Sign in to follow this  
rapala

M. Tolbert

How will he be used in a blowout game, does he get the ball more or less?

I'd say the same amount... He will split, get 3rd and GL.

Are you talking this weekend? He seemed dinged up on Sunday, so my guess would be that they would try to rest him if the game was a blowout.

In general, it seems like both Mathews and Tolbert have some fumbling issues, so it is not like either is better from a "sure hands" standpoint. I would also expect that they would not be passing as much if they are way up, so in that case, I would expect Mathews would get more work.

I know it's in SD but I wouldn't assume it's going to be a blowout. It's a divisional battle so anything can happen, and SD seems to not show up when they should sometimes.

I'm thinking Tolbert gets his usual work but this game could be a R Mathews coming out party.

Never mind Tolbert's toe, Mathews just looked like a much better player last week. More importantly, Mathews began chipping away significantly at playing time in the red zone and passing situations, which was the entire lynchpin of Tolbert's value. With Mathews playing like a 1st round pick, the coach's increased trust in him, and Tolbert playing at something less than 100%, the stage is set for a decisive turn in this RBBC.

If he's healthy enough to play I can't imagine not starting him, unless you have superior options. He could easily score a couple TD's against KC.

yeah--given KC's defensive performance so far (stacked up against SD's passing offense), i suspect that this is going to be an enormous outing for the SD run game in the second half. i'm starting mathews and don't have tolbert, but if i had both, i would be inclined to start both.

Starting Tolbert.

Thinking that w/ Gates maybe limited, he might pick up some of the slack in the passing game there.

Starting Tolbert happily. All sorts of opinions saying "mathews is outplaying tolbert.". Lol thats not what im seeing. Im not saying the reverse either because they are two completely different players. Tolberts 3 tds really sucked compared to mathews week 1 huh? And im sure ppr leagues just hated him catching a ton of balls last week.

Sure mathews is looking good between the 20s wich is GOOD for Tolberts value. I want someone to keep the chains moving, and Matthews again, is a different style of runner. They even gave Tolbert a few GL carries last week so he couldv had a 1 yd td. Loving Tolbert, loving Mathews playing well as hes supposed to. Why not just admire both guys?

Never mind Tolbert's toe, Mathews just looked like a much better player last week. More importantly, Mathews began chipping away significantly at playing time in the red zone and passing situations, which was the entire lynchpin of Tolbert's value. With Mathews playing like a 1st round pick, the coach's increased trust in him, and Tolbert playing at something less than 100%, the stage is set for a decisive turn in this RBBC.

Strong use of the word lynchpin here....

yes in 2 leagues

benching Jamaal Charles - :)

benching Mark Ingram - ok, so this choice is a little harder

Strong use of the word lynchpin here....

note that he said it was the entire lynchpin, not just a fraction of the pin. that's primo boldness.

Been debating Tate, Tolbert and Blount.

Pretty sure Tate is getting his first start of the season.

I'm in the same exact boat.

Been debating Tate, Tolbert and Blount.

Pretty sure Tate is getting his first start of the season.

I'm likely starting all 3. I'm considering Starks instead of Tolbert at my flex spot but it's mostly a wash. :dunno:

I'm likely starting all 3. I'm considering Starks instead of Tolbert at my flex spot but it's mostly a wash. :dunno:

Yeah ... can't decide between those 3 ... not a bad problem to have. Wish I had that problem. I'm starting Burleson in the flex as Megatron insurance.

There is no doubt that Tolbert will continue to have value as a pass catcher and TD vulture on a prolific offense. But we have seen Tolbert's ceiling. He is at it right now.

Mathews, despite playing in nearly an equal timeshare through 2 weeks, is on pace for almost 2,000 total yards. If both players remain healthy, it is highly likely that Mathews' yardage totals will dwarf Tolbert's by year's end, with the only question being TD distribution between the two. If it's any less than a 2-to-1 split on TDs in favor of Tolbert (last year it was only 11 to 7 with Mathews missing part or all of 6 games), then Mathews is the player to own- maybe by far.

Tolbert = BJGE

He's gonna have huge games, and he's gonna not be needed some games. They gave it to him on 4th and goal at the 1 yard line last week. Turns out Jarrod Mayo is a pretty good tackler, or nobody would be questioning Tolbert's value.

Tolbert's Week 1 explosion I think has inflated his perceived value...hell, I benefitted from it with Foster being out! But, going forward, and from those I have heard from watching both guys, Matthews is the more dynamic player, and the differentiation between Matthews & Tolbert is shrinking. These TD goal line backs are feast or famine. The other issue is KC's defense. If they are as bad as they have been, Matthews may be scoring from the 20 yard line and beyond.

Staying away from Tolbert, going with Tate & Fred Jackson. My RBs are disappointing me in general!

It's obviously a tasty matchup for the Chargers, and I was tempted to give him the start - even if it came down to him feasting on the scraps. But with two other decent RBs without a "P" under their status and reasonably good matchups, the injury was the tie-breaker. Makes sense, until Tolbert posts six TDs and the family begins hiding all the sharp objects. Again.

tolbert is done. Matthews getting not just goal line carries, but also in on passing downs, catching passes, etcetcetc. UGH!

Fat boy Tolber is done.

Do i drop him or hold him?

Imma hold on as I have atleast 1 player head of him that needs to get dropped. If Matthews gets hurt Tolbert is one of the better backups to have in the league...

Relax kids, the sky isn't falling. Lets wait and see what how Matthews handles his his new found responsibilities.

It's one half of football.

LMAO! Outside an injury, tolbert has completely lost his value. Matthews was used in all the situations that were meant to be tolbert. Goalline, passing downs, blahblahblah. And Matthews produced high level. It's over for tolbert...

LMAO! Outside an injury, tolbert has completely lost his value. Matthews was used in all the situations that were meant to be tolbert. Goalline, passing downs, blahblahblah. And Matthews produced high level. It's over for tolbert...

You're right there are only 13 weeks left in the season and Matthews has shown he has durability issues. I'm dropping Tolbert.

You're right there are only 13 weeks left in the season and Matthews has shown he has durability issues. I'm dropping Tolbert.

Joey, if you want to twist words to relieve some of the anxiety you're experiencing over Tolbert's current worthlessness, go for it. Rest assured I won't be losing any sleep over it. I stated both that 'outside an injury' and 'I'm still holding onto him.' Neither of those things change the fact that as it stands right now, Tolbert is worthless. So you can cite the 13 weeks left, cite matthews' durability, whatever else you want. Won't change the situation. let the anxiety go man, it's just FF...