Sign in to follow this  
My Negro!

Thoughts on Mike Tolbert

Even if Matthews comes back Tolbert seems to be worth a start. 60-70 total yards and the goal line carries. Plus add in the fact that Matthews is always hurt makes a good case for Tolbert.

Even if Matthews xomes back Tolbert seems to be worth a start. 60-70 total yards and the goal line carries. Plus add in the fact that Matthews is always hurt makes a good case for Tolbert.

He is definitely a seviceable RB3 when Mathews plays and he is a strong RB2 when Mathews is out. Is this a question or a statement thread?

Even if Matthews xomes back Tolbert seems to be worth a start. 60-70 total yards and the goal line carries. Plus add in the fact that Matthews is always hurt makes a good case for Tolbert.

I own both and it's not a bad situation when one of them is out, but the kind of stuff you're saying is what was said in the beginning of the year. Then Mathews started taking GL carries and getting more into the passing game. It may be a coin toss in the future.

In a PPR league, Tolbert is an RB3 with lots of upside even when Mathews plays. And as previously stated, if Mathews goes down, Tolbert is a STRONG RB2.

He is what he is, a skilled short yardage/goaline and 3rd down back who is going to excel when he gets all the touches and is still flex to low RB2 worthy when Matthews plays.

Early in the year, you could argue that Tobert was a RB2 regardless of who started. I don't think that's true anymore. If both are healthy, Mathews is the #1 guy and Tolbert is the change up who will get about half of the goal line work, but he's not the exclusive goal line back. So, with Mathews out, Tobert is a RB1. If Mathews is healthy, Tolbert is a RB3 in my opinion.

I just traded him for Dwayne Bowe. I needed a WR #3

Thanks, that helps me with his worth. Was going to package him and Julio Jones for an attempt to get MJD.

I traded him for Cruz before this week.

I'm considering dealing him for Cruz. Also had a deal on the table for Tebow / Tolbert for Fitz and may pull the trigger this week.

Any word on Ryan Mathews status for Thursday's game?

He practiced yesterday and I fully expect him to play. How long he will last before his bagina is pulled again, is anyone's guess. :dunno:

He practiced yesterday and I fully expect him to play. How long he will last before his bagina is pulled again, is anyone's guess. :dunno:

Well....he was listed as limited in yesterday's "Walk through" practice. :lol:

Ryan Mathews (groin) was listed as "limited" in the Chargers' walkthrough practice Monday.

NBC San Diego's Michael Gehlken confirms that there's "plenty of optimism" about Mathews' chances of suiting up on Thursday Night Football. He'll need to make it through Wednesday unscathed, but the Chargers currently plan to have Mathews back for at least a rotation with Week 9 fill-in starter Mike Tolbert.

The guy is a true throwback to the NFL of the 60's. A real man's man who laughs off any injuries and will play through everything. One of the NFL's true tough guys.

Tolbert is an unsung PPR hero. I didn't follow Matthews' college career, but everything I read on the guy is that he has never made it through a full season, either in college or the pros. Holding onto Matthews.

Tolbert is an unsung PPR hero. I didn't follow Matthews' college career, but everything I read on the guy is that he has never made it through a full season, either in college or the pros. Holding onto Matthews.

I am hoping Matthews tears that groin muscle, Tolbert would be huge with Matthews on IR.

I am hoping Matthews tears that groin muscle, Tolbert would be huge with Matthews on IR.

Nah. It is much better that Mathews is on the active roster so that the owner has to keep him stashed on his bench. A weekly situation where he is ruled our an injury early in the games he plays is plenty good.

Sounds like hopeful, and sadistic, Tolbert owners.

Truth is Mathews will have had plenty of rest by missing the Packer game and may be fresh and ready to carry the ball 20 times tomorrow night.

Sounds like hopeful, and sadistic, Tolbert owners.

Truth is Mathews will have had plenty of rest by missing the Packer game and may be fresh and ready to carry the ball 20 times tomorrow night. Of course, he will pull his hammy during warmups.

fixed

fixed

Meh...he was pretty healthy at the beginning of the year and was taking over, sending Tolbert to the bench more often than not. You're just a nervous Tolbert owner. I own both and would love to see Mathews healthy and starting because he's got a ton more talent than Tolbert ever will.

So ... who should I play as my RB2 and flex (with Foster)? Two of 3:

Blount

Tolbert

Starks

Lynch

Tate

Thoughts appreciated. :cheers:

Any word on Ryan Mathews status for Thursday's game?

Full practice yesterday. He's definitely playing. And probably starting. But groins can linger. My hunch is that he'll start and be the feature back, but he won't get to the 5 to 1 carry breakdown he had over Tolbert before he was hurt. I see more of a 3 to 1 like it was at the beginning of the year. With that in mind, I'd say Mathews is a low end RB1 and Tolbert isn't a terrible play either. I have both and I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet.

I just traded Tolbert/Bryant for Welker. I've been waiting for 1 game for him to blow up (missed my chance week 1) so I did it this week. He's done good for me but I don't like having to watch an injury report for someone who's not on my team (Mathews).

Ryan Mathews (groin) practiced fully for the second straight day Wednesday, and is listed as probable for Thursday against the Raiders.

Mathews will be active after sitting out in Week 9, but at less than 100 percent will probably cede more touches than usual to Mike Tolbert, especially in short-yardage situations. However, he's still a solid RB2 against the Raiders' 29th ranked run defense, and should be typically active in the passing game with Malcom Floyd sidelined with a hip injury.

Honestly now?....I think I'm rolling with Mathews over Tolbert for sure. He practiced the past couple days with no limitation and has had a nice little vacation so he should be rested and ready to go. He may have a big night.

So, who you rolling with tonight.....Tolbert or Mathews?

As I stated before, I've got both. Unless I hear he had a setback, I'm rolling with Mathews :o

I have a feeling he's pretty close to healthy and gets the bulk of the work tonight.

Anyone have insider news on the SD situation?

As I stated before, I've got both. Unless I hear he had a setback, I'm rolling with Mathews :o

I have a feeling he's pretty close to healthy and gets the bulk of the work tonight.

Mathews unless there's a setback. He has a chance to break a long one against a terrible run D, and I think he gets smarter with his runs trying to stay healthy.

Mathews has much better upside, albeit with more risk. For a Thursday game, I would roll with him. If this were a Sunday night game and you just needed 6-7 points, I might point you to Tolbert.

I have both and I'm definitely playing Ryan Mathews. No inside info here, but I do think they take it a bit easy on him and he gets maybe 20 total touches. But against the Raiders, who are terrible at stopping the run, but even worse against pass catching backs, that could easily result in something like 85/60/1TD for Mathews.

But like the SD/GB game, I see another shootout coming tonight. So what I can't decide is whether or not to play Tobert as my RB2. I really think he's going to get almost as many touches as Mathews tonight. Just not sure if I want to play him over Chris Johnson with a cake matchup in Carolina, or Marques Colston against Atlanta. Right now I'm going with CJ2K.

Mathews has much better upside, albeit with more risk. For a Thursday game, I would roll with him. If this were a Sunday night game and you just needed 6-7 points, I might point you to Tolbert.

Actually, I think that's pretty sound advice.

But like the SD/GB game, I see another shootout coming tonight. So what I can't decide is whether or not to play Tobert as my RB2. I really think he's going to get almost as many touches as Mathews tonight.

I'm in a similar boat trying to decide between Tolbert and Greene. Probably going to roll w/ Tolbert so that I have a reason to watch all of tonight's game. Plus it seems like whenever I start Greene -- like this past week -- all my other RB options would've been better...

you want to talk about decisions .... i'm clueless as to who to start. Who would you start if you were me, can only pick 2:

Frank Gore

Mike Tolbert

Michael Bush

Willis McGahee

Chris Johnson

last week i started gore and bush and lost my game by 1 point ... and CJ, McGahee and Tolbert all put up better numbers than gore. I just cant see benching a guy who has 5 consecutive 100 yrd games. But im definately starting gore, question is;

which other back gets the start?

you want to talk about decisions .... i'm clueless as to who to start. Who would you start if you were me, can only pick 2:

Frank Gore

Mike Tolbert

Michael Bush

Willis McGahee

Chris Johnson

last week i started gore and bush and lost my game by 1 point ... and CJ, McGahee and Tolbert all put up better numbers than gore. I just cant see benching a guy who has 5 consecutive 100 yrd games. But im definately starting gore, question is;

which other back gets the start?

wow that is tough.

Bush I like for a TD tonight, he has done well against the Chargers over his career

Tolbert is easy to rule out of that list.

Mcgahee has a good matchup and that option offense might be tempting as well.

CJ2YPC still rides my bench everyone saying he had a decent game last week, but 60 rushing and 40 rec doesnt impress me

all-in-all I role with Bush tonight, because Gore is a little banged up and you can swap Mcgahee in for him if they say Gore might not be 100%

I'm in a similar boat trying to decide between Tolbert and Greene. Probably going to roll w/ Tolbert so that I have a reason to watch all of tonight's game. Plus it seems like whenever I start Greene -- like this past week -- all my other RB options would've been better...

Greene will do that to you. After owning Greene for the last couple years (finally traded him), I've finally concluded he's just not a very talented back. He's had every opportunity in the world to shine...games where LTs been hurt, games where the Jets are up by 20 at the half, games where the Jets are playing a lousy run defense. None of it seems to matter. He's just a below-average talent in a great situation. The situation is the only reason he's putting up any points at all.

Tolbert is a very underrated RB and Mathews is overrated. They have performed the exact same this year. Yet Mathews is talked about like he's an elite RB. Tolbert is the TD scorer and pass catcher. Mathews gets the carries and the rushing yards. If you have to choose between the two Mathews probably has the most upside but Tolbert is just as consistent.

Tolbert is a very underrated RB and Mathews is overrated. They have performed the exact same this year. Yet Mathews is talked about like he's an elite RB. Tolbert is the TD scorer and pass catcher. Mathews gets the carries and the rushing yards. If you have to choose between the two Mathews probably has the most upside but Tolbert is just as consistent.

Mathews is an elite talent. If he could ever stay healthy, I think that would become clear. As good as Tolbert is out of the backfield, Mathews is even better.

If you count injury prone-ness as being overrated, then yes, Mathews is overrated...