Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Kyle Orton released by Denver

Collusion!!!! :mad:

They should have paid the majority of his remaining salary and traded him to the Bears for a 6th round pick or conditional 5th

they cant trade him the deadline is passed

Broncos waived QB Kyle Orton.

Interesting. The Broncos weren't going back to Orton, so the hope is that a QB-needy team such as the Bears, Texans, or Chiefs will claim the remainder of his $7.4 million salary. The obvious dot-connecting is with the Bears and former coach Lovie Smith, though Mike Martz's offense is much different than the one Orton ran under Ron Turner from 2005-2008. Tim Tebow is locked in as the starter in Denver.

I told you guys this morning in the Cutler Hand thread that i had this info. :)

Lovie called him today. Went down around 2pm. This should be interesting because they play Denver...and denver still has to pay him even though he goes to chicago. So denver could pay him to beat them.

Id imagine Chicago will pick up part of his deal.

Lovie called him today. Went down around 2pm. This should be interesting because they play Denver...and denver still has to pay him even though he goes to chicago. So denver could pay him to beat them.

either Chicago pays all of it, or Denver pays all of it. If hes claimed on waivers, the claiming team is on the hook, if not hes a free agent and the releasing team pays it all. This is NOT a negotiation

obviously because of brady quinns limitless talents. maybe orton was an atheist.

LOL. Or maybe Orton is pro choice. We all know how Jesus...cough cough..Tebow feels about that.

The waiver claim order is reverse order of standings - but is strength of schedule what determines who is 2nd/3rd/4th between CAR, STL, and MIN? Using ESPN's standings chart sorted by league, it shows a current "standings" order, but I don't know if that's accurate.

If this is the current reverse order of standings, from the ESPN standings chart, Chicago would be a long ways down the list, and he'd have to learn the Martz system in a hell of a hurry:

IND – a position need, but why would they?

CAR – Cam

STL – Sam

MIN - Ponder

MIA – Moore coming along nicely

JAX – Not likely with the early pick on Gabbert

ARI – lot of money already invested in Kolb, but…

WAS – Possibly? Grossman will implode again soon…

CLE – May play better than McCoy, but they wouldn’t

KC – Intriguing, but unlikely to pay

TB – No

SD – Would probably perform better than Rivers has :), but would never happen

PHI – Uh…no

SEA – Maybe if Jackson didn’t have some decent games and W’s under his belt recently

BUF – The Lumberjack just got paid

NYJ – Sanchez

DEN – N/A

TEN – Locker is their plan for the future (and present, for now)

NYG – No

ATL – No

OAK – No

DAL – No

CIN – No

CHI – One of the most talked-about, but would have to learn Martz’s complicated system…

DET – No

NE – No

NO – No

PIT – Fine with Batch & Dixon

HOU – Interesting thought…but that’s a few teams who’d have to pass him over first

BAL – No

SF – Not likely – Smith’s performed well enough

GB – No

J. Fox & J. Elway has started the path of suckdom for the next decade for the Denver Broncos.

Mark this post.

Tim Tebow will never win a superbowl. PERIOD. .

J. Fox & J. Elway has started the path of suckdom for the next decade for the Denver Broncos.

Mark this post.

Ravens haven't won a superbowl for a decade, so? We are still competitive and fun to watch.

It's getting a little ahead of the game to be planning on him in a Chicago uniform, regardless of how often they've talked on the phone. That is unless Pioli was on the phone call with Lovie and Kyle today, too! I'd say it's unlikely KC puts a claim in and pays him, but I wouldn't be completely surprised, as they are still only 2 games back in the West, and they have a W over both SD and OAK already.

No guarantee he goes to the Bears.

With all the talk of a trade to Miami in preseason they could grab him for nothing now. Maybe not with Moore playing well. Clayton on ESPN throwing out KC as a possibility. Think he said Texans had priority over Bears too if they are not sold on Leinart. Glazer hearing KC might too.

I'd gladly welcome neckbeard back until hopefully Cutler is back late in year though. Maybe Hanie can do enough but I'd like to have a back up plan. Hopefully Bears stop being cheap for a minute and pay for Orton if no one else claims him.

If Clayton was saying HOU would have priority over CHI, then the standings on ESPN's page I used to do the "chart" in post 11 don't include the waiver tiebreaker. I'd be interested to see the actual waiver listing, similar to the ones all over the place last year when MIN released Moss.

I'm sure it won't be long - ESPN will have something up shortly, if someone doesn't already have a link to an existing one.

It's getting a little ahead of the game to be planning on him in a Chicago uniform, regardless of how often they've talked on the phone. That is unless Pioli was on the phone call with Lovie and Kyle today, too! I'd say it's unlikely KC puts a claim in and pays him, but I wouldn't be completely surprised, as they are still only 2 games back in the West, and they have a W over both SD and OAK already.

I believe they are only in the hook for the remaining 2.5 million.

This might give them a chance to switch gears if Orton lights it up. Cassel have proven he's a serviceable QB at best in this league.

I believe they are only in the hook for the remaining 2.5 million.

This might give them a chance to switch gears if Orton lights it up. Cassel have proven he's a serviceable QB at best in this league.

Rotoworld puts the figure at $1.3 million. The more I think about it, the more I feel like KC makes the move. As a Chiefs fan, I can handle that.

Though I'd almost rather see him go to Chicago and break the hearts of Bears fans who think he could pick that system up and perform in time to salvage their season. *Yeah - not so much a Chicago fan* :)

Rotoworld puts the figure at $1.3 million. The more I think about it, the more I feel like KC makes the move. As a Chiefs fan, I can handle that.

Though I'd almost rather see him go to Chicago and break the hearts of Bears fans who think he could pick that system up and perform in time to salvage their season. *Yeah - not so much a Chicago fan* :)

I hope it is the Chiefs so Bowe becomes a stud again.

If Clayton was saying HOU would have priority over CHI, then the standings on ESPN's page I used to do the "chart" in post 11 don't include the waiver tiebreaker. I'd be interested to see the actual waiver listing, similar to the ones all over the place last year when MIN released Moss.

I'm sure it won't be long - ESPN will have something up shortly, if someone doesn't already have a link to an existing one.

Yes that's what he says. Something about waiver ties broken by difficulty of schedule.

Lombardi just said Hou can't afford the cap hit unless they make some other moves.

Ok the latest tidbit i have is that his agent is basically calling other teams letting them know that he wants to play in chicago.

Kc is most likely out as their season is going to crap, and pointless to pay a guy that much for a dwindling season.

The other team in this is actually Washington. I guess Shanahan has called about him several times this year. Its unlikely....but you never know.

Again....this is all pretty fluid...but they sound like the are trying to get him back to chicago.

Ok the latest tidbit i have is that his agent is basically calling other teams letting them know that he wants to play in chicago.

Kc is most likely out as their season is going to crap, and pointless to pay a guy that much for a dwindling season.

The other team in this is actually Washington. I guess Shanahan has called about him several times this year. Its unlikely....but you never know.

Again....this is all pretty fluid...but they sound like the are trying to get him back to chicago.

Skins is interesting ... at least he could parlay a few good weeks this year into a new contract and a job next year. No chance for that in Chicago or Houston.

Skins is interesting ... at least he could parlay a few good weeks this year into a new contract and a job next year. No chance for that in Chicago or Houston.

Good point.

Well, I hope that when his agent is calling these teams and saying he'd like to play in Chicago...they are telling him "tough shiznit" in return. That's not how things work and it's actually funny to me that his agent would try to circumvent the system like that. There's a waiver system in place for a reason. Dunn can express Orton's preference to a handful of teams before Chicago, if he wants, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get hung up on a few times today in response.

KC's season was actually not going so badly, considering their bad start. Their schedule looks not so great, but they are definitely not out of the AFC West picture. Adding Orton at $1.3 million and seeing how things go would definitely make things interesting in the West.

Well, I hope that when his agent is calling these teams and saying he'd like to play in Chicago...they are telling him "tough shiznit" in return. That's not how things work and it's actually funny to me that his agent would try to circumvent the system like that. There's a waiver system in place for a reason. Dunn can express Orton's preference to a handful of teams before Chicago, if he wants, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get hung up on a few times today in response.

KC's season was actually not going so badly, considering their bad start. Their schedule looks not so great, but they are definitely not out of the AFC West picture. Adding Orton at $1.3 million and seeing how things go would definitely make things interesting in the West.

Yeah but keep in mind we're talking about Kyle Orton here......guessing most teams dont need him or have a guy just like him already as a backup.

I just dont see a banged up 4-6 kansas city team bothering. But.....who knows.

and houston is out:

The Houston Chronicle reports the Texans have no interest in claiming QB Kyle Orton on waivers.

This hardly a surprise. The Texans are confident in Matt Leinart, who has been in Gary Kubiak's offense for two years. Any QB they sign will be a third-stringer behind Leinart and T.J. Yates. The Chicago Tribune and Fox Sports' Jay Glazer both report the Bears do indeed plan to put in a claim for Orton, though he's expected to back up Caleb Hanie if awarded to Chicago.

Mark this post.

WOW! Bold prediction. Like Kyle Orton, or about 27 of the other guys currently starting at QB in the NFL, ever will?

If Orton is pushing all these other teams not to pick him up because he wants to go to the Bears, and the Bears are 30th on the WW list, then why would they even bother to put a claim in for him. Just let him clear and pick him up as a free agent so they aren't on the hook for his salary. If someone else puts a claim in for him, oh well, they wouldn't have gotten him anyway.

This seems like it could backfire for Denver. Orton could very well end up leading Chicago against Denver while Denver is still paying his salary. Seems like someone in the front office there didn't think this through very well.

Miami, Washington etc, are not options, Orton is a FREE AGENT after this season. So why would Miami want to claim him anyways, only playoff potential teams will be interested

Houston has already said they arent interested. Bears are obvious choice

Denver did right by Orton by giving him his release in a week where a number of teams are hurting at QB. Perhaps a reward for him being a good soldier duing Tebow time.

I doubt that he will make it down to either Houston or Chicago on the waiver priority, though I'm sure that both teams would put in a claim. Edit: It sounds like Houston will be riding with Leinart and won't put in a claim.

Miami, Washington etc, are not options, Orton is a FREE AGENT after this season. So why would Miami want to claim him anyways, only playoff potential teams will be interested

Houston has already said they arent interested. Bears are obvious choice

who was orton's fav receiver in chi-town ???

You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Chicago can't "pick up part of his deal." If Orton gets claimed on waivers then that team has to pay his salary for the rest of the year. If he doesn't get claimed, then Denver has to pay it. Unless he signs with another team, in which case Denver pays the difference between what he would have made with them and what he makes with the new team. THAT is the only way Chicago could "pick up part of Orton's deal" but then you can't really negotiate that part, can you?

Mark this post.

This first statement is patently wrong. Denver was on the path to suckdom long before Fox and Elway were hired.

Here's the truth though: Neither Fox nor Elway are convinced that Tebow is the answer to the QB question there. They are guaging his progress - his ability to get a quicker release, his ability to make downfield reads, not just option reads, his ability to improve his pocket presence (as opposed to just the read option), and lastly to improve his completion percentage. This year is an audition for next year and the future, and his success in the current modified read option offense could buy him time to make the transition from novelty QB to a respectable NFL QB.

Regardless of the progress of the Tebow experiment, I would be shocked if Denver did not draft a QB in the 1st round next year. Then the question will become whether Tebow develops the over-all QB game to keep the new talent on the bench.

Most here know I have not been on either side of the love/hate thing with Tebow. While I've been slightly disappointed in the improvement in his fundamentals over the last off-season, I would never sell Tebow short. I own him in aat least one deep keeper league.

IMO your second statement is wrong as well. It is simply too early to make this (or any) kind of prediction for Tebow's long term future. Elway himself was a terrible QB with around a 50% comletion rate and had less success than Tebow his 1st year.