Sign in to follow this  
DrG

Using the wire good or bad for you

I found it fine for kickers, but a little inconsistent for defenses this year partially because people in my league tend to carry 2 defenses.

I had no success at wr moving too slow on a couple guys and getting little out of fill ins DHB and JAvant and Dexter Lackluster.

Rb though was where I made up for many of my mistakes.

Jackie Battle sold high for Eli

Joe McK sold high for Crabtree

Added KSmith MoMo Spiller

Celek a suitable 1 week fill in at TE

Most other waiver adds were speculative and did nothing but churn

not for me, after selecting jared cook in like round 12 as my #1 TE i am 13 weeks in still searching for a TE. Fred Davis gave me one good week(dropped him couple weeks later)

I have reaped zero benefits from the WW this year. Had I kept DeMarco would be different story.

Robinson was my only good grab. Actually, I had Cruz for a week but dropped him for reasons I don't know.

I had Cruz and dropped him for Andre Caldwell when the Simpson/pot news broke. :doh:

Also had and dropped Robinson when Austin came back. :wall:

Off WW for me & still on my roster:

Tebow (grabbed the wk b4 he started)

Helu (been sitting on him since wk 9)

Robinson (as soon as Austin went down)

Steelers D (after slow start)

Spiller (2 hrs. b4 Fred was put on IR - gambled & won)

Cundiff (p/u when he was dropped during Baltimores bye wk - nice end of year schedule)

I hit more than I missed this year. Only miss was picking up Battle over Murray.

I've managed to live off the WW, put together enough decent weeks, and sneak into the playoffs. Obviously I am very lucky skilled.

Random names that have been on my team this year, it's a who's who list of who????:

Michael Jenkins

Early Doucet

Donald Brown

Maurice Morris

Joe Flacco

Mark Sanchez

Lance Moore

Mohammed Massaquoi

Dexter McCluster

Dane Sanzenbacher

Jason Avant

That's not a complete list, either, and doesn't include kickers or defenses.

I should have finished DFL this year with how my draft picks played out, but since so many people lost their big names our season became a huge game of roster management with less than stellar players.

This has been a fantastic WW year:

Cruz - grabbed him as soon as Hixon went down; had been reading/hearing from NY fans since last preseason how good he was, turned out they were right I just did not expect the Giants to do the smart thing and stick with him.

Antonio Brown

Laurent Robinson

DeMarco Murray

Helu

Spiller

Kevin Smith

Michael Bush

Damian Williams

Den. Moore

Santana Moss

Fred Davis

Sproles

DHB (for a little while he was very good)

Tebow

Decker

Texans DST

Seahawks DST

Biggest disappointment: the St Louis and Oakland WR corps.

Biggest surprise: Murray's 250 yard day. And Cruz, way beyond expectations.

To do this I have been willing to take chances, add players before they turn in a good week, to cut or trade guys like Mike Williams TB (he got better), Miles Austin (hm, jury's still out), and Cedric Benson. And obviously they are not all still on my team.

I've won 2 straight championships in my main $$$ league doing this, I'm 7-6 (ok I made soem bad lineiup decisions along teh way, there was some pretty poor pickups too and several poor starts from teh above before tyhey got going) and I am in the playoffs again.

Players I've added in my two leagues:

-Cam Newton

-Tim Tebow

-Victor Cruz

-Fred Davis

Players I've dropped prematurely:

-Victor Cruz

-Reggie Bush

-Jordy Nelson

I am one who is always has a ton of waiver moves throughout the year. But it's a double edged sword. Sometimes I get caught up in trying to get the "next big thing" and I am too impatient, and lose out on a solid performer.

In my league, 1 waiver wire move can make the difference. Last year, Vick was the "hot" move, several years ago Warner, this year Cam Newton.

I got Gron and Lynch off waivers...Gron early and he has been a starter ever since. Picked up Lynch 5 weeks ago.

We don't play a team D and use IDPs. My best pick up was D'Qwell Jackson.

All have been huge for me this year.

League A: hurting at receiver I was able to pick up Crabtree, . 5 ppr so hes been a consistent wr 3.

I dumped a. Brown and j. Nelson first week so someone got them.

B. Lost McFadden, forte, Starks and dwill sucked. Was able to grab Gerahart and spiller at rb and maintain my playoff spot.

I haven't tended to trade often, only one this year, but 5 weeks ago I was hurting at receiver and another team at rb. I gave Tolbert for Cruz.

I had Cruz and dropped him for Andre Caldwell when the Simpson/pot news broke. :doh:

Also had and dropped Robinson when Austin came back. :wall:

[/quoteOuch....as bad as me dropping HELU in 2 leagues (twice in one), and now looking at an end to my season in BOTH !!!!! :shocking:

I churned the wire this year a lot. Mostly I used my flex for my pick of the week on the wire. Ended up turning some of those guys around for players.

Example.

Zach Miller and Lloyd for Graham.

DJax and Early Doucet for Percy Harvin and Benson.

Traded some of my waiver guys only to pick them up again (e.x. Burleson).

Grabbed HOU defense after week 1 and have had them since.

Edited by SexyRexy

This year I picked up

Roy Helu

Michael Bush

Victor Cruz

Darren Sproles

Yeah, I think the WW is good for you :rolleyes:

I live and die off the WW, mostly because i am a horrible drafter :) In three leagues, i have made 120 roster moves combined.

Victor Cruz

Demarco Murray

Laurent Robinson

Tim Tebow

Mike Bush

Fred Davis (2 leagues)

Maurice Morris

Toby Gerhart

Scott Chandler

Have all been multiple week starters for me. And that doesnt even couint all the one week fill ins like Vince Young and Jason Campbell, other TE's i ran through replacing Marcedes Lewis (who i drafted in all three leagues) and dozens of team defenses i have rotated on and off my roster

Every year there's a handful of players grabbed off the WW that either put a fantasy team into contention or over the top.

That's why you gotta give every player a fair shot. Best example I can give:

I didn't even bother with Victor Cruz. I wrote off his big Week 3 performance as fluke and basically ignored him. My argument was that the defender slipped on his long TD (74 yards) of the day and otherwise no one would have noticed him.

Obviously, I was wrong.

This year I picked up

Roy Helu

Michael Bush

Victor Cruz

In one league I'm starting these 3 from the wire, and Santana Moss this week. On my bench are K. Smith, LRob, and Tate, all of whom have contributed from the wire this year. Plus several others who've churned; I've made 24 moves this year. Somehow my team is 10-3 and tied for first. When you draft Charles, AJ, and Hillis in the first 4 rounds, you gotta do what you gotta do... injuries have killed me and it has been a lot of work, but it is not really work because we all do this because we enjoy it, and this is probably my most gratifying season to date.

In my league, the top teams almost always have one or two big free agent gets that put them over. Our top team this year got Gronkowski and Cruz early in the season, otherwise he would have died with the mega-bust that is D-Jax. Our #2 team got Graham in the preseason and Michael Bush after he was cut twice. Very seldom do we see a team that can just stand pat on their original roster and be among the top contenders at the end. In fact, of all 6 of our playoff teams, only 1 debatably does not have a single key free agent acquisition on its roster and even he got Palmer off the wire to solidify his backup QB slot.

Picked up Tolbert in Week 9, let him show me a good time with 19 points, then immediately dumped him for someone else. A WW one night stand. Felt cheap afterwards. Tolbert's been passed around like a drunken sorority girl this year. He's been rostered for quickies by eight of our 12 teams. DeAngelo Williams isn't far behind.

Newton might not win rookie of the year, but he's likely the WW player of the year. Tebow gets the title of "player you probably didn't need, but picked up anyway so nobody else would."