Sign in to follow this  
Reality

New Orleans Saints at San Francisco 49'ers

The 9'ers hit hard.

Defense matters.

So does Vernon Davis!!!!!! WooooooooooooooHooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pointstosky: :pointstosky:

49ers still have to prove they can move the ball.

I think they might be in trouble.

All things considered right now I'll take the Saints to pull this one out.

And just as I type that another turnover.

Wow 49ers really came to play physically.

Most impressive I've seen since maybe Baltimore 2000.

Some of the coaching or maybe just the first half results leave a lot to be desired though.

They needed to be up way more at the half and are not capitalizing.

Niners play calling horrible in the first half.

I'd narrow it down to the 2nd quarter, we definitely should have run a little more. Can't argue with how the first one went.

Wasn't that an ineligible man downfield on that Alex Smith run?

On a run play??????

The real question is should have Smith pulled a Westbrook and fell at the 1 yard line on purpose? Kick a 7 yard fg and win.

As the Lions didn't deserve to win last week with their defense, the Saints get the same today. They managed to make Alex Smith look like Steve Young. :doh:

On a run play??????

The real question is should have Smith pulled a Westbrook and fell at the 1 yard line on purpose? Kick a 7 yard fg and win.

yes.

1326589065[/url]' post='4679983']

Wasn't that an ineligible man downfield on that Alex Smith run?

Ineligible man downfield is only a penalty if they actually throw the ball.

The better team didn't win this game.

Saints just beat themselves with those five turnovers. I would also add that at least a couple of them were gift wrapped to the Niners DST instead of them actually forcing them.

1326589256[/url]' post='4679989']

On a run play??????

Westbrook pulled the play under two minutes and when the other team had no timeouts left and with the LEAD. That game was over when he did it. IN this game, new Orleans still had a timeout and the 2:00 minute warning was still coming. I think new Orleans would have gotten the ball back with around 30 seconds left and needing a field goal to win. And SF still had to kick a field goal. If they run that down and botch a snap (they would have kicked it in on 4th down) then that goes down as the worst play in NFL history.

It's not a run play until the QB crosses the line of scrimmage, right?

Its not a pass play until he throws the ball right? If youre going to run the ball you can have every olineman run 70 yards to the goal line before the qb even takes off if you want.

Everything else aside, that was one of the most exciting football games I've seen.

Not a fan of either team - must have been even more unbelievable for SF & NO fans.

I would also add that at least a couple of them were gift wrapped to the Niners DST instead of them actually forcing them.

Please explain.

The third quarter was a snore, but that was a great game. The Saints fan in me wants to complain about the illegal helmet to helmet hit on Thomas which ended up being the difference in the game (turnover instead of TD), but given all of the other TOs in the game, it's tough to feel cheated or anything since the Saints shouldn't have won yet still had a chance in the end. The ridiculous thing was watching the clock, seeing Brees with 2:11 left and confident he'd pull out the game winner, but then of all people, Alex Smith does the same with less on the clock.

Looking forward, I think the 49ers can handle Green Bay. After all, what is Green Bay but the Saints without a run game? Still bummed that I won't get a Saints vs. Tebow Superbowl though, and I don't think any future games up will be as exciting as yesterday's.

The Saints fan in me wants to complain about the illegal helmet to helmet hit on Thomas which ended up being the difference in the game (turnover instead of TD), but given all of the other TOs in the game, it's tough to feel cheated or anything since the Saints shouldn't have won yet still had a chance in the end.

I certainly agree with you that the game wasnt won or lost with that one play but its still so tough to swallow that the call was so blatantly missed. Ive see so many debatable flags thrown for helmet to helmet and in this one clear instance a player gets knocked out and nobody even acknowledges it. I just wonder what might have been had we taken a 7-0 lead or even just 3-0 and not given up all the momentum that the turnover caused.

Same could be said for last week when the lions got cheated a touchdown on the Brees fumble though so I guess it bounces both ways.

The Saints fan in me wants to complain about the illegal helmet to helmet hit on Thomas which ended up being the difference in the game (turnover instead of TD...

There's no rule against a helmet-to-helmet hit on a ballcarrier past the line of scrimmage. None.

Rule applies to QB and defenseless receivers only.

I certainly agree with you that the game wasnt won or lost with that one play but its still so tough to swallow that the call was so blatantly missed.

You don't know the rules.

The third quarter was a snore, but that was a great game. The Saints fan in me wants to complain about the illegal helmet to helmet hit on Thomas which ended up being the difference in the game (turnover instead of TD), but given all of the other TOs in the game, it's tough to feel cheated or anything since the Saints shouldn't have won yet still had a chance in the end. The ridiculous thing was watching the clock, seeing Brees with 2:11 left and confident he'd pull out the game winner, but then of all people, Alex Smith does the same with less on the clock.

Looking forward, I think the 49ers can handle Green Bay. After all, what is Green Bay but the Saints without a run game? Still bummed that I won't get a Saints vs. Tebow Superbowl though, and I don't think any future games up will be as exciting as yesterday's.

Rules, you may want to learn them.

You don't know the rules.

I dont pretend to know the rulebook inside and out.. but from what I do know of the rules I could easily justify that play getting flagged.

This is the NFLs definition of a defenseless receiver.

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

Pierre CAUGHT the ball and in the process of turning towards the goal line took a step before getting leveled by a helmet to helmet hit he never saw coming and couldn't have avoided. In my biased opinion he was certainly a defenseless receiver.

I dont pretend to know the rulebook inside and out.. but from what I do know of the rules I could easily justify that play getting flagged.

This is the NFLs definition of a defenseless receiver.

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

Pierre CAUGHT the ball and in the process of turning towards the goal line took a step before getting leveled by a helmet to helmet hit he never saw coming and couldn't have avoided. In my biased opinion he was certainly a defenseless receiver.

He wasn't defenseless.

HTH

He wasn't defenseless.

HTH

Well I didnt agree with you at first but with such a strong argument I guess im gonna have to believe you. :rolleyes:

Im not saying there couldnt be a case for either side of the argument but from my admittedly biased eyes he was about as defenseless as it gets.

The moment he turns, the hit becomes legal. That's a "football move".

And for the record, it probably wouldn't have been a helmet to helmet hit had Thomas not lowered his helmet.

The NFL has already reviewed the hit and ruled it legal and clean.

When Thomas caught the pass from Drew Brees, he turned to run and therefore fell out of the category of a defenseless player and became a "runner." This in turn made the play completely legal.

Now the question that many Saints fans are asking today though - It may have been legal, but was it clean?

The Who Dat Nation is calling foul because they feel the hit was dirty by Whitner, but the thing is that it truly wasn't. Whitner could have been flagged also for lowering his helmet and launching/leading with it - had he done that. While he did lower his head, Whitner did not launch himself toward Thomas.

Let's not forget that Thomas also lowered his head when bracing to absorb the hit and hoping to plow through Whitner. In turn, both players did the exact same actions as the other. The force of the hit just hit Thomas harder knocking him out of the game.

http://www.examiner.com/new-orleans-saints-in-new-orleans/49ers-whitner-s-hit-on-saints-pierre-thomas-ruled-legal-and-clean-explanation

Check the video for the dunta Robinson/desean Jackson hits. Both were flagged and fined. In both hits a catch is made with multiple steps taken before the helmet to helmet shot is made. There is no difference in those hits and the one Pierre took.

NFL officials arent perfect. Sometimes they miss calls (sometimes even after review like the Rodgers non fumble) and I believe this was one of them. Maybe it changes the outcome of the game maybe it doesn't.. It's all irrelevant now.

Check the video for the dunta Robinson/desean Jackson hits. Both were flagged and fined. In both hits a catch is made with multiple steps taken before the helmet to helmet shot is made. There is no difference in those hits and the one Pierre took.

NFL officials arent perfect. Sometimes they miss calls (sometimes even after review like the Rodgers non fumble) and I believe this was one of them. Maybe it changes the outcome of the game maybe it doesn't.. It's all irrelevant now.

its helmet to helmet, but according to a 'tuck style rule' its not illegal.

Well I didnt agree with you at first but with such a strong argument I guess im gonna have to believe you. :rolleyes:

Im not saying there couldnt be a case for either side of the argument but from my admittedly biased eyes he was about as defenseless as it gets.

So he had time to catch the ball, turn, take several steps, then lower his head. Yet, somehow, you still say he was defenseless... Try watching the video.

How many moves or steps should be allowed before you think it would be suitable to attempt a tackle?

Text book tackle by Whitner in which he actually led with his shoulder.

You are hopelessly grasping at straws..

Oh yea, :rolleyes: for good measure...

So he had time to catch the ball, turn, take several steps, then lower his head. Yet, somehow, you still say he was defenseless... Try watching the video.

How many moves or steps should be allowed before you think it would be suitable to attempt a tackle?

Text book tackle by Whitner in which he actually led with his shoulder.

You are hopelessly grasping at straws..

Oh yea, :rolleyes: for good measure...

I've already laid out my argument for why, if I was the official, i would have thrown a flag. I've seen that penalty get called for far less than knocking a player clean out. Malicious or not a helmet connected with a helmet, whether he was defenseless or not is debatable and we happen to sit on opposite sides of the fence. No need to be a douche about it.