Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Super Bowl XLVI: New England Patriots v. New York Giants

They replaced another TE on the practice squad who was put on IR. This is not a TE signing to the active roster or adding another TE to the practice squad. It was a replacement.

They replaced another TE on the practice squad who was put on IR. This is not a TE signing to the active roster or adding another TE to the practice squad. It was a replacement.

Not yet

Gronk will play.

Most likely the practice squad signing is so that they will have enough bodies in practice until Gronk gets healthy (actually I don't expect Gronk to practice at all except for maybe the last couple of practices before the game).

OK, so I'm a patriots fan, but I think the Giants will win this game.

The Giants defense is clearly better than the Patriots defense.

Offensively, the Patriots are arguably better, but not by a lot. Yes they have Tom Brady and those awesome tight ends (one of whom may be injured). But the Giants have an awesome receiving corps and Eli Manning is playing as well or better than Brady right now.

Looking at the matchups, I am afraid of two key areas : the giants front four against the patriots offensive line and the giants wide receivers against the patriots porous secondary.

If the Giants can get consistent pressure with their front four, it is gonna be a tough day for Brady. The. patriots o line is good but it is not great. How will it hold up against an elite giants unit?

Now some of this could be mitigated by a strong rushing game. If the Pats can run the ball then the defensive line can't rush with wild abandon. And if the d line does get too aggressive, the Pats can probably gauge them with draws and the like.

Problem is, the Pats are likely going to have to pass, pass, pass to keep up with the Giants offense. Which brings me to the second problem area: there is no way the Pats secondary contains Nicks, Cruz and Manningham. If the giants only had one or two good options you could try to neurtralize them through scheme. But three big receiving threats? No way.

The only way the Pats secondary survives is if Eli Manning is consistently pressured. I really wish the Pats had Andre Carter back for this game. As it is the Pats have had some success rushing the passer, but I don't think the pass rush is nearly enough to make up for the severe mismatch in the secondary in this game.

In sum, the only way I see the Pats winning is if they somehow harass Manning in to having a terrible game or if the Giants commit several fluky turnovers (ie fumbles). Otherwise I just see the Giants passing game carving up the Pats defense to the extent that Tom Brady and the offense just can't keep up.

Thoughts? Is my analysis off or missing something? I'd really love for someone to convince me that I'm wrong.

Offensively, the Patriots are arguably better, but not by a lot. Yes they have Tom Brady and those awesome tight ends (one of whom may be injured). But the Giants have an awesome receiving corps and Eli Manning is playing as well or better than Brady right now.

Looking at the matchups, I am afraid of two key areas : the giants front four against the patriots offensive line and the giants wide receivers against the patriots porous secondary.

If the Giants can get consistent pressure with their front four, it is gonna be a tough day for Brady. The. patriots o line is good but it is not great. How will it hold up against an elite giants unit?

Now some of this could be mitigated by a strong rushing game. If the Pats can run the ball then the defensive line can't rush with wild abandon. And if the d line does get too aggressive, the Pats can probably gauge them with draws and the like.

Problem is, the Pats are likely going to have to pass, pass, pass to keep up with the Giants offense. Which brings me to the second problem area: there is no way the Pats secondary contains Nicks, Cruz and Manningham. If the giants only had one or two good options you could try to neurtralize them through scheme. But three big receiving threats? No way.

The only way the Pats secondary survives is if Eli Manning is consistently pressured. I really wish the Pats had Andre Carter back for this game. As it is the Pats have had some success rushing the passer, but I don't think the pass rush is nearly enough to make up for the severe mismatch in the secondary in this game.

In sum, the only way I see the Pats winning is if they somehow harass Manning in to having a terrible game or if the Giants commit several fluky turnovers (ie fumbles). Otherwise I just see the Giants passing game carving up the Pats defense to the extent that Tom Brady and the offense just can't keep up.

Thoughts? Is my analysis off or missing something? I'd really love for someone to convince me that I'm wrong.

SPOT ON :thumbsup:

SPOT ON :thumbsup:

+1

I think you nailed it.

I heard an interesting thing the other day. Name where the Patriots are better than the Giants. This is what I have:

QB - Sorry, I don't care what anyone says. Brady is better. Easily. Eli threw up two awful up for grab passes last week that the defenders took themselves out trying to get the ball. You know a pass is bad when two defenders have a chance at picking it off. If those picks are made, we are not talking about how great he is playing. Plus what would you rather have your QB throwing to? The Giants WR's or the Patriots TE's? How much I love the tight ends, give me two stud WR's and a solid 3rd over the Tight Ends any day of the week. They give you more options.

TE - The Patriots clearly have better tight ends.

Kicker - mmmm......OK

After that, what do the Patriots have that is better? Maybe Special Teams. The Giants have a better running game (IMO), WAAAAAYYYYY better WR's, better DB's, better LB's, better DL. The Pats may have a better OL, but it was not good the last two times they played.

With that said, I still think the Pats will win. I think Brady will play great and be better prepared than the last Super Bowl. I think the OL will protect better. If Brady has protection, the Giants coverage is not all that good. I think Eli will make a couple of boneheaded plays that cost them the game (There is a reason why everyone was laughing when Eli said he was an Elite QB 5 months ago).

Brady will be prepared and he will not be laughing about only scoring 14 points this time. Plus he will not be sitting back there waiting for Moss to get open.

But in the end, it can go either way and I do not see either team dominating.

I sure hope the Pats win. :cheers:

I heard an interesting thing the other day. Name where the Patriots are better than the Giants. This is what I have:

QB - Sorry, I don't care what anyone says. Brady is better. Easily. Eli threw up two awful up for grab passes last week that the defenders took themselves out trying to get the ball. You know a pass is bad when two defenders have a chance at picking it off. If those picks are made, we are not talking about how great he is playing. Plus what would you rather have your QB throwing to? The Giants WR's or the Patriots TE's? How much I love the tight ends, give me two stud WR's and a solid 3rd over the Tight Ends any day of the week. They give you more options.

TE - The Patriots clearly have better tight ends.

Kicker - mmmm......OK

After that, what do the Patriots have that is better? Maybe Special Teams. The Giants have a better running game (IMO), WAAAAAYYYYY better WR's, better DB's, better LB's, better DL. The Pats may have a better OL, but it was not good the last two times they played.

With that said, I still think the Pats will win. I think Brady will play great and be better prepared than the last Super Bowl. I think the OL will protect better. If Brady has protection, the Giants coverage is not all that good. I think Eli will make a couple of boneheaded plays that cost them the game (There is a reason why everyone was laughing when Eli said he was an Elite QB 5 months ago).

Brady will be prepared and he will not be laughing about only scoring 14 points this time. Plus he will not be sitting back there waiting for Moss to get open.

But in the end, it can go either way and I do not see either team dominating.

I sure hope the Pats win. :cheers:

The running game is debatable. Sure the Giants have much bigger names at RB and are likely more talented. But when you look at the stats the Patriots' running game is better. BJGE might not be a gamebreaker but be rarely gets dropped for negative yardage and he never fumbles. So I'd call RB a wash.

But otherwise I think you are right, so it's interesting that you are predicting a Pats win even while admitting that the Giants are better at most positions. It's going to take a Herculean effort from Brady to overcome all those matchup deficiencies.

The running game is debatable. Sure the Giants have much bigger names at RB and are likely more talented. But when you look at the stats the Patriots' running game is better. BJGE might not be a gamebreaker but be rarely gets dropped for negative yardage and he never fumbles. So I'd call RB a wash.

But otherwise I think you are right, so it's interesting that you are predicting a Pats win even while admitting that the Giants are better at most positions. It's going to take a Herculean effort from Brady to overcome all those matchup deficiencies.

I say the Giants running game is better simply because I think they have the best RB - Bradshaw. I like the Pats running backs, but I think Bradshaw would be insane on the Pats offense. Jacobs blows though. It is definitely debatable, but I would take Bradshaw over everyone.

You should know by know watching a lot of football, just because it seems obvious on paper does not mean that will be the actual outcome (why did the Rams beat the Saints). Also, recent success does not predict future results.

The key for the Pats to win - Protect Brady and make Eli make a few dumb mistakes that are costly. If you do those, there is no reason why they can't win. :cheers:

Nah, thats a good summation of it. I said about 4 pages ago that if NE can run for about 130 yards total then it could their key to victory. And, as you pointed out it is the GIANTS offense that is to be feared in this game. The Giants on 3rd down and 11 for whatever reason is like an automatic conversion.....crazy.

IMO Giants are favored here. Giants pressure the QB up the gut very well which is what Brady hates most and makes Brady average. U can pas on NE at will if you have a good QB and decent WR's. I am rooting for NE but unlesss they get some breaks I think YG wins again

All this analysis is really pretty worthless.

Worms did do a nice job if summarizing everything that we already know and expect - so I'm not intending to bash him or others for their posts.

But it's all junk. Just look at the NE BAL game - did anyone really think BAL would fail to pressure/sack Brady and Flacco would out-pass them?

To me, the NYG are the hot, upstart team & NE the cagey veteran.

My hope is that the NYG defense is a one-trick pass rush - neutralize that rush and they're off their game.

It's very possible that the NYG D is overrated and the NE D underrated right now.

So - to keep in line with my theme of "we really have no idea" I'll pick the least talked about and least likely scenario - NE D steps up big and outplays the NYG D.

All this analysis is really pretty worthless...the NYG defense is a one-trick pass rush - neutralize that rush and they're off their game...the NYG D is overrated and the NE D underrated right now...NE D steps up big and outplays the NYG D.

Shortened it up a bit for you.

All this analysis is really pretty worthless.

Worms did do a nice job if summarizing everything that we already know and expect - so I'm not intending to bash him or others for their posts.

But it's all junk. Just look at the NE BAL game - did anyone really think BAL would fail to pressure/sack Brady and Flacco would out-pass them?

To me, the NYG are the hot, upstart team & NE the cagey veteran.

My hope is that the NYG defense is a one-trick pass rush - neutralize that rush and they're off their game.

It's very possible that the NYG D is overrated and the NE D underrated right now.

So - to keep in line with my theme of "we really have no idea" I'll pick the least talked about and least likely scenario - NE D steps up big and outplays the NYG D.

But it's not a one trick pony. We aren't expecting a guy like Ted Ginn to make really big returns. We're not expecting (didn't have against SF) a fearsome pass rush that totally disrupts the passer and a bunch of rookie DBs out there ... okay ... just one, but that one rookie is a stud. That defense, and special teams, as a unit, and not just as a pass rush defense, has really come together.

And Eli ... those WRs .... they are pretty clutch.

You had me up until this point. How is New England's defense underrated? Their secondary is atrocious. And now they are going up against the team with the best trio of wide receivers in the league.

You had me up until this point. How is New England's defense underrated? Their secondary is atrocious. And now they are going up against the team with the best trio of wide receivers in the league.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but in all fairness they are playing better as of late. They are far from a shutdown defense, but the return of Chung and Spikes has helped.

Not sure why the comment about NE D being underrated seems so outrageous - you said it yoursel Worms, they're atrocious.

That's exactly what I'm talking about - NE D isn't as bad as we all think and the media plays up - and maybe the NYG D isn't as good.

Giant fan living a stone's throw from Foxboro here...the Pats defense has vastly improved (all over) sine Chung came back, IMO. Hopefully, I'm wrong though. :wave:

I thinking that the team that wins the turnover battle is going to win the game. I think that, if the Pats don't turn the ball over 4 times (like they did in the earlier matchup), that they have a good chance of winning. :dunno:

Tom Brady better than Eli Manning right now?

Tell me folks. When was the LAST time Tom Brady won a meaningful playoff game on the road? I can name quite a few over the past few years that he lost.

As of right now, Eli Manning has become one of the greatest road playoff winning QB in the history of the game.

Tell me folks. When was the LAST time Tom Brady won a meaningful playoff game on the road? I can name quite a few over the past few years that he lost.

As of right now, Eli Manning has become one of the greatest road playoff winning QB in the history of the game.

Jan. 14, 2007, at San Diego, AFC divisional playoff, New England 24, San Diego 21

Giant fan living a stone's throw from Foxboro here...the Pats defense has vastly improved (all over) sine Chung came back, IMO. Hopefully, I'm wrong though. :wave:

The run defense has been much better with Chung and Spikes.

The pass defense is still a complete liability.

The run defense has been much better with Chung and Spikes.

The pass defense is still a complete liability.

Yeah...I forgot they played Teblow and Shane :banana:

Welp when your team wins 12-14 games a year and consistently gets number 1 seeds you don't have to worry about playing road playoff games.

Sheli Manning and the rest of the Ginas will find out next week just how great of a road playoff qb Brady is. Sucks to be a Ginas fan next Monday..

Im not picking on you IGW, it just makes me shake my head whenever i hear someone say this....

The Giants gave up more points than the Patriots.

The Giants gave up more yards rushing per game than the Patriots.

The Giants and the Patriots gave up essentially the same YPC (0.1 yard separating them)

The Giants gave up more rushing touchdowns than the Patriots

The Patriots had more interceptions than the Giants.

The Patriots and Giants both had 11 fumbles recovered.

The Giants gave up more passing TDs than the Patriots.

The Giants and the Patriots gave up the exact same opposing QB rating. (86.1)

The Patriots gave up 0.7 yards per completion more than the Giants

The Patriots opposing QB completion % was 1.1% higher

and

The Vaunted Giants pass rush? 8 sacks more than the Patriots. Eight. Thats half a sack a game, if my SC Public Skool Rithmitek Lessons are right.

But for some reason, the media has latched onto this:

The Patriots gave up precisely 38.8 yards passing per game more than the Giants

And so the Patriots defense is "clearly worse"? Heck, i'll give you worse. But "clearly" worse? I dont know. AND even if the Patriots *IS* clearly worse, it isnt clearly worse by much. Just because the Giants defense is better than the Patriots, doesnt mean they are good.

It isn't all about statistics southcarolina.

First of all, the Giants generally played against better competition this year, wouldn't you agree? At least in terms of the offenses/quarterbacks they faced.

If you want statistical support for this, take a look at the Patriots and Giants defense's respective DVOAs at Football Outsiders. Giants score much better than the Patriots.

Second, the Giants' defense passes the eyeball test and the Patriots defense definitely does not. It has been better of late but there is still a clear difference between the two watching them play. I am not shocked when the Giants come up with a defensive stop. I am focking elated when the Patriots' defense manages to get off the field.

It isn't all about statistics southcarolina.

First of all, the Giants generally played against better competition this year, wouldn't you agree? At least in terms of the offenses/quarterbacks they faced.

If you want statistical support for this, take a look at the Patriots and Giants defense's respective DVOAs at Football Outsiders. Giants score much better than the Patriots.

Second, the Giants' defense passes the eyeball test and the Patriots defense definitely does not. It has been better of late but there is still a clear difference between the two watching them play. I am not shocked when the Giants come up with a defensive stop. I am focking elated when the Patriots' defense manages to get off the field.

I would say that the Giants did play a better cast of characters. But both teams had some good opponents and some real stinkers. I dont think even games against elite QBs change the overall numbers that much ( proof: If you factor out the Brees and Rodgers games vs the Giants, it moves them from 29th in the league to 23rd in passing yards allowed) Its not like 2 big games skewed the numbers THAT much.

I dont actually disagree with you that the Patriots defense seems heart wrenchingly bad at getting off the field. But are they that much worse than the Giants? I have this thing about perception vs reality. It just fascinates me how some people (myself included) perceive things that arent supported by fact. I freely admit i could be dead wrong about this. But i see things that dont reconcile in my brain and i have to ask the question. . The Giants had 39 three and out defensive series this year. The Patriots had 36. The Patriots had 34 take aways. The Giants had 31. The Patriots gave up 39 offensive touchdowns, the Giants gave up 43 offensive touchdowns. The Patriots gave up 20 FGs. The Giants gave up 25. More turnovers, less scoring drives. That to me sounds like they got off the field just fine, when compared to NY. Sure they give up alot of yards, but teams dont lose because of yards given up. Im not trying to argue that the Patriots defense is good, just that they arent as bad as some people say. And not so much worse than the Giants that its obviously in favor of the Giants.

Even your DVOA stats only rank the Giants as the #20 team in the league. The Patriots scored the third most points in the league. But all we hear about is how the Patriots defense cant stop Eli and Company. The Patriots held Eli to 250 yards in their first meeting this year. Tom Brady had almost 350. Certainly the Giants are playing better than they did in that game. But so is New England.

The difference in that game was turnovers, as will probably be the case next Sunday. I dont think either teams defense will do a whole lot of stopping of the offenses. I predict 38-34 Patriots.

Im certainly not trying to say that the Giants arent capable of winning. I just dont think its a foregone conclusion.

But southcarolina they beat the Falcons, Packers and 49ers!! They must be the better team!!

That's all I keep hearing from these overconfident Ginas fans.

Despite only having one receiving weapon on the entire team, NY allowed two long TDs and 150 yards rushing to SF. Yes, some of those rushing yards were to Alex Smith, but tasked with stopping only two things, Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, they could do neither. It wasn't until SF panicked at the end and started going pass heavy that NY finally took over the game defensively.

NY's unstoppable offense was held to 7 points in the first half against a middling Atlanta D, 13 legitimate points against a terrible GB unit, and 10 total points against a great SF unit. I'm not optimistic about their Wrs against NE's secondary either, but their overall advantages have been vastly overstated.

OK here is my point....

I was bringing my kids to school just now,. and in the 20 minutes i was driving, Cris Carter called the Patriots defense the "second worst defense in the history of the NFL" at least twice. If you factor out safties given up, and return tds given up, the Patriots were 11th in the NFL in points scored against their defense.

http://www.teamranki...points-per-game

To his credit the Fat MIke did offer the counterpoint that the Patriots were a "middle of the road" scoring defense. To which CC replied: "Dude...have you SEEN who they got playing on that defense?"

But to the casual fan, who get all their hard hitting info straight from the mouths of Mike and Mike, all they are going to hear is that the Patriots defense is historically bad. I just dont think the stats bear out the message that their defense is historically bad.

Again im not trying to argue that the Patriots are great on defense, or even good for that matter. I admit that some of it was the Patriots schedule. But how can a defense that gave up fewer points than 19 other teams this season be the second worst defense in the history of the NFL? How can a team who was 4th in takeaways be the second worst defense in the history of the NFL?

There is no doubt that NY winning at Green Bay and at San Francisco are more impressive wins than NE winning at home vs Denver and Baltimore. The Giants are hot. And its entirely likely that they will beat the Patriots. I just wish the media would quit acting like the Patriots defense is so bad that the Giants are going to carve them up and theres nothing they can do about it.

But southcarolina they beat the Falcons, Packers and 49ers!! They must be the better team!!

That's all I keep hearing from these overconfident Ginas fans.

Despite only having one receiving weapon on the entire team, NY allowed two long TDs and 150 yards rushing to SF. Yes, some of those rushing yards were to Alex Smith, but tasked with stopping only two things, Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, they could do neither. It wasn't until SF panicked at the end and started going pass heavy that NY finally took over the game defensively.

NY's unstoppable offense was held to 7 points in the first half against a middling Atlanta D, 13 legitimate points against a terrible GB unit, and 10 total points against a great SF unit. I'm not optimistic about their Wrs against NE's secondary either, but their overall advantages have been vastly overstated.

Dear little boy,

The 49ers averaged almost 29 pts per game at home this season and never scored below 20 pts ...The Giants held them to 17 pts.

Giants have outscored their opponents by 14 pts per game throughout the playoffs averaging 27 pts per game and allowing 13.

Now run along to school before you get detention.

p.s. pay attention in math class.

Im not picking on you IGW, it just makes me shake my head whenever i hear someone say this....

The Giants gave up more points than the Patriots.

The Giants gave up more yards rushing per game than the Patriots.

The Giants and the Patriots gave up essentially the same YPC (0.1 yard separating them)

The Giants gave up more rushing touchdowns than the Patriots

The Patriots had more interceptions than the Giants.

The Patriots and Giants both had 11 fumbles recovered.

The Giants gave up more passing TDs than the Patriots.

The Giants and the Patriots gave up the exact same opposing QB rating. (86.1)

The Patriots gave up 0.7 yards per completion more than the Giants

The Patriots opposing QB completion % was 1.1% higher

and

The Vaunted Giants pass rush? 8 sacks more than the Patriots. Eight. Thats half a sack a game, if my SC Public Skool Rithmitek Lessons are right.

But for some reason, the media has latched onto this:

The Patriots gave up precisely 38.8 yards passing per game more than the Giants

And so the Patriots defense is "clearly worse"? Heck, i'll give you worse. But "clearly" worse? I dont know. AND even if the Patriots *IS* clearly worse, it isnt clearly worse by much. Just because the Giants defense is better than the Patriots, doesnt mean they are good.

:pointstosky:

Great post.

QB - Sorry, I don't care what anyone says. Brady is better. Easily. Eli threw up two awful up for grab passes last week that the defenders took themselves out trying to get the ball. You know a pass is bad when two defenders have a chance at picking it off. If those picks are made, we are not talking about how great he is playing.

:thumbsup:

Reminiscent of the final drive of SB42, where Eli supposedly showed how clutch he is. Everyone remembers the helmet catch and the Plax TD, but only Pats fans remember he had two different throws on that drive that went right off defenders' hands.

Eli has a shamrock up his ass.

Dear little boy,

The 49ers averaged almost 29 pts per game at home this season and never scored below 20 pts ...The Giants held them to 17 pts.

Giants have outscored their opponents by 14 pts per game throughout the playoffs averaging 27 pts per game and allowing 13.

Now run along to school before you get detention.

p.s. pay attention in math class.

Yeah because Alex Smith and the 49ers were such an offensive juggernaut..lol

You REALLY think they can hold Brady to 17 pts??

Welp when your team wins 12-14 games a year and consistently gets number 1 seeds you don't have to worry about playing road playoff games.

Can you please remind me what the Patricias record against winning teams was this season? Who did they beat to come up with their 12-14 wins this year? Without their cake schedule they are sitting at home watching the real teams play.

The only thing the Patridiots will enjoy this week are the nice parting gifts Ochostinko and Sissy Boy Tom got for them: headphones and Uggs (women's boots...and he's a "spokesman" LOL). At least their toes will be cozy in Indy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/chad-ochocinco-celebrates-first-super-bowl-extravagant-gift-193820706.html

Yeah because Alex Smith and the 49ers were such an offensive juggernaut..lol You REALLY think they can hold Brady to 17 pts??

The 49ers were the best defense in the playoffs - it wasn't their offense that brought them to the dance. Do you REALLY think the Patsies defense will hold the Giants down in a similar fashion?

Can you please remind me what the Patricias record against winning teams was this season? Who did they beat to come up with their 12-14 wins this year? Without their cake schedule they are sitting at home watching the real teams play.

The only thing the Patridiots will enjoy this week are the nice parting gifts Ochostinko and Sissy Boy Tom got for them: headphones and Uggs (women's boots...and he's a "spokesman" LOL). At least their toes will be cozy in Indy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/chad-ochocinco-celebrates-first-super-bowl-extravagant-gift-193820706.html

Well, they have 15 wins this season. Granted, only 1 was against a team with a +.500 record, but they had a bunch against teams that were 8-8. You play the schedule that you are given. It sure seems like there is an awful lot of trash talk from fans of a team that was 9-7 in the regular season. :dunno:

Yeah because Alex Smith and the 49ers were such an offensive juggernaut..lol

You REALLY think they can hold Brady to 17 pts??

I think that we heard this from Brady back in 2007. Not sure that I would go back to the well on that one again as it did not work out so well.

Can you please remind me what the Patricias record against winning teams was this season?

9-2 vs teams with a .500 record or better (including the playoffs)

Statistics: Its all how you frame them.