Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

Best Ribs Recipes

Any suggestions for the best way to do ribs? Obviously there is the ol slab them with BBQ and throw them on the grill. But what is your favorite?

I'm a Baby Ray's guy. I generally suck at doing ribs. Any suggestions for those ribs where you are just like :shocking:

Full rack of ribs

Spicy rub:

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon celery salt

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

BBQ Sauce:

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon butter

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup molasses

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon mustard

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

salt

In a bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, celery salt, dry mustard, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Generously sprinkle rub mixture over both sides of ribs; rub in with your fingers. Cover pan with foil.

Bake ribs in a 350 degree oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until very tender.

For BBQ sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot butter over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in ketchup, molasses, vinegar, water, brown sugar, chili powder, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until desired consistency.

Grill, covered, for 10 minutes or until ribs are browned, turning once and brushing with sauce.

If you don't want to grill, I just put BBQ sauce on them and leave them in the oven for another 20 minutes or so until the sauce gets browned.

Your traditionalists are not gonna like this, but baking them in the oven on low heat for a couple of hours prior to tossing them on the grill is a no lose situation every time. Just toss the slabs in a large pan, fill the pan half way water and let it roll. I also found a great cinnamon/chipotle rub that I cover them in first. They're so tender, it's hard to get them onto the grill without the bones falling out. They're only the grill long enough for whatever sauce you use to caramelize.

Edit: cover pan with foil while baking.

Ribs are made to go on a smoker. I don't do ribs too often, but rub em down, put them on the smoker for about 4-5 hours, sauce em up and throw them on a grill for a few minutes.

I do briskets much more often than ribs. Got one going on the smoker early in the AM. :thumbsup:

Ribs are made to go on a smoker. I don't do ribs too often, but rub em down, put them on the smoker for about 4-5 hours, sauce em up and throw them on a grill for a few minutes.

I do briskets much more often than ribs. Got one going on the smoker early in the AM. :thumbsup:

A lot of us Yankees don't have smokers. ;)

Your traditionalists are not gonna like this, but baking them in the oven on low heat for a couple of hours prior to tossing them on the grill is a no lose situation every time. Just toss the slabs in a large pan, fill the pan half way water and let it roll. I also found a great cinnamon/chipotle rub that I cover them in first. They're so tender, it's hard to get them onto the grill without the bones falling out. They're only the grill long enough for whatever sauce you use to caramelize.

Yea. I agree. I usually just do them in the oven and they fall off the bones. After I put the sauce on I usually cook them for a bit and then put them on broil for a few minutes to crisp up the outside.

In the summer though... it's hard not to put them on the grill for a bit. I usually cook them less when I do that so they are not falling apart when they go on the grill. :thumbsup:

A lot of us Yankees don't have smokers. ;)

I realize that. Nothing wrong with putting them in the oven if you have to.

I actually put my brisket in the oven after about 8 hours on the smoker. Covered, with a little water in the pan at 225 and it can go all day. Makes it moist and it falls apart.

Here is a quick brisket recipe for you "non-smoker" Yankee types. It's pretty damn good.

Trimmed brisket

I can of Coke

I bottle of Heinz 57

1 package of dry onion soup mix.

Mix all three above, pour over brisket in a crock pot/slow cooker. Put it on low to medium heat before you leave for work in the AM, ready when you get home.

i have 3 methods for you:

A (borrowed and adjusted from a friend)-

1. Remove membrane on the back.

2. Rub some type of dry rub on ribs.

3. Take a pan at least 2" tall and fill with either some type of berry juice (used to use apple juice then one day sub'd one of my my daughter's juice boxes...worked out great). Place this on the grill rack closest to the heat source. Then put your ribs on the grill rack the farthest possible distance away from the heat source.

4. Get some wood chips/chunks. Soak them in water for several hours before you grill. Then take some heavy duty aluminum foil and break off a piece approximately 18" long. Put some wood chips in the middle and fold the foil up. Poke some holes at each end, then lay the foil DIRECTLY on your heat source. This will create the "smoke" you need to add to the flavor of the ribs. I HIGHLY recommend apple wood for this, though you can also use hickory or oak.

5. Sometimes we will do the 2/1/1 method of cooking babybacks. This means 2 hours on the grill/smoker, then wrap in foil for 1 hour, then unwrapped for the last hour. That one hour in the foil really keeps the moisture in. Then that last hour you add your BBQ sauce. I would NOT add sauce any sooner than that: most times the sugar in the sauce will burn on the ribs, which creates that charred crust on the outside of the ribs.

6. Montreal has a few good bbq rubs. You may want to grab some BBQ cookbooks from the bookstore and make your own rubs/sauces. You can really get some different and distinct flavors, plus it is a heck of a lot more fun to experiment with different spices and will help you understand what each flavor can do. Also, DO NOT apply your rub until about 20 minutes before grill time. The spices in rub tend to try out the meat if you try to marinate overnight with it, and you honestly do not really gain any penetration into the meat overnight. By rubbing it shortly before, the spices are more vibrant on the meat, IMO.

B-

take off membrane

pat on some type of rub

bake for about 3 hours at temp of 215

finish with sauce to glaze at temp of 425 for 10-15 min

C-

when i don't have time for longer term grilling (also used to live in the mountains and often could not access the grill due to snow).....

i will create a flavorful water mixture and boil them for 45min - 1hr (naturally cooks off a lot of fat). i'll then pat them down with some type of rub. into a low heat oven for about an hour or so (basting with sauce the last 30 min. and then i'll just finish them on the grill to get more of a glaze and grill flavor.

Yep, another vote for this. I wrap mine tight in foil (sealed really) and throw them at 300 for 2.5 hours or so, then slap on more sauce and either finish them on the BBQ (hard to do as the meat will fall off the bones) or under the broiler.

I usually cut the racks in halves or thirds & boil them in beer (no water) for about 20 minutes. I use Fat Tire (usually) - don't use lite beer, too watery.

While they are boiling I start the charcoal. I use the stuff that's infused with either hickory or mesquite. If you have a gas grill, you can add a little bit of wood chips soaked in water.

(soaked chips give the meat a smoker taste while dry chips give it a sweeter taste)

I slap the ribs on the grill & add a tad sprinkle of season salt (Lowery's) or if you can find it; McCormick Grill Mates seasoning "Smokehouse Maple" (preferred).

Flip the ribs with tongs, NEVER poke with forks as this let's the juices bleed out causing them to be dry.

Add your bbq sauce the final 5-10 minutes. I usually use Sweet Baby Rays myself.

Had a Ribs contest in the neighborhood last June and I was voted #1 out of 9 that entered. Doesn't mean much but I have bragging rights until this June when the HOA hosts it again. Pissed off my next door neighbor that has about 3 different smokers, plus a fire pit & charcoal/gas grill combo (he thinks he's the John Wayne of bbq). LOL.

Yes, I live in the South...in the country (NC). Carolina is known for bbq. Kinda funny a damn Yank took the prize on ribs that took maybe an hour, while some of these ol boys were slaving away around their smokers & pits for hours. LOL

Just did some yesterday. Had time but didn't want to have to mess with them (ie using a mop), so used this simple approach.

Cut membrane off. Rinse and dry ribs. Rub with some black pepper and garlic powder, let sit to room temp.

Have a large propane grill I use as a smoker. One burner at medium heat gives me a consistent 235 degrees.

Tinder box filled with soaked hickory chips; aluminum foil system described above works great as well. Put that directly over your flame.

Just before going on the smoker I coat ribs with mustard (Whatever cheap brown variety I have on hand). Set them on a rack over an aluminum roasting pan, on side of grill farthest from direct heat. Fill pan with one cup mix of apple juice and water).

Forget them for 4 hours. Temp at thickest spot should be 155-165. Then coat ribs with sauce (Baby Ray's), wrap in heavy foil. Back on rack for 45-60 minutes.

Came out great. I prefer St Louis Style, especially for a day when I don't want to spend time trimming.

I have smoked them with a weber grill and the wood chips but its a choir and a long process. My brother is awesome at smoking them but he's got a great smoker and he's really anal about cooking. Unfortunately we live 3000 miles apart now. :wall:

I have smoked them with a weber grill and the wood chips but its a choir and a long process. My brother is awesome at smoking them but he's got a great smoker and he's really anal about cooking. Unfortunately we live 3000 miles apart now. :wall:

I have a brother who is really into it too. He uses an old whiskey barrel for smoke. His latest gadget is a remote thermometer. You can put it in your pocket and it tells you the temp inside the smoker, and the internal temp of the meat.

Smokes up some mean ribs and brisket. :thumbsup:

:shocking:

Why do you need a choir to cook ribs? Please dont tell me a medical student does not how to spell chore. :shocking:

The only thing better than grammar police is grammar police lurkers. 30 posts since 2008? And the spelling of chore brings you back?

:D

As for the op, I'm guessing you really have no clue on slow cooking. Lots of good tips here, from shovels water in the pan idea to aluminum foil. Rays is a fine sauce by most folks.

The only thing better than grammar police is grammar police lurkers. 30 posts since 2008? And the spelling of chore brings you back?

:D

As for the op, I'm guessing you really have no clue on slow cooking. Lots of good tips here, from shovels water in the pan idea to aluminum foil. Rays is a fine sauce by most folks.

choir/chore needed a response. I could see if it was one of you backwoods inbreds. But this guy is gonna be a doctor. :cheers:

Didn't read through all the posts to see if this was mentioned, but be sure to remove the membrane on the bone side of the ribs!

Easiest and best tasting ribs!

Very simple:

Very lightly coat the meat side with yellow mustard(just do it) and sprinkle on both garlic salt and Lawrey's season salt.

Cook on high in crock pot for 4-6 hours

Take out of crock and put in glass casserole dish. Coat meat side with Sweet Baby Rays

Bake just long enough for sauce to cook into the ribs.

That's it. So EZ and so damn GOOD!

I've tried many different ways to cook ribs. At least a dozen. This is by far the best way to do em.

****Both baby back and spare work with this method. :cheers:

Most of the posts in this thread make me sad :(

I know you have a great technique and I'm sure a great tasting rib. Not everyone, however, has the equipment to make a truly elite, contest style rib. For those that don't, follow my post it will provide a great tasting easy to make product. :cheers:

I know you have a great technique and I'm sure a great tasting rib. Not everyone, however, has the equipment to make a truly elite, contest style rib. For those that don't, follow my post it will provide a great tasting easy to make product. :cheers:

If you have a grill, gas or charcoal, then with the right prep and patience you can make truely awsome ribs.

I have a Treager smoker - and it is the schnitz! I cook a lot on it, depending on my mood I'll use a variety of different rubs and sauces. I tend to make lot of apple or apricot based sauces - but that's just a personal preference. I'm also one of the few I know that actually enjoys beef ribs too - made some this weekend along with a few briskets.

If you've ever used a Treager smoker, it will spoil you. Treager smoker :thumbsup:

I also found a great cinnamon/chipotle rub

What the hell is the matter with you people in Cincinnati putting cinnamon on everything. Cinnamon and nutmeg belong in apple pie not BBQ or chili.

What hell is up matter with you people in Cincinnati putting cinnamon on everything. Cinnamon and nutmeg belong in apple pie not BBQ or chili.

Great post, bert. Skyline chili is the most overrated crap i have ever tasted. Two-way, four-way....its all the same way....CRAP!

Client of mine that has a professional smoker catered a party for me 5 years ago and taught me his secret. McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Looked too simple to be true,cover ribs in this seasoning,wrap tight in foil and slow smoke for 10 hours or so.Being from the KC area we had a lot of "bbq fans" here and every single one of them were very impressed.

Client of mine that has a professional smoker catered a party for me 5 years ago and taught me his secret. McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Looked too simple to be true,cover ribs in this seasoning,wrap tight in foil and slow smoke for 10 hours or so.Being from the KC area we had a lot of "bbq fans" here and every single one of them were very impressed.

Honest question...why wrap it tightly in tinfoil if smoking it. Wouldn't you want the smoke to get to the ribs? :dunno:

If you have a grill, gas or charcoal, then with the right prep and patience you can make truely awsome ribs.

AND if you like to eat smoke. Right? What about a great tasting rib that doesn't involve the smokey taste? :dunno:

Honest question...why wrap it tightly in tinfoil if smoking it. Wouldn't you want the smoke to get to the ribs? :dunno:

We put 15 slabs in around midnight,wrapped side down and I met him back around 8 a.m.,we then flipped the slabs and opened the foil slightly and left in for about 2 hours.The flavor was focking outstanding and the meat fell off the bones.

Sorry,should've clarified that.

AND if you like to eat smoke. Right? What about a great tasting rib that doesn't involve the smokey taste? :dunno:

Slow cooking them in the oven can achieve this, a few hours at a temp around 225-250. Just make sure you don't add any liquid smoke.

We put 15 slabs in around midnight,wrapped side down and I met him back around 8 a.m.,we then flipped the slabs and opened the foil slightly and left in for about 2 hours.The flavor was focking outstanding and the meat fell off the bones.

Sorry,should've clarified that.

Even at 200 degrees if you cooked ribs for ten hours then you had mush, fact is cooking in foil braises your meat, in essance cooking your meat even faster than unfoiled. After 8 hours of foiling the ribs would be beyond mush, no way the meat could even stay on the bone for an additional 2 hours unfoiled.

Smoke falvor is only imparted into your meat in the first 3 hours of cooking/smoking. many foil after this, they also add sugars/liquids to the foil to impart flavor by braising the meat, then they will remove the meat and allow to cook unfoiled for a short time. Google 3-2-1 rib method

Last I checked gas does not give your food a smokey taste, hell you can cook with charcoal and have a minimal smoke falvor, you just have to let the coals burn hot.

Last I checked gas does not give your food a smokey taste, hell you can cook with charcoal and have a minimal smoke falvor, you just have to let the coals burn hot.

You missed my point, I'll move on.

Even at 200 degrees if you cooked ribs for ten hours then you had mush, fact is cooking in foil braises your meat, in essance cooking your meat even faster than unfoiled. After 8 hours of foiling the ribs would be beyond mush, no way the meat could even stay on the bone for an additional 2 hours unfoiled.

:dunno:

I saw it with my own eyes and just for the record the last 2 hours the foil was slightly opened.

:dunno:

I saw it with my own eyes and just for the record the last 2 hours the foil was slightly opened.

You had to have missed something, maybe his pit was not up to temp when he put them on or maybe he was cooking at 150 (although I can not imagine anyone doing this) but I assure you if you cook spars for 10 hours, which is 4 hours longer than any method I have seen, they would be mush, almost like babyfood.

You had to have missed something, maybe his pit was not up to temp when he put them on or maybe he was cooking at 150 (although I can not imagine anyone doing this) but I assure you if you cook spars for 10 hours, which is 4 hours longer than any method I have seen, they would be mush, almost like babyfood.

I probably did then,I host a 2 day football party every year and always have the smoked meats catered and/or smoked on site.By the time he showed up Friday around 11 p.m. I was already hitting the tequila pretty good.

I do stand by the McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning though,that stuff made the rib flavor outstanding.