Sign in to follow this  
remote controller

Considering getting rid of kickoffs?

:thumbsdown:

Please stop trying to fix the most perfect sport on the planet. It's not broken.

It ain't the most excited play in football but that music city miracle was something else

It's gonna happen under Goodel watch.

They moved the college kickoff 5 yds but those kids can't kick ball to 10 yard line so it won't make difference. Being so close to Rutgers and watching the Legrand kid get hurt makes me wonder is the KO really worth 1 kids life. Or persons of any age, I think not. I did report on Darryl Stinly (sp) and they changes rules drastically with those types of possible hits, so why not dump the KO. 4/15 from own 25 will be better then on side kick IMO .

My idea is just punt the ball instead of KO

How about we just get rid of pads and the whole full-contact thing all together? We can assign players pillows to sashay the ball carrier to the ground.

This is a terrible idea. It removes any possibility of either expected or unexpected onside kicks. With all the rule changes that takes defense out of the NFL game, the league should be renamed the NFFL (National Flag Football League)

Please stop trying to fix the most perfect sport on the planet.

disc golf?

disc golf?

I'll smoke to that. :cheers:

It ain't the most excited play in football but that music city miracle was something else

It's gonna happen under Goodel watch.

They moved the college kickoff 5 yds but those kids can't kick ball to 10 yard line so it won't make difference. Being so close to Rutgers and watching the Legrand kid get hurt makes me wonder is the KO really worth 1 kids life. Or persons of any age, I think not. I did report on Darryl Stinly (sp) and they changes rules drastically with those types of possible hits, so why not dump the KO. 4/15 from own 25 will be better then on side kick IMO .

My idea is just punt the ball instead of KO

So should we stop all construction work because its worth saving the life of one person? Should we just stop the game of football so no one ever dies? Nascar should also be stopped in the name of safety. I heard a kid died from getting hit with a baseball once so lets just get rid of that sport. People should also stop driving since the probability of dying is greater than most other activities you will perform in your life.

Douche.

This may be a stupid question but did the NFL do a study that showed players are more likely to be concussed / injured on kick returns than during other plays? Because over the years I really haven't seen many injuries on special teams play. It seems much more likely that players would be injured in the receiving game, since the player is looking at the ball and not defending himself. At least in the return game you generally know which direction you're likely to get hit from.

:dunno:

Seriously stupid!!!

You want to reduce injuries in football, test for EVERYTHING. As soon as we stop getting 300 pound mammoths that look like chiseled stone because they are taking some kind of PED player injury will go down.

Return to the tackling that we were taught as kids in pop warner and high school. Keep your head up and wrap em up, if you leave your feet you leave my field son.

If you aren't fast enough, strong enough or smart enough to stop the other team then you lose. Plain and simple and it's time to get better somehow.

Also, stop making the "he lit that dude up hit" the highlight of the evening. Emphasize the game itself, not the knock out hit. IDIOTS in the media, one and all.

Here's one more thing, bring back grass fields everywhere. you don't need to change the game.

Football is physical, YES, but physical does not need to mean violent.

Just my opinion and like usual, I am probably wrong.

:thumbsdown:

Please stop trying to fix the most perfect sport on the planet. It's not broken.

Something tells me they are looking for ways to add more commercial time.. and don't think they should change the game to make more time for commercials.

With all the new rules against hitting a player too hard in 2011, it seemed like guys still got hurt a lot.

It's a violent game. Guys are going to get hurt. Anybody who has ever put on pads at any level of competition knows this.

Goddell cant get enough. Great Job, Rog. Thats OK, I have other things I can do on Sundays. Oh wait, they want to play every night of the week now. Oh well.

Eventually, many people will just stop watching games and collect their fantasy stats after the early and late games. Yawn.

Whatever.

After they ruin the game and people stop watching, do they revert back to the old style of play, or do they sit there with their thumbs up their arse and let the game die?

They may be traveling down a path impossible to reverse even if they want to because they keep telling everyone how dangerous and violent their product is.

The cynic in me can't help but think that money is motivating factor here. Isn't it always.

No kickoffs would probably mean less players on the game time roster...not to mention a coach or two less. Result...owners save money or can pay "regular" players more to keep them happy.

That means more money for the stars...which could be why the nflpa wouldn't oppose this. Not sure if they do or not.

A GM's job, not to mention, a Head Coach's job gets a little easier when deciding on who to pay....um...I mean put on the game time roster. If I were an owner, I'd probably roll my eyes everytime I had to sign a check for a "wedgebreaker".

I had another possible reason for this but forgot it while posting...it'll come back to me tomorrow, sometime.

Personally, and I'm sure I'm in the minority on this forum, I don't like it when games are decided on special teams.... I'd rather see the games decided on offense or defense.

Not to mention, less special teams players would mean less players who would qualify for that medical insurance thing for retired players that was negotiated into the new CBA or something like that....me thinks...maybe not.

This getting rid of kickoffs thing has a pretty slim chance of happening. If it does go through, it'll be because money. More money for the players and money saved by the owners.

This may be a stupid question but did the NFL do a study that showed players are more likely to be concussed / injured on kick returns than during other plays? Because over the years I really haven't seen many injuries on special teams play. It seems much more likely that players would be injured in the receiving game, since the player is looking at the ball and not defending himself. At least in the return game you generally know which direction you're likely to get hit from.

:dunno:

THat is what I initially thought. Then I heard Golic on the radio talking about how 300 pound men running full speed and hitting each other was rough and a lot of dudes get concussions because of the big hits. Makes sense, but he never cited any study or anything, just his experience. :unsure: