Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**2012 Baseball talk thread**

Starter Andrew Cashner threw 94 pitches in six innings and struck out ten in his third start for Double-A San Antonio Saturday night.

A major component of the Padres' bullpen for the first two months of the season, the flame-throwing Cashner was sent down to Double-A to extend himself into a starter after a spot-start for the Padres against Milwaukee June 9th. He gave up one run on two hits in 2 1/3 innings in that outing.

Cashner's conversion was necessitated by the flurry of injuries to the Padres' rotation this year, and while Manager Bud Black was quick to say that Cashner's timetable for return to the big leagues would not be affected by Anthony Bass's recent move to the disabled list, San Diego was already in need of a starter for Thursday's game in Houston -- less than an hour from Cashner's hometown of Conroe and a little over a three-hour drive north from the Double-A Missions' ballpark.

"We're still keeping an eye on Cash, deciding whether we're going to give him another Minor League start or bring him back," Black said. "We're going through that evaluation now. We like the way he's thrown, he feels good, in the next day or two we might have a more definitive answer."

Cashner was a closer for Texas Christian University, but did start a game for the Cubs early last season. Cashner had a 3.81 ERA in 27 appearances out of the bullpen for the Padres prior to that start and this stint with the Missions.

"He's followed the path that we've set out ... the report from our Double-A staff was good, they've seen the progress in stamina and endurance," Black said. "The side work in between is everything you look for from a starting pitcher, so all signs point to him progressing like we had hoped."

Trevor Bauer will make his major league debut on Thursday, according to FOX Sports Arizona. The third pick in last season's draft has been ludicrously unhittable in the upper-minors this year, going 11-1 with a 2.19 ERA and 111/46 K/BB rate over 90-plus innings in 15 starts (seven in Triple-A, eight at Double-A). Bauer will take Joe Saunders' place in the rotation, possibly for good. The 21-year-old right-hander needs to be owned in nearly all fantasy leagues, but keep in mind that Arizona has had him on a strict pitch count limit this year, not allowing him to go over 100 pitches in any game. His innings could be limited later this season.

PHOENIX — Whether first-base prospect Anthony Rizzo makes his Cubs debut Monday or Tuesday against the New York Mets seems to be the only debate left.

Will the Cubs wait until the matchup Tuesday against right-hander Dillon Gee or start the left-handed slugger off Monday against two-time Cy Young Award-winning lefty Johan Santana?

The sooner the better, outfielder Alfonso Soriano said Sunday.

‘‘People say lefties hit better against Johan Santana, so let’s see,’’ Soriano said. ‘‘I hope they bring him soon and he does the same job that he’s doing in the minor leagues. He’s got the talent.’’

Manager Dale Sveum just wants another option for his lineup whenever he can get him. And he has been working on different lineups to see where Rizzo might fit in the Cubs’ order.

‘‘It’d be nice to have somebody [who’s a threat] hitting behind him, too,’’ Sveum said. ‘‘Whenever you have somebody with that much hype and that much ability, I think it always helps to at least have somebody hitting behind him.’’

That might mean trying to find a way to put Soriano behind him or batting him fifth or sixth with catcher Geovany Soto behind him.

Soto, who was the Pacific Coast League player of the year in 2007 before becoming the National League Rookie of the Year in 2008, said he identifies with the hype and expectations Rizzo will face upon his arrival at Wrighley Field.

‘‘I feel as long as you keep working hard and stay in your lane, I think he’ll be all right,’’ Soto said.

Players and staff who spent time with Rizzo in spring training, ­after he was acquired from the San Diego Padres during the winter, say they don’t expect that to be a ­problem.

‘‘Hopefully he comes up and can be the same player, be the same person, have the same mentality,’’ said Bryan LaHair, who will move from first base to the outfield to make room for Rizzo. ‘‘Just be himself. And just continue to do what he’s doing

Good lord, now we've another pitcher on the DL. Colby Lewis was put on it y-day, joins starters Nefti Feliz, Derek Holland, and reliever phenom Alexi Ogando. We've been pretty lucky staying healthy with the arms the past two years, guess it's our turn for karma. :wall:

Rizzo went yard again today, hope he doesn't have the typical "pitchers just don't know how to throw to him yet" syndrome that plagues a lot of AAA guys.

Dude seems like the real deal, even though I know its the Astros, but they're 4-1 since his callup.

Rizzo went yard again today, hope he doesn't have the typical "pitchers just don't know how to throw to him yet" syndrome that plagues a lot of AAA guys.

Dude seems like the real deal, even though I know its the Astros, but they're 4-1 since his callup.

I don't think he will fail like he did before. He shortened his swing which closed some of the holes there. Also he is not hitting in petco which even for vets is a hitters graveyard. Im going to say 15 homers from here on out, 20 on the high side.

For all my baseball fans out there we have some REALLY good pitching matchups tonight featuring the best the minors have to offer. Trevor Baur(the machine version 2.0) is starting against Andrew Cashner(the fireballer who almost had a no hitter in his first start of the year and second start ever) and Chris Sale who is actually an all star this year.

Good lord, now we've another pitcher on the DL. Colby Lewis was put on it y-day, joins starters Nefti Feliz, Derek Holland, and reliever phenom Alexi Ogando. We've been pretty lucky staying healthy with the arms the past two years, guess it's our turn for karma. :wall:

I told you not to sweat it. In fact I think I predicted a nice little 13-3 stretch or so. How about 17-5 instead? With six pitchers and Moreland on the DL. It ain't always easy to watch, but the Rangers are the best team in baseball. Harrison has been fantastic and Joe Nathan has exceeded my wildest expectation. If we can get Hamilton to take a pitch and Young to wake the fock up, we might win 105 games.

I told you not to sweat it. In fact I think I predicted a nice little 13-3 stretch or so. How about 17-5 instead? With six pitchers and Moreland on the DL. It ain't always easy to watch, but the Rangers are the best team in baseball. Harrison has been fantastic and Joe Nathan has exceeded my wildest expectation. If we can get Hamilton to take a pitch and Young to wake the fock up, we might win 105 games.

I can not believe we are maintaining this ship. We've got 7 guys on the DL, 6 of them pitchers, Hamilton, Napoli, and Cruz are hitting like ass, and Young in the field is a huge liability. I guess it just goes to show how deep this club is - it's crazy. Another crazy thing is the month June. As hot as the Angels were for the month, Texas actually won 2 more games than they did during June. And omg, Nathan has been unreal - he looks unhittable right now. It's both fun and nerve racking to watch the boys play right now - hope we keep it going.

"I'm happy for the guys who made it big time, especially for Chapman," Dusty Baker said. "You figured that Joey would make it. We knew Jay had an outside chance. You also figured that Johnny Cueto and Brandon Phillips had a great chance. I don't understand that one."A snub like that looks bad." -dusty baker

I hate dusty baker. All he does is ###### complain like a little b!tch. What is he complaining about now you ask. Well now he is mad that 3 people from his team made it to the all star game..........instead of 5. Hell dusty why not take your entire team ya ###### douchbag and The only reason he left his usual racial undertones out of this rant is because chapman is black. If not he would have played that GIANT race card he carries everywhere and plays so often.

The Rizzo seems to be taking quite well to the friendly confines and should be a fixture there for years to come. So much so they have already put up Lahair for trade in his rookie campaign(which is a dumb thing seeing as how he is under team control for a good contract and can play 1st/of)

The Rizzo seems to be taking quite well to the friendly confines and should be a fixture there for years to come. So much so they have already put up Lahair for trade in his rookie campaign(which is a dumb thing seeing as how he is under team control for a good contract and can play 1st/of)

I agree, been happy with Rizzo, and you can just tell that he has energized the fans too.

If LaHair can get us a decent arm, I'd say go for it.

I agree, been happy with Rizzo, and you can just tell that he has energized the fans too.

If LaHair can get us a decent arm, I'd say go for it.

Arms are a dime a dozen and in a year that you are rebuilding anyways why trade a young future star that has so far proven capable of taking on the bigs. Most of your high priced assets will be moved this year in an effort to go young. No need to also shoot yourselves in the foot gambling on prospects.

Verlander to start for the AL in the ASG.

JV to start

Interesting considering Sale and Weaver have better numbers. I don't think you will find too many people that will argue against JV being the best in the AL despite that.

Arms are a dime a dozen and in a year that you are rebuilding anyways why trade a young future star that has so far proven capable of taking on the bigs. Most of your high priced assets will be moved this year in an effort to go young. No need to also shoot yourselves in the foot gambling on prospects.

LaHair is almost 30.

Verlander to start for the AL in the ASG.

JV to start

Interesting considering Sale and Weaver have better numbers. I don't think you will find too many people that will argue against JV being the best in the AL despite that.

Wash is well aware not having home field advantage has cost us in the last 2 WS. He wants to win this game and he knows JV is the best pitcher hands down - hard to argue that, good call. :thumbsup:

LaHair is almost 30.

Good point.

anyone else find it odd that Tim Lincecum was going year to year....till last year when he signed a 2 year contract? Then has the worst year of his career? I believe(but have no proof) that he hurt himself in the offseason and has not told anyone about it. It would explain a lot

"I'm happy for the guys who made it big time, especially for Chapman," Dusty Baker said. "You figured that Joey would make it. We knew Jay had an outside chance. You also figured that Johnny Cueto and Brandon Phillips had a great chance. I don't understand that one."A snub like that looks bad." -dusty baker

He has a great point with Cueto, he is a top 5 NL starter, not so much with Phillips.

Agree that DB is a world class whiner.

He has a great point with Cueto, he is a top 5 NL starter, not so much with Phillips.

Agree that DB is a world class whiner.

There are only so many spots and only so many players. No one team should dominate the all star team. Otherwise it will be a regional ballgame and no one else is going to watch it. Having 3 is already enough, 4 is a lot and 5 is absurd.

The winner of this game deciding home field advantage in the WS still bothers me - I do not like it. As I heard a sports radio guy say the other day - only about 3 or 4 players will actually benefit from winning the game, with no rewards going to the rest of the winning team. I'm not sure what the solution would be - but there has to be a better option.

RA over Cain LaRiussa is a d1ckbag

The winner of this game deciding home field advantage in the WS still bothers me - I do not like it. As I heard a sports radio guy say the other day - only about 3 or 4 players will actually benefit from winning the game, with no rewards going to the rest of the winning team. I'm not sure what the solution would be - but there has to be a better option.

The Pro Bowl has a great plan for this. :ninja:

RA over Cain LaRiussa is a d1ckbag

I agree. I don't understand this decision.

I was a big ass Tigers fan last night - great game against the Angels, helped us out! And my Rangers are getting healthy - look for Colby Lewis, Alexi Ogando, and Neftali Felix all to come back within the next week or so. :thumbsup:

I was a big ass Tigers fan last night - great game against the Angels, helped us out! And my Rangers are getting healthy - look for Colby Lewis, Alexi Ogando, and Neftali Felix all to come back within the next week or so. :thumbsup:

But.....where..........are..........the..........sticks? We may need Moreland back more than any of the pitchers. More Moreland may mean less Napoli, at least until he can improve his OPS above .400.

But.....where..........are..........the..........sticks? We may need Moreland back more than any of the pitchers. More Moreland may mean less Napoli, at least until he can improve his OPS above .400.

No kidding - it has been brutal to watch. How we still have a lead continues to blow my mind........ Josh is clearly distracted - my guess is about his contract situtation. He's swinging for the fences, chasing junk - and making an ass out of himself. Napoli is flat out not seeing the ball well - the dude looks lost, like a 21 year old kid. And Young - I"m afriad to say, father time has caught up to him. His bat speed is completely gone, and I'm not sure it's coming back. As a whole the team is taking terrible at bats. No longer are we working pitchers and looking for our pitch. We've gone back to the 90's style where we feel like we have to hit our way off the island - chasing bad pitch after bad pitch. Walks score runs too guys - watch the Yankees.

Now entering the final 1/3 of the season - scoreboard watching is in full effect. There are no easy outs in the American League - but oddly enough the team that scares me the most might be the Angels. Really like to see them not make the post season.

Now entering the final 1/3 of the season - scoreboard watching is in full effect. There are no easy outs in the American League - but oddly enough the team that scares me the most might be the Angels. Really like to see them not make the post season.

Maybe it's heightened expectations, but despite having a much better record (19 games over as oppose to 14) and much larger lead (5.5 as oppose to 1.5) than this same time a year ago, I don't feel nearly as confident in The Rangers right now come playoff time.

I suppose I just think our rotation seems shakier than all the other potential playoff teams we will face.

Maybe it's heightened expectations, but despite having a much better record (19 games over as oppose to 14) and much larger lead (5.5 as oppose to 1.5) than this same time a year ago, I don't feel nearly as confident in The Rangers right now come playoff time.

I suppose I just think our rotation seems shakier than all the other potential playoff teams we will face.

Wow, I didn't even realize we were doing better than last year. And for sure I'm with you - do not think we stack up well in the post season this time around. We're just not hitting and we really don't have a clear cut guy I'd feel good about sending out in game 1. But first things first, I'm still worried to death of making the playoffs.

Is there anything wrong with Verlander? Was at the game Saturday night, sat 13 rows behind the Rangers dugout - was shocked by what we saw. Verlander threw what seemed like nothing but curve balls and change ups. The few fastballs he did throw barely hit 92. I think we saw him hit 95 twice and 96 once - but that was it. We thought he was saving it to get deep and then bring it, but he never did. Was pretty strange - was hoping to see some real gas.

Is there anything wrong with Verlander? Was at the game Saturday night, sat 13 rows behind the Rangers dugout - was shocked by what we saw. Verlander threw what seemed like nothing but curve balls and change ups. The few fastballs he did throw barely hit 92. I think we saw him hit 95 twice and 96 once - but that was it. We thought he was saving it to get deep and then bring it, but he never did. Was pretty strange - was hoping to see some real gas.

He throws in the low 90s to try to get quick outs and to save his arm. He started doing this last year, and we all see the results. You'll notice when runners get into scoring position, he'll start to gas it up to the mid-90s in the early and mid innings. Then in the 7th, 8th, and 9th...that's when you'll see him reach back when he needs it or if it's his last inning a lot of the time. That's one thing that's amazing about him, he has the best fastball in the game and usually throws about 50% FBs, and usually most of those are his "light-fastball" in the low 90s.

Also when he gets mad. Sometimes this gets him in big trouble. It's strange whenever I see anyone else throwing 100+, usually know one can touch it. You would think this is especially true for JV who has 3 other great pitches he can throw. However, it seems a lot of the times guys can actually hit him better if he's throwing 100, cause it's usually just down the middle.

But, sometimes, it's mind blowingly good. 8th inning vs. the Indians in June(?), Tigers are still sucking. They muster up just 1 run through 8. JV gave up a 2-run homer earlier, but only gave up 4 total hits through 7. So, after the offense sucked it up again in the 8th, JV gets this insane scowl. He comes out in the 8th, throws 11 pitches. 9 fastballs at 100-102mph that he paints perfectly, and 2 knee buckling curve balls. Top of the lineup literally didn't touch a ball, didn't even come close. He strikes out the side in what Jim Leyland called, "The best inning I've ever seen pitch." He ended up taking a 2-1 loss for the game.

Also, some news today.

Melky Cabrera caught juicing, out 50 games.

Felix Hernadez tosses perfecto.

Miguel Cabrera hits 30th HR giving him 8 straight seasons of 30/100, and it's only August 16th.

ETA: 6 straight seasons, but 8 total seasons. Every season besides his rookie and 06' when he had 26/114.

Any Oakland fans here? They are like an annoying itch that won't go away, 28-14 since the break - how in the fock are they doing it? :unsure:

Any Oakland fans here? They are like an annoying itch that won't go away, 28-14 since the break - how in the fock are they doing it? :unsure:

16 wins vs the three worst teams in the AL (Minnesota, Cleveland, Toronto)

WTF? I haven't been paying attention, so I was shocked to see Oakland has the 2nd best record in the AL and is now only 3 games back.

WTF? I haven't been paying attention, so I was shocked to see Oakland has the 2nd best record in the AL and is now only 3 games back.

Blame it on Weekend at Bernie's :lol:

Max Sherzer's last 5 games....

5-0

1.03 ERA

35.0 IP

44Ks

I'd say he's found it for now.

Now if Alex Avila can just find the bench.