Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**2012 Baseball talk thread**

If Ibanez wins it with a solo shot tonight I will freak.

Walk him ? (assuming no one on base)

If Ibanez wins it with a solo shot tonight I will freak.

Walk him ? (assuming no one on base)

Walk him WITH a man on first. I don't care. He is the only clutch hitter they have right now.

Walk him WITH a man on first. I don't care. He is the only clutch hitter they have right now.

WHEW

They were waiting foe Ichiro to steal second to walk him - worked out better !!

Wow, talk about a bad inning of baseball! 3 plays in the field that could (possibly should) have been made and your best player and leader breaks his ankle and is done for the year. What the fock??

Weird sight that most people didn't expect to see for a couple more years: New York Yankees taking the field for a playoff game without Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera.

I'm now on game 7 of watching the Yankees constantly strike out and never get a big hit (Ibanez excluded, obviously). Now Jeter is out, the only guy (again, not Ibanez) that was hitting, and he was over .400. They be focked and I'm sick of hte sight of them right now.

ETA: And the worst part of it is that the Yankees starters are pitching their arses off right now, each start better than the one before. And they're wasting it with zero offense. Sickening.

I'm now on game 7 of watching the Yankees constantly strike out and never get a big hit (Ibanez excluded, obviously). Now Jeter is out, the only guy (again, not Ibanez) that was hitting, and he was over .400. They be focked and I'm sick of hte sight of them right now.

Good news! The "make any pitcher famous" train has arrived for Kuroda today. Though this isn't as impressive as the Tigers' work making Ubaldo Jiminez and PJ Walters look like Roger Clemens multiple times this year.

Ha, I feel the same way about the yankees. They made every pitcher for the Orioles look like Cy focking Young and it appears the only guy they can hit is Jose Valverde.

When CC and Verlander pitch...well, I'll put it this way: have two pitchers every had no hitters in the same game?

By the way, the Yankees outfielders play defense like they have bags over their heads. I've never seen worse angles taken than yesterday by Swisher and just a minute ago by Granderson. Grandy routinely takes a step in and then retreats, only to see the ball fall over his head. Unreal.

Ump's badly blown call gave the Tigers two runs in the 8th (which is all we will hear about all week) even though it didn't matter since we got the shutout. Still will have to hear "umps stole the game!!!" now.

Umps badly blow call gave the Tigers two runs in the 8th (which is all we will hear about all week) even though it didn't matter since we got the shutout. Still will have to hear "umps stole the game!!!" now.

I don't see the games but I was following along on the MLB gameday and saw that the Yankee manager was ejected, didn't know why. Was hoping it was his glasses that were fogged up, not the ump's.

Detroit is looking good, up 2-0 with the next three games in Detroit and Verlander on the mound next. I was worried using him twice in the Oakland series would cost the Tigers in the Yankees series, but it looks to all be working out. Need to figure out what to do with the closing job with Valverde's choking lately. Riding Coke for two innings worked here.

It's too early to light the cigars, but I would be lying if I say I didn't feel good about my Tigers :headbanger:

Though we will hear about how the Yankees LOST, the Tigers have played very, very good sans Valverde. Getting timely hits, scraping across runs when they need too, and the pitching. The pitching man, has been just mind-boggling. Most people thought Detroit had the best rotation in the league, but I don't think anyone expected them to be this good. The starters' ERA is under 1. One. 1.0, I think it's at like .92. If ONE of your starters have that it's fantastic, but all 4 combined is just sick.

Ump's badly blown call gave the Tigers two runs in the 8th (which is all we will hear about all week) even though it didn't matter since we got the shutout. Still will have to hear "umps stole the game!!!" now.

I knew the game was over when the Tigers made it 1-0 in the 7th. The umps may have given them 2 runs, but it wasn't needed.

As disgusted as I am, I'll watch the game tonight. If the Yankees lose, the season is all but over, so I may as well watch it now. If somehow (and I have no idea how) they can steal a win tonight (and again, no idea how this could ever happen), then I'll feel 100x better. The series would be 2-1 with Sabathia on the mound tomorrow. Again, I have no idea how this team that couldn't touch any of the Orioles starters and either Fister or the other Tigers guy (name escapes me) will be able to hit Verlander. I just know that they have to do whatever they have to do to win tonight.

I will watch the Yanks 2nit partly bcoz it's hard to pass up a chance to see Verlander throw - and partly bcoz the 2 political clowns facing off in the debate give me tired-head. ....... As much as the Yankees make me sick, I do feel bad for Jeter. The dude is a class act, and hell of a player - can play on my team anytime.

I will watch the Yanks 2nit partly bcoz it's hard to pass up a chance to see Verlander throw - and partly bcoz the 2 political clowns facing off in the debate give me tired-head. ....... As much as they Yankees make me sick, I do feel bad for Jeter. The dude is a class act, and hell of a player - can play on my team anytime.

Nope, the guy is a cheater. Just ask RLLD. Nearly everyone that's ever played baseball at any level think Jeter is all class and a model citizen, but they've all been snowed. RLLD is the only one that can see through the lies! :unsure:

I'm pretty shocked Sabathia isn't pitching tonight on 3 days rest. The Yankees HAVE to have this game. Sabathia has pitched on short rest countless times throughout his career with success. Just makes too much sense in my opinion. CC would then be available for normal rest if they can somehow force a Game 7.

I haven't caught any ALCS games but the NLCS has been pretty engaging so far. Both teams have similar vibes- scrappers who play with a ton of heart, so it's suspenseful. Seems like whichever pulls this out will more easily win the WS than the league.

I'm pretty shocked Sabathia isn't pitching tonight on 3 days rest. The Yankees HAVE to have this game. Sabathia has pitched on short rest countless times throughout his career with success. Just makes too much sense in my opinion. CC would then be available for normal rest if they can somehow force a Game 7.

Sabathia is going to pitch one of the next two games regardless and then game 7. You gotta try to steal one against Verlander then you got An advantage when Sabathia goes game 4. You throw Sabathia against Verlander and lose, the series is over. Steal one tonight and still have Sabathia an it's a whole new series.

Huddle up guys...............................Baseball SUCKS!!!

The Ball is way too hard and could kill somebody, yet the game is waaaaaay too slow to ever REALLY be a pastime, so please do something useful with your lives.

:P

I haven't caught any ALCS games but the NLCS has been pretty engaging so far. Both teams have similar vibes- scrappers who play with a ton of heart, so it's suspenseful. Seems like whichever pulls this out will more easily win the WS than the league.

So far, in general:

AL playoffs - dominant starting pitching, low-scoring

NL playoffs - weak starting pitching, tons of offense

Both leagues have had plenty of runs coming off the back-end of team's bullpens.

Well, so far this has been an offensive explosion. I think this game could be 0-0 when the first starter comes out (probably Hughes). After that, who the hell knows?

If Hughes lets Cabrera beat himi here, he should be shot. Throw your best pitch, doesn't have to be a strike, and if you walk him, so be it. Go after Fielder.

Sabathia is going to pitch one of the next two games regardless and then game 7. You gotta try to steal one against Verlander then you got An advantage when Sabathia goes game 4. You throw Sabathia against Verlander and lose, the series is over. Steal one tonight and still have Sabathia an it's a whole new series.

I disagree. "Stealing one against Verlander" seems like a pretty big long shot. The Yankees probably need to win both Game 3 and 4 to make this a series again. Do they have a better chance to win BOTH games with Sabathia vs Verlander and then Hughes vs Scherzer OR Hughes vs Verlander and then Sabathia vs Scherzer? I'm taking the first option every time. But beating Verlander is a tough proposition no matter what, and it's currently 0-0 in the 4th. So who knows...

The game just ended. The Tigers scored first and that should be enough to put this game away, regardless of which pitcher is going for Detroit. :wall:

And now Hughes is hurt. Are you focking kidding me? The Yankees were gonna have enough trouble trying to get out of a 1 run hole without having to burn their bullpen to try to keep it here. :mad: :wall:

If the Tigers can go up three or four runs right now, the Yankees will completely check out of this one.

Can't believe they got out of that one without any more damage. And it has to be said, Delmon Young has more than a passing resemblance to Bubba from Forrest Gump. :ninja:

Not that I think it'll make a difference, but that double play was HUGE! If the Yankees somehow manage to stumble into a victory, that will be the reason. Bases juiced with Miggy up and you get a hard hit double play to end the inning. Big time play there and back luck by Miggy. He hit it hard, just right at someone.

I've gotten to the point that I'm watching the game on mute. I can't listen to them blowing Verlander any more tonight. Don't get me wrong, on any other night, the announcers slobbing his knob would be well deserved. however, while he is pitching very well, they're not even mentioning that the Yankees are hitting about .140 as a team this postseason. Give credit where it's due, but I'm pretty sure I could go out there and pitch a shutout against these focking bums.

I've gotten to the point that I'm watching the game on mute. I can't listen to them blowing Verlander any more tonight. Don't get me wrong, on any other night, the announcers slobbing his knob would be well deserved. however, while he is pitching very well, they're not even mentioning that the Yankees are hitting about .140 as a team this postseason. Give credit where it's due, but I'm pretty sure I could go out there and pitch a shutout against these focking bums.

It is the exact opposite of game 2, where all we heard about was how much the Yankees were struggling and nothing about how well Sanchez pitched. Though the announcers have said all night tonight that Verlander has been giving the hitters tons of hittable pitches.

Funny thing is, I had an opposite feeling right after the game. Right after the Coke SO, one of the announcers almost immediately said, "Man, the Yankees show a lot of resiliency, never quit". :rolleyes: I was thinking "Even though they made the 9th interesting, the story here is the Tigers' dominance, the game was only in doubt for a couple minutes when Raul came up". They are down 0-3 and are getting incredibly embarrassed mostly by the Tigers' ridiculous pitching, but also partly because of their own ineptitude.

Sorry, I don't think any Yankee fan can complain about the media boosting someone else as it doesn't happen too often. It only happens when someone of the caliber of Verlander or Cabrera are playing, and rightly so.

It is the exact opposite of game 2, where all we heard about was how much the Yankees were struggling and nothing about how well Sanchez pitched. Though the announcers have said all night tonight that Verlander has been giving the hitters tons of hittable pitches.

Yeah, I thought Sanchez pitched the best game in the series thus far.

Verlander was missing early in counts and kept getting behind, but he would throw his fastball over the edges of the plate and be like "Here ya go, good luck". That was his explanation of why he only had 3Ks, he just kept getting behind batters and had to throw over the plate and try to get fly/ground outs, which he did obviously. That is the thing with Verlander, even when he isn't sharp, his stuff is good enough to shut teams out by keeping them off balance and continue to attack batters. His second no-hitter he only had 4Ks, and by his own assertion, he didn't have his best stuff that day but was able to get a lot of easy outs by just keeping batters off balance and throwing really good pitches in hitters count.

That is how good he is, he doesn't need his best stuff to shutdown a lineup like the Yankees.

Funny thing is, I had an opposite feeling right after the game. Right after the Coke SO, one of the announcers almost immediately said, "Man, the Yankees show a lot of resiliency, never quit". :rolleyes: I was thinking "Even though they made the 9th interesting, the story here is the Tigers' dominance, the game was only in doubt for a couple minutes when Raul came up". They are down 0-3 and are getting incredibly embarrassed mostly by the Tigers' ridiculous pitching, but also partly because of their own ineptitude.

Sorry, I don't think any Yankee fan can complain about the media boosting someone else as it doesn't happen too often. It only happens when someone of the caliber of Verlander or Cabrera are playing, and rightly so.

That annoyed me as well, actually. They were saying how the Yankees never quit, always resilient and I was thinking about how they have quit for 8 games now. It seems like they can't wait for the offseason to get here. The Tigers are pitching incredibly well, but let me just take a look at who the Yankees have faced so far this postseason:

Jason Hammel: 5.2 innings, 2 ER

Wei Lin Chen: 6.1 innings, 1 ER

Mike Gonzalez: 7 innings, 1 ER

Joe Saunders: 5.2 innings, 1 ER

Jason Hammel: 5.2 innings, 2 ER

Doug Fister: 6.1 innings, 0 ER

Anibal Sanchez: 7 innings, 0 ER

Justin Verlander: 8.1 innings, 1 ER

I'm not discounting how good the Tigers pitching has been, so if it seems that way, I apologize. But come on man. This lineup has gotten 8 runs in 49 innings? That is ridiculous and unacceptable.

These games are all close. Detroit isn't hitting much better than New York is, they're scoring just barely enough to win.

It's slightly better hitting, slightly better pitching and even better fielding. They do just enough in each of three tight games to win.

New York scored a ton of runs this year, best for the slump to continue one more game while they're confidence is shaken and they're still scratching their heads.

Could the Tigers' offense finally be waking up? Crispy Creme got frosted today.

Four home runs...we need to have this kind of power to win the World Series. As for this series...if not for Jose Valverde, the Tigers would have held the Yankees to TWO RUNS for the ENTIRE series.

Jose Valverde - 2/3 IP, 4 ER

rest of Detroit staff - 38 1/3 IP, 2 ER

Kind of sad that a team seven games over .500 is going to the World Series...