Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

Just watched again after reading cb's comments about posture...your lead shoulder needs to turn down much more.  Not sure which is causing which.  Rolling hands open can cause lead shoulder pulling up, loss of flexion, and obviously open face.

For sh!ts and giggles, id try this.  In this drill, your forearms are rotated properly already so no need to roll hands and arms.  Also, it promotes lower lead shoulder which should keep your primary tilt.  Word of warning...you may want to err on side of having face a touch closed with this drill if your are prone to open face.

Yeah, Fireballer is hitting on the same line of thought. I’ve seen worse (I was worse in fact) but the shoulder line at the top is much too flat. Vs this Cooch line for example. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/XZeGoEXFGGaXadqP9

I initially fixed it by starting my backswing completely with the shoulders and pulling my left shoulder down towards my right knee...but I noticed my arms became TOO passive and the club ended up too low and behind me, so I was getting stuck. So now the thought (for me at least) is to maintain posture and keep the club in front of me. It’s worked in regards to that issue, but I’ve got a lot of others to work out still. 

Keeping your trail elbow straighter, for longer, will also promote shoulders turning on correct plane.  As cb said, keeping your club in front of you is paramount.  This video about how the arms work should be required watching for anyone serious about golf.

I think mainly what I want to work on is not swaying (losing posture) on the backswing and making more of a power move on my downswing... which can be done by dropping my lead shoulder.... not dramatically.... through impact.

when I was playing more often it wasn’t an issue for me to work a fade or draw whenever needed. Now I can work a fade all day and play fine but it’s obviously a swing flaw - flaws that I’m simply able to deal with from so many years playing. 

The shoulder drop in transition shouldnt be an intent.  Its a product of what happened before that.  But, the small drop in the lead shoulder is seen in a large percentage of elite golfers.  Figuring out a golf swing fault is so frustrating.  Theres so much chicken/egg stuff.  You may have a set or grip flaw that needs to be fixed before anything else.

I am actually not understanding what you mean by “drop lead shoulder through impact”. The back shoulder is lower at impact, or maybe I’m misunderstanding. 

36 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

I am actually not understanding what you mean by “drop lead shoulder through impact”. The back shoulder is lower at impact, or maybe I’m 

When the lead shoulder stops at the end of the backswing, in most high level players, there is a subtle downward movement/drop of the lead shoulder, and then it moves upward and outward.  It doesnt retrace the exact path that it took in the backswing.

17 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

For those that want to laugh at my swing I recorded some 7 iron swings last night. It poured and then it stopped so I hit the range.

I've barely played this year but any critique is appreciated. I'll end up removing the video later on, :D

1. Yes I know I'm swaying on my back swing 

2. Also know I am not dropping my lead shoulder on my downswing / into impact like I want to

Both of those things are causing me to lose distance and my misses have been weak fades as I am sort of wiping across the ball.

Try taking the d!ck out of your mouth.

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

The shoulder drop in transition shouldnt be an intent.  Its a product of what happened before that.  But, the small drop in the lead shoulder is seen in a large percentage of elite golfers.  Figuring out a golf swing fault is so frustrating.  Theres so much chicken/egg stuff.  You may have a set or grip flaw that needs to be fixed before anything else.

Agreed. I'm playing tomorrow so I probably won't mess with any major swing thoughts but I will take some of the advice and suggestions and get to working on it next week

I honestly don't bother critiquing/recommending any swing thoughts based on video.

The only part of the swing that matters is the 3 inches before the ball, the 3 inches after impact..... Unless I'm there in person to see how you compress the ball, timing, trajectory, ball flight, divot - it's a crapshoot.

Ping G30 irons - 2.0 AWT Stiff shafts

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-r93gdx/products/65406/images/124838/ping_g30_6i_u__82900.1562752798.500.750.jpg?c=2

After years of playing more traditional, minimal offset, players irons - I finally made a switch. I've always wanted a set of Pings, decided to take a shot... Partly bcoz I'm about to be 50, partly bcoz I need more help these days and partly bcoz of my chronic wrists pains.

* I've had them a couple months....... at 1st, I hated them. I could not adjust to the offset, chunk focked everything.

* Now - things are going well, I'm really hitting them solid.

* These things fly long, high and deep. No you don't work them much, it's point and shoot - but I'm ok with that at this stage... I picked up a full club - hitting 8 iron about 160 now.

*  The AWT 2.0 shafts are made by Nippon...... They are a weight ascending shaft - the 5 iron is about 95g... the wedge 105g. Not for all - but perfect for me. (Mid kick point)

* I was surprised at how well these hit knockdown and punches. And rought? Forget it - these things plow right thru it. Which is good, bcoz Bermuda rough is nasty.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I honestly don't bother critiquing/recommending any swing thoughts based on video.

The only part of the swing that matters is the 3 inches before the ball, the 3 inches after impact..... Unless I'm there in person to see how you compress the ball, timing, trajectory, ball flight, divot - it's a crapshoot.

Also valid points

20 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Ping G30 irons - 2.0 AWT Stiff shafts

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-r93gdx/products/65406/images/124838/ping_g30_6i_u__82900.1562752798.500.750.jpg?c=2

After years of playing more traditional, minimal offset, players irons - I finally made a switch. I've always wanted a set of Pings, decided to take a shot... Partly bcoz I'm about to be 50, partly bcoz I need more help these days and partly bcoz of my chronic wrists pains.

* I've had them a couple months....... at 1st, I hated them. I could not adjust to the offset, chunk focked everything.

* Now - things are going well, I'm really hitting them solid.

* These things fly long, high and deep. No you don't work them much, it's point and shoot - but I'm ok with that at this stage... I picked up a full club - hitting 8 iron about 160 now.

*  The AWT 2.0 shafts are made by Nippon...... They are a weight ascending shaft - the 5 iron is about 95g... the wedge 105g. Not for all - but perfect for me. (Mid kick point)

* I was surprised at how well these hit knockdown and punches. And rought? Forget it - these things plow right thru it. Which is good, bcoz Bermuda rough is nasty.

Confidence in your equipment cannot be overstated.

Ping customer service = A+++

Even though my G30s are a couple seasons old, this set was new.... But they came standard, Black dot.............. I called Ping - mailed them back to their Phoenix headquarters. Not only did the adjust the lies to Orange dot, but they gave them a special metal shock treatment and, repainted the entire set... Total cost - less than $40.

Hell, the shipping cost me $45.  

:thumbsup:

Was up in Indy Thursday and Friday for a corporate golf outing, course we played Thursday was nothing special, Eagle Creek. Friday we played at Brickyard Crossing, really cool setup, 4 holes inside the race track. Neat experience and the course was in phenomenal shape. 

Would recommend.

First time I've been to a Top Golf as well, good time. 2 days of way too much drink and golf swings but, it was worth it. Scared to look at online banking because we mixed in a trip to Ruth's Chris as well...

On 8/2/2019 at 10:56 AM, Cruzer said:

Ping customer service = A+++

Even though my G30s are a couple seasons old, this set was new.... But they came standard, Black dot.............. I called Ping - mailed them back to their Phoenix headquarters. Not only did the adjust the lies to Orange dot, but they gave them a special metal shock treatment and, repainted the entire set... Total cost - less than $40.

Hell, the shipping cost me $45. 

Well the Ping G30 experiment is dead and gone.. Great irons, but just way too much offset for me - fatted everything under the sun.

Been playing a set of my buddies Mizuno 825 Pros...... Fantastic irons, but the shafts are Dynamic Golds, S300 - way too much shaft for me. I slapped it around for an 82 y-day, never pured an iron shot and declared it was the last round I'd play with them.

Fortune and chance are a funny thing - crazy how they collide sometimes.. So we're sitting in the clubhouse, settling up and having a few pops. One of our guys (a chiropractor) hears my woes and says he's got something for me to look at... A buddy of his won a set of (brand new) Titleist 718 AP3s in a drawing of some kind. Said he gave them to him bcoz he always does adjustments for he and his wife - no charge......... I've not hit them yet, but they were so pretty, hard to turn down his deal. = $1200 irons, sold them to me for $450.

They came in the Nippon AMC 880 (stiff) shafts - which are perfect for me. https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/718-ap3

:headbanger:

heh, heh, heh, heh, he said shaft

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

Well the Ping G30 experiment is dead and gone.. Great irons, but just way too much offset for me - fatted everything under the sun.

Been playing a set of my buddies Mizuno 825 Pros...... Fantastic irons, but the shafts are Dynamic Golds, S300 - way too much shaft for me. I slapped it around for an 82 y-day, never pured an iron shot and declared it was the last round I'd play with them.

Fortune and chance are a funny thing - crazy how they collide sometimes.. So we're sitting in the clubhouse, settling up and having a few pops. One of our guys (a chiropractor) hears my woes and says he's got something for me to look at... A buddy of his won a set of (brand new) Titleist 718 AP3s in a drawing of some kind. Said he gave them to him bcoz he always does adjustments for he and his wife - no charge......... I've not hit them yet, but they were so pretty, hard to turn down his deal. = $1200 irons, sold them to me for $450.

They came in the Nippon AMC 880 (stiff) shafts - which are perfect for me. https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/718-ap3

:headbanger:

Im no Titleist fanboy,,but those are much better looking than other APs. Nice thin topline. 

57 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Im no Titleist fanboy,,but those are much better looking than other APs. Nice thin topline. 

For sure - love the lines on these irons.

Fat soles and chunky top lines are good for trying to break 90, not much else.

I’m looking to buy a ore owned 3 wood off eBay. Looking at ping

cruzer, didn’t you used to or still do play a ping that you loved? G25?

1st time playing in a month last night, it's been too hot to play. Played in my league.

1st bogey
2nd bogey
3rd bogey
4th birdie - 20 foot putt (par 5)
5th birdie - 3 foot putt (par 4)
6th - double
7th bogey
8th bogey
9th bogey

1st time ever getting 2 birdies in 9 holes or 18 holes, let alone back to back jacks. We play quota (bogey is 1), so I won the night. :banana:

Good job, Ed! We have to get to take your panties off because it hasn’t been that hot. Ask Cruzer. :lol:

I have been trying to get out once a week on Sunday afternoons even in the heat.

Too hot to play?  Assume you guys ride.  I play sunday mornings to beat the heat.  By 14 it gets a little steamy.  I walked/carried 18 last sunday.  If it is brutally hot I ride.  

It is never too hot but I do hate sweating that much and feeling like you need rain gloves on.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 8:52 AM, WhiteWonder said:

I’m looking to buy a ore owned 3 wood off eBay. Looking at ping

cruzer, didn’t you used to or still do play a ping that you loved? G25?

I did - it was a Ping G. Loved it after I swapped out the stock shaft. 

36 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Too hot to play?  Assume you guys ride.  I play sunday mornings to beat the heat.  By 14 it gets a little steamy.  I walked/carried 18 last sunday.  If it is brutally hot I ride.  

It is never too hot but I do hate sweating that much and feeling like you need rain gloves on.

I walk, have a pushcart, it's only 9. Yes too hot. I went to the beach with my family the last 4 mondays, the only night she has off. it was 85/90 and muggy. which is like 95+,. way too hot golf.

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

I walk, have a pushcart, it's only 9. Yes too hot. I went to the beach with my family the last 4 mondays, the only night she has off. it was 85/90 and muggy. which is like 95+,. way too hot golf.

It is hotter in your part of the country.  But it has been a hot summer here for sure.  Cooling off now.  

Was routine 85-88 and muggy.  I tee off at 8am and it is mid 60s.  It doesnt reach mid 80s until I am almost done.  Problem solved.   No way am I going out at 2pm on one of those days.  So I partially agree.  Id rather play with a high of 60s than 90.  

Man it's been stupid hot here lately. Which is normal, but we've had freakish humidity too - almost unbearable... At 5 a.m. it's already 83* - by noon it's over 100. I got into my car Saturday at it read 117*. 

I had been playing really well. Last couple rounds were 74, 70..  Then Saturday I was on #3, tried cutting some tape for my wrist. Well the knife slipped, took a chunk out of my hand - blood went everywhere. Rushed to get stitched up A now I'm out a few weeks. :mad:

Finally found a 3-wood I like. Believe it or not, it's an model from a few years back - the TaylorMade AeroBurner. This this is extremely stable and crazy long. I picked one up online, Like New condition, for $70. Best money I ever spent. 

Was gaming a Ping G driver with an Oban Kiyoshi Gold stiff shaft. Loved it but it was getting too much for me, was looking to go to a lighter, higher torqued shaft. I love my 3-wood so much I decided to try an AeroBurner driver too. Picked up a new, 2016 HL version for less than $200.. Played 6 rounds with it and love the performance. Not a stick for all - but certainly works for me... My Oban shaft retails for $350 new - I can prolly still sell it for $175. 

7 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

It is hotter in your part of the country.  But it has been a hot summer here for sure.  Cooling off now.  

Was routine 85-88 and muggy.  I tee off at 8am and it is mid 60s.  It doesnt reach mid 80s until I am almost done.  Problem solved.   No way am I going out at 2pm on one of those days.  So I partially agree.  Id rather play with a high of 60s than 90.  

Yesterday was PUUUURRFECT!  72 and sunny, 0 humidity

3 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I decided to try an AeroBurner driver too. Picked up a new, 2016 HL version for less than $200.. Played 6 rounds with it and love the performance. Not a stick for all - but certainly works for me... My Oban shaft retails for $350 new - I can prolly still sell it for $175. 

Ive never played an Aeroburner, but Ive re-shafted a few.  I believe theyre all bonded correct? Aeroburners are under rated I think.  

I cant say Ive ever completely bought into all the adjustable drivers.  To me, they may compensate for some swing faults.  Loft and shaft weight are the biggies IMHO and the fact that any driver 5-8 yrs old has a face that drastically improves shot not hit center face.

5 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Ive never played an Aeroburner, but Ive re-shafted a few.  I believe theyre all bonded correct? Aeroburners are under rated I think.  

I cant say Ive ever completely bought into all the adjustable drivers.  To me, they may compensate for some swing faults.  Loft and shaft weight are the biggies IMHO and the fact that any driver 5-8 yrs old has a face that drastically improves shot not hit center face.

I too have never felt comfortable with adjustable clubs. Outside of looking clunky, the added weight bothered me. 

The Aeroburners are light and built for speed. I've got the Reax 55 shaft in my driver, the Matrix Rulz 60 in my 3-wood. 

Even though light, they let me swing at 75% and still get the same ball speed I was swinging fast with my others. 

Handicap down to 9.7, 3 in league...best I've ever been at. Been fighting tennis elbow, hit super fat shot last Friday in league... wrecked it, can't squeeze a tube of toothpaste. 

Playoffs start this week, might not be able to go. Fml 😬🤮😟

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

I did - it was a Ping G. Loved it after I swapped out the stock shaft. 

Maybe I’ll pick one up. I have an aldila nv shaft in an old Callaway FT 3 wood that I always loved. I can possibly pop that in the Ping. 

11 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Maybe I’ll pick one up. I have an aldila nv shaft in an old Callaway FT 3 wood that I always loved. I can possibly pop that in the Ping. 

Is that the green one? Those were good shafts if I remember. 

1 minute ago, Cruzer said:

Is that the green one? Those were good shafts if I remember. 

Orange. Might be nvs can’t remember. NV and NVS ones green ones orange. Mine was stock from Callaway at the time in my ft3 driver and the three wood. I worked in golf retail at the time and they (Callaway) had a deal if you bought both clubs. 

im not seeing too many Ping G on eBay. Any thoughts on the g25 or g30?

1 hour ago, drobeski said:

Handicap down to 9.7, 3 in league...best I've ever been at. Been fighting tennis elbow, hit super fat shot last Friday in league... wrecked it, can't squeeze a tube of toothpaste. 

Playoffs start this week, might not be able to go. Fml 😬🤮😟

Nothing worse than jerkers elbow :(

8 minutes ago, edjr said:

Nothing worse than jerkers elbow :(

Thats the right one, that's all I have left :(

Had my 28th annual Guys Golf Trip last week.  18-36-45-18.  First 18 every day was your own ball. others were scrambles.  The additional 9 on day three was a par three course at Treetops called Threetops.   Crazy elevation changes for a Michigan course for sure.  175 foot drop on one of the holes.

Playing that much golf in four days (using a riding cart all time time) gives me an appreciation for the conditioning of the guys on tour. 

PGA coming to Tulsa next May. Cruz, you should come up and watch. Aren't you in Dallas?

3 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

PGA coming to Tulsa next May. Cruz, you should come up and watch. Aren't you in Dallas?

Yea I am (Ft. Worth actually).. I love Southern Hills - it's a Perry Maxwell design.....who also famously designed Colonial. 

Although still warm, it will be a hell of a lot cooler in May there than it normally would be in August. Will be interesting to see what the weather does - you can see some nasty storms kick up in OK during May.