Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USIL0225

:nono:

Chicago gets such a rep as a tough climate. Yea right. Pansies have decent temps and weather besides the wind.

Ok i didnt say it goes from 0 to 100 and thats it. We have damn near 100% humidity every day in the summer and it stays around 90 degrees often. These past few summers it has been in the 90s more frequently.

I will say that our winters have become more mild recently. It hasnt gotten down to the teens much and there was only a smal stretch where the temps were in the single digits.

Now considering i have worked outside for my entire adult life i think i would know what it feels like. Some summers i dont want to go outside at all after work because i am sick of being in the heat.

Also, your link didnt show me any info.

Temps were nice today, but there was alot of mist and drizzle, and fock was it windy. That's one thing non Texans may not understand. We often play in crazy wind here. It was a solid 25 mph all day, which you can't let affect you. But the last 4 holes were in 35 mph winds easy. It wasnt a situation where where you take 3 extra or 3 less clubs, instead you just couldn't put the ball in the air. I was even having to play the wind on my putts. Luckily it wasn't quite that bad all day though.

Anyway, I managed an 87 at Pecan Valley River. I took 2 penalties and hit 4 non shots (chunks, etc). So it easily could have been in the low 80's. Struck the ball well overall, but any miss-hit was accentuating majorly by the wind.

I made a driver adjustment and was really sweet spotting it finally, but I was leaving it out to the right far too often. I'm done tinkering with my irons, just need more consistency. Short game felt really solid.

I feel I am getting there. But it still feels like I'm building/working on things as opppose to out there grinding out the lowest score possible.

This weekend's version of Tiger looked every bit as automatic as any version from a decade ago. At his best, he seems robotic. Where others are up and down, he simply never makes a mistake. If it weren't so beautiful, it would be boring.

The stat that boggles my mind. 72 holes - 100 putts. Think about that. 1.38 putts per hole.

I expect Tiger to take back the #1 ranking soon. I'll still take Rory if both guys are at their top gear, but Tiger will have more wins, top 10 finishes, etc this year.

Speaking of Rory, nice to see him play his last 26 holes at 11 under. Phil is a threat. Setting up for an interesting Masters.

Temps were nice today, but there was alot of mist and drizzle, and fock was it windy. That's one thing non Texans may not understand. We often play in crazy wind here. It was a solid 25 mph all day, which you can't let affect you. But the last 4 holes were in 35 mph winds easy. It wasnt a situation where where you take 3 extra or 3 less clubs, instead you just couldn't put the ball in the air. I was even having to play the wind on my putts. Luckily it wasn't quite that bad all day though.

Saturday was pretty bad, but we actually played yesterday - OMG that was insane. It had to be constant 30 mph out there with gust upwards of that. We have a 195 yard, uphill, par 3 - nutted driver, was short...... I've played in some gusty stuff, but nothing like yesterday, least not as far as I can remember. I also walked - hurting today.

How long of a course do you guys play on the regular.

Ours plays anywhere from 6600 to 6800, just depending on the tees. It's a good mixture of long and short holes. Of course in Texas, you don't need real estate to make a course long - just wind.

Another 68*, sunny, light wind day here in Texor. Biting the bullet and sneaking out at noon for you Northern winter trapped boys - this 18 is for you. :cheers:

Another 68*, sunny, light wind day here in Texor. Biting the bullet and sneaking out at noon for you Northern winter trapped boys - this 18 is for you. :cheers:

:cheers:

i hate you...

i finally got my new set of irons in the mail two days ago, right after we got 4 inches of snow.... Needless to say, this winter needs to focking knock it off before i go insane. I've practically bedded these new clubs already... they're all sticky :banana:

Down here is Houston we are looking at 78 on Saturday and Sunday with wind about 10mph. I already have two tee times booked. :overhead: :cheers:

Another 68*, sunny, light wind day here in Texor.

Too cold today. I'll just wait for Saturday (high of 82) and Sunday (high of 76) :banana: :banana:

I love Texas. :banana:

Too cold today. I'll just wait for Saturday (high of 82) and Sunday (high of 76) :banana: :banana:

I love Texas. :banana:

Too cold? Omg, not way - it's beautuful out - least it will be at 1 p.m. Yes it will be warm this weekend, but today there is going to be very little wind. Supposed to blow this weekend. Of course I'm playing Sat. & Sun. too so I'm good with it. B)

Too cold? Omg, not way - it's beautuful out - least it will be at 1 p.m. Yes it will be warm this weekend, but today there is going to be very little wind. Supposed to blow this weekend. Of course I'm playing Sat. & Sun. too so I'm good with it. B)

Is Fossil Creek still nice?

This weekend's version of Tiger looked every bit as automatic as any version from a decade ago. At his best, he seems robotic. Where others are up and down, he simply never makes a mistake. If it weren't so beautiful, it would be boring.

I sort of agree with you. He was amazing and looked like 2000 Tiger. But we all slobbed his knob and were so giddy over how well he played....yet he only won by a couple or so?

Bottom line is the field has caught up to him a little bit. Even if he is 2000 Tiger we will never see anything close to the dominance we saw then.

That said I expect him to win a major this year.

Is Fossil Creek still nice?

Yes it is. As a matter of fact, our head superintendent left and we are in the process of interviewing new ones - Fossil's is one of the 3 finalists........ I really like the golf course - but 2 things I hate about it. 1 - they only serve tall boys on the cart. 2 - Pace of play is ridiculously slow, always.

I sort of agree with you. He was amazing and looked like 2000 Tiger. But we all slobbed his knob and were so giddy over how well he played....yet he only won by a couple or so?

True - but he also put it on cruise control Sunday and basically coasted in. And least not forget, this was not the Puerto Rico Open field, this was a WGC event. He coasted to a 2 shot lead over the top 50 players in the world.

But I do agree, father time and the younger kids are catching up to him. Ironically they have done it not from a bombing or length perspective - they have caught him on his short game and his 125 yard and in game. He still hits it as far as most, but his inability to score like he used is the main difference.

But I do agree, father time and the younger kids are catching up to him. Ironically they have done it not from a bombing or length perspective - they have caught him on his short game and his 125 yard and in game. He still hits it as far as most, but his inability to score like he used is the main difference.

IMO, Tiger had a 10 year head start on everyone, as far as what the future of golf is and will be. Sort of like Wilt Chamberlain putting up ridiculous numbers early in his career, then the league took notice and caught up to a point. Take the top 50 players, teleport them to 1998 and Tiger does not have so many wins. When you consider how many courses have been altered, lengthened and "Tiger Proofed" in that time, I doubt his scoring has changed a whole lot.

IMO, Tiger had a 10 year head start on everyone, as far as what the future of golf is and will be. Sort of like Wilt Chamberlain putting up ridiculous numbers early in his career, then the league took notice and caught up to a point. Take the top 50 players, teleport them to 1998 and Tiger does not have so many wins. When you consider how many courses have been altered, lengthened and "Tiger Proofed" in that time, I doubt his scoring has changed a whole lot.

I'll agree with this with the caveat that Tiger could be coming onto the scene right now and he and Rory would be heads and tails above the rest of the tour.....In the absence of the other, Tiger or Rory would still be good for 8-10 Majors over the next 15 years IMO. Clearly heads and shoulders above the rest, but not nearly as dominant as Tiger was from 1997-2007 (or whatever span we want to speak about.)

Yes it is. As a matter of fact, our head superindented left and we are in the process of interviewing new ones - Fossil's is one of the 3 finalists........ I really like the golf course - but 2 things I hate about it. 1 - they only serve tall boys on the cart. 2 - Pace of play is ridiculously slow, always.

Thanks for the info.

Tiger certainly came in at a time when golf as a whole was going thru an entire transformation. Metal head woods were passed the experimental stage and being played by all now. Also the days of the wound golf ball were coming to an end. Tiger helped usher in the new multi component, urethan elastomer type ball that has taken over the sport today. So in that sense, yea maybe he got a head start - he was there for the start of the movement. The argument to that is that unlike the young kids today, Tiger did not grow up with all of this technology. Tiger grew up playing persimmon woods and balat type wound balls. He had to learn all the in and outs of the new equpiment too.

As far as teleporting the top 50 today back to 1998 - I think it would have little to no effect. Given all the modern technological advancements the game has today - the world top 50 is drastically devoid of major championship winners. Looking at it briefly I think I counted maybe 7 major winners, not counting Tiger. Back in 1998 there were over 20.

Well, I just checked the early leader board and Tiger won Bay Hill already and is #1 in the world again. I know he still needs to win a Major, but I'd say the comeback is complete. :thumbsup:

Well, I just checked the early leader board and Tiger won Bay Hill already and is #1 in the world again. I know he still needs to win a Major, but I'd say the comeback is complete. :thumbsup:

Pretty safe, solid round by him today - few bogeys, 4 birds, 1 eagle. The way he is striking it, the way he is rolling it, and the way Rory is right now - don't see how Tiger won't regain the #1 spot before long.

Pretty safe, solid round by him today - few bogeys, 4 birds, 1 eagle. The way he is striking it, the way he is rolling it, and the way Rory is right now - don't see how Tiger won't regain the #1 spot before long.

Vonn is homely looking and always seemed to come off in the media as self absorbed and a baby. This is a grenade with the pin pulled.

Vonn is homely looking and always seemed to come off in the media as self absorbed and a baby. This is a grenade with the pin pulled.

I don't get the big hub bub about here either - she is very avarage looking to me. Certainly not anywhere near as hot his ex-wife, or that Rachel he was cheating with.

Well unless something drastic happens, which could given the difficulty of 17 and 18, TW will soon retake the #1 ranking and another Bay Hill championship. Fowler is making a move but he's not gaining any ground...... Not that this major needs any help cooking up ratings - but no question this is going to be one of the most anticipated Masters tournament ever.

It feels like old times. If Tiger is playing, he is the heavy heavy favorite. We've seen it a couple of times before, that initial run he makes when the swing change finally clicks. I fully expect 2 Majors and 6-8 wins this season.

He does look to be more confident striking the ball, but I'm not still not convinced he's hitting it better now than he was back then. The one club that is really making the difference is the putter - he finally seems to be at peace and one with the Method stick.

What a ridiculous stat.

Tiger over his history at Bay Hill: +4 on the par 3 & 4s, -121 on the par 5s. Not exactly a testimony to his short iron play, and makes the course sort of joke.

What a ridiculous stat.

Tiger over his history at Bay Hill: +4 on the par 3 & 4s, -121 on the par 5s. Not exactly a testimony to his short iron play, and makes the course sort of joke.

Do you think this is unique to Tiger at Bay Hill? Absolutely not, or anywhere else for that matter. Tiger has made his living off of dominating the par 5's - his record would reflect this at any tournament site. You could pick any player in the field and their numbers would reflect the same thing - higher averages on par 3's and 4's, lowest averages coming from the par 5s. It is no accident TW only has 2 (i think) majors won on par 71 and 70 courses.

He does look to be more confident striking the ball, but I'm not still not convinced he's hitting it better now than he was back then. The one club that is really making the difference is the putter - he finally seems to be at peace and one with the Method stick.

I agree. It's all about the putter. But I think the confidence in his striking allows him to spend extra time with the putter, etc etc etc. It's all connected.

In Tiger's prime, he was greatest pressure putter that we'd ever seen. If he has got that back, it's enough.

Well unless something drastic happens, which could given the difficulty of 17 and 18, TW will soon retake the #1 ranking and another Bay Hill championship. Fowler is making a move but he's not gaining any ground...... Not that this major needs any help cooking up ratings - but no question this is going to be one of the most anticipated Masters tournament ever.

Tiger has gone +4 on 17-18 through the first 3 rounds. A 2 shot lead could evaporate. :dunno:

ETA: Nevermind.

In Tiger's prime, he was greatest pressure putter that we'd ever seen. If he has got that back, it's enough.

Boy it's close, I'd prolly give Jack #1 A and TW #1 B - but he's certainly amazing. I do agee about it being church if the Method putter continues to work - and a large part of this is based on the watered down fields he's playing against.... Take away TW and Phil, the other 8 in the top 10 World Rankings have a combined 2 majors - amazing.

Tiger has gone +4 on 17-18 through the first 3 rounds. A 2 shot lead could evaporate. :dunno:

Oh yea, exactly why I said those 2 holes could change things totally. But a 3 shot lead makes it a bit easier for him to approach those holes now.

If Tiger keeps this up he is officially "back". What made Tiger great was his unshakeable mental state in majors. When he lost that edge he was lost. Which is why I just don't think he will eve really be back as once you lose you confidence it's impossible to fully get it back. Now if he wins the Masters Tiger>Federer

Do you think this is unique to Tiger at Bay Hill? Absolutely not, or anywhere else for that matter. Tiger has made his living off of dominating the par 5's - his record would reflect this at any tournament site. You could pick any player in the field and their numbers would reflect the same thing - higher averages on par 3's and 4's, lowest averages coming from the par 5s. It is no accident TW only has 2 (i think) majors won on par 71 and 70 courses.

Obviously most great players make their living on par 5s. It's the disparity that is ridiculous. I doubt many people knew that Tiger is actually OVER par on the 3s and 4s for his career.

Obviously most great players make their living on par 5s. It's the disparity that is ridiculous. I doubt many people knew that Tiger is actually OVER par on the 3s and 4s for his career.

I would of fully expected him to be over par for his career on par 3's. Likewise, I would also guess most players stats reflect this as well - especially if they've had a a career of over 10 years. I am not finding your claim on the par 4's to be accurate though. For his career up and thru 2012, I show him to be -385 on par 4's.

does Tiger's recent showing mean he's railing a bunch of whores on the side, again? :banana: