Sign in to follow this  
Doozer

NE Backfield

The pats ran the ball 438 times last year @ a 4.0 ypc clip with 18 TDs.

I feel like there could be value in rounds eight (Ridley), or twelve (Vereen) as a value RB3 with upside.

Assuming Woodhead will have a similar role as last year he will have about 80 carries.

That leaves 360 carries between Vereen, Ridley, and the occasional Hernandez run. I could be surprised as he's solid at blitz pickup and can catch, but I don't see Addai being a factor. Why draft two running backs in mid to high rounds if you're not going to use them.

I'm very bullish on Ridley if he's able to keep his fumbling issue in check, I could see a 225-275 1000-1200 8-12 type year for him.

My only reservation is Vereen, we haven't really seen enough of him to make a judgement, but he was drafted highly and is really fast, will he or Addai make enough of an impact to make this a full on RBBC?

Who is the back to own in NE? Is there a back to own?

watch out for Joe Addai. this is a passing team and if Addai makes the roster, they WILL use him. He will be the superior blocker.

Im not saying you want to own him but i think its a situation that could render all NE RB's useless.

watch out for Joe Addai. this is a passing team and if Addai makes the roster, they WILL use him. He will be the superior blocker.

Im not saying you want to own him but i think its a situation that could render all NE RB's useless.

I agree that Addai is an excellent pass blocker. Just wonder how much they use him in the actual running game or if he's been brought in to protect Brady. Who's the better pass catching back between Vereen & Ridley? I think that guy would have the most value since he could be deployed in possible I-formations with Addai staying in to block.

Belicheck is notorious for pulling a Shanahan & going with the hot hand which doesn't bode well for fantasy players. Maybe a preseason injury clears up this cloudy RBBC because if Ridley/Vereen got a chance to be a clear-cut starter.... Fantasy Gold!

CBS podcast guys were just talking about them and they said they could possibly see Ridley taking over BGJE's role and Shane V being more the woodhead, yardage guy.

I really have no idea.

Just took Vereen at 9.01. I have a good feeling about him this year, but maybe more for next year. I liked him more than the other rbs still available.

The best tactic to take with the NE backfield is to stay away from them all. in the 12 years since Belichick became the head coach, the Patriots produced a 1,000 plus yard rusher only three times. Carey Dillon had the best season by far in 2005 with a 1,635yd/12td season. The other two times came in 2001 (Antowain Smith) and 2011 (Green-Ellis who barely made it with 1,008yds) On top of that in the 12 years Belichick has been the head coach only 4 times did any RB score more than 10 TD's and three of them were by Corey Dillon back before the RBBC era.

Belichick was actually the first guy to abandon a featured back and go with RBBC for an entire season and owning any Patriot RB has been, to various degrees, a frustrating affair ever since. Belichick's unquestioned ability as a tactician when it comes to game preparation has a lot to do with the fustration. No team alters their offensive game plan more week to week than the Patriots. This means each week may see totally different plays and totally different players being used which leads to all NE players (exluding Brady of course) being more inconsistent than not and consistency is the key to fantasy football.

Last season was different where two players (besides Brady) who were consistently productive enough to be solid every week starters (Welker and Gronk) but both of them were pass catchers so the RB's still can't be trusted yet. I am not saying there will be no RB from NE worth having this season but the chances of any of them having a huge season, are slim and even if they have a decent season, it is likely to be an inconsistent one.

With that said, as of now if I had a choice between a NE RB or one from another team of similar value I rather take the other RB, even one playing for Shanahan.

The best tactic to take with the NE backfield is to stay away from them all.

A wise policy

Belichick's unquestioned ability as a tactician when it comes to game preparation has a lot to do with the fustration. No team alters their offensive game plan more week to week than the Patriots.

A sound observation

Good post playmaker, and I agree with most of what you are saying, but:

Hernandez was the #3 TE in PPG last year. He was in lineups all year long.

and

BJGE was the #27th RB in total points. Not great but a borderline RB2/Flex option.

I'm not seeing it with Vereen. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise. But so far it looks like he's one of those guys that's always gonna be injured or have some other excuse holding him back. Of course he is a guy to watch in the pre-season. Maybe he pulls it all together and proves me wrong.

Ridley is the guy to get IMO. That said, fumbling issues will absolutely kill him if they keep up. I'm not really that worried about it because Belichick was comfortable enough to let BJGE and not really add another grind-it-out runner (I'm assuming Addai is too old for that at this point). So I think he believes Ridley can shoulder a decent load without coughing up too many footballs.

It all depends on ADP though. If people are taking Ridley too early I will pass. His ceiling is pretty low given that the Patriots are a passing team and Belichick loves him some RBBC.

The best tactic to take with the NE backfield is to stay away from them all. in the 12 years since Belichick became the head coach, the Patriots produced a 1,000 plus yard rusher only three times. Carey Dillon had the best season by far in 2005 with a 1,635yd/12td season. The other two times came in 2001 (Antowain Smith) and 2011 (Green-Ellis who barely made it with 1,008yds) On top of that in the 12 years Belichick has been the head coach only 4 times did any RB score more than 10 TD's and three of them were by Corey Dillon back before the RBBC era.

Belichick was actually the first guy to abandon a featured back and go with RBBC for an entire season and owning any Patriot RB has been, to various degrees, a frustrating affair ever since. Belichick's unquestioned ability as a tactician when it comes to game preparation has a lot to do with the fustration. No team alters their offensive game plan more week to week than the Patriots. This means each week may see totally different plays and totally different players being used which leads to all NE players (exluding Brady of course) being more inconsistent than not and consistency is the key to fantasy football.

Last season was different where two players (besides Brady) who were consistently productive enough to be solid every week starters (Welker and Gronk) but both of them were pass catchers so the RB's still can't be trusted yet. I am not saying there will be no RB from NE worth having this season but the chances of any of them having a huge season, are slim and even if they have a decent season, it is likely to be an inconsistent one.

With that said, as of now if I had a choice between a NE RB or one from another team of similar value I rather take the other RB, even one playing for Shanahan.

I would argue that Belicheck plays the most talented players, and if he has a dearth of talent, he finds clever ways to take advantage of certain backs positive attributes. BJGE is not a talented RB, he's a solid back who finds holes and doesn't fumble. BB drafted Ridley and Vereen for a reason and clearly has a plan for them since he only picked up Joey Addai. I would also argue that Ridley, and perhaps Vereen are far more talented than any back outside of Corey Dillon/Curtis Martin that the pats have had in over a decade. If a single back gets even 60-65% of the carries they will be a solid RB2.

I would argue that Belicheck plays the most talented players, and if he has a dearth of talent, he finds clever ways to take advantage of certain backs positive attributes. BJGE is not a talented RB, he's a solid back who finds holes and doesn't fumble. BB drafted Ridley and Vereen for a reason and clearly has a plan for them since he only picked up Joey Addai. I would also argue that Ridley, and perhaps Vereen are far more talented than any back outside of Corey Dillon/Curtis Martin that the pats have had in over a decade. If a single back gets even 60-65% of the carries they will be a solid RB2.

Belichik does use the most talented players, the question is which players will be used most for that week's game plan. It could be the starting RB, it could be the full back (ala Sammy Morris) it could be the change-of-pace/3rd down back (ala Kevin Faulk) it could be one of those veterans that Belichick picks up an the end of their career who come in for a few games and ride the bench the rest of the year (ala Lamaont Jordon and Fred Taylor) It could even be a H-back who primary use is in special teams and blocking who comes in for a couple huge games and then disappears again (ala Heath Evens and Patrick Pass)

He often uses players who we never expected exactly for that reason, nobody expected it including the opposing defense that week who didn't expect it and didn't prepare for it.

Corey Dillon was a workhorse in Belichick's first three seasons, after that he started to switch to the now familiar Patriots passing offense that uses short underneath passes in lieu of running plays. After Dillon, the NE backfield has been one of the least productive in the league. Curtis Martin played in the Tuna era so you can't really use him as an example of Belichick's tendencies.

Good post playmaker, and I agree with most of what you are saying, but:

Hernandez was the #3 TE in PPG last year. He was in lineups all year long.

and

BJGE was the #27th RB in total points. Not great but a borderline RB2/Flex option.

This is the reason I draftes him so early. With the rbs that were left I wanted Vareen because the upside is there. Plus he is a young rb which I will need, Michael Turner being my rb2. I would be very happy with low end rb2 stats from vareen with an upside of mid rb2.

I agree with everything, but..

Belichick was actually the first guy to abandon a featured back and go with RBBC for an entire season...[/quote]

Ever hear of Kiick, Csonka and Morris?

The Ridley/Vereen speculation is fun summer talk, but, as has been stated, you can never trust the Hoodie...The straight running game only really becomes integral when the Pats have a substantial lead and are running out the clock, a time when BJGE tallied many of his yards. This offense is built to use quick hitters to Welker and the TEs in place of straight runs. The occasional draw, the run every so often to keep the defense honest, that is what can be expected from the Pats when the game is still in question. This is a passing offense where the backs must be able to protect Tom and catch the occasional safety valve dump off---something that I see Addai and Woodhead being better suited and more trusted to do. Ball security is the key attribute that the hood values late in games, meaning that it will be tough sledding for either of these second year guys to earn the trust of coach right away. I see all four of these backs having decent weeks here and there, making this a team that I will avoid for all things rushing related...

I like Ridley better than Vereen, for what it's worth...

If Addai makes the team and is healthy I have a tough time believing that Addai won't be in on Passing situations -- since Brady is the franchise and they want to keep him upright. Addai is the best blocking RB the Pats have and one of the best at that in the League. Addai's role might not translate into FF points but will be big on the Pats team assuming he makes the cut. They are Moving Woodhead to basically mainly ST's - maybe a carry here and there. AS for rushing who knows I know they are higher on Vereen's upside between the 20's and Ridley would likely be the guy in scoring position.

I can see

Addai - 70 rushes and 30 rec maybe 1-2 TD's

Vereen - maybe 6-800 yards rushing with maybe 4-6 TD's and a handful of receptions

Ridley - basically ther same as Vereen but with more TD potential

Woodhead - maybe 2-300 yds ru and 20-25 rec. maybe a rec TD in a few games

Unless Vereen or Ridley can totally break away from the pack in TC and be the GUY - it's a staright RBBC at it's MAX -- and while it might work in NFL terms would be a nightmare if you had to start 1 on a FF team.

If Ridley or Vereen is around past the 9th round and you need a RB - then it may be worth a flyer. Addai would be a decent final draft pick as IMO he will be used more than folks think ( assuming he is on the team )-- If Addai isn't on the team Woodhead has his old job back and would be a decent bye week fill in as he knows the system better than any of the back and will be in on most passing downs.

If I had to choose 1 I would take Ridley as he is a complete back but the fumbles especially with BB as coach worry me -- That said Vereen IMO is the best pure runner. So basically I am staying away

Belichik does use the most talented players, the question is which players will be used most for that week's game plan. It could be the starting RB, it could be the full back (ala Sammy Morris) it could be the change-of-pace/3rd down back (ala Kevin Faulk) it could be one of those veterans that Belichick picks up an the end of their career who come in for a few games and ride the bench the rest of the year (ala Lamaont Jordon and Fred Taylor) It could even be a H-back who primary use is in special teams and blocking who comes in for a couple huge games and then disappears again (ala Heath Evens and Patrick Pass)

He often uses players who we never expected exactly for that reason, nobody expected it including the opposing defense that week who didn't expect it and didn't prepare for it.

Corey Dillon was a workhorse in Belichick's first three seasons, after that he started to switch to the now familiar Patriots passing offense that uses short underneath passes in lieu of running plays. After Dillon, the NE backfield has been one of the least productive in the league. Curtis Martin played in the Tuna era so you can't really use him as an example of Belichick's tendencies.

Ridley/Vereen from a talent perspective are far better than a used up Sammy Morris, an old and chewed up Kevin Faulk, a run down Lamont Jordan, a run down Fred Taylor, do you get my drift yet? To me, Belicheck did what he needed to do w/ a bunch of notsogreat role players that did one or two things really well. I think Ridley is the real deal from watching his games again last year, he is much more talented and well rounded than any of the chums you mentioned before.... That said, I don't know what to expect out of Vereen AT ALL.

Ive always liked Addai and he has very good hands out of backfield. But still DO NOT trust Belichick with RBs. But if forced me to choose id take Ridley.

Ridley is the running back that will take BJGE's carries. Addai will be the 3rd down back that could cut into Vereen's development. Woodhead is a tough call as he is a real change of pace.

I would go with Ridley as he at least got reps last year and they are not going to trust Vereen to protect Brady without some more playing time.

Either way, I don't think that you should look for anything more than RB3/Flex production from NE backs.

I may be in the minority here, but I personally like Ridleen Woodai.

I agree with everything, but..

Belichick was actually the first guy to abandon a featured back and go with RBBC for an entire season...[/quote]

Ever hear of Kiick, Csonka and Morris?

I'm talking about in recent terms. 10 years ago there were 32 football teams and 32 featured backs to be had. The only time you took a back-up running back is when you had the main guy and he went down or as a handcuff to a stud.

Belechick started the recent trend about the time Antowain Smith left the team. An argument can be made that Shanahan started RBBC but Shanahan plays different back less as a game plan for a particular opponent and more as a reaction to performance or injury issues.

Patriots running backs have not been good enough to be a lead back since Corey Dillon. Had they gotten DeAngelo Williams instead of Lawrence Maroney this wouldn't even be a discussion. Also, Ridley I expect to get 1st, 2nd and goal line carries. Woodhead, Vereen and Addai all sharing 3rd down duties, although the Patriots pass so much they could be in on 1st and/or 2nd downs too.

Who's the better pass catching back between Vereen & Ridley?

Comparing their college careers, Ridley caught 17 passes for 94 yards and 0 TDs in 3 years. Vereen caught 74 passes for 671 yards (9.1 yds per catch)and 6 TDs in three years.

Ridley caught 3 passes for 13 yards last season for the Patriots.

News: Speaking from a fundraising event in Baton Rouge, La., the Natchez Democrat caught up with Patriots second-year rusher Stevan Ridley and asked him about the upcoming season. Ridley sounds determined to push for playing time as soon as camp opens. "I want to get to that No. 1 spot. And to this day that is still what I'm doing with the Patriots. I'm fighting for that No. 1 spot," he said. "Everything I could have asked for is right in front of me. It's all about, 'What do you do right now?' I'm smiling and happy, but at the same time it's a business, and you have to realize if you don't do your job there is somebody coming to replace you. I'm going into this year focused with an edge I've never had. It's put up or shut up at this point, and I'm ready to play."

Analysis: Though the Patriots are always mum on their personnel plans, we assume Ridley will share in some capacity with fellow second-year back Shane Vereen, potentially taking on roles similar to what we've seen in the past from the Pats. That means Ridley could be in line for a slew of touchdowns and potentially a dozen touches per week like BenJarvus Green-Ellis used to get. Ridley's a hard-nosed runner who totaled 441 yards and a touchdown on 87 carries spread out over 12 games. In four games where he had at least 10 carries, Ridley averaged 6.26 yards per carry (307 yards on 49 carries) with a score. There's a lot of real potential here for Ridley -- he's worth drafting as at least a No. 3 running back worth a pick starting in Round 6.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball

Patriots running backs have not been good enough to be a lead back since Corey Dillon. Had they gotten DeAngelo Williams instead of Lawrence Maroney this wouldn't even be a discussion. Also, Ridley I expect to get 1st, 2nd and goal line carries. Woodhead, Vereen and Addai all sharing 3rd down duties, although the Patriots pass so much they could be in on 1st and/or 2nd downs too.

This is a common misconception, the Pats are middle of the pack when it comes to running the ball. They were 17th in the league in rushes, and only 20 rush attempts behind the #8 team Baltimore. Yes, they throw the ball a lot, but they also run more plays than any other team not named New Orleans. I'm thinking Addai will have a strictly Kevin Faulk role that could diminish as the year goes on if Vereen can earn BB/Brady's trust in blitz pickup. Woodhead will be Woodhead, and will carry the ball a few times a game.

Last year when I touted Gronk preseason everyone said there weren't enough touches to go around, Hernandez will cut into his production, Brady spreads the ball around too much etc etc.

BB doesn't follow trends, he starts them, if he feels like he has a talented workhorse back who gives his team the best chance to win, he will play that back. I think Ridley has tremendous potential if he doesn't cough the ball up. Anyway, I've posted the same thing like four times because I feel so strongly about it, this broken record will stop now.

This is a common misconception, the Pats are middle of the pack when it comes to running the ball. They were 17th in the league in rushes, and only 20 rush attempts behind the #8 team Baltimore. Yes, they throw the ball a lot, but they also run more plays than any other team not named New Orleans. I'm thinking Addai will have a strictly Kevin Faulk role that could diminish as the year goes on if Vereen can earn BB/Brady's trust in blitz pickup. Woodhead will be Woodhead, and will carry the ball a few times a game.

Last year when I touted Gronk preseason everyone said there weren't enough touches to go around, Hernandez will cut into his production, Brady spreads the ball around too much etc etc.

BB doesn't follow trends, he starts them, if he feels like he has a talented workhorse back who gives his team the best chance to win, he will play that back. I think Ridley has tremendous potential if he doesn't cough the ball up. Anyway, I've posted the same thing like four times because I feel so strongly about it, this broken record will stop now.

All I said is the Patriots haven't had a lead back since Dillon (that's a true statment). I don't disagree with what you've said either. I've already drafted Stevan Ridley in the 8th round of a 12 team redraft as my RB3 and feel good about him.

Reports keep favoring Ridely as the main favorite for early down work.

'The Boston Herald believes Stevan Ridley "makes sense" as the Patriots' feature back between the tackles this season.

The Herald suggests coach Bill Belichick "clearly believed" Ridley can be that guy based on the fact that the Patriots let BenJarvus Green-Ellis walk in free agency. Beat writer Jeff Howe calls Ridley "the primary runner," and 2011 second-round pick Shane Vereen "as the main guy in passing situations." While we don't anticipate consistent week-to-week production from the Patriots' 2012 backfield, Ridley does have a chance for high-upside RB3 value.'

It seems to me that they were testing him for this role late last season where he went 11-65, 13-64 and 15-81 in the final 3 games. He had only cracked the 10 carry mark once throughout the season previously. 10-97-1

So in 4 games that he got 10 carries his YPC was 9.7, 5.9, 4.9 and 5.4.

All I said is the Patriots haven't had a lead back since Dillon (that's a true statment). I don't disagree with what you've said either. I've already drafted Stevan Ridley in the 8th round of a 12 team redraft as my RB3 and feel good about him.

BB gave Maroney all the chance in the world to be that back, he was just terrible lol.

BB gave Maroney all the chance in the world to be that back, he was just terrible lol.

Did they draft Maroney over Dwill in that draft? I think I just read that somewhere...could be totally off base.

I see the Pats splitting up carries this year to the point that none of their RBs are really worth much except in deeper leagues. If you can figure out who the goal line back will be he could be a decent spot starter.

Did they draft Maroney over Dwill in that draft? I think I just read that somewhere...could be totally off base.

Maroney was the 26th pick, and was the second RB off the board overall (R Bush - #2)

DeAngelo Williams went 27th

Joseph Addai went 30th

Maurice Jones Drew went 60th.

The only RB drafted between 26 and the end of the second round that would have been a worse pick was LenDale White. (#45)

Maroney was the 26th pick, and was the second RB off the board overall (R Bush - #2)

DeAngelo Williams went 27th

Joseph Addai went 30th

Maurice Jones Drew went 60th.

The only RB drafted between 26 and the end of the second round that would have been a worse pick was LenDale White. (#45)

Ouch. :wall:

Maybe this is where he developed his RBBC strategy.

###### I drafted the wrong dude. I'll prove to everyone that you don't need one.

Ouch. :wall:

Maybe this is where he developed his RBBC strategy.

###### I drafted the wrong dude. I'll prove to everyone that you don't need one.

Its even worse than that. At 36 DoubleB took Chad Jackson WR Florida. :wall: :wall: :wall:

The 2006 draft was historically bad for New England. The only positive that came out of it was getting Gostkowski in the 4th round. When the best thing about your draft is getting a kicker in the 4th round, your draft sucks donkeyballz

Its even worse than that. At 36 DoubleB took Chad Jackson WR Florida. :wall: :wall: :wall:

The 2006 draft was historically bad for New England. The only positive that came out of it was getting Gostkowski in the 4th round. When the best thing about your draft is getting a kicker in the 4th round, your draft sucks donkeyballz

I had such hope for Chad Jackson AND Maroney, remember after that draft being pretty stoked. :cheers:

I had such hope for Chad Jackson AND Maroney, remember after that draft being pretty stoked. :cheers:

I took maroney 2 years in a row hoping he would turn out. What a waste. He is the reason I have changed my approach to the rb positron. I do not like taking rb with less than special measurables unless they are in a great situation. BEG is the best example this year. He was on a great offense which gave a big advantage to the run game due to the pass being so successful. Now he is in a very tough division against the run. I prefer Scott in later rounds because I think he is a better runner. He should have shown more until now but I still think he is more talented than bge.

Marcell Reece is another example. The backups behind McFadden, Goodson and Jones, are mediocre. Reece is a focking beast. He is big and agile for his size. He also used to play wr in college and has very good hands. I think the raiders had no problem letting bush go because Reece is more talented and will put up even better stats than bush if/when McFadden goes down.

All of these rookie backs that were drafted after trich and Martin have some sizable flaws in their measurables. A guy like Mario fannin on the Broncos is much more capable, if his knee heals right, than an undersized back like Hillman. I still hear some talk about Mcluster talked about like this could be the year he breaks out. The guy is 180 pounds and runs a 4.54 40. You have to be exceptionally fast if your that Size and he is far from it. I know he isn't talked about a lot but he will never be able to produce anything worth starting on a weekly basis. He will be lucky not to accrue any major injuries due to his very small frame.

I do like vareen and Ridley. They are both talented, Ridley more for his size, vareen more for his ability to create his own space. Vareen is actually about as strong as you can be for a rb under 210 pounds so even though Ridley has the size, vareen definitely has the strength to power through goal line.

As a long-time Tiger fan, I'm very familiar with Ridley's capabilities as a runner. He's definitely not a guy that will wow you with his measurables or speed, but he's perfect for a one-cut system. He's compact, durable and deceptively quick. He won't be breaking any 50-yard TD runs but he can be a guy to carve you up for 10 to 12-yard runs pretty consistently. He actually started at fullback at LSU but was eventually moved to RB to fill the Jacob Hester roll, where he held off more talented guys in Charles Scott, Keiland Williams and Spencer Ware for a couple years. Les Miles loved him.

He never had fumbling problems at LSU so the concerns in this thread about his fumbling are surprising to me.

Ultimately, I can see Ridley doing well in NE's offense with about 12-15 carries per game. I could certainly see him being the primary goal line guy ala BGE last year. I must admit I don't know much about Shane Vereen so I can't really compare the two.

Here's a little highlight video of Ridley -

Didn't Maroney have a pretty good rookie season? I remember everybody being high on him the next year.

Didn't Maroney have a pretty good rookie season? I remember everybody being high on him the next year.

He showed flashes and finished strong. There was one game in particular, against Cincinnati, where he looked like an absolute beast and got everyone really excited for his career.

Maroney's problem wasn't talent. It was a lack of intelligence and work ethic.