Sign in to follow this  
madd futher mucker

The Dolphins receiving corps is not as bad as you think!

One of my pet peeves are peeps on this 'bored' who get too worked up about the good, the bad and the ugly of pre-season games. Examples are "Eric Decker - 300 rec. and 4000 yards" (yes he's going to be a beast in ppr, but come on!" and "In the Mathews aftermath, which RB do I go after in trades?" (no, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling).

That said, it is evident that Miami's receiving corps is not as bad as you might think. In addition to Bess, Hartline and Ocho Cinco (or is it Chad Johnson again?) you have to consider both Julius Pruitt and Roberto Wallace as potential break-out players. In fact, a week ago in an interview, Hartline said that the two players on the Dolphins he felt had the best break-out potential this year are fellow WRs Julius Pruitt and Roberto Wallace.

Now, I knew about Wallace, who flashed in training camp and made the active roster last year before ending his season early on IR. His measurables - 6'4", 225# and mid 4.4 speed were enough to put a little reminder for this year in my file about him. But I really hadn't recognized the name Julius Pruitt, who had been a special teams gunner last year after spending his first year as a Dolphin on their practice squad. Turns out Pruitt, at 6'2" and 206 is even faster than Wallace; he has run at least one 40 below 4.4. turns out that neither had much college football experience and both were signed by Miami in 2010 as undrafted free agents. BTW, I have already mentioned TE Charles Clay in another post as a potential breakout player for this year.

So here's their stat lines in the 1st preseason game against the Bucs: R Wallace 4-71-0; Pruitt 6-52-0; and Clay 3-49-1. That's a combined stat line of 13-172-1 for three guys who in total probably played for about 60 minutes tonight.

So keep an eye on these three throughout the rest of the preseason and be prepared to make your move.

Oh yea, after drafting Ryan Tannehill on both of my dynasty teams, I picked him up tonight in my deep keeper league, dropping the Vikings Jerome Simpson. Tannehill performed even better than I thought he could in his NFL debut. Not only was his stat line of 14 of 21 for 167, 1 TD and no ints very impressive, but more importantly, he showed the pocket presence of a veteran and was passing into tight windows with accuracy and confidence in his big arm. I'm not going to get too carried away after one game. After all, Tannehill played against the 2nd string Bucs' D, coming in after starter Matt Moore (7-12-79-0-1). I'm really not planning on starting him on my Fantasy teams this year anyway - but I liked what I saw so far.

As a loyal, long time, long-suffering Dolphin fan I thought I'd chime in.

The only one of the guys you mentioned (other than Clay who I consider basically a H Back) who has upside here is Wallace. Pruitt's route running needs a lot of work and he's not a natural in terms of hands...he fights the ball a lot on the way into his body.

Wallace is big and attacks the ball in the air...he reminds me of Oronde Gadsden from a few years back but he looks to be a bit faster and more athletic.

Other than that Bess will probably get between 70-80 catches. I think Clay surprises and gets between 50-60. Wallace like I said before is the wildcard but the rest of the receptions will probably get spread around.

From a dynasty perspective...I'm really liking Tannehill. Big kid, strong arm, poised in the pocket, and gets rid of the ball quickly and cleanly. Kid is not afraid to throw the ball into tight windows either. The future is bright for this kid.

I don't think that guy literally expected Decker to catch 300 balls for 4,000 yards.

I'm not so sure he's actually chicken little either

It depends on what format we are thinking of taking them in. Redratf i will not touch any of them. Dynasty deoends in the depth ofbthe league. In a large league a guy who is 6-4 and runs 4.4 40 should be rosterd somewhere. On a shallower roster it all depends. My wr in dynasty are fitzgerald, nelson, garcon, hankerson, malcom floyd, l moore, alshon, aj jenkins. I consider all of those guys much more valuable in terms of immediate success and long term success.

Anyone else feel like there are more 6-3 wr than ever coming into the nfl? I hope the defensive side of the ball in the nfl as a whole can somehow learn to counter all the height and athleticism of wr these days. Goodell will have non of that if its up to him.

I don't think Bess gets enough of credit for how good he is, or how good he could be. Because of the Dolphin offenses he's been a part of.

:dunno: just .02 though.

They may not be that bad, but yes they are THAT bad as a fantasy option. When your top option is barely a top 50 WR off in fantasy they are that bad..

I don't think that guy literally expected Decker to catch 300 balls for 4,000 yards.

Well this was enough to cause me to lower my projections on on him! :)

I'm not so sure he's actually chicken little either

I'm not so sure I wasn't actually using a little counter-hyperbole with these thread titles. ;)

As a loyal, long time, long-suffering Dolphin fan I thought I'd chime in.

The only one of the guys you mentioned (other than Clay who I consider basically a H Back) who has upside here is Wallace. Pruitt's route running needs a lot of work and he's not a natural in terms of hands...he fights the ball a lot on the way into his body.

Wallace is big and attacks the ball in the air...he reminds me of Oronde Gadsden from a few years back but he looks to be a bit faster and more athletic.

Other than that Bess will probably get between 70-80 catches. I think Clay surprises and gets between 50-60. Wallace like I said before is the wildcard but the rest of the receptions will probably get spread around.

From a dynasty perspective...I'm really liking Tannehill. Big kid, strong arm, poised in the pocket, and gets rid of the ball quickly and cleanly. Kid is not afraid to throw the ball into tight windows either. The future is bright for this kid.

Now this is great info! Thanks. Like I said, the only one I even had a note on before seeing them last night was Roberto Wallace. There's usually a reason for that. I will keep my eye on Wallace to see if he keeps flashing his good stuff. This is the type of thing that brought Colston to my attention as a rookie and I was able to roster him before the start of the season (in a redraft league) and before anyone else in my league know who he was.

It sounds like Pruitt has some flaws to overcome, but I can understand why he is so raw. My research last night uncovered that he was undrafted out of Ouachita Baptist University. Not to pizz-off any OB alums, but who the hell ever heard of it? I'm guessing he didn't have much of a receivers coach there. Maybe the Miami receiving coach can coach him up a bit over time. I've projected Clay on the low end of your estimate, but these are the type who are capable of breaking out in a meaningful way. Since I haven't watched a lot of Miami games (gosh, I wonder why?), I appreciate your observations, and am happy to hear you share my enthusiam for Tannehill.

I don't think Bess gets enough of credit for how good he is, or how good he could be. Because of the Dolphin offenses he's been a part of.

:dunno: just .02 though.

The thing is, if Bess was going to break out and become a PPR star and viable starter in standard scoring leagues, wouldn't that have happened last year?

I was high on Bess, but it seemed like he had a good situation to succeed last year and didn't really do it.

I hate to say it, but I'm avoiding all Miami wrs this year.

After studying a bit more, I passed both Pruitt and Wallace, but picked Chris Hogan with my last true pick in the supplemental draft - my 23rd player rosterred. At that point it was just a shot, easy to cut and really didn't matter.

Pruitt has speed but poor hands. Wallace, who they want to win the job because he's a special physical specimen, is stiff in the hips and can't sell route fakes nor get out of his breaks to get the separation his speed suggests he's capable of. Hogan has the least experience and is doing the most, but he will have to clearly separate himself from the pack of WRs.

It's a case of too many WRs because they have no WRs. Last night's game was horrid - between the drops and the penalties it was very hard for me to watch.

I'd agree avoid all of them except for all but the deeper dynasty leagues, and then maybe only as a complete flier.

After studying a bit more, I passed both Pruitt and Wallace, but picked Chris Hogan with my last true pick in the supplemental draft - my 23rd player rosterred. At that point it was just a shot, easy to cut and really didn't matter.

Pruitt has speed but poor hands. Wallace, who they want to win the job because he's a special physical specimen, is stiff in the hips and can't sell route fakes nor get out of his breaks to get the separation his speed suggests he's capable of. Hogan has the least experience and is doing the most, but he will have to clearly separate himself from the pack of WRs.

It's a case of too many WRs because they have no WRs. Last night's game was horrid - between the drops and the penalties it was very hard for me to watch.

I'd agree avoid all of them except for all but the deeper dynasty leagues, and then maybe only as a complete flier.

I have to agree. I've been holding Wallace hoping something would develop, but the guy is a plodder...doesn't get into or out of his breaks at all.

Its not going to matter who the Dolphins WRs are if Ryan Tannehill's Wife's Husband doesnt learn to throw over or around defensive lineman. Im pretty sure he had 27 passes batted down last night in the first half.

Its not going to matter who the Dolphins WRs are if Ryan Tannehill's Wife's Husband doesnt learn to throw over or around defensive lineman. Im pretty sure he had 27 passes batted down last night in the first half.

I'm giving Tannehill a pass on that score. That was some of the worst OL play Ive seen in a while. They just could not hold the penetration of the Defense - got pushed backward all nite long. If you can't control the LOS, at least keep the D line from getting their hand up when u are getting pushed backward.

The Dolphins appear to have problems all over the place. It really won't matter who the starting QB is if the team is gonna play like this. Lots of technique stuff to work on.

On the other hand, I like Philbin as a HC so I believe they will improve...no place to go but up anyway.

On the other hand, I like Philbin as a HC so I believe they will improve...no place to go but up anyway.

I agree with this - I'm high on Philbin as a good character guy and I'm glad he got a chance to get out of GB and ascend the coaching ladder. The team's going to take some time to turn it around. Someone on the roster will catch 60 balls this year. Hard to say who or which player to target long term though.

7-11....he's always open. :banana:

Couldn't agree more

I agree too. By the way, really nice wide receivers on your team, wow.

The team's going to take some time to turn it around.

My Dolphins have been trying to turn it around for 12 years since Marino left. Yet the team needs more time. :cry:

I hate to say it, but I'm avoiding all Miami wrs this year.

I'm avoiding all Miami players for the next 3 years.

The thing is, if Bess was going to break out and become a PPR star and viable starter in standard scoring leagues, wouldn't that have happened last year?

I was high on Bess, but it seemed like he had a good situation to succeed last year and didn't really do it.

Not sure I see it that way...Combine Miami's piss-poor passing game last season with the fact that Marshall was the undisputed go to guy nearly whenever they did try to throw and I don't see how last season is any indication of Bess' potential for this season...If anything, I see his top end this year as BMarsh's numbers from last year...

They definitely are not as bad as we think....they're absolutely worse.

This is one of the most embarassing WR depth charts that has been fielded by ANY NFL team during the last 5 years. Maybe I'm overlooking/forgetting someone but I'd love to hear what team in recent memory has fielded something worse than this:

Wallace

Hartline

Bess

Pruitt

Nanee

Let's throw the TE's into the discussion as well since they are part of the "pass catchers"

Fasano

Clay

Agnew

Les Brown

Ireland should be embarrassed at this collection of "talent" he's amassed. He should also be looking for a job soon if there is any justice in this world.

This unit is absolutely DEVOID of any playmaking ability.

This is one of the most embarassing WR depth charts that has been fielded by ANY NFL team during the last 5 25 years.

Fixed

I believe the Dolphins have a bigger upside than any team in the league. The ingredients are there to make it happen, now it's just a matter of understanding the teams new direction under HC Philbin.

Ryan Tannehill seems to have the tools to become a great NFL QB. Once he really grasps the concept of Philbins offense he could become a top ten fantasy QB. They have the personel to give him plenty of options. Receivers to run the deep routes, slants, quickouts. Running backs that can take screen passes 70 yards and servicable TE's. He has a tremendous left tackle for protection. It's going to take time to develop, but he has the skills and more importantly the correct coaching around him to get him there.

Their running back stable could be on the verge of great things. Reggie Bush is a do it all type of back. He may not have the power of a short yardage back, but he can hit the holes quick, get to the edge, great hands. He would be better in a "Darren Sproles type role", but the other backs aren't ready for that. Daniel Thomas and LaMar Miller could become solid backs. Personally I like Miller more. Thomas runs a bit too upright for my liking, but Miller's skills are more tailored for the NFL.

Roberto Wallace and Marlon Moore could become the two staples of the wide receiving core. Naanee couldn't cut it in pass happy San Diego and while Bess seems to be the perfect slot receiver, he simply hasn't put up. Wallace and Moore both have pretty good size and speed. Moore is a bit more polished, but I think the coaching staff is rooting for them to really step up and earn the jobs. Hartline will die with "This could be the year" carved on his tombstone.....done with him as well.

It's a waiting game for this team. I belive Tannehill, Miller, Wallace, Moore and Clay are the future. What we dont' know is the future half a season away? Is it next year? If I had Jimmy Graham this year, I'd feel pretty good taking Clay in round sixteen as my "wait and see" back up. If you have Wallace as your sixth wide receiver...what's it hurt? Other than Jacksonville I think most teams are what you see is what you get. The potential in Miami is very good....now it's just whether or not they can live up to it or if they all turn into Ryan Leaf potenial!!

I'm willing to admit I was wrong about the Miami receiving corps. Chad Johnson was a desperation pick-up who they counted on to bail them out for near the veteran's minimum, and now that he's gone, nobody is both talented enough and ready enough to step up.

Yes, it is apparent that the coaching staff wants Wallace to win the WR job to go along with Bess and Hartline, even though Hartline himself is mediocre at best. Wallace either needs significant coaching on routes or he is just too stiff in the hips to get it done. He's big and fast, but doesn't have the quick twitch to release from his breaks. I just don't see it happening for him this year, and I question the ability of the receiving coach to coach it out of him anytime soon. I look at Marlon Moore and see no consistency there either. Hogan may be the most natural WR they have, and 2 years ago he was playing LaCrosse at Monmouth college. If you could be a "walk on" for any NFL team at WR, this is the one. Half of their receiving corps (Pruitt, Wallace and Hogan) were undrafted free agents.

Interesting posts from both Ace and Cuse. Got to come down on the side of Ace, especially regarding Ireland. Ireland's tenure as GM has been 95% about saving money and maybe 5% about evaluating talent. He should have been gone last year. Where are any playmakers except Tannehill? The D looked terrible, and they are the best part of this team. The offensive line is bad, and all the skill positions except Tannehill are mediocre.

I agree with Cuse that it is a waiting game with this team. My problem is, how long will 'Fins fans have to wait? As long as Ross has enough faith in Ireland for him to keep his job, Miami will likely continue to be about promises in the future and losses in the present.

As a 30 year pissed off Dolfan...I've reached my boiling point.

This team has holes all over the place. They spent 1,237,325 draft picks on the offensive line over the past 6-7 years and the right side of the O-Line is still a 5#%#d"88 MESS! The aforementioned WR depth chart is LEGENDARY bad....I'm talking one of the worst depth charts fielded by ANY NFL team in recent memory. Our best running back is a scat back. I like Bush but he can't be a bell cow. We reached in the 2nd round (not to mention we traded up) to draft a mediocre talent in Daniel Thomas who if God forbid Bush gets hurt will be nothing better than a plodder.

For some of you holding out hope that Thomas is somehow a late round sleeper let me explain something to you...he's the type of back where if the O-Line blocks for 5 yards worth of space he'll find a way to only get you 4. Did I mention we TRADED UP in the 2nd round to draft this?

The Defense....oh the defense....outside of Wake there is no pass rush outside of bringing extra guys via the blitz. The corners are ok but vastly overrated...not elite in any way shape or form. The safeties are ridiculously average. The linebacking core is ok....but they aren't game changers.

Other than the aforementioned points...this is a hell of a squad. A squad that Ireland should be proud of and should forevermore attest to the greatness that is Jeff Ireland.

A man ahead of his time. It's not easy to leave THIS many holes on one roster.

I honestly feel bad for Tannehill. You can tell he's got the goods to be an excellent quarterback...too bad he's surrounded by the seven dwarfs.

I have to agree with the above post with Reggie Bush, drafted him as a backup and quietly produce the second half of the year.

I have to agree with the above post with Reggie Bush, drafted him as a backup and quietly produce the second half of the year.

Bush is the only Dolphin worth owning in FF this year. In ppr leagues he'll be a good producer on a points per game basis as long as he stays healthy.

It's worse.

+1

Looks like the 'Fins just blew up the whole WR corps except Bess. Jeff Fuller waived, Roberto Wallace waived, BJ Cunningham wiaved, Clyde Gates waived.

It looks like Chris (Seven Eleven "open 24/7") Hogan survived so far.

In related news, Jeff Ireland waived himself.

Stallworth, Gaffney, Simms-walker among the wide receivers working out for the fins.

Stallworth, Gaffney, Simms-walker among the wide receivers working out for the fins.

I expect Gaffney to make it.