Sign in to follow this  
BufordT

Just Watched the ESPN FF Show

Not much to report other than they need a couple hosts who are a little more passionate about this stuff. Hasslebeck and the other guy looked kind of embarassed to me. Probably wishing their gig would be on Countdown or something. The injury girl, Stephania Bell, was very good though. Couple of nuggets...

Witten's spleen injury, due to the nature of spleen injuries, will need to be 100% healed before returning to action...almost impossible to predict...

The other host, not Tim Hasslebeck, was raving about Jared Cook's athletic prowess...so if you're waiting on a TE..??

Other than that, I didn't really get any new or useful info.

These kind of shows are really geared toward the office guy who picks up a mag a week before the draft and pages through it on the crapper. Most people here know way more than your average FF pundit on TV.

I'm not a Matthew Berry fan but I wouldn't question his passion...dude made a career from scratch out of fantasy football.

I'm not a Matthew Berry fan but I wouldn't question his passion...dude made a career from scratch out of fantasy football.

Maybe it was his poor "delivery" that turned me off.

Maybe it was his poor "delivery" that turned me off.

I'm sure...he earned his chops as writer. Before getting involved in fantasy was a Hollywood writer...did married....with children in it's last season and a few crappy movies

These kind of shows are really geared toward the office guy who picks up a mag a week before the draft and pages through it on the crapper. Most people here know way more than your average FF pundit on TV.

Bingo. I watched it while I did some work, and it was pretty uneventful. I expected this however.

My biggest complaint about ESPN is they base just about everything on 10 team leagues?

Id like to know the percentage of people who play in 10 team leagues? Im in 4 leagues and they are all 12 team leagues.

I'm sure...he earned his chops as writer. Before getting involved in fantasy was a Hollywood writer...did married....with children in it's last season and a few crappy movies

Sounds a lot like your life.

You earned your chops by watching guys fock your wife, your house burned down, and the highlight of your life is the tent in your yard where you watch football that didn't get blown away in the last big storm.

:banana:

I don't put any stock into anything these clowns say about ffball. I trust my own evaluation over most "experts" who really are just guys who played football but do not understand the intricacies of fantasy sports. Another example of this is while listening to the local espn 1000 show of carmen, jurko, and harry I dismiss any kind of "expert" advice they give on the subject. Sure they all play fantasy football but they are more concerned about the actual game.

Sounds a lot like your life.

You earned your chops by watching guys fock your wife, your house burned down, and the highlight of your life is the tent in your yard where you watch football that didn't get blown away in the last big storm.

:banana:

You're way off base...my house didn't burn down. It was our vacation house. :wave:

I trust my own evaluation over most "experts" who really are just guys who played football but do not understand the intricacies of fantasy sports.

By intricacies, you mean gaining yards and scoring TDs ?

Sounds like you're the Master of your League, but I'd prefer those who've lived this sport since birth and been in and around the NFL for years are a bit more qualified to give their thoughts on the future over assclowns that grew up watching it on TV and playing Madden on Playstation.

Show a little respect you fat fock :overhead: .

My biggest complaint about ESPN is they base just about everything on 10 team leagues?

Id like to know the percentage of people who play in 10 team leagues? Im in 4 leagues and they are all 12 team leagues.

That was super annoying. They kept saying stuff like "well if you can get Darren McFadden in the 4th round that would be good value." They said that AP was being drafted before McFadden in most leagues?? It was just stupid.

By intricacies, you mean gaining yards and scoring TDs ?

Sounds like you're the Master of your League, but I'd prefer those who've lived this sport since birth and been in and around the NFL for years are a bit more qualified to give their thoughts on the future over assclowns that grew up watching it on TV and playing Madden on Playstation.

Show a little respect you fat fock :overhead: .

Show respect to a guy who made millions of dollars playing a game? I mean i respect what they do but these guys werent concentrating on strategies to win in a fake footbal league. If i want actual football expert analysis sure i will gladly watch someone like trent dilfer. There is also an aspect of mass media over adulation i do not enjoy as they over promote players they think will be good based purely on some camp speculation. How many times has ridley been mentioned? Now compare that to vereen. Vereen is a more dynamic runner and both are in the belichik system. Who really knows what his plan is? No one. Imo the prospect of either being a functional fantasy rb should be explored.

Now crawl back into the hole where you came from and come back when you have decided to add something usefull to the conversation. Jerk face. :bandana:

I agree these guys aren't experts...any more then I am am expert, anyway. Football is the only sport I really follow super close...year round. I still listen into these shows and written articles though, take it all in and come to my own conclusions. Every once in a while one of these "experts" will at the least give you something to consider that you haven't thought of...whether you agree with their ultimate conclusion. That's the real take away. If I was just going to rely on someone else's opinion to run my team I wouldn't even want to play FF.

Show respect to a guy who made millions of dollars playing a game? I mean i respect what they do but these guys werent concentrating on strategies to win in a fake footbal league. If i want actual football expert analysis sure i will gladly watch someone like trent dilfer. There is also an aspect of mass media over adulation i do not enjoy as they over promote players they think will be good based purely on some camp speculation. How many times has ridley been mentioned? Now compare that to vereen. Vereen is a more dynamic runner and both are in the belichik system. Who really knows what his plan is? No one. Imo the prospect of either being a functional fantasy rb should be explored.

Now crawl back into the hole where you came from and come back when you have decided to add something usefull to the conversation. Jerk face. :bandana:

Ridley hurt in practice yesterday...some saying it's a knee injury Boston globe saying hamstring. Nothing official yet.

I made it half way through before changing to Sports center.

I agree these guys aren't experts...any more then I am am expert, anyway. Football is the only sport I really follow super close...year round. I still listen into these shows and written articles though, take it all in and come to my own conclusions. Every once in a while one of these "experts" will at the least give you something to consider that you haven't thought of...whether you agree with their ultimate conclusion. That's the real take away. If I was just going to rely on someone else's opinion to run my team I wouldn't even want to play FF.

Yeah, I'll check in with a few different "experts"....although they never accept the moniker, they prefer to be called analysts. Ultimately, I draw my own conclusions and don't rely on anyone else's opinions about my fantasy team. Making decisions is what the stupid game is all about anyway.

I disagree with alot of what these guys say, especially the ESPN crew. But they don't pretend to know everything. At least Berry seems pretty humble. He takes it hard when he makes a wrong call because he realizes he probably screwed some teams. The Mikes here probably feel the same way.

It's a thankless job, and while I don't always agree with their conclusions, I at least have enough respect for folks who try to do their jobs well not to think I could do it any better.

Yeah, I'll check in with a few different "experts"....although they never accept the moniker, they prefer to be called analysts. Ultimately, I draw my own conclusions and don't rely on anyone else's opinions about my fantasy team. Making decisions is what the stupid game is all about anyway.

I disagree with alot of what these guys say, especially the ESPN crew. But they don't pretend to know everything. At least Berry seems pretty humble. He takes it hard when he makes a wrong call because he realizes he probably screwed some teams. The Mikes here probably feel the same way.

It's a thankless job, and while I don't always agree with their conclusions, I at least have enough respect for folks who try to do their jobs well not to think I could do it any better.

I agree with you. I wasn't ripping them, more just pointing out that they are not the best source of advice. Even though they may be humble enough to admit they are no expert, the station they are working for would love for you to believe it and have as many people lapping up the info. Before I used the internet as my primary source of ffball info I would listen for any hint of advice on the radio and tried to make it a point to turn on a show if they were going to have a half hour or so of ffball talk. I still enjoy just ffball talk coming from these sources but the advice and projection aspect is where I feel underwhelmed.

I think most of us have been in fantasy football long enough to draw our own conclusions and stategies. However, what we don't have that is the life blood of fantasy football is FIRST HAND ACCESS TO INFORMATION. Therefore, we watch 30 minutes of obvious analysis to just try and pick up those nuggets that might sway us: i.e. a lacerated spleen must fully heal before a player hits the field again (although I would think that is rather obvious also; Ridley may have a hamstring; whats going on with Jermaine Gresham. Websites may report it but not have an accurate take on what it really means.

And the most crucial news that can be the most ignored news: who went down on the offensive line? Who is the fill in? Did a tackle move to guard? What's going on up front? What does Kuper's injury in Denver mean to Manning? Manny Ramirez took his place? Denver's O-Line is deep "they" say.

Too much information can make one overreact. But I like the INFORMATION!!!

EDIT: Just read some information in another thread that is an example of this. Now, we all know what we are getting/not getting with Ryan Mathews, and this comment is not a surprise, but admittedly it does sway me on whether I would even think about him:

"It takes six weeks for the bone to heal even after you fix it with the clavicle plate and screws," Ghodadra told Jason Smith on NFL Fantasy LIVE. "The bone still has to heal so you are looking at six weeks for that at minimum. Studies have shown 8.8 weeks is how long it takes for NFL players to get back from clavicle fractures."

Most people here know way more than your average FF pundit on TV.

Duh. Everyone here wins their league.

Everyone here may not win their league, but seriously, how many here could write the "waiver wire' stories every week? Uh, let's see. Who got hurt? Who is their backup? What is their schedule? How long is the injured player out? Give us the information and we're all good. We can have slight differences of opinons, but by-and-large everyone knows the waiver candidates.

Everyone here may not win their league, but seriously, how many here could write the "waiver wire' stories every week? Uh, let's see. Who got hurt? Who is their backup? What is their schedule? How long is the injured player out? Give us the information and we're all good. We can have slight differences of opinons, but by-and-large everyone knows the waiver candidates.

Everyone here wins their leagues. Just ask them. :)

Most of this bored still asks who to start or who to target at the 8 spot or who to take a flier on. Most people here do not know more than the Funstons and Berrys of the FF world. That said, there are guys and gals(who might be guys) here who do know their stuff. It's not necessarily that they always make the right predictions, but whatever predictions they do make are supported by sound rationale. I really appreciate the effort that some posters make here. I don't always agree with their conclusions, but they do provide insight into their way of thinking, and that is very valuable in assessing my own opinions on a certain player.

Check out Yahoo's QB ranking. Matty Ice number 12? Really?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/preseason-ranks--quarterback.html

6-14 is very difficult to decipher. I personally think Ryan has moved into the 6th spot but who knows, it was only a pre-season game. RG3 is the fellow I think may be a little high. Rodgers through Stafford are studs. Anyone of Ryan through Ben could be.

Nearly everyone here already knows anything they could potentially learn from FF pundits on ESPN.

Your missing another key point as well, setting up your ADP numbers. Knowing that most casual Fantasy Footballers are using generic ESPN cheat sheets and who ESPN is listing as a top sleeper is good info going into a draft.

ESPN fantasy broadcasts are painful because they try to put the former jocks in there that treat it like a joke. If they put in the nerdy geeks that love it and are passionate about it along with some decent straight men/broadcasters and some eye candy they might actually improve their ratings. :thumbsup: But thats outside the box, risk taking thought and when your a producer making six figures at ESPN you dont want to jeopardize that.

I will agree the "I won last year" is a pretty common refrain but most posters say junk like that to add weight to their arguements. I am pretty sure anyone with half a brain can read the one line responses, whining, flame wars are realize who is and who is not adding value to a topic. Guess what, "Duh everyone here wins their league" is funny but definitely falls into the useless trolling category.

It's a tough job. Everyone's league is a little different. Everyone's scoring system is a little different. The audience runs the spectrum on experience. You have to think of a way to present the info that makes it applicable to the most people.

I watched Fantasy Football Now a lot last year, and made a few gameday lineup changes based on their prognostications.

I got burned every time.

Not much to report other than they need a couple hosts who are a little more passionate about this stuff. Hasslebeck and the other guy looked kind of embarassed to me. Probably wishing their gig would be on Countdown or something. The injury girl, Stephania Bell, was very good though. Couple of nuggets...

Witten's spleen injury, due to the nature of spleen injuries, will need to be 100% healed before returning to action...almost impossible to predict...

The other host, not Tim Hasslebeck, was raving about Jared Cook's athletic prowess...so if you're waiting on a TE..??

Other than that, I didn't really get any new or useful info.

Already drafted and I waited and drafted Jared Cook and added Greg Olsen so hopefully I'll have a decent enough TE while making the other positions stronger for having waited.

Your missing another key point as well, setting up your ADP numbers. Knowing that most casual Fantasy Footballers are using generic ESPN cheat sheets and who ESPN is listing as a top sleeper is good info going into a draft.

ESPN fantasy broadcasts are painful because they try to put the former jocks in there that treat it like a joke. If they put in the nerdy geeks that love it and are passionate about it along with some decent straight men/broadcasters and some eye candy they might actually improve their ratings. :thumbsup: But thats outside the box, risk taking thought and when your a producer making six figures at ESPN you dont want to jeopardize that.

I will agree the "I won last year" is a pretty common refrain but most posters say junk like that to add weight to their arguements. I am pretty sure anyone with half a brain can read the one line responses, whining, flame wars are realize who is and who is not adding value to a topic. Guess what, "Duh everyone here wins their league" is funny but definitely falls into the useless trolling category.

Everyone here wins their league, has a model for a wife, has a 13 inch dong, and makes $400,000 a year. Didn't you know?

The comment was meant tongue in cheek, but was also meant to counter the absurd notion that most posters here know more than the ESPN crew. There are a lot of geeks here who provide quality insight. I would take their word on a player/situation before Mathew Berry's. But not everyone here is more knowledgeable than Berry or Behrens. Most folks here ask who to draft. Mind you they don't make compelling arguments, or give insightful analysis as to why they're considering player X. Nope. They just start a thread asking who should I take at the 8 spot. They ask which of these guys would you rather have? Who should I start? Should I make this trade? None of it substantiated with any sort of logic that folks could apply to their own fantasy squads.

Nope, most geeks don't know more than the FF pundits. Just wait to see all the rosters in the sigs. A top preseason D/ST? Means you probably drafted them well before you should have. Hey, you've rostered two D/ST! There's no way you can lose now! Take a QB in the 1st, then pair him with another QB in the 10th? Brilliant!

I'm actually sticking up for the guys and gals(who might be guys here) who are very knowledgable. Both here as geeks, and on other sites as "experts". They take the time to explain themselves, and in the process help many a FFer willing to sift through relevant information. To say the comment was useless trolling means you don't really understand much of anything.....though you seem to think you do Mr. Thinking Outside The Box. :rolleyes:

I watch that show, then go againist everything he says. He would rather have Decker instead of D Thomas???

I watch that show, then go againist everything he says. He would rather have Decker instead of D Thomas???

i would rather have decker

Everyone was pimping Jared Cook last year too.

And Kendricks. :mad:

Ahhhh. You just take it for what its worth.

I realize that from mid-July until the end of FF playoffs I am an addict. Leading upto my last draft, I'm on the internet all the time. Checking news, injuries, ADP, ADP changes, mocks, blogs, message boreds & forarms, watching videos on YouTube on rookies, etc... I'd say I did @ least 50 mocks this week (10&12 teamers). I am addicted. Consumed with FF & winning.

I'd bet I'm not the only one on this bored.

With that being said, I also realize that I'm probably in the minority in society. Maybe not here at a FF website, but in general. My workplace is probably 80% male, but I'm the one they come to for FF advice & the questions I get sometimes are mindblowingly stupid (at least to me). They all are casual players. Guys that decide who they're going to draft because they think they remember Berry mentioning him on that one show or because they're next in line on the screen.

FF is an $800 million a year "hobby". So I know that there are more out there like me & it continues to grow. But shows like this aren't meant for guys like us. Do we still tune in? Obviously yes. Do we learn anything? Not really.

Personally, I'd bet a few of us could pair up for our own show & produce a better product.

Take it for what it is - dumbed down FF advice for the non-addicts. :lol: