Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Disgruntled drafter gone postal

So I was reading on fantasysharks that a new draft format is gaining steam. I have not heard of anyone actually using this instead of snake but was wondering what everyone thought?

Instead of 1-12, 12-1, 1-12, 12-1... The draft went 1-12, 12-1, 12-1, 1-12. I believe the first draft spot has a nice advantage over all other spots, but it seems that this format may swing the draft in even more favor of the last spot. Anyone agree? Disagree? Think it's ridiculous to even consider?

Yeah, I read about this as well. It's supposed to offset the value that the top picks get in by landing a "surefire" pick in the 1st round. I don't like it personally but it'd be interesting to see a mock draft done in this fashion to see the resulting teams.

Hypothetical 6 round snake draft from the 1 position:

Rice

Matthews

Marshall

Lloyd

Hernandez

Phillip Rivers

Hypothetical from the 12 position using the new order:

Graham

Lynch

Marshall

Bush

Bowe

Peyton Manning

I can never keep straight which method is banzai and which is third-round-reversal, but I've read about them for a while. Never done one. I'm not sure I could sell any of my leagues on it, either, because despite what the numbers say it's gives a bizarre impression.

So I was reading on fantasysharks that a new draft format is gaining steam. I have not heard of anyone actually using this instead of snake but was wondering what everyone thought?

Instead of 1-12, 12-1, 1-12, 12-1... The draft went 1-12, 12-1, 12-1, 1-12. I believe the first draft spot has a nice advantage over all other spots, but it seems that this format may swing the draft in even more favor of the last spot. Anyone agree? Disagree? Think it's ridiculous to even consider?

Someone out there must be reading my posts in our CBS league. Though I'm sure it was out there before, I came up with this as a solution for the significant advantage the higher picks have, with one tweak. The league voted against it.

Using the draft football calculators to determine the "value" difference between the top picks and bottom picks, I determined the fairest way to do the snake draft, rather than switching the draft order every 2 rounds (1-12, 12-1, 12-1, 1-12, 1-12, 12-1, 12-1, 1-12...) is to simply switch the draft order after round 2, because so much of the advantage comes in the first two rounds, that giving the later draft positions the advantage in all the other pairs of rounds getting the earlier picks in the rest of the odd rounds is still not enough to overcome the advantage high picks have over rounds 1 and 2.

This is also simpler than switching the order every other round because you only switch once.

I think it is a great idea.

Someone out there must be reading my posts in our CBS league. Though I'm sure it was out there before, I came up with this as a solution for the significant advantage the higher picks have, with one tweak. The league voted against it.

Using the draft football calculators to determine the "value" difference between the top picks and bottom picks, I determined the fairest way to do the snake draft, rather than switching the draft order every 2 rounds (1-12, 12-1, 12-1, 1-12, 1-12, 12-1, 12-1, 1-12...) is to simply switch the draft order after round 2, because so much of the advantage comes in the first two rounds, that giving the later draft positions the advantage in all the other pairs of rounds getting the earlier picks in the rest of the odd rounds is still not enough to overcome the advantage high picks have over rounds 1 and 2.

This is also simpler than switching the order every other round because you only switch once.

I agree. I just plugged the first 4 rounds into the Dodds calculator; The 1st pick has a 7% advantage with the traditional method, and a 5% advantage with proposed change in the OP. Your method would further lower that discrepancy, although I'm too lazy to plug all of those in. :cheers:

This sounds like a good idea. I doubt i will be able to sell my leagues on it though.

Yeah, but that is why it's so awesome to get a top pick and most of the fun!!!

Yeah but i always draft near the back. Picks 1-4 i have had once each. Last is around 14 times. I dont know how this is possible.

In a 14 team draft I am in, we go 1-14; 14-1; then 7-1, 14-8; 8-14, then 1-7. At round 5 it starts back at round 1's order. Not real sure how it works out, but I would appreciate anyone's input, as our draft is this Saturday. Which spot is best to draft from?

In a 14 team draft I am in, we go 1-14; 14-1; then 7-1, 14-8; 8-14, then 1-7. At round 5 it starts back at round 1's order. Not real sure how it works out, but I would appreciate anyone's input, as our draft is this Saturday. Which spot is best to draft from?

Can't even imagine trying to run a draft like that after everyone has had a few beers. I know I don't think I'd want to be #8 when you look at the overall picks that each spot gets in the first four rounds:

1 = 1, 28, 35, 50

7 = 7, 22, 29, 56

8 = 8, 21, 42, 43

14 = 14, 15, 36, 49

I'd prefer to have a long wait between rounds 3 and 4 like #7 rather than between rounds 2 and 3 like #8. My impression is that their seems to be a real dropoff in talent from round 3 to 4 usually and three picks in the first 30 for #7 seems most desirable.

I've been in a league with that format for several years with a few guys that frequent this place. The snake only reverses once. .5 ppr and more pts for longer tds.

1.11 Murray

2.2 Charles

3.2 Welker

4.11 Decker

5.2 DJax (also kr tds)

6.11 Peyton

7.2 Hillis

It's a fun league and the dudes know their stuff.

This from a CBS league automated draft for 10 teams. It is interesting because draft position is different every round with each team receiving the opportunity to draft first in a round at least once.

Draft Order for a 10 Team League

Rd 1 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10

Rd 2 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3

Rd 3 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6

Rd 4 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9

Rd 5 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2

Rd 6 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5

Rd 7 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8

Rd 8 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1

Rd 9 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4

Rd 10 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7

Rd 11 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10

Rd 12 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3

Rd 13 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6

Rd 14 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9

This from a CBS league automated draft for 10 teams. It is interesting because draft position is different every round with each team receiving the opportunity to draft first in a round at least once.

Draft Order for a 10 Team League

Rd 1 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10

Rd 2 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3

Rd 3 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6

Rd 4 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9

Rd 5 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2

Rd 6 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5

Rd 7 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8

Rd 8 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1

Rd 9 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4

Rd 10 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7

Rd 11 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10

Rd 12 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3

Rd 13 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6

Rd 14 Tm10 Tm1 Tm2 Tm3 Tm4 Tm5 Tm6 Tm7 Tm8 Tm9

Seems too complicated for me.. FF is not broken so I dont really see the need to make all these tweeks IMO :cheers:

I agree. I just plugged the first 4 rounds into the Dodds calculator; The 1st pick has a 7% advantage with the traditional method, and a 5% advantage with proposed change in the OP. Your method would further lower that discrepancy, although I'm too lazy to plug all of those in. :cheers:

This gets a lot of talk around draft time every season. Problem with using projections or assumption for the current season, is that you assume the perfect draft. #1 will take the top players, # 2 will take the next. When it is all said and done, there is no perfect draft. Someone will reach or there will be a run. The first player drafted is rarely the best player at the end of the season. The other assumption that is wack is that the person drafting number one wins a majority of the time. I have been in three leagues for the last ten years, and been in leagues for almost twenty now, and I can count on ONE hand how many times the person drafting number one wins it all.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think it varies year to year, which is why leagues shouldn't tinker with it, in my opinion.

Some years will have 3-6 surefire studs in the draft, with a bunch of question marks after that. Some years will have 10-15 reliable, #1 guys at the top of the draft before a steep fall off.

This year does seem to favor the top of the draft, but for 2 reasons that are specific to 2011-2012:

1. 2011 was the year of the QB. I sincerely doubt we see another handful of 5,000 yard & 40+ TD' passers.

2. All RB's after the first 3 have a ton of question marks. You could honestly take RB's #4-12 and put them in any order. CJ (which CJ do we get), McFadden (health issues), AP (ACL), Murray (health issues), Charles (ACL), Mathews (injury prone), Lynch (1-year wonder), etc.

You add all of that up, and you get 6 studs (Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Rice/McCoy/Foster) and a bunch of question marks.

The problem here is that the perceived "fairness" of any draft system can go up or down from year to year based on the depth of the top top tier of players. There have, of course, been years when there is a clear and obvious consensus league-winning No. 1 pick with a sharp fall-off in the value of the players that follow. There have also been years where decimal points separated the top five or six. Any player in this group was arguably just as good as another.

In the latter scenario, drafting from the six hole still likely gets you an elite first rounder with only a minimal second round "penalty." The first pick carries no substantial advantage and does little more than stick you with 2.12 and time to kill off the better part of a six pack watching the talent fly off the board while waiting for your name to be called again. Aside from getting an early buzz, your only real advantage comes with those back-to-back picks at 2.12 and 3.01. Reshuffle the draft order in the third round and even this little perk is wiped out.

Either a TRUE snake or an auction -- the only 2 draft styles.

If I was an owner with the 1.1 in a "snake" I would be irate too if some said they decided to make the last round pick first in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I think it varies year to year, which is why leagues shouldn't tinker with it, in my opinion. Some years will have 3-6 surefire studs in the draft, with a bunch of question marks after that. Some years will have 10-15 reliable, #1 guys at the top of the draft before a steep fall off.

Great minds apparently think alike. And at the exact same time.

Either a TRUE snake or an auction -- the only 2 draft styles.

If I was an owner with the 1.1 in a "snake" I would be irate too if some said they decided to make the last round pick first in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Why? Is it more fair that you would have the first pick in the 1st and 3rd rounds? :dunno: