Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Not sure if everyone feels this way but those are the last of the 'safe' QB 1s for me. I'm not really thrilled with any of them but I might take one late.

I've got them:

Rodgers/Brady/Brees

Stafford

Newton

Vick*

Ryan/Eli

Rivers/Peyton*/Romo

Romo has some line wr/te health concerns.

Rivers had the INT concerns and some similar RB/WR health concerns. Gates looks healthy but has a history of missed time as well.

Peyton is a wild card, in a new system, new receivers, out door games, ect....but I think he might have the highest upside.

Out of Rivers/Romo/Peyton who would you roll with as your QB 1?

(If you would wait that long)

1. Peyton Manning. Even if he stinks by his own standards, he'll still throw 4,000 yds and 25 tds. And that's failure. Imagine success...

2. Romo. Last years stats were very good. Much of same offense returns.

3. Rivers. I liked him last year, but not after losing his best receiver, losing Sproles and two big injuries waiting to happen in Gates and Mathews. San Diego is gonna disappoint this year.

Not sure if everyone feels this way but those are the last of the 'safe' QB 1s for me. I'm not really thrilled with any of them but I might take one late.

I've got them:

Rodgers/Brady/Brees

Stafford

Newton/Vick/Ryan

Rivers/Peyton/Romo

Rivers had the INT concerns and some similar RB/WR health concerns. Gates looks healthy but has a history of missed time as well.

Peyton is a wild card, in a new system, new receivers, out door games, ect....but I think he might have the highest upside.

Romo impressed me the other day throwing to the guys he had available the way he did. Harris looks like a possible 3rd WR candidate for the Cowboys and he has a TON of weapons if everybody gets healthy (Bryant, Austin, Harris, Witten and Murrary out of the backfield is as potent as any skill set in the league). Reports on Rivers haven't been good, and his WR core is bad after Gates, who has his own health issues. Manning is the wild card. He's held up pretty well and it looks like Decker is going to be a beast. From a weapons standpoint, I think it's Romo, Manning, Rivers, in that order. That's probably the order I would have them.

Since I drafted Romo, I'm hoping he will have a great year. Sounds like Austin and Bryant will be ready for the opener Just hope they can start playing all year instead of getting injured all the time. Romo will certainly throw a lot of deep balls to those guys if they are on the field.

I am really pondering this as i have been set on taking an elite qb in every draft until my draft tonight. In my league tonight is a 10 team ppr standard lineup. Qb get 6 pt per td but only 1 pt per 50 yards passing so it is close to a 4 pt per passing td league. I was thinking of going graham/julio with my first 2 picks. If i wait on a qb i do not want to wait too long. I would be happy with eli. If i dont get eli or ryan i am not sure which qb has the best upside.

Rivers just hasnt looked good and i think there is something wrong with him whether it be physical or mental.

Romo is a very good qb on a pass happy team but has a bad o line. Now if he can stay off the injury report all year i believe he will still put up very good numbers.

Peyton looks solid but you never know with the neck injury. I wanted to mock this out a bit but ffc is messed up whenever i go on.

I probably draft romo and try to get peyton in the next round if all 3 are available.

My QB rankings/tiers look like this...

Rodgers/Brady/Brees

Stafford

Ryan/Newton/Eli/Vick

Romo/Peyton/Rivers

In a 12 team league, I don't think you want to be the last guy to take a QB. Normally, I am that guy, but I am not thrilled with the QB's after this group as a QB1. Even some of the guys above scare me.

For this reason I grabbed Matt Ryan at 5.10 in my recent 12 team draft. There are several teams really hurting at QB. One team has Cutler/Palmer. One team has RG3/Flacco. One team actually has Luck/Bradford.

I think it's much easier to wait on QB a lot longer in 10 team leagues this season.

Thank you! I kept counting 10 qbs and I was like I know there are 11.

I've got Eli right next to Ryan.

I'm taking Ryan if he's there at a certain point....my backup plan is Eli, and Romo is the backup to my backup. If all 3 go I wait a round and take Rivers, or else Peyton....in that order. Or maybe the other way around. Or not.

Basically I'll be pleased if I end up with Ryan or Eli where I'm aiming.

I've got them:

Rodgers/Brady/Brees

Stafford

Newton/Vick/Ryan

Rivers/Peyton/Romo

1) Romo

2) Rivers

3) Manning

In my league, if Rivers cuts down on the INT's, he'd have been top 7-8 last year which is fine I guess.

I'm taking Ryan if he's there at a certain point....my backup plan is Eli, and Romo is the backup to my backup. If all 3 go I wait a round and take Rivers, or else Peyton....in that order. Or maybe the other way around. Or not.

Basically I'll be pleased if I end up with Ryan or Eli where I'm aiming.

I am thinking of going the Eli route. I am thinking the fifth round at 5.08 in a 10 teamer. Does he usually make it that far? I havent been paying attention since every draft I have drafted a QB in the first.

I think Rivers bounces back this year. You know he'll put up a crap ton of yards because that's what he does. Last year his TDs and completion % were down and INTs were up. I'm of the opinion that last year was an abberation.

Thankfully Gates looks healthy and if Gates is healthy their wideouts should be fine because Gates will draw the most attention. I'm worried about Mathews but I don't think he'll miss much time.

I feel Peyton is the most consistent of the three and would probably take him first for that reason.

I do not like to own QBs who are up and down. 30pts one week then 8 the next. That will lost you games and drive you crazy.

You're not getting the 2010 version of Peyton Manning you know. He's a major injury threat, he hasn't played in over a year and still isn't 100%, he's with a new team with a new offense, and he plays in Denver as opposed to a dome.

Without a doubt, Romo. Dallas will have the best offense out o those 3 teams, and pass-happy at that.

You're not getting the 2010 version of Peyton Manning you know. He's a major injury threat, he hasn't played in over a year and still isn't 100%, he's with a new team with a new offense, and he plays in Denver as opposed to a dome.

Stop.

He took as big a hit as he will all season against the 49ers. He completed a 38-yard pass down the right sideline (the side that people said he couldn't throw to).

He then bounced back up, finished 10-12, 120 yards and 2 TD's in one quarter of play, against the best defense in the league. I think he'll be fine.

Oh, and the game was played outside.

Stop.

He took as big a hit as he will all season against the 49ers. He completed a 38-yard pass down the right sideline (the side that people said he couldn't throw to).

He then bounced back up, finished 10-12, 120 yards and 2 TD's in one quarter of play, against the best defense in the league. I think he'll be fine.

Oh, and the game was played outside.

How many surgeries has he had since his last real game? How many more times will he be hit this year? How good is his OL? What are his Dome/outdoor career splits?

I was responding to this post...

I feel Peyton is the most consistent of the three and would probably take him first for that reason.

I do not like to own QBs who are up and down. 30pts one week then 8 the next. That will lost you games and drive you crazy.

We know very little about what Peyton will be like this year so assuming he's going to be consistently better than Romo and Rivers is far fetched.

The very fact that we are looking to a preseason quarter as confirmation that Peyton is going to be healthy and effective for an entire season just shows how much we don't know yet.

Do you guys think later ranked/picked ect QB play is going to be better or more competeive this year?

Last year Sanchez numbered out as the 10th best QB. No one felt good about him as their QB.

On paper Romo/Rivers/Peyton seem like better options.

Plus all the QB 2 candidates.

Do you guys think later ranked/picked ect QB play is going to be better or more competeive this year?

Last year Sanchez numbered out as the 10th best QB. No one felt good about him as their QB.

On paper Romo/Rivers/Peyton seem like better options.

Plus all the QB 2 candidates.

Great question Matt. My opinion is that even though the league is moving to a pass first option last year was an aberration. No training camp hurt the defenses more than the offenses imo. 10 QBs over 4K yards. 3 over 5K. 16 QBs with more than 500 passes attempted.

This year I see the QB list more like TEs - very top heavy. There are 3 or 4 'bankable' top options and then about 12 others that have a legit chance to play themselves into top 10 status. Of the three you mention I am feeling Rivers/Romo/Peyton.

Rivers is going to be the engine of the offense - much more so than Romo or Peyton, who have enough supporting pieces in place to be able to step back into more game-manager type roles (for a change). Rivers on the other hand is going to have throw more than ever, and SD is in a very different place than they were a year or two ago, coming off playoff pushes that fizzled with 'too much' talent not to get over the hump. That division has seen marked increase in talent and press coverage, so SD is flying under the radar at present with few expectations.

I think SD shocks a lot of people (like KC) and Rivers returns to normal stats; 4.3K/30/15. Both Romo and Peyton should put up roughly the same amount, but they're going a round (or two) before Rivers at present.

yes yes but im not interested in top ten talk when the difference between ten and four is +/-250 points.

who will be within a hundo of qb four?

Rivers is going to be the engine of the offense - much more so than Romo or Peyton, who have enough supporting pieces in place to be able to step back into more game-manager type roles (for a change). Rivers on the other hand is going to have throw more than ever, and SD is in a very different place than they were a year or two ago, coming off playoff pushes that fizzled with 'too much' talent not to get over the hump. That division has seen marked increase in talent and press coverage, so SD is flying under the radar at present with few expectations.

I think SD shocks a lot of people (like KC) and Rivers returns to normal stats; 4.3K/30/15. Both Romo and Peyton should put up roughly the same amount, but they're going a round (or two) before Rivers at present.

Do reports of a loss in velocity and Rivers still not looking right scare you a little? It does me. Just because Murray is a good RB, when healthy, I don't believe it means Dallas is going to run a more ball control offense. Not with the weapons they have....again, when healthy.

Rivers vs Romo is a tough one for me. They both have serious cons...Rivers with lost velocity, not much running game without Mathews, he hasn't been that good in over a year, and OL injuries? Romo's OL is a question for sure, he's been getting hurt the past couple years, and his weapons aren't 100%.

I took Romo over Rivers in a 12 team draft a couple weeks ago. I struggled with who to take. I went with Romo because he's been pretty good fantasy-wise for a few years now, and has great offensive weapons.

I know Vick wasn't considered in the OP but with the rib injury he's dropping in drafts I believe. He's among the names we're discussing now.

Anyone feeling frisky? Take a big upside guy at a value price? I'd consider it and may want to pair him with A Luck if that makes any sense.

peyton (its focking Peyton Manning, you really expect him not to find a way)

romo (lots of weapons)

rivers (may supprise me, but I'll let someone draft him)

Rivers is going to be the engine of the offense - much more so than Romo or Peyton, who have enough supporting pieces in place to be able to step back into more game-manager type roles (for a change).

i thought for a while before responding to this. i see your point re: romo, but i'm going to disagree. i don't see dallas trying to ride murray to the playoffs, and i think that romo will still be the engine of the offense. what i think it comes down to is how a defense keys on an offense, and in that vein, i actually see murray's production making romo more dangerous and more productive. in the battle of schemes and play-calling, i think it's going to be easier for defenses to attack rivers, and this makes a huge difference in production.

now, there's a point to be made about defensive improvements, but i think that will be less significant viz romo's production that a lot of people seem to think.

I understand people feeling risk with Peyton Manning, but I think his ADP is way off. Im amazed by the lack of faith out there in the hardest worker/preparer quite possibly in the history of the NFL. And call it what you want, 1 solid quarter of Pre-Season against my stout Niner D is no barometer, the shot he took isnt telling people enough, whatever. I know what I saw, and its all I needed to see.

He's gonna light it up. He'll be right behind or on par with the Rodgers/Brady/Brees/Staffords

Some great feedback in this thread - thanks guys.

Ultimately I see all three of these guys scoring within about 30-50 points of each other.

Yes, this was a good thread. It's definitely made me think twice about Peyton and where I want to consider him in my last draft.

I think Rivers is going to continue his decline slowly. He might now throw 20+ picks but he'll be in the high teens and maybe a lot less yards. I just don't think he is the same QB anymore. Maybe his throwing motion aged his QB years faster than a normal QB, IDK but I'd avoid him as a number 1 especially since their offense is run by Norv, and they can't stay healthy in recent memory.

Romo should have a solid year, 4000+ yards, 30 tds. That line looks a little iffy so he might be troublesome for owners with Questionable or Probably gametime status throughout the year.

Peyton has a brutal schedule, but it's always hard to look at SoS until the season actually is played as defenses change so much after a year. Still, I expect him to be decent and put up better numbers than Rivers. It's just a matter if you can trust him health wise. I think he's safe to play the entire the season personally, but worry that he'll be putting up below Peyton-like numbers to save his "rusty" arm. He hasn't played a real NFL game in awhile. I say Peyton has slightly better numbers than someone like Carson Palmer, maybe similar yards with more TDs and a lot less interceptions.

I do like Romo better of the three.