Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Is Tony Romo just that good?

With all of this talk of Oogie getting 2 tds and 114 yards I want to point some things out that may sway peoples minds a bit on the subject. Romo has a history of making the WR that no one knows about relevant. First it was Miles Austin. He came out of nowhere in 2009 to grab 1320 receiving yards and 11 TD. No one had really heard of him as he came from a small school and lingered a bit on the team having a minimal impact. 2009 hits and he becomes Romo's favorite target.

2010 Romo was injured for the majority of the season.

2011 Romo is back and healthy (for most of the season) and develops chemistry with another lesser known WR, Laurent Robinson. In 14 games he had 858 receiving yards and 11 TD. No one saw this coming either as everyone expected Dez to finally break out and Austin to return to 2009 form. Now Austin missed time due to his hamstring injuries forcing Romo to find another target he could trust.

2012 Romo is again healthy and Austin is struggling with hamstring issues again. He played in the game but did not look explosive. Romo needs to find targets he trusts that are not being double teamed like I saw Dez being double teamed for much of the game. In comes Ogletree grabbing 2 TD for 114 yards.

Is Romo just that good at reading defenses and recognizing which WR will have the softest coverage. Ogletree will be facing the 3rd 4th and 5th cover options on teams all year. If Austin can stay on the field along with Dez Ogletree should line up in the slot often. I am not predicting numbers like Robinson but Oogie is definitely worth a roster spot. I would not be so quick to dismiss him from having a good year. Romo may be a smarter QB than we are giving him credit for. I only saw the first half of the game but he was hitting Ogletree right where the ball needed to be. Romo is a very good QB and if their O line can block better than we expected the entire offense could be in for a very good year. Romo is only a few years removed from 36 TD after all.

It's not like the Boys were facing some schmuck D line, this was the Giants. The best pass rush defensive line in the league.

He is a smart crafty QB to be sure. I love the way he will spin out of trouble as the play breaks down, then he goes backyard and free lances for big plays. Really he is a great QB but until he makes some noise in the playoffs he will be considered a 2nd rate player by the media and others.

If the O-line holds up, Romo is a good bet for 30-35 TDs. He's an elite QB on an elite offense. He's usually a favorite target of mine in drafts because you can get top 5 potential at a mid-round price. Got scared off by the O-line....which still might be an issue throughout the year.

Having Murray is gonna keep defenses honest though, and the 'Boys defense isn't gonna allow too many shootouts. You can't read too much into one game, but I was really impressed with what I saw from Dallas in all phases of the game Wednesday. I think next week's game @ SEA will be a good litmus test for the Cowboys. Tough environment. Underrated opponent.....but a team they should beat. Let's see if they don't revert to the Cowboys of old. :dunno:

Romo is a very talented qb who at times, makes stupid mistakes. But Romo isn't Jeff George, this guy atually has football intelligence - most of his bad times have come as a result of trying to do too much with so little. Romo has never been blessed with an elite offenisive line. Hell, Romo has never even had a half ass decent line. Most of the time he has spent on the move running for his life - rarely does he get to just sit back in the pocket, look down field, and find a target. Brady, Manning - these are HOF's who have had that luxury, had they been behind this crap their slow moving asses would have gotten killed. Tell you another thing Romo has never had, he's never had a defense the likes of what Big Ben or Eli has had - Romo has been put in spots where he has to score 30 to have a chance.

For the first time in maybe his history here Romo has and stud rb and a pretty salty defense - the line still sux but just maybe it will be enough to give him a chance to make a run at a post season spot - we'll see.

Romo Rocks! :headbanger:

I've been a Cowboy fan since the Craig Morton era, and for me Tony ranks right behind Roger Staubach and in front of Troy Aikman.

Sure he doesn't have the success those 2 have so far, but he's every bit as good. I believe that all people have their own path and I have faith this talented hard working QB will eventually reach the top.

whoa now, lets not get out of hand here..

I propose the opposite. I like getting out of hand every once in a while. Wait for it..........

GOAT

I've been a Cowboy fan since the Craig Morton era, and for me Tony ranks right behind Roger Staubach and in front of Troy Aikman.

Sure he doesn't have the success those 2 have so far, but he's every bit as good. I believe that all people have their own path and I have faith this talented hard working QB will eventually reach the top.

Jessica Simpson has moved on. He hit his peak :banana:

He is my 2nd favorite Cowboy QB right behind Danny White. Sure he hasn't had the success White has so far, but he's every bit as good

He is my 2nd favorite Cowboy QB right behind Danny White. Sure he hasn't had the success White has so far, but he's every bit as good

Says a lot about you.

Before you get too excited about Romo's performance in week 1, let's remember that the Giants were down to their 4th string cornerback. I think that Donovan McNabb could have thrown a TD pass against Justin Tryon. I'm not saying Romo won't have his typical solid year fantasy-wise. I'm just saying don't expect 300 Yards and 3 TDs against the league's better defenses.

I'm just saying don't expect 300 Yards and 3 TDs against the league's better defenses.

Like a defense with a really good pass rush? I will make sure I don't expect him to throw for 307 yards 3 TD of 10, 40, 34 yards with 12 yards rushing.

Like a defense with a really good pass rush? I will make sure I don't expect him to throw for 307 yards 3 TD of 10, 40, 34 yards with 12 yards rushing.

O.K. I'll rephrase that. Don't expect him to put up big numbers against good defenses "that don't have decimated secondaries". Yes, the Giants have one of the best pass rushes but they won't win without at least average cover guys. That being said, looking at Romo's schedule, I don't think he's going to face too many good D's this year.

Before you get too excited about Romo's performance in week 1, let's remember that the Giants were down to their 4th string cornerback. I think that Donovan McNabb could have thrown a TD pass against Justin Tryon. I'm not saying Romo won't have his typical solid year fantasy-wise. I'm just saying don't expect 300 Yards and 3 TDs against the league's better defenses.

The Giants are reining SB Champions, so it's a good bet to say they were really good last year, no?

In Romo's two 2011 games against NY last year he went for: 610 yards, 74% completion percentage, 6 td's, 1 int., and a 124.0 qb rating. Think it's safe to safe Romo tears up the Giants with 4th string cbs and 1st string qbs - makes no difference.

By years end this will be an average game for Tony. :banana:

True the Giants secondary was under the weather, but consider the below average Dallas O-Line against one of the leagues best D's. Romo EARNED every bit of success he had that game.

Dallas has balance, and WEAPONS out the wazoo! I'll bet they're top 5 in the league on offense this year, and Romo as well.

I've been following this site for years but finally got around to registering (and getting approved!). Mostly I used the SoS tool to play matchups, but I did read a lot of the articles and would read threads on the forums occasionally, although more recently.

I only mention that because it's obviously my first post and I figured I'd get a lot of "who is this dumbass?" posts.

My analysis on Romo was that he has a very quick release, is extremely athletic, makes great reads/audibles and can go through his progressions very quickly. Additionally he can seemingly perform with any WRs with no "chemistry" issues you see from the weaker QBs in the league.

The knock I have on him is average at best arm strength, durability issues, and a gunslinger mentality that can lead to mistakes. Because of the team he plays for, he also has increased media scrutiny which may or may not be a knock on him. Since this is purely for fantasy, I don't care at all about the occasional INT that docks me -1 or -2 pts, although the durability is still an issue.

With arm strength it's only an issue late in the year, and it's really not too bad so far in his career.

I had him projected from 5-7 in Fantasy QB performance this year. I believe he does have top 3 potential if things go right and he stays healthy all year, but QB#5-7 is a very safe range for him because barring injury he's pretty much a lock for ~4400 yards and 30 TDs. In drafts this year he has however been falling to rounds 5-7 on average it seems, because media hype has been knocking him down. We are fantasy players, we don't care about media hype, so this is a case of a player being undervalued. FFT has him listed as the 9th QB off the board on ADP in the 6th round.

Obviously we don't know what will happen, but shoring up the rest of your team and then grabbing Romo in the 5th/6th should make you very competitive in our virtual game. Of course everyone has already drafted so that doesn't matter as much.

We don't want to overreact but Romo imo is certainly capable of a top 3 finish this year, and yes I know that means he would have to beat out one of Rodgers, Brady or Brees to do so, hence why I usually say top 5 for him. With an improved defense however taking some pressure off of Romo and the fact that the Cowboys just can't run the ball at the goal line it seems, Romo could be in line for 40+ TDs and about 4800 yards.

Good luck to everyone and don't tear into my first post too badly :/ Glad to be here!

I've been following this site for years but finally got around to registering (and getting approved!). Mostly I used the SoS tool to play matchups, but I did read a lot of the articles and would read threads on the forums occasionally, although more recently.

I only mention that because it's obviously my first post and I figured I'd get a lot of "who is this dumbass?" posts.

My analysis on Romo was that he has a very quick release, is extremely athletic, makes great reads/audibles and can go through his progressions very quickly. Additionally he can seemingly perform with any WRs with no "chemistry" issues you see from the weaker QBs in the league.

The knock I have on him is average at best arm strength, durability issues, and a gunslinger mentality that can lead to mistakes. Because of the team he plays for, he also has increased media scrutiny which may or may not be a knock on him. Since this is purely for fantasy, I don't care at all about the occasional INT that docks me -1 or -2 pts, although the durability is still an issue.

With arm strength it's only an issue late in the year, and it's really not too bad so far in his career.

I had him projected from 5-7 in Fantasy QB performance this year. I believe he does have top 3 potential if things go right and he stays healthy all year, but QB#5-7 is a very safe range for him because barring injury he's pretty much a lock for ~4400 yards and 30 TDs. In drafts this year he has however been falling to rounds 5-7 on average it seems, because media hype has been knocking him down. We are fantasy players, we don't care about media hype, so this is a case of a player being undervalued. FFT has him listed as the 9th QB off the board on ADP in the 6th round.

Obviously we don't know what will happen, but shoring up the rest of your team and then grabbing Romo in the 5th/6th should make you very competitive in our virtual game. Of course everyone has already drafted so that doesn't matter as much.

We don't want to overreact but Romo imo is certainly capable of a top 3 finish this year, and yes I know that means he would have to beat out one of Rodgers, Brady or Brees to do so, hence why I usually say top 5 for him. With an improved defense however taking some pressure off of Romo and the fact that the Cowboys just can't run the ball at the goal line it seems, Romo could be in line for 40+ TDs and about 4800 yards.

Good luck to everyone and don't tear into my first post too badly :/ Glad to be here!

Wow......you've certainly arrived. :thumbsup:

Good post.

His durability issues center on his O-line. He's no Vick in that his injuries are the product of someone else screwing up. Whereas Vick gets hurt because of Michael Vick.

And looking at Dallas' schedule....from weeks 10-15, they face 5 of the top 12 passing defenses from 2011 (PHIx2/CLE/WAS/CIN/PIT). Throw in BAL week 6, and 40% of the fantasy season your QB is facing above average secondaries. I think he's good enough to post decent numbers most of those weeks. But 300 and 3 is gonna be a stat line for the first half of the season more so than the second. :dunno:

Welcome aboard and with that said, I disagree on Romo's finish. If he can stay healthy I "MIGHT" agree with you but behind that O-Line, he's going to get killed. The Giants were off their game on Wednesday but as the season goes on, that Dallas O-Line will be wearing down where Romo will be running for his life. Another thing to factor is will Dez and Miles be healthy the entire season? Will Murray last the season running the ball the way he does? I just don't see this team being healthy, I might be wrong, but i just don't see it........

...NOW, if they ALL do stay healthy and that O-Line can give Romo that extra second to throw, it's going to be fun watching these Boys go up and the down the field every Sunday!!

Welcome :doublethumbsup:

Who is this dumbass?

No im playing homie. Had to say it. Welcome. I kind of wish my first post was as well thought out. Thank god yours wasnt a rate my team thread. I dont see him finishing top 3 but 5 is definitely attainable.

Romo has never had a problem with occasionally looking great. In a snapshot he's one of the best in the league. His problem has always been with consistency and clutch.

Romo has never had a problem with occasionally looking great. In a snapshot he's one of the best in the league. His problem has always been with consistency and clutch.

This^^^^

I'm a noted cowboys anti-fan (not a Cowboys hater, although my dislike for their fans is pretty high on the scale). For the last several years I've thought of the Cowboys as nothing more than hyped up media contenders. Their problem hasn't been on the offensive side of the ball, it's their defense. Romo is not the kind of QB's who's going to stare down a deficit late and not make a mistake. Beyond that, he's a really good QB. This year is different. The area of weakness they had in the secondary that put the pressure on Romo to perform perfectly down the stretch is gone. The corner combo of Carr and Claiborne is the real deal. You've taken a guy who was their most consistent corner last year in Scandrick and made him the #3 guy, which means they have depth. Scandrick can't cover a top WR one-on-one, but against the 3rd WR on someones roster....advantage Cowboys. Sean Lee is a tacklin sumbiotch in the middle. Add in the improved running game with Murray and you've got the perfect scenario for Romo to work. As long as they stay healthy he's going to be a top QB this year. As much as I dislike them, I can't deny that they are about to peak.

That being said, looking at Romo's schedule, I don't think he's going to face too many good D's this year.

you mean other than PIT (2011 #1 defense), BAL (#3), CIN (#7), PHI (#8), SEA (#9), CLE (#10), ATL (#12), and WAS (#13)?

i guess you mean other than those 9 games...

:wacko:

I'm a noted cowboys anti-fan (not a Cowboys hater, although my dislike for their fans is pretty high on the scale). For the last several years I've thought of the Cowboys as nothing more than hyped up media contenders. Their problem hasn't been on the offensive side of the ball, it's their defense. Romo is not the kind of QB's who's going to stare down a deficit late and not make a mistake. Beyond that, he's a really good QB. This year is different. The area of weakness they had in the secondary that put the pressure on Romo to perform perfectly down the stretch is gone. The corner combo of Carr and Claiborne is the real deal. You've taken a guy who was their most consistent corner last year in Scandrick and made him the #3 guy, which means they have depth. Scandrick can't cover a top WR one-on-one, but against the 3rd WR on someones roster....advantage Cowboys. Sean Lee is a tacklin sumbiotch in the middle. Add in the improved running game with Murray and you've got the perfect scenario for Romo to work. As long as they stay healthy he's going to be a top QB this year. As much as I dislike them, I can't deny that they are about to peak.

Well said. Cowboys Def has been horrible and looks to be much improved.. Romo isn't an elite QB but he is easily a franchise QB. There are about 10 NFL teams that would turn him down as a starter if he were let go from the Cowboys today while the rest would be fighting to sign him. If he weren't in the limelight and playing for the Cowboys his perception would be vastly different. What I can't comprehend is how a guy like Tebow gets praised for his play when he absolutely SUCKS and you have a guy like Romo who gets butchered. The dude can play and his stats are actually better than E Manning who people now consider and elite QB. I realize Eli has two superbowls but Romo could have easily led those Giants teams to a superbowl.. Romo has easily kept the Cowboys in more games than they should have been contending in during his tenure as the Cowboys QB. The guy worst yr in terms of INTS was 19 and he threw 36 Tds. He's always hovering around 4000 yards passing. If the Cowboys had a different owner or Jones would adjust his ego the Cowboys wouldn't have the issues they've had over the last decade.

Romo is actually pretty consistent. You can usually count on him to have good to really good games in stetches of the season. He's played well in November and started to play well in December. He puts up decent numbers as well early.

His bad games, just tend to be really bad and stick out because they're in big moments. But he's also succeeded in plenty of big moments as well.

He's done well without a good run game or a good defense...but if he has these 2 things throughout the season, then he'll be putting up pretty solid numbers throughout. You know he'll have it tough though against either Balti or Pitts. He'll probably light up NY and Phil and then have a bad game against Wash lol.

But every season you can count on him to play pretty darn well, overall.

More than just occasionally, and some of those famous "botches" aren't his fault, though he sure has paid for them.

With all of this talk of Oogie getting 2 tds and 114 yards I want to point some things out that may sway peoples minds a bit on the subject. Romo has a history of making the WR that no one knows about relevant. First it was Miles Austin. He came out of nowhere in 2009 to grab 1320 receiving yards and 11 TD. No one had really heard of him as he came from a small school and lingered a bit on the team having a minimal impact. 2009 hits and he becomes Romo's favorite target.

2010 Romo was injured for the majority of the season.

2011 Romo is back and healthy (for most of the season) and develops chemistry with another lesser known WR, Laurent Robinson. In 14 games he had 858 receiving yards and 11 TD. No one saw this coming either as everyone expected Dez to finally break out and Austin to return to 2009 form. Now Austin missed time due to his hamstring injuries forcing Romo to find another target he could trust.

2012 Romo is again healthy and Austin is struggling with hamstring issues again. He played in the game but did not look explosive. Romo needs to find targets he trusts that are not being double teamed like I saw Dez being double teamed for much of the game. In comes Ogletree grabbing 2 TD for 114 yards.

Is Romo just that good at reading defenses and recognizing which WR will have the softest coverage. Ogletree will be facing the 3rd 4th and 5th cover options on teams all year. If Austin can stay on the field along with Dez Ogletree should line up in the slot often. I am not predicting numbers like Robinson but Oogie is definitely worth a roster spot. I would not be so quick to dismiss him from having a good year. Romo may be a smarter QB than we are giving him credit for. I only saw the first half of the game but he was hitting Ogletree right where the ball needed to be. Romo is a very good QB and if their O line can block better than we expected the entire offense could be in for a very good year. Romo is only a few years removed from 36 TD after all.

It's not like the Boys were facing some schmuck D line, this was the Giants. The best pass rush defensive line in the league.

Great post. I know you said 2011 "healthy (most of season)". I think that is a huge statement. He didn't miss much time but we can't underestimate playing with broken ribs and having that crappy o-line and without murray not much running help.

Romo is a very talented qb who at times, makes stupid mistakes. But Romo isn't Jeff George, this guy atually has football intelligence - most of his bad times have come as a result of trying to do too much with so little. Romo has never been blessed with an elite offenisive line. Hell, Romo has never even had a half ass decent line. Most of the time he has spent on the move running for his life - rarely does he get to just sit back in the pocket, look down field, and find a target. Brady, Manning - these are HOF's who have had that luxury, had they been behind this crap their slow moving asses would have gotten killed. Tell you another thing Romo has never had, he's never had a defense the likes of what Big Ben or Eli has had - Romo has been put in spots where he has to score 30 to have a chance.

For the first time in maybe his history here Romo has and stud rb and a pretty salty defense - the line still sux but just maybe it will be enough to give him a chance to make a run at a post season spot - we'll see.

O-line has been a huge factor over Romo's career. I am a big Cowboys fan and the game I saw Wednesday night is the same type of game I am used to seeing from Romo. He scrambles, improvises, makes plays, makes good adjustments at the line to get the matchups, and because of his effort to try to do to much at times makes mistakes (int, delay of game). If you look at his stats they are comparable to the elite qbs. He got help from his defense and a little help from the running game on Wednesday. Stats are much the same as his games last year against the Giants.

With his performance being consistent with last year the only difference is last year not much help from the rest of his team and media crushes him cause he can't win the big game and this year he gets help and media talks about how fantastic Romo played.

...Is Romo just that good...

yes.

Giants have cluster injuries at CB. Their #2 CB is on IR, their #3 CB was out with high ankle sprain, their #4 CB left the game in the first half and their slot CB is a rookie who missed the final two weeks of the preseason and just returning from injury. After Coe went out Tyron was their #2 and he doesn't belong in the league. On the one TD, Ogletree gets the credit as he burned Webster with a move and Safety was way late. Giants CBs played way off and were weak against the slant.

Romo had a very good game and is a very good QB, but I would not get crazy here. That secondary was decimated and Dallas just had to call plays where the ball was out quickly.

Note the offense also really picked up after the Coe injury. They didn't come out hot and were clearly better after the Giants D suffered another injury to the one place they could not afford it. DT is another spot they have a lot of guys injured (the 3rd guy in the rotation is a late draft pick rookie) and you could tell they were wearing down at the end.

Giants have cluster injuries at CB. Their #2 CB is on IR, their #3 CB was out with high ankle sprain, their #4 CB left the game in the first half and their slot CB is a rookie who missed the final two weeks of the preseason and just returning from injury. After Coe went out Tyron was their #2 and he doesn't belong in the league. On the one TD, Ogletree gets the credit as he burned Webster with a move and Safety was way late. Giants CBs played way off and were weak against the slant.

Romo had a very good game and is a very good QB, but I would not get crazy here. That secondary was decimated and Dallas just had to call plays where the ball was out quickly.

Well he makes no bodys into goos wr. He has to get the credit for that. I never said he was the best in the league or anything but he deserves a ton of credit for finding the wr that has weak coverage while putting the ball where it needs to be.

Dont buy into the "decimated Giant secondary" narrative.

Any injuries in the Giants defense were more than compensated by the state of the Dallas offensive line. All five positions were manned by new players. The starting center went out with an injury on the third play. The backup center that came in had been with the team for less than a week. Both guards are new and had been out with injuries all summer. Oh and Witten, the teams leading receiver, was "playing" with a lacerated spleen and was a non factor. Heck, Dallas had a pro bowl CB out with injury along with two safeties and their pro bowl nose tackle. Yes NY had injuries, but so does everyone, and NY is still a very good defense. Their front line is as strong as anyones.

The problem with Dallas for the last few years has been their defense and lack of running game, not Romo. With the upgraded pass defense, you will see the Cowboys winning those 3-5 games a year they have been losing by blowing leads late in the game and now the pundits will talk about how great Romo is, how he "matured" or whatever, when all along he has been just as good and the improvement is the defense (and Murray).

and now the pundits will talk about how great Romo is, how he "matured" or whatever, when all along he has been just as good and the improvement is the defense (and Murray).

Yes they will and many will lap it up because they just take the "experts" word for it. Then you will hear some schmuck on the job say "Romo finally matured this year and became a good QB." You nailed it dude. A 31 year old QB just finally all of a sudden matured over night.

Well he makes no bodys into goos wr. He has to get the credit for that.

The nobody looked good because he was facing even bigger nobodies in the Giants corners and the Giants had to put their attention on the better receivers. That's why he got so may looks -he was a matchup advantage, and won't be in most weeks. If you are expecting Olgletree to be a good fantasy option this year because of Romo -good luck with that. Ogletree at least belongs in the league -some of the Giants corners don't.