Sign in to follow this  
pathman

Adrian Peterson

I feel that AP will again be dominate this year. I'm seeing all this stuff about waiting until the 3rd round to draft AP. I see guys like M. Lynch and T. Richardson, S. Jackson, and R. Matthews being drafted ahead of AP? Are you serious... This guy should be drafted in at least the 2nd round if not the 1st.

I feel that AP will again be dominate this year. I'm seeing all this stuff about waiting until the 3rd round to draft AP. I see guys like M. Lynch and T. Richardson, S. Jackson, and R. Matthews being drafted ahead of AP? Are you serious... This guy should be drafted in at least the 2nd round if not the 1st.

The reason you saw those guys go ahead of Peterson is because his leg turned into jello last December. Don't thump your chest too hard since he's going to have to beat all the odds to become what he once was ever again.

I have/started D. Murray - but need to pick between Petterson, MJD, B. Wells, and S. Greene this weekend. I want to go with AP, but I'm am heisitant.

Perhaps if he had two healthy legs... His chances to struggle from not being 100% are much greater... His chances for injury both to the same leg or other compensation injuries which are common are much higher...

If you knew he was only going to play 12 games this year where would you draft him?

I'm hoping AP does well this year.

I don't know that this is factual, but is it my perception that the sports medicine community has made a lot of progress with ACLs and knee/ligament injuries. It seems that recently we're seeing more athletes come back faster and better than ever expected from these types of injuries. I don't have a list, but Wes Welker comes to mind immediately - I'm sure there are more examples.

If AP can/does come back and perform well this year ((90% or better of old AP), this high profile injury may be the one that changes the perception of ACLs as a virtual "death sentence" for athletes that require mobility, acceleration, cutting, turning.

:dunno:

Cruzer...that's a tough one. I don't know. If it's me making that decision I would go with AP. If not AP...I would choose B. Wells

DankNuggs - If AP plays 12 games I would put him at 1000/12

Cruzer...that's a tough one. I don't know. If it's me making that decision I would go with AP. If not AP...I would choose B. Wells

DankNuggs - If AP plays 12 games I would put him at 1000/12

That puts him in RB2 territory... TDs are pretty fickle. Seems reasonable he'd be going in the 2nd round...

That puts him in RB2 territory... TDs are pretty fickle. Seems reasonable he'd be going in the 2nd round...

If he only plays 12 games. Then that also gives you 4 games with your third RB. The point is that ( my opinion ) AP is going to produce more when he plays then these other RB's that are going ahead of him in this draft.

He's going to play but I doubt he gets the kind of workload we're used to. And I say that because of the injury, but also because it's in their best interest to keep his carries down as he ages. They now have a back in Gerhart who can share the load.

I don't know that this is factual, but is it my perception that the sports medicine community has made a lot of progress with ACLs and knee/ligament injuries. It seems that recently we're seeing more athletes come back faster and better than ever expected from these types of injuries. I don't have a list, but Wes Welker comes to mind immediately - I'm sure there are more examples.

If AP can/does come back and perform well this year ((90% or better of old AP), this high profile injury may be the one that changes the perception of ACLs as a virtual "death sentence" for athletes that require mobility, acceleration, cutting, turning.

I was under the impression that we were already past thinking an ACL tear was a death sentence. :dunno:

I was under the impression that we were already past thinking an ACL tear was a death sentence. :dunno:

maybe.

there's still a lot of talk that Adrian Peterson will never be the same.

there was talke that Welker would never be able to work the middle and cut, duck, dodge with the same quick elusiveness.

maybe death sentence isn't the right phrase - but using this thread as example 1A, there still a lot of concern that an athlete will never be the same after an ACL. I'm just wonder if this is true anymore.

My only worry is that he doesn't get 15+ carries until week 4. If you have attractive short term guys like Kevin Smith it's an easier risk to take.

maybe.

there's still a lot of talk that Adrian Peterson will never be the same.

there was talke that Welker would never be able to work the middle and cut, duck, dodge with the same quick elusiveness.

maybe death sentence isn't the right phrase - but using this thread as example 1A, there still a lot of concern that an athlete will never be the same after an ACL. I'm just wonder if this is true anymore.

I am sure it will be true for a few guys, but most will recover fully.

there is no way hes a top 5 back this year, especially in my ppr leagues, hes already lost all 3rd downs and Gerhart has become part of that offense whether the AP lovers want to believe so or not. People tend to think that the ACL was his only issue last year. He tore that in week 16, and he had already missed 3 games. Even when playing he produced only 17.2 ppg, good for 10th in the league, a 2nd round RB number. People talk about Mathews being injury prone, but AP has missed more games over the last 2 years, then Mathews. And will more then likely not play a full season this year.

Gimme the guy coming off a shoulder injury, who still put up top 6 RB nos over a guy coming off a major knee injury who barely finished top 15 overall

there is no way hes a top 5 back this year, especially in my ppr leagues, hes already lost all 3rd downs and Gerhart has become part of that offense whether the AP lovers want to believe so or not. People tend to think that the ACL was his only issue last year. He tore that in week 16, and he had already missed 3 games. Even when playing he produced only 17.2 ppg, good for 10th in the league, a 2nd round RB number. People talk about Mathews being injury prone, but AP has missed more games over the last 2 years, then Mathews. And will more then likely not play a full season this year.

Gimme the guy coming off a shoulder injury, who still put up top 6 RB nos over a guy coming off a major knee injury who barely finished top 15 overall

Where is this coming from? I haven't heard anyone talk about him being top 5. And in each of my drafts he was late 2nd/early 3rd. That is not top 5 territory. For him to be a good pick he needs to be a solid RB2, so top 20. Assuming a slow start I definitely think top 20 can happen.

He is young and strong.. He will be back to his good ole self. IF he doesnt force it. He will be a top 5 back this year

Where is this coming from? I haven't heard anyone talk about him being top 5. And in each of my drafts he was late 2nd/early 3rd. That is not top 5 territory. For him to be a good pick he needs to be a solid RB2, so top 20. Assuming a slow start I definitely think top 20 can happen.

was right here, not anywhere official or anything was just responding to some of the absurd claims in this thread

I highly doubt that Matthews is going to outproduce AP this year. Matthews isn't even playing week 1.

For the people reading this post. If you were having your draft today....and you had to pick between Ryan Matthews or Adrian Peterson. Who would you pick?

I highly doubt that Matthews is going to outproduce AP this year. Matthews isn't even playing week 1.

For the people reading this post. If you were having your draft today....and you had to pick between Ryan Matthews or Adrian Peterson. Who would you pick?

Mathews EZ, AP probably wont play this week either, and his knee could give him trouble for the whole season, while Mathews shoulder once healed will have no risidual effects

He blew the entire knee in the last game of the year.

DND.

He went in the second round to a Viking fan in my league.

Not only is that team not good enough this year. They aren't good enough to help AP if he never hurt his knee.

But good luck.

Bo Jackson. Baddest dude of all time in Tecmo Bowl football. 2 years later, Tecmo 2, aka Super Tecmo Bowl ... there's still Lawrence Taylor, there's still Barry Sanders, there's still Thurman Thomas .... but there is no Bo Jackson. Just an old, slow, Marcus Allen instead.

Sometimes, an injury, is the final injury. Sometimes, a total stud player, is just never the same.

I kept him in a 1 keeper optional league sacrificing my 1st round pick and had to make this decision back in May.

He could be just as good as he ever was. Everyones #1 pick next year. Could be the best value you can find at RB this year. I'm not saying that isn't possible ... I'm just saying that injuries take a toll. Usually.

Mathews EZ, AP probably wont play this week either, and his knee could give him trouble for the whole season, while Mathews shoulder once healed will have no risidual effects

Matthews shoulder may be healed will have no residual effects but his first game back his new injury will bother him for a while.

I had the 1pick and took rice.. Took mathews in the 2nd and Peterson in the fourth.. I think mathews will out produce Peterson, but the potential out of the 4th pick is great. Of course my lineup sucks this week.

I had the 1pick and took rice.. Took mathews in the 2nd and Peterson in the fourth.. I think mathews will out produce Peterson, but the potential out of the 4th pick is great. Of course my lineup sucks this week.

Took mcfadden in the 1st, peterson 2nd. Gambling on a great duo

I had keepers of Rice (cost my 1st rd), Mathews (cost 4rd), and selected Peterson with my second rd pick. I know I am taking risks but I see a very high ceiling with these guys too. I also picked up Turner later as a "safe" pick and K. Smith to fill some early season holes.

I see AP as a fantasy bench warmer for the first 4 weeks of the season because the Vikings will play it safe with him. Not necessarily because he needs it but because he is their meal ticket and they know it. Beyond that, I'm very bullish on Peterson this year. Somewhere in the area of 1200 yards with double digit TDs and another 200-300 yards receiving would not surprise me. I know that's a very aggressive prediction but it's what I think will happen. As has been stated, ACL injuries are not the kiss of death they used to be and Peterson is the kind of pure athlete/workhorse I can easily see bouncing right back with almost 0 ill effects a la Wes Welker.

I have him in 2 leagues - one league I picked up Kevin Smith to help me through the first few weeks (I also have Stevan Ridley on that team) and the other league he's actually my RB3/FLEX option thanks to a ridiculous early run on QBs and WRs that allowed me to grab Ray Rice AND Matt Forte.

FWIW. CBSSports:

Adrian Peterson, RB, MIN

News: CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported Saturday night that according to a team source the Vikings are aiming for 10 to 15 carries for running back Adrian Peterson, assuming he is activated Sunday for the team's opener against the Jaguars. Peterson, who tore his left ACL and MCL just over eight months ago, will test the knee prior to kickoff and if the coaches are comfortable with how he looks, they'll use him. Earlier this week coach Leslie Frazier expressed interest in keeping Peterson to "limited exposure" as he has yet to be tackled in practice much less a game against another team. If activated, Peterson would split reps with Toby Gerhart, who worked as the starter throughout the preseason.

Analysis: With just three active running backs on the roster (four if you count fullbacks), it appears the Vikings are comfortable activating Peterson. Fantasy owners shouldn't feel as good. Remember, the Vikings know Peterson needs reps to get his feel back for the game after not practicing in training camp or playing in a preseason game. We might be a couple of weeks away from seeing Peterson get the workload we're used to him getting. We'd recommend a cautious approach and think of Peterson as a desperation starter for this week. Since we don't know how much work he'll get -- if any -- you're better off playing it safe and leaving him on your bench. We'll be first to know whether or not he'll be active this Sunday on Fantasy Football Today, 11 a.m. ET here on CBSSports.com and CBS Sports Network (check local listings).

In 6 games as the lead back last year Gerhardt put up around 550 yards and scored 4 times. I'll gladly stash that kind of potential on my bench for a few weeks.

In 6 games as the lead back last year Gerhardt put up around 550 yards and scored 4 times. I'll gladly stash that kind of potential on my bench for a few weeks.

Do you go with gerhart this week? I need to make that decision before noon.

Do you go with gerhart this week? I need to make that decision before noon.

I was hoping AP would be inactive so i could comfortably start Gerhart. :wall: Week one and already have to make tough decisions.

I was hoping AP would be inactive so i could comfortably start Gerhart. :wall: Week one and already have to make tough decisions.

That's why im benching them both and giving it a wait and see approach.

That's why im benching them both and giving it a wait and see approach.

Im starting AP over Gerhart in one league and now gonna have to start MJD in place of Gerhart in another :( Guess the rest of my team will have to carry the load this week.

And now there's a thread on page 1 of fftoday claiming , ACLs are no longer a Do Not Draft" which was exactly my point here. Call it death sentence or DND or whatever - ACLs are no longer that scary.

Welker

AP

J Charles

and reports are out that Logan Mankins played the entire 2011 season w a torn ACL.