Sign in to follow this  
Gratefulegg1973

Randall Cobb

Slot machine, pick him up

He should have been drafted. Yes, pick him up.

:thumbsup: Should have been drafted. Got a ton of sleeper hype and we're seeing why.

Nevermind, now James Jones is the man. I'm sure next drive they'll get Antonio Freeman some balls. Have a feeling none of these WRs will have much value. Glad I spent a high pick on Jennings.

I drafted him in a bunch of leagues but have since dropped him for A. Morris and K/Ds.

Based on reports like these, I'm surprised he seemingly supplanted Driver so quick.

'The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggests Randall Cobb will need more "time" to garner a major offensive role.

Beat writer Bob McGinn anticipates Cobb opening the season as a reserve wide receiver and kickoff returner. While he may be mixed in with the first-team offense just as Cobb was in the third preseason game, he's still behind Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and James Jones, and no better than even with Donald Driver. Cobb still offers upside, but he's just a WR5 pick in fantasy drafts. Aug 27 - 1:06 AM'

I kind of wonder if this was part of the game plan against the 49er D but Cobb looks good and if he isn't sharing time with Driver he should have value in PPR leagues at least.

Cobb's got value in leagues that reward return yardage/TDs - and he'll perform against tough defenses - or if someone ahead of him is injured. Other than that, he's bench fodder.

I drafted him in a bunch of leagues but have since dropped him for A. Morris and K/Ds.

Based on reports like these, I'm surprised he seemingly supplanted Driver so quick.

'The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggests Randall Cobb will need more "time" to garner a major offensive role.

Beat writer Bob McGinn anticipates Cobb opening the season as a reserve wide receiver and kickoff returner. While he may be mixed in with the first-team offense just as Cobb was in the third preseason game, he's still behind Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and James Jones, and no better than even with Donald Driver. Cobb still offers upside, but he's just a WR5 pick in fantasy drafts. Aug 27 - 1:06 AM'

I kind of wonder if this was part of the game plan against the 49er D but Cobb looks good and if he isn't sharing time with Driver he should have value in PPR leagues at least.

Well Rotoworld has gone from WR 5 and 'more time' to :

'Randall Cobb broke out in Green Bay's Week 1 loss to the 49ers, catching nine passes for 77 yards while taking a punt 75 yards to the house for a touchdown.

Being utilized on screens and short-to-intermediate throws, Cobb hauled in all nine of his targets. Often catching the ball in traffic, Cobb had little opportunity to show off his jets, but reversed fields and left everyone in the dust on his special-teams score. A special player the Packers clearly have designs on making a much bigger part of the offense, Cobb needs to be 100 percent owned in fantasy leagues.'

IMO in leagues that dont reward for return yards/TD he will be feast or famine b/c there are so many mouths to feed in GB. He is a huge talent tho. No doubt. I'll be pulling my hair out every week whether or not to start him simply b/c of the other stars on GB who compete for receptions. My league doesnt reward for return yards/TD <_<

I agree with the boom or bust, tough to figure out when to start nature of Cobb and most GB receivers.

That said does anyone know the deal with Driver? Did he play today?

Cobb defs gets a bump if he's supplanted Driver...

I agree with the boom or bust, tough to figure out when to start nature of Cobb and most GB receivers.

That said does anyone know the deal with Driver? Did he play today?

Cobb defs gets a bump if he's supplanted Driver...

I never noticed Driver on the field at all. Jones was usually 3rd WR. Cobb was either 4th WR or he lined up a lot as the single RB on 3rd downs. Just ran pass routes from there.

I never noticed Driver on the field at all. Jones was usually 3rd WR. Cobb was either 4th WR or he lined up a lot as the single RB on 3rd downs. Just ran pass routes from there.

He also lined up in the backfield several times. He didn't do much from that spot, but imagine what he could do from there. Bubble screens and sweeps could put him out in open space where he's most dangerous. A break out year for him for sure.

Being utilized on screens and short-to-intermediate throws, Cobb hauled in all nine of his targets. Often catching the ball in traffic, Cobb had little opportunity to show off his jets, but reversed fields and left everyone in the dust on his special-teams score. Interestingly, Cobb lined up in the backfield on a number of plays, particularly in the second half as the Packers went into comeback mode. He did not receive a carry, operating as a true pass-catching "back." It would be quite a fantasy development if Cobb was routinely used as Green Bay's third-down back. A special player the Packers clearly have designs on making a much bigger part of the offense, Cobb needs to be 100 percent owned in fantasy leagues.

I would get him in every league possible. Especially PPR leagues. Also 9 targets, 9 receptions. Thats Golden Tate territory right there!!!!

EDIT: I had kind of forgotten about Cobb playing all over the place at Kentucky...he had 228 carries for 1300 yards and 22 rushing TDs in college, mostly as a wildcat QB i think. No way he does that in Green Bay, but having him run the ball 3 or 4 times a game a la Percy Harvin probably isnt out of the questio. If it raises Harvin's value, it should do the same to Cobb's.

I really hate these short benches in my longtime yahoo leagues with friends, where I draft all the sleepers I want and then am forced to figure out who to drop for K/D before week 1.

Cobb isn't on any of my teams. And probably won't be.

cobb should have been drafted in almost any format just based on skill and potential..

anyone with a 5-7 person bench has someone with less upside

drivers gone and with another 5k yards coming from Rodgers there is plenty of room for 1k and 5tds to cobb..

Got him way down my bench on a dynasty team, but I think he will rise up the depth chart steadly over the next couple of years (mine and Green Bay's). Whispers out of GB is Jennings most likely will on a different team next year. Future looks bright for Cobb owners.

Drafted him everywhere, but didn't start him. Oops.

no-one started him! if they did they must be real thin at wr

I think he should be held on benches for another week or two IMO

I said weeks ago that you are looking at the next great GB WR... This dude is a HUGE mismatch speed wise...

If they use him out of the backfield on 3rd downs... WOW!

I like Cobb's potential tons, and am already pissed at myself for dropping him in two leagues but the one thing that I was reminded of was the NO playoff game vs San Fran where Sproles caught 15 passes for 118 yards.

I wonder if San Fran is such a tough D to attack that there is something game plan wise about getting the ball out quickly to guys in space.

This was also a game the Packers lost...something they did once last year. If next week Rodgers hits Nelson on a bomb or two, they have to protect a lead, or the game plan is different Cobb might not be quite so involved.

IDK maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better but I think there could be something to it.

I said weeks ago that you are looking at the next great GB WR... This dude is a HUGE mismatch speed wise...

If they use him out of the backfield on 3rd downs... WOW!

That's the thing that folks need to take NOTICE.

He is working out of the backfield in one of the TOP 3 passing offense in the league. The upside is too much to ignore. Take him and sit on it for a few weeks. If you have an incredible deep team, then what are you worried about?

Reached for him big time at the last pick of the 6th/first pick of the 7th (72/73 overall) after guys like Torrey Smith, Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garçon went and before guys like Britt, Blackmon and Denarius Moore in my .5 ppr return yardage league and feeling pretty good about it. :banana:

He might save my season as my WR3, considering I have a carousel at RB2 of Hunter, Carolina RBs and David Wilson.

GB is going to put the ball in his hands as much as possible. Rodgers was looking for him constantly and he caught everything, which QBs love.

special kind of athlete in one of the league's best offenses with a coaching staff who are looking for all kinds of creative ways to use him. Yeah, I'd say he's worth owning in all leagues.

He was drafted in my 10 team league and dropped a few days later. If I wasn't already stacked at WR I'd be putting in a claim. I like him more then Ogletree.

I like him a lot. But here's what I'm worried about.

The Packers used Cobb like how the Saints used Sproles against the Niners during the 2011 playoffs.

Maybe Cobb's performance says more about how to get to the Niners defense than Cobb's affect on the entire season.

Just a thought.

"According to ESPN Milwaukee's unofficial count, Packers WR/KR Randall Cobb lined up in the backfield 19 times in Week 1." :thumbsup:

Being used like Harvin...

The Packers used Cobb like how the Saints used Sproles against the Niners during the 2011 playoffs.

Maybe Cobb's performance says more about how to get to the Niners defense than Cobb's affect on the entire season.

Just a thought.

Hey stop stealing my material! :bandana:

Hey stop stealing my material! :bandana:

Haha, sorry dude. I didn't read what you wrote.

I'll try to stay out of your head.

Greg Jennings' status 'unclear' for Thursday

The Associated Press reports that Greg Jennings' status for Thursday night's game against the Bears is "unclear" due to a groin injury.

The short week really isn't going to help. Coach Mike McCarthy revealed in his Monday presser that Jennings exited Sunday's loss late in the fourth quarter with the injury and "didn't feel very good" afterwards. McCarthy did say Jennings felt better on Monday, but there are no guarantees for banged-up players on four-day weeks. Keep an eye on Jennings' practice workloads, if he even gets any before Thursday Night Football. If Jennings missed the game, the Packers would turn to James Jones as the starter opposite Jordy Nelson. Randall Cobb would continue to play a prominent role as a slot receiver and third-down back.

FML he's probably gonna blow up like Nelson did last year and I'll be regretting drafting and dropping him all year.

Just a thought.

I'm kind of thinking the same way. He is a tremendous athlete, no doubt, and he's going to have some big games this year, but I'm afraid they'll be scattered out based on matchups, gameplans, etc...

I wonder if this is a good time to sell high?

Agree with all those that said he should've been drafted from the start,I drafted him in two of my three leagues very late as my wr #5.Paying close attention to the Jennings injury on a short week for the pack.

He's gotta have at least 7 grabs, about 10 targets. Which I think is more than Jordy and Jennings combined. Not to mention a punt return TD. Is this a fluke or what?

If Jennings is out who do people think is a better start?

James Jones or Cobb?

If Jennings is out who do people think is a better start?

James Jones or Cobb?

Jones Standard, Cobb PPR is the easy answer but really who knows.