Sign in to follow this  
gcmmidwest

Knowshon Moreno

knowshon moreno

should be owned in all leagues. He makes addai look like garbage when in there with Peyton. One of the best pass catchers in the league and will never see a stacked box with Peyton now

Moreno is a great pass-catcher out of the backfield. Combine that with Peyton Manning at QB, and I don't think it's out of the question that the majority of Moreno's yards (in the case of an injury to McGahee) could come from screen passes and such out of the backfield, as opposed to rushes. Hitting Moreno in space would likely give him more yards per touch than giving him handoffs out of the backfield.

I have bid in for him right now.......trying to figure out the wire works in this new league.

This is an interesting call. I could take a shot on dropping my handcuff to Lynch and A. Morris (Tubin and Royster) for him. Are those moves you guys would make?

His rotoworld blurb was not good but they have already steered me wrong on Cobb so I don't trust them for jack.

'Knowshon Moreno had a night to forget in Denver's Week 1 win over the Steelers, rushing five times for only 13 yards while struggling in pass protection.

Moreno didn't draw a target in the passing game. Moreno was promoted to No. 2 duties in part because the Broncos liked what they thought he could do in pass protection, but he surrendered one of Peyton Manning's two sacks, while getting burned on at least one other blitz. With both Lance Ball and Ronnie Hillman waiting in the wings, Moreno is miles away from fantasy relevance. Sep 10 - 12:31 AM'

I said this in another thread...from what I saw the other night he's superior to McGahee, and looks healthy. HC Fox loves versatile backs and I could easily see this turning into a situation like it was with Ray Rice and McGahee swooping in for the TD's.

I said this in another thread...from what I saw the other night he's superior to McGahee, and looks healthy. HC Fox loves versatile backs and I could easily see this turning into a situation like it was with Ray Rice and McGahee swooping in for the TD's.

Can anyone expand on what they saw from Moreno that they liked so much? Honestly I watched the game, and saw the TD, but didn't notice him otherwise. Was he operating as the exclusive 3rd down back?

Moreno 5 carries, 13 yards, 2.6 average. TD

McGahee 16 carries, 64 yards, 4.0 average * Lost fumble

What am I missing?

If Moreno's primed for a good year, how come he didn't do squat against the Steelers? No catches. No targets. None.

Not sold on Moreno either. Still think Broncos are going to eventually give this role to Hillman. It seems that he plays smaller and softer every year...

Plus anytime you let number 18 get sacked I figure your snaps may go down.

Picked him up this morning...l feel like I just ate a sh1t sandwich. Can't wait to drop this bum.

This is an interesting call. I could take a shot on dropping my handcuff to Lynch and A. Morris (Tubin and Royster) for him. Are those moves you guys would make?

His rotoworld blurb was not good but they have already steered me wrong on Cobb so I don't trust them for jack.

'Knowshon Moreno had a night to forget in Denver's Week 1 win over the Steelers, rushing five times for only 13 yards while struggling in pass protection.

Moreno didn't draw a target in the passing game. Moreno was promoted to No. 2 duties in part because the Broncos liked what they thought he could do in pass protection, but he surrendered one of Peyton Manning's two sacks, while getting burned on at least one other blitz. With both Lance Ball and Ronnie Hillman waiting in the wings, Moreno is miles away from fantasy relevance. Sep 10 - 12:31 AM'

This doesn't sound good and I am no Moreno fan...avoided him since he came in the league, never a believer. That said, I did pinch my nose and picked him up this morning. Right now he's listed as the #2 RB behind old man Willis on a P. Manning led team...there is some value there IMO.

Also, this article was from right before the season started...I'm willing to watch a week and see if there is any improvement:

When John Elway and director of player personnel Matt Russell spent nearly an hour answering fan questions on a team-organized teleconference of over 7,500 on Tuesday, they knew they'd get some tough questions.

But perhaps the pithiest belonged to a fan who wondered why the Broncos kept 2009 first-round pick Knowshon Moreno over Jeremiah Johnson as one of their four running backs. The fan's identification of Moreno as "No-Show," a fairly common epithet among Broncos fans on talk radio and social media, revealed his bias.

Elway didn't flinch, and explained his rationale: that Moreno's improvement in blitz pickup helped him seal his spot over Johnson, who is on the practice squad.

"With the evaluation that we had, we didn't feel like (Johnson) was quite there yet -- especially in third down," Elway said. "You've got to get better with protections, whereas Knowshon is a guy that is very good in third downs and does a great job in protections, as we saw the last couple of weeks."

Moreno, who was coming off a torn ACL that ended his 2011 season, not only made the team, but ascended back up the depth chart to No. 2 behind Willis McGahee. Moreno was buried on the depth chart throughout training camp as the fourth-team running back, but after struggling in the first two preseason games, improved and averaged 7.0 yards per carry in the exhibition finale at Arizona on Aug. 30.

"He is really starting to mature as a back," Elway said, "plus he is so invaluable on third down because of his ability not only to run routes out of the backfield on third down, but he also does a tremendous job in protections and knowing the right guy to pick up, and then having the ability to pick him up. That's one of those things that goes unsung with a running back is the ability to pick up a blitz."

If I hear he gets demoted to 3rd or 4th RB prior to this week's games, I'll drop him. If he sucks week two, I'll drop him, but for now, I'm gonna pull a Costanza in regards to Moreno and see what happens.

If you let Manning get hit, you wont see the field very often. Period!

He messed up really on only 1 pass protection that I saw. He got blown by, and it wasn't one where Manning was sacked. When manning was sacked two guys came off the left, Moreno picked up the inside guy. He couldn't have stopped both, if he grabbed the outside guy the inside would have came in.

The announcers even criticized Manning for not seeing that two were coming and bringing over another blocker mostly blaming Manning. At first it did look like Moreno blew it, but he really didn't.(he said that's some of the rust Manning's shaking off)

He didn't look bad at all. He has been coming on strong off his injury and went from 3rd stringer, to splitting 2nd stringer, to straight up backup of McGahee. They obviously like him enough to let him come in on a drive and punch in a TD. I think he could definitely make some waves this year if he gets the shot...,which at some point i think manning talks the coaches into more dump off plays for him.

If you let Manning get hit, you wont see the field very often. Period!

I agree with this. I saw a couple of missed blitz pickups from Moreno in week 1. This is usually one of the biggest factors in a RB's playing time, and it is an even bigger deal when you are supposed to be protecting a $100M QB coming off 4 neck surgeries. I'm staying away from Moreno for now in all but the deepest leagues.

I see the appeal but someone has yet to sell me that I should drop Turbin, Lynch handcuff, or even Royster- for him.

Maybe Royster....Right?

Someone sell me.

This doesn't sound good and I am no Moreno fan...avoided him since he came in the league, never a believer. That said, I did pinch my nose and picked him up this morning. Right now he's listed as the #2 RB behind old man Willis on a P. Manning led team...there is some value there IMO.

Also, this article was from right before the season started...I'm willing to watch a week and see if there is any improvement:

If I hear he gets demoted to 3rd or 4th RB prior to this week's games, I'll drop him. If he sucks week two, I'll drop him, but for now, I'm gonna pull a Costanza in regards to Moreno and see what happens.

:thumbsup:

Ok....he's where I'm at. I picked up Pitta over the wknd on my Royster team and dropped my kicker just for the heck of it. I'll do this often just to see how things play out.

I've dropped Pitta for him.

Since I am in a need of getting a kicker one of: DHB, Jstew, R. Williams, P. Thomas, Moreno, Royster (A. Morris owner) is getting dropped.

That looks to be Royster at this point...

Ok....he's where I'm at. I picked up Pitta over the wknd on my Royster team and dropped my kicker just for the heck of it. I'll do this often just to see how things play out.

Since I am in a need of getting a kicker one of: DHB, Jstew, R. Williams, P. Thomas, Moreno, Royster (A. Morris owner) is getting dropped.

p thomas

p thomas

I've already shared my love for P. Thomas recently. I am fan of holding onto good players on good offenses. I wouldn't' cut Thomas before Royster or Moreno.

Hillman was a healthy scratch last week. That being said he will play this week. I think moreno looked good in pre-season, great stiff arm, not dancing in the hole, weak pass protection, and a personalized license plate that says 'SAUCED'. I still agree that Hillman may take that role because he was drafted by Elway not Mcdoush. If you have roster room take a shot but if not wait to see what hillman does this week if anything, he is a rookie, but a third round rookie.

I'll never forgive NOshow Moreno for losing me a playoff game a couple years back by less than 5 points.

I started him in the semi-finals in 2010

4 rushes for 5 yards and 1 catch for 1 yards :mad:

he had 100 yards and a td the week before. and scored 3 out of the 4 weeks prior.

cbs

Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno scored a touchdown in the season opener but is expected to take a backseat to Willis McGahee again in Week 2 against the Falcons. McGahee led Denver with 64 yards rushing in Week 1 while Moreno managed just 14. Atlanta allowed 152 yards rushing in their season opener and surrendered 21 Fantasy points to opposing running backs.

(Updated 09/12/12)

Fantasy Analysis

Moreno scored his first touchdown since 2010 last week but usually does not see touches in the red zone for the Broncos. That could change going forward with an aging McGahee head of him on the depth chart so keep an eye on the situation as the season goes on. While Atlanta appears to be a favorable matchup for the 25-year-old, owners in the majority of Fantasy formats would be wise to keep Moreno reserved for Week 2.

Is this the same Moreno that everyone on this bored said sucks for the last two years?

Now he's a hot pickup after 11 yards?

Or is it opposite day?

Is this the same Moreno that everyone on this bored said sucks for the last two years?

Or is it opposite day?

Bizarro World :banana:

I don't know what you're waiting for, get this done already before someone else scoops him up.

Or is it opposite day?

Yeah. That's kind of what I think but all thing considered McGahee is 100 and I don't see him excelling in a pass catching role. Someone, or maybe a few guys, will emerge in that role.

I just need to decide between Moreno and Royster. Any advice guys?

Feel free to comment on my Royster thread...I think he's almost drop worthy but i"m not sure.

I hate Moreno and thought he looked terrible in that game. If you get Manning hit you won't be on the field for long.

That said what is going on with Hillman? His preseason games prior to injury alone should have got him the #2RB job. But the healthy scratch, and Fox and old school coach talking about work ethic scared me off him. I dropped him in a couple leagues.

Moreno might actually be the #2RB in denver for the forseable future. Not that, that is worth much in a Peyton Manning led offense. In case you haven't been watching football for the last decade, Manning likes to Pass, pass and oh yeah run a stretch play for 1 yd so he can pass some more. :rolleyes:

Willis McGahee:

One of the biggest reasons McGahee didn't get more carries against the Steelers was because of the lack of play time overall. Had the Broncos offense seen more time, McGahee could very well have topped 100 yards. Now McGahee averaged 4 yards per carry, so it would only take 25 carries to top 100 yards, not unreasonable, and considering McGahee did see about half the red zone plays, he looks to be the main back in terms of rushing touchdowns as well.

There are two things going against McGahee though, the first is Knowshon Moreno. Moreno was in on almost every 3rd down, and saw the other red zone work, scoring the only rushing touchdown for the Broncos. Elway has also been talking up Moreno this week, and while Moreno did only see 5 carries and no passing targets, he did see a solid amount of playing time and that isn't going away, especially if the Broncos start using the no huddle offense more often.

The last thing holding McGahee back is the team the Broncos are facing. against a team like the Steelers a strong run game is especially important to help set up the passing game but going against a deep passing heavy team like the Falcons, run plays will start disappearing if the game starts getting out of hand in terms of scoring. While McGahee is the best option of all the Broncos back, the situation this week just doesn't seem like the best place to start McGahee outside of a flex spot.

Willis McGahee:

One of the biggest reasons McGahee didn't get more carries against the Steelers was because of the lack of play time overall. Had the Broncos offense seen more time, McGahee could very well have topped 100 yards. Now McGahee averaged 4 yards per carry, so it would only take 25 carries to top 100 yards, not unreasonable, and considering McGahee did see about half the red zone plays, he looks to be the main back in terms of rushing touchdowns as well.

There are two things going against McGahee though, the first is Knowshon Moreno. Moreno was in on almost every 3rd down, and saw the other red zone work, scoring the only rushing touchdown for the Broncos. Elway has also been talking up Moreno this week, and while Moreno did only see 5 carries and no passing targets, he did see a solid amount of playing time and that isn't going away, especially if the Broncos start using the no huddle offense more often.

The last thing holding McGahee back is the team the Broncos are facing. against a team like the Steelers a strong run game is especially important to help set up the passing game but going against a deep passing heavy team like the Falcons, run plays will start disappearing if the game starts getting out of hand in terms of scoring. While McGahee is the best option of all the Broncos back, the situation this week just doesn't seem like the best place to start McGahee outside of a flex spot.

Interesting points. With Maclin iffy, I dont have much choice this week.

Willis McGahee:

Damn dude. You've convinced me to drop Turbin(Lynch owner) and Royster(A. Morris owner) for him. Hope this works out!

:nono: ......everything i've read and heard is that Moreno is being demoted due to poor pass blocking, in no way do they want the hope of the Denver (Peyton Manning) to be at risk.

and i'm a homer

I like Lamar Miller over Moreno, though I'm probably wrong. We'll see if he has anything in him this week.

I got both of them...way on the bottom of my roster. For the record, these are nothing but speculative pick ups. If either work out you can really catch lightning in a bottle, but don't get too attached...don't be afraid to cut your losses after a week or two if they don't pan out. Other players will appear out of nowhere as the season marches on.

everything i've read and heard is that Moreno is being demoted

I'd like to see a link?

Willis McGahee:

Taken directly from MileHighReport :thumbsup: