Sign in to follow this  
envoy9

HOF RBs if they retired today....

So yesterday I asked which qbs would go into the hall of fame if their careers ended now and there were several. So now I ask which active RBs would go? I think it's a short list.... Might be only Ray Rice and Sjax and I think theyre both iffy. Thoughts?

If Rice retires today he is not in the hall of fame. IMO Jackson definitely deserves to go. Besides that I don't think there is anyone out there with the stats to get in right now. Maybe CJ Spiller?

The bar has been raised at the position and running backs just dont stay productive long enough any more. Steven Jackson is the only one even in the running.

Yeah it is just hard for RB with the RBBC systems out there. Plus it seems they can't make it more than a season without an injury keeping them out of at least a few games.

Todays stats certainly won't compare with the glory days of RBs. Maybe AP or MJD?

I'm going to go +1 on none.

MAYBE AD just because of his freaky talent.

Fock, I forgot about him. :doh:

Yeah, Peterson is getting in. MJD is in the running too.

Fock, I forgot about him. :doh:

Yeah, Peterson is getting in. MJD is in the running too.

I dont think they get in if they retire today. 2 more very good seasons after this one and then maybe mjd gets in. Ap also needs a few more good years.

Umm the thread says if they retire today. If MJD and AP retire today no way do they get in.

Honestly no one if they retired today would get in.

I dont think they get in if they retire today. 2 more very good seasons after this one and then maybe mjd gets in. Ap also needs a few more good years.

I agree. AP would create a strong argument.

Looking back at the drafts, between AD and LT2, first round RBs are awfully light on success.

Deuce-Good, not great

Michael Bennett-Swift, but sucky

William Green-Sucked

TJ Duckett-Sucked

Willis McGahee-Good, not great.

Larry Johnson-Couple great years, fell off a cliff

Steven Jackson-Nice career, not quite HOF quality

Chris Perry-Who?

Kevin Jones-Nice rookie year, got hurt, never got back on track

Ronnie Brown-Injury problems, RBBC

Cedric Benson-Sucked, had a career resurgence in Cincy, but never was great

Cadillac Williams-Injuries, injuries, injuries

Reggie Bush-Never lived up to the hype, having a career resurgence in Miami

Laurence Maroney-Showed flashes, never amounted to much

DeAngelo Williams-Injuries, RBBC

Joseph Addai-Yawn

LT2 is the last of the bonified RBs worthy of Canton. AP needs a few more 1500yard seasons to be considered. After that...rice has the best chance.

What a disgrace to the hof talking about guys getting in so soon. Rice?? AP? talk to me in 4 yrs and at least 3 more pro bowls. I understand shelf life is short but I need 9 yrs of work to even evaluate. Longevity and durability are factors in judging a career. Not just being a big talent and full of potential.

Steven Jackson is not close. He never elevated his team, he just got the ball alot. Id put shaun Alexander in over sjax and I wouldn't even put Shaun in (altho google Shaun's numbers yearly, u will flip.).

Ladainian is an all time great, but no one else recently.

Stephen Jackson and MJD are the only one's with long enough careers and enough stats for current consideration.

And neither would make the HOF if they left today.

edit... forgot Frank Gore. He's damn close, but I don't he's in either.

The answer as many of you have already said is, NOBODY. And quite frankly as of today, NOBODY is even close. For fun, let me nominate Vonta Leach. I know he doesn't get in but he is a 2x Pro Bowler and currently is playing his ninth year in the league. He possibly will have blocked for two future HOF'ers (Foster, and Rice) so he better be in either of their speeches if they do make it!

I know where I stand on this one but how about the recently retired Clinton Portis?

The answer as many of you have already said is, NOBODY. And quite frankly as of today, NOBODY is even close. For fun, let me nominate Vonta Leach. I know he doesn't get in but he is a 2x Pro Bowler and currently is playing his ninth year in the league. He possibly will have blocked for two future HOF'ers (Foster, and Rice) so he better be in either of their speeches if they do make it!

I know where I stand on this one but how about the recently retired Clinton Portis?

Portis is a good guy but not quite there. He needed at least 2 more strong seasons imo. I'll say Edge has a better shot.

If they retired today? Nobody.

I see SJax's name a lot. We know he has no rings, and has toiled away on a Rams team that has been pretty shitty throughout his career. He has 3 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pro nods, and one league rushing title. Those aren't enough to put him in, imo. So he would need some eye-popping stats to garner any real consideration. Here's how his stats rank all time among RBs:

Rushing attempts: 28th (2,197)

Rushing yards: 31st (9,288)

Rushing TDs: 58th (52)

Yards per rush: 164th (4.2)

Total yards from scrimmage: 46th (12,339)

Those aren't hall of fame numbers. I have nothing but respect for Jackson, but the hardware's not there, the stats aren't there, and at no point was Jackson really considered the best in the league at his position. Maybe by the time he retires he can change this, but right now, not a HOFer.

How about MJD? A similar situation in terms of the team around him, and the hardware (or lack of). Also 3 Pro Bowls, 3 all-pro nods, and a league rushing title. Stats:

Rushing attempts: 64th (1,556)

Rushing yards: 51st (7,206)

Rushing TDs: 38th (63)

Yards per rush: 60th (4.6)

Total yards from scrimmage: 88th (9,762)

Same answer as Jackson - no. Not today, anyway.

Rice, AP - too soon. Both are on the fast track, but they still have a long way to go.

SJax is a mortal lock for the HOF. A PedersOn is the only other active you'd even have to consider. Nobody else.

Portis is a good guy but not quite there. He needed at least 2 more strong seasons imo. I'll say Edge has a better shot.

Good Call. Initially, I thought no way so I had to look... Edge- 12,246 (11th all time).

Now, I still say No... But if I don't put Edge in I certainly cannot put Portis in either.

As for why? No rings. Although I did hear a rumor Edge was given a ring by the Colts organization after the '06 season.

On a side note, I was not aware Thomas Jones is ranked (22th) all-time with 10,591. This is impressive and did surprise me, but I will still throw out another NO. Maybe I am still too nostalgic... Even with the evolution of the game, I just cannot put anymore RBs in after LT. So there you have it... After LT, no other running back will ever be inducted into the HOF. I guess we can kill the thread now. Good Night.

I'm such a male's sausage.. Hahahaha :overhead:

SJax is a mortal lock for the HOF. A PedersOn is the only other active you'd even have to consider. Nobody else.

Not a mortal lock in the slightest. The poster above just laid out his stats and shows he's nowhere near top 10 or 15. He's about done w his career maybe a year left before 2 years of sad backup duty.

In my head my criteria is that you need to flirt w top ten numbers in a least a few categories.

Speaking of SJax, I just saw the news that the Rams have agreed to void the final year of his deal - so he'll be on the open market after this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/20455193/rams-to-let-jackson-void-contract-after-2012-become-free-agent-in-2013

If he can land in the right spot, where he has a chance at a ring, and can put together a couple really good seasons, then maybe he can get some HOF consideration. Still wouldn't put him in as of today, but it looks like he'll have a chance to change that.

Speaking of SJax, I just saw the news that the Rams have agreed to void the final year of his deal - so he'll be on the open market after this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/20455193/rams-to-let-jackson-void-contract-after-2012-become-free-agent-in-2013

If he can land in the right spot, where he has a chance at a ring, and can put together a couple really good seasons, then maybe he can get some HOF consideration. Still wouldn't put him in as of today, but it looks like he'll have a chance to change that.

Green 19... Green 19.

This is Frank Gore's 8th season. If he has a big year and SF goes on to win the SuperBowl, I think his resume would be nearly complete.

How many more years would he need? :dunno:

I think RB's need to hit at least 12000 yards to even being in consideration, or 15000 total yards

Gore currently has 10,400 total yards. He could easily finish the season with 12,000. And if he's packing the SuperBowl hardware, I'd argue he's probably in.

This is Frank Gore's 8th season. If he has a big year and SF goes on to win the SuperBowl, I think his resume would be nearly complete.

How many more years would he need? :dunno:

However long it would take to break the top 50 in most categories.

Yards: 45th - 7,951

Touchdowns: 77th - 46

Yards per carry: 60th - 4.6

Total yards from scrimmage: 75th - 10,387

Three pro bowls, no rushing titles. Only broken 1,200 rushing yards twice in his career.

My question - what year was Gore considered the best running back in the league? If there's no answer, there's no hall of fame. If you can't be considered the best at any point in your career, you can't be considered one of the best in the history of the game.

My question - what year was Gore considered the best running back in the league? If there's no answer, there's no hall of fame. If you can't be considered the best at any point in your career, you can't be considered one of the best in the history of the game.

I disagree with that qualifier. What if the players was 2nd best for numerous years?

As for Gore's current ranking you posted, those are his current stats. With a good season, those numbers would be better. Although even I admit, Gore is no lock even with a good season and SuperBowl win. But he'd be damn close. The closest of any active player anyway.

Gore has been consistent, but when was he ever considered top 3 at his position? Maybe a year or two, but so was Clinton Portis. Everyone is just waiting for Gore to break down and when he has a productive season it's more of a pleasant surprise.

If Edgerrin James can't get in then I don't see anyone currently that can.

If Peterson ended up rushing for another 1,400 yards this season I would put him in. WR & QB you need longevity. With RBs their careers are more compact. If AP retired at the end of the year he would have had close to 80 tds and 5 1,300 seasons (one was 2 yards short). He was the best runner of his generation and with all the RBBC out there he stands out. Guys like Bettis are compilers and they need the total career yards. Take a look at guys like Earl Campbell. Short careers, but man was he good.

Just my two pennies

I agree with everything you have posted on this topic; HOWEVER, C Martin COULD have been an exception IF he did not take the rushing title in 2004... He was always a guy behind the guy kinda player.

If Peterson ended up rushing for another 1,400 yards this season I would put him in. WR & QB you need longevity. With RBs their careers are more compact. If AP retired at the end of the year he would have had close to 80 tds and 5 1,300 seasons (one was 2 yards short). He was the best runner of his generation and with all the RBBC out there he stands out. Guys like Bettis are compilers and they need the total career yards. Take a look at guys like Earl Campbell. Short careers, but man was he good.

Just my two pennies

In his first 5 seasons Bettis had only 600 yds less than Peterson did coming into this year. And if his carries were not limited his last year with the Rams by horrible coaching they would be even closer.

People only seem to remember fat, old, 1 yard TD Bettis. He had some great years as a RB. Had 4 seasons of 1300+ yds.

But while I would agree Peterson has been a better RB than Bettis ever was..................he has not been Earl Campbell either. Or even Terrell Davis really. Peterson needs to compile plenty more career yds or he won't be getting in the HOF either.

Many people commenting in this thread ought to check this page too. Lots of guys on this list with no chance at HOF that have thousands of more yds than current guys and were just as good or better at a similar point in careers.

http://www.pro-footb..._yds_career.htm

There isn't a rb playing today that deserves to be enshrined with the likes of Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, or Emmitt Smith - to suggest so is ridiculous.