Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Vernon Davis sucks

Focking started great and that bloats the numbers but lets be honest: He aint done sh!t for what is now FOUR straight weeks. The 100 yard game against Buffalo was an anomally in that time period and even in that game where every jackoff WR on the team scored a TD he couldnt even do that. His targets are dropping and hes losing a lot of looks to stoopid Crabtree, Walker and Manningham.

Its just become painfully obvious that his value is tanking. I mean, he had ZERO points last night, even in leagues wher you score points for showing up he got zero. Focking brilliant. Azzfock.

Go ahead, and buy "low".... enjoy watching the box score each week NOT include him.

RANT OVER :mad:

Davis, the player, doesn't 'suck'. The 49'ers simply don't utilize him. Well they do utilize him, but its for either A.) run blocking or B.) clearing out space for the slot WR or RB to catch a whopping 5 yard pass from Alex Smith.

We fantasy geeks get fooled because every once in a while when the QB actually looks Vernon's way down the field we see what is capable. It is simply becoming more and more apparent that those moments are going to be few and far between.

You put Vernon Davis on a team that has a good QB, who's offense passes the ball down field and he'd be a stud. SF and Alex Smith is simply not that team. They are a run the ball, uber conservative, grind out wins team. That'll work in the regular season but rarely does that win you a Championship. At least not in the past three decades since football has evolved.

Right now it looks like the winners of drafts took Tony G. Guys who took V Davis like me in the middle rounds are just fine. And the guys who spent 1st/2nd rounders on Graham and Gronkowski are sucking the hind teet.

TE is a suck position in fantasy. Davis isn't that bad considering.

Right now it looks like the winners of drafts took Tony G. Guys who took V Davis like me in the middle rounds are just fine. And the guys who spent 1st/2nd rounders on Graham and Gronkowski are sucking the hind teet.

Well, it's a value position for FF. If you took Graham or Gronk anywhere after Rd.s 6 - 7 last year, your team was likely a playoff team. This year Gonzo comes closest, followed at a distance by maybe Kyle Rudolph. Taking one in the late 1st, like they're top tier RBs or stud WRs was likely a FF car accident waiting to happen.

Strange draft this year though.. next year we'll be back to very few people reaching for both QBs and elite TEs in the early rounds.

Back to the original post intent.. VD has never quite been the model of consistency though has he?

I heard VD does suck but advances im medicine could help y'all out

Back to the original post intent.. VD has never quite been the model of consistency though has he?

Being inconsistent is one thing. Not even being part of the offense (did he even have 1 target?) is another. I honestly don't think he had one ball thrown in his direction. I may have went to pee and Alex Smith threw one away at Vernon's feet once, but if that didn't happen then he had ZERO targets.

Inconsistent is one thing. Invisible is another.

Being inconsistent is one thing. Not even being part of the offense (did he even have 1 target?) is another. I honestly don't think he had one ball thrown in his direction. I may have went to pee and Alex Smith threw one away at Vernon's feet once, but if that didn't happen then he had ZERO targets.

It was zero targets

Gronk and Stafford rounds 1 and 2, 5th out of 12 in total points and tied in second place. Just gotta backup those picks with smart picks. Gronk has been a solid enough player, hopefully gets hot here soon.

I don't think TE is a make or break position, they are all streaky. QB's and terrible #1 RB's can doom a season much easier.

Thats the point. Its just absurd. Even so, their passign attack is revolving around Manningfock, Mossfock, and Crabfock. Or, Gorefock. Barf.

I don't think TE is a make or break position, they are all streaky. QB's and terrible #1 RB's can doom a season much easier.

Its not a make or break position and our lineups dont even require a TE. However, finding the right WRs these days isnt as easy as it used to be so TE's like Davis, Graham, Gronk, Gonzo, etc, etc are supposed to be just as viable as many supposed WR1's. Davis scored 11 times last year and carried that momentum into the playoffs and early this year. A bad game here and ther is to be expected but an entire month with no scores and one 100 yard flukey game against a sh!t Bills team aint getting it done.

I just cant believe how he went from a target/TD beast to a waste of roster space. Whatever.

Gronk and Stafford rounds 1 and 2, 5th out of 12 in total points and tied in second place. Just gotta backup those picks with smart picks. Gronk has been a solid enough player, hopefully gets hot here soon.

I was just generalizing. You must have made some saavy picks to fill your RB & WR positions to not be too adversely effected by Stafford. Gronk will always be steady if healthy and will deliver you some weeks.. but he's just about tied in terms of output with guys like Daniels and Rudolph right now. Guys who prob went lower than the 11th rd in most drafts.

Zero targets for Vernon, Alex Smith & the Niners philosophy withstanding.. is brutal. Still, he's pointed like a top TE overall. Hot early and busting lately. 4 real good weeks (including that big game Week 2 v. the Lions) and had 3 clunkers out of the last 4 lately.

Was just saying, doesn't he always seem to be like this? Only time i've ever had him, I "bought low" right around this time of year from a frustrated owner (maybe two seasons ago) and he was pretty nice down the stretch.

He's just not Steady Eddie.. He's that guy you roll with, knowing his upside is major.. who usually goes something like 4/65, or suddenly scores on a 65 yard 1st half pass play and pads it the rest of the game with his usual, okay production. Were he even on Dallas or maybe Chicago, let alone Nola or NE.. he probably be a cemented as a Top 3 TE for the foreseeable future. Guy is just phenomenal athletically.. and seems finally, to not by such a "me first" asshat.

I was reading about this morning, it sounds like the Hawks didn't do anything special for coverage on Davis, Alex Smith just didn't even look at him. I saw him run free down the middle on at least a couple of plays but Smith has become Captain Checkdown in the last couple of games.

Thats the point. Its just absurd. Even so, their passign attack is revolving around Manningfock, Mossfock, and Crabfock. Or, Gorefock. Barf.

Its not a make or break position and our lineups dont even require a TE. However, finding the right WRs these days isnt as easy as it used to be so TE's like Davis, Graham, Gronk, Gonzo, etc, etc are supposed to be just as viable as many supposed WR1's. Davis scored 11 times last year and carried that momentum into the playoffs and early this year. A bad game here and ther is to be expected but an entire month with no scores and one 100 yard flukey game against a sh!t Bills team aint getting it done.

I just cant believe how he went from a target/TD beast to a waste of roster space. Whatever.

Not disagreeing with out about the offensive game plan. They saw what e could do in the playoffs, now he's jut ignored.

Feel the same way about Moss, they have no idea what to do with him, even at his age he can be dangerous.

Maybe from a fantasy perspective, but in terms of real football he had a little bit to do with all the yardage Gore racked up. Dude is a beast of a blocker.

Plus Alex Smith sucks and had to stick to an ultra-conservative game plan in order for his team to have a chance.

What should be truly frightening is that Kyle Williams, who had 11 targets on the season entering last nights game, got 4 targets to Davis' 0.

Maybe from a fantasy perspective, but in terms of real football he had a little bit to do with all the yardage Gore racked up. Dude is a beast of a blocker.

Plus Alex Smith sucks and had to stick to an ultra-conservative game plan in order for his team to have a chance.

If Harbaugh wasn't such a fruitcake Peyton probably would have considered the 49ers. If that would have happened it would have been ridiculous how good that team would be. Alex Smith is still holding them back.

If Harbaugh wasn't such a fruitcake Peyton probably would have considered the 49ers. If that would have happened it would have been ridiculous how good that team would be. Alex Smith is still holding them back.

My best friend is a life long 49ers fan and that subject kept coming up all night. How happy Davis and Crabtree would have been if Manning had done more then tease them.

Alex Smith is still the QB of that team, right? This conversation begins and ends right there. I cannot think of a better example of one single player holding back an entire organization.

Alex Smith is still the QB of that team, right? This conversation begins and ends right there. I cannot think of a better example of one single player holding back an entire organization.

A few years back the Jets were a very similar team to what the 49ers are right now. They couldn't make the leap to the SB because Sanchize is the eastcoast version of Alex Smith.

Sounds about right - when the QB can't make all the throws and threaten you down the field and along the sidelines, its awfully easy to defend the best offensive player on the team at TE.

I would have to watch the game again to get a really good read (not going to happen as a Hawks fan because that game pissed me off), but it seemed to me that Davis played a big role in the game by clearing out the middle of the field. Besides Gore running all over the Hawk D (how the hell do they allow that BTW) the only play SF had was to throw it to a wide open guy right in the middle. Davis was clearing out LBs on many of those plays.

So he had not FFB impact, but SF used him.

What should be truly frightening is that Kyle Williams, who had 11 targets on the season entering last nights game, got 4 targets to Davis' 0.

I dunno, it's not like it helps the 49ers if they are always throwing the ball to where the defense expects them to. Things like this happen.

I dunno, it's not like it helps the 49ers if they are always throwing the ball to where the defense expects them to. Things like this happen.

In real football yes. But in real football i dont care who wins last nights game, or how many receptions different receivers get. All that matters to me as a Vernon Davis owner is that SF seems to be willing to excise Vernon Davis completely from the playbook when the need arises. Its not like they tried to get him the ball a few times and the defense and circumstance and luck conspired and they made no connections. The 49ers didnt even try to throw to him last night. Not one single time. Maybe it was gameplanning. Maybe Davis is dinged up. Maybe Davis ogled Mrs Harbaugh before the game and the coach was getting his revenge. I dont know. Davis might be one of the most physically gifted TE in the league, he might be vital to the SF passing game as a decoy and clearing out the middle or some such coach-speak, but the bottom line is as he is now for Fantasy Football purposes he is nothing more than a giant roller coaster. I'd rather get 7 points every single week than ride this ride any longer. Luckily i own him in a 10 team league and there are viable options on the WW (Hello Kyle Rudolph). Im not going to drop him, but he will be on my bench for the forseeable future.

Matt Cassel

Funnier still was the poll that the announcers tool before he game that had most people voting VD as the player that would have the biggest impact in the game.

Really it just came down to the running game going great so less need to throw, and the sea D allowing flare and flat passes all night. Game managing qbs always go for the easy open pass regardless of down or distance.

I have graham in 4 leagues and gronk in one and none of my teams are bad. :dunno: