Sign in to follow this  
Dragan187

If you drafted RB/ RB in rounds 1 & 2 this year

I remember earlier this year, everyone talking about the infamous RB/RB strategy was an old school way of drafting. With the way the league is changing we should go for a top QB, or grab Calvin Johnson with pick 5, or Grab Gronk or Graham in the late 1st/ early second round, yada, yada, yada. For those of you that did draft RB/RB, I would like to know the following...

What's your record?

What draft spot did you have?

What were the 2 RBs that you picked?

What's your record?

6-3

5th(14 Teams)

DMC :thumbsdown:

Martin :thumbsup:

My best teams is when I load up on RB 4-5 and hit on some late WR or trade the RBs for WR during the season. Every years late round RB become studs. WR are more likely to be found it late rounds or 3rd 4th rounds (AJ Green, Percy, Wallace, etc)

3 Leagues

12 Spot

8-1

AP

MJD (Traded MJD for Roddy White week before he got hurt)

3 Spot

2-7

McCoy

Steven Jackson

9 Spot. Went QB & RB

6-2

Brady

MJD (Traded MJD for Calvin Week 3) (Had McGahee and Ridley)

6-2-1

3rd pick

Rice

Bradshaw

Historically in this league the teams I drafted RB/RB first have done much better than the teams I didn't. Although this year's success is also due to the fact that I hit a homerun with my WR drafting (Cruz, Marshall, Wayne, Bowe)

5-4 (lost 2 games by combined 9.6 points, other 2 L's I got owned).

#4 of 10

1.Rice

2. DMC

7-2 had the 5th pick of 10

Rd 1 - McCoy

Rd 2 - Charles

Of course trading Mendy and Flacco (after week 4 when Flacco still looked like a Top 10 QB) for Martin sure helped!

6-2-1

3rd pick

Rice

Bradshaw

Historically in this league the teams I drafted RB/RB first have done much better than the teams I didn't. Although this year's success is also due to the fact that I hit a homerun with my WR drafting (Cruz, Marshall, Wayne, Bowe)

Was going to suggest same thing.

Records really aren't the best indicator even if you went RB / RB in the first couple rounds. You could have drafted two crummy RB's in the first and second round but hit gold in the later rounds. In most of my leagues my first couple draft picks have been awful: Murray, Dmac, Stafford. but my teams consist of WR combo's Cruz, Jones, Harvin, Marshall, Wayne, Decker, Thomas, and Cobb at the WR Position. QB position has combos' of Ryan, Manning, Romo, and Luck.

I personally got a lot of mid and late round value that have out performed most of the guys taken in the first few rounds. Just saying whether or not you went RB/RB isn't the best indicator to whether or not your team is successful because we can't see the rest of your team.

Was going to suggest same thing.

Records really aren't the best indicator even if you went RB / RB in the first couple rounds. You could have drafted two crummy RB's in the first and second round but hit gold in the later rounds. In most of my leagues my first couple draft picks have been awful: Murray, Dmac, Stafford. but my teams consist of WR combo's Cruz, Jones, Harvin, Marshall, Wayne, Decker, Thomas, and Cobb at the WR Position. QB position has combos' of Ryan, Manning, Romo, and Luck.

I personally got a lot of mid and late round value that have out performed most of the guys taken in the first few rounds. Just saying whether or not you went RB/RB isn't the best indicator to whether or not your team is successful because we can't see the rest of your team.

Especially considering some people in leagues took the AP/ MJD/ Charles/ Matthews gamble....while others did not...and where they went, etc

Terrible predictor for success.

8-1

1.01 = Ray Rice

2.12 = Steven Jackson (traded after week 4 for Matt Forte in a package deal with Brian Hartline and Daryl Richardson)

10 team redraft league

I am 7-2 Team name: Decker the Halls

Round 1: Eric Decker

Round 2: Matt Forte

Round 3: Ryan Matthews

Round 4: Brandon Marshall

Round 5: Hakeem Nicks

Round 6: Antonio Gates

Round 7: Matt Ryan

Round 8: Steven Ridley

Round 9: Reggie Wayne

Round 10: Donald Brown

Round 11: CJ Spiller

Round 12: Mike Williams

Round 13: Bills DST

Round 14: Jared Cook

Round 15: Matt Bryant

Round 16: Ramses Barden

They say anyone can draft any player in their respectable ADP round 5 or higher. It is round 6-16 that sets you apart and wins championships.

10 team redraft league

They say anyone can draft any player in their respectable ADP round 5 or higher. It is round 6-16 that sets you apart and wins championships.

Crazy how Matt Ryan fell to round 7 there with all his hype. He went round 3 in my 12 team league

Crazy how Matt Ryan fell to round 7 there with all his hype. He went round 3 in my 12 team league

Before the season started there are at least 8 quarterbacks that have higher ADP than Matt Ryan, remember this is a 10 team league. Some are homers and have mad love for some QBs. AKA VICK

6-3 (1st place/most points by 100)

Drafted 5th out of 10: DMC & DeMarco Murray

I've thrived despite the under-performance of my first two picks (and a 4th round pick of A.Hernandez that is not turning out too well), but not because of any waiver wire gems or big trades. Drafted solid receivers (Marshall, Harvin, D.Thomas, DJax, D.Moore), QB (Ryan & Big Ben), ADP (slipped to the 7th in my draft) and took a flyer on Spiller (11th round). Of course, having the Bears D doesn't hurt (but I've missed out on some of their biggest weeks when it seemed like the Seahawks had a better match-up). :wall:

Ok.. I only run 1 team every year and this year I went QB then TE with Brady and Gronk... But i just wanted to throw this in about the later picks setting apart champions... I got Tynes in the 15th round, who scores 8-15 every week. Then followed that up with James Jones in the last round.. Most rec TDs in the NFL... I am in 1st with a 7-2 record and scoring over 110 on a weekly basis. To make things even better, I got Luck in the 10th round, who plays 3 terrible pass D's in wks 14, 15 and 16, making it very easy to seal the deal on Brady for Adrian Peterson.... This has been the best fantasy year of my life... Lol

I took 4 RBs with in the first 5 rounds(had pick number 5)

I also lucked into Spiller in a later round

Foster

McFadden

Charles

Bradshaw

I'm 5-4 in this league now which doesn't sound awesome but there are 6 of the 10 teams tied with this record right now in a 10 team league.

I think one of the overlooked benefits of getting RBs early and often is their trade value through the year.

8-1

took rice and murray (then mjd)

I don't think I used murray once, played mjd until he also got hurt. I was feeling great about having solid RBs but now injuries have doomed my team after losing my picks 2-5,7

Crazier he took Decker in the 1st and the Bills in the 13th :wacko:

2 Leagues.

What's your record?

6-3

6-3

1st(12 Team)

10th(16 Team)

Foster & Mathews

Forte & Charles

9th pick - 12 team, 0.5 PPR

1. Matt Forte

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Michael Vick

4. AJ Green

5. Willis McGahee

6. DeSean Jackson

7. Pierre Garçon

8. Tony Gonzalez

9. Toby Gerhart

10. Denarius Moore

11. Kendall Hunter

12. Jonathan Dwyer

13. LeGarrette Blount

14. Patriots DST

15. Kendall Wright

16. Rob Bironas

17. Carson Palmer

6-3, 2nd in the league in points, 2 of the 3 losses came as the 2nd highest score in the league, the other came as the #4 scorer. Pretty crazy. Gambled huge on Vick and it obviously hasn't paid, Forte hasn't been quite himself but he gets the touches to be consistently strong, AP has been great, and of course AJ Green has been wonderful. Getting McGahee Round 5 was the key to everything IMO. Made a couple of moves, dealing Denarius in a trade for Torrey Smith before the season started. If anything, that move has backfired. Bottom line, having 3 guys that are probably top 10 RBs to flex one while other teams are scraping to find two startable RBs gives a huge edge if you can find it. My 2 cents.

7-2

5th pick

McCoy

Murray (traded for Rodgers)

Roddy

Doug M

Decker

Austin

Took Vick here and dropped his sorry a$$

Doing fine and very happy

Drafted McCoy and Charles in 1st and 2nd round. Im 7-11 and in 4 way tie for last spot. I can not figure out how the hell im just 7-11.

QB-Romo

RB1-McCoy

RB2-Charles

WR1-Megabust

WR2-Rody White

TE-Aaron Hernandez

FLEX-Mike Wallace

Only one did not draft was Megabust. But got him in trade with Demaryious Thomas so still had damn good team. Atleast i thought so and still think so :dunno: On bench also have Vjax

10 team redraft league

Eric Decker in the first? Eric Decker wouldnt even draft himself in the first.

Eric Decker in the first? Eric Decker wouldnt even draft himself in the first.

Im a broncos fan

I am also in first place at 7-2 with 2nd most points

Im a broncos fan

You are also if not fully, at least borderline retarded.

I've been one of those "draft a top QB proponents" for years. If you can see a guy like Ryan is in for a solid year, that's great. That's why you do your homework. I thought Gonzo was too old to contribute in the passing game too. I guess I was wrong.

There's a lot of risk with RBs. They get hurt more often. The top guys are too expensive. I did, however take Peyton Manning #2 overall about 6 years ago. 1 point from the league championship. 1 lousy point, because I started Tatum friggin Bell, who fumbled and was benched. SHANIHAN! That year my co-commish talked me into taking Bell over Frank Gore in the draft. Really it's his fault.

This year, in my $ auction leage, I drafted Aaron Rogers. He's scored a lot more points than Arian Foster, and he cost less.

I did my homework on mid-late RBs got:

McGahee, Benson, CJ Spiller and Alfred Morris for less than the Ray Rice owner spent on RR. Would you rather have those 4 guys or RR (ignoring Benson's injury)? I'd rather have those 4 guys ... and Aaron Rodgers.

Also, like I have said before, if you don't draft a top level QB, or get lucky like RG3 owners this year ... trading for one is nearly impossible.

As a matter of fact, I would say that most agree going into this year, Foster and Rice were the top 2 RBs. They still are, I would say. But QBs score more points than RBs over the course of a season, and if you can find value at RB in the draft ... it seems like a more risky proposition to take a 1st round RB. Ask the guys that drafted Run DMC, Demarco Murray and Jamal Charles in the first round if they wish they had taken Aaron Rogers instead.

It's the same kind of thing ... there were 3 top QBs all expected to do well, and they are likely still the top 3 QBs ... but to find value after that ... it's harder, than with RBs, or WRs for that matter.

Auction drafts, also, I think take a lot more skill than serpentine. Way better. If there's a guy you know you want, you can get him ... but he might cost ya. I paid a lot for A. Rodg (Brees actually went for a couple $ more, later on). I even blew a huge chunk on Greg Jennings. Should be killing me, but I'm 8-1. Might lose this week ... starting Tannehil, I think it's a good matchup. My opponent is carrying 4 QBs in an attempt to block me, but I saw this weeks ago as the fill in I wanted. Got him for $1 this week, and I can waive him right away, or try and trade him if he does awesome.

Also got Brandon Myers this week for a buck. Waived the Black Unicorn who has a bye next week. I'm hoping he is some total miracle stud that makes me have a top TE because that position has just been a wasteland this year.

But I didn't even try and bid on like, Marcel Reese. I got the 2 guys I wanted, for a buck apiece.

Value.

Plus, my opponent is starting Romo, and I have Miles Austin.

In my main league, I'm 8-1 and first in points, but I can see how this strategy wasn't beneficial for most people who went RB-RB

Foster

T-Rich

AJ Green

Cruz

Matt Ryan

Decker

Wayne

Spiller

Gonzo

D. Wilson

Floyd

A. Morris

Freeman

Cobb

Bears

Rudolph

Matt Bryant

Im a broncos fan

You got really lucky then. Once and a while these types of drafts will work out, more often than not you get burned.

I didn't. But looking at the standings, those who did are no better or worse than those who didn't. Eleven out of 12 teams are either 5-4 or 4-5. Top scoring team drafted McCoy and Peterson. But its among the 4-5s. With the way this season has been going, it's tough to make any kind of correlation. RBs are like lottery tickets. You buy a bunch of them and hope one hits.

Taking Decker in the first round...and being in first place...is the most damning evidence yet that fantasy football is 90 % luck.

You nailed that :pointstosky:

Dont care what the results are, if you draft someone 6-7 rounds earlier than have to its bad bad pick. Can only be justified by saying you don't care if you win or lose and just want your favorite players. I think it would be fair to assume that the league is a free.

You are also if not fully, at least borderline retarded.

Look at my draft 6 below. Way above their ADP... And this is a small money league my big money leagues I went 3 rbs rice-demarco-mjd. I traded demarco for roddy week 3

Taking Decker in the first round...and being in first place...is the most damning evidence yet that fantasy football is 90 % luck.

Bump that to 95% luck with Decker as 1st round pick. Look at other picks, ridiculous

That said, always go RB RB, this year decided to go QB (Brady) WR (J. Jones) WR (Welker) and got RBs later in draft Benson (6) McGahee (7) LeShure (9)

and it's worked out now 7-2

1st year I went QB 1st and it's paying off too many injuries to RB this year

McCoy/Charles

3-6. 12 team non-PPR.

Followed that up with Julio, Dez and Martin so you'd think it might get me to .500 at least? But no, I trusted Cutler and backed him up with Locker instead of Luck and also had issues at TE (Olsen/Gresham).