Sign in to follow this  
murf74

Thursday Night Curse

Someone with more time than me needs to do a study of this year....what percentage less do fantasy players score than their average output.

Gotta look as I hope none of my fantasy studs are playing Thursday games in playoffs

Agree 100%. I foolishly thought Roddy would end my TNF drought.

Brees, Roddy, Ryan, Julio, Graham totally basically shut out.

Just checked I have no starters playing thursday rest of year...live and learn for next year

I am thinking there is no real practice time for Thursday night games...they lose 3 practices where a lot of gameplan and timing is worked out.

I have seen this TNF trend bur would never bench any of those guys in this matchup

Anyone I play, tanks.

Anyone I play against, scores.

TNF is fun!!

:wall:

When your starting WR (White) and flex RB (Sproles) get doubled up by a kicker (Bryant) - bad times. I have to remember to avoid TNF players at all costs.

I'm so conflicted. Brees tanking is a gift from heaven in a league where I need a win to make the playoffs. On the flip side, in the league where I am #1 but fighting to stay there, this was a death blow. Especially when combined with the fact I also played Roddy White and Gonzalez (though to be fair Gonzo had a decent game). So sneak into the playoffs in one where I will likely not make an impact while I watch my golden team that started 8-1 likely fall to 9-4.

I tend to agree about the generally lower production, with the only glaring Thursday exception being Thanksgiving.

I have to remember to avoid TNF players at all costs.

But of course just remember, Thursday night is just great when it has none of your players. Right Patriots/Jets?

Agreed, I hate Thurs nite games and have been burned by them. Fortunately, I sat Brees tonight and will go with RG3 on Mon nite. I tried to trade RG3 earlier but fortunately no takers. NFL needs to eliminate the Thurs nite games prior to Thanksgiving.

thursday games have been fantasy black hole this year. the scoring is way down and the players that are must starts suck...

have Brees and Graham. What do I do sit them? Really hate the Thursday games...

Agreed, I hate Thurs nite games and have been burned by them. Fortunately, I sat Brees tonight and will go with RG3 on Mon nite. I tried to trade RG3 earlier but fortunately no takers. NFL needs to eliminate the Thurs nite games prior to Thanksgiving.

I went the opposite direction & it likely cost me a shot at the playoffs. Great time for Brees to end his TD streak & set a career high in picks. Thankfully that was my worst team & the others are poised for a run.

This is why I play in multiple leagues.

Agreed, I hate Thurs nite games and have been burned by them. Fortunately, I sat Brees tonight and will go with RG3 on Mon nite.

I call BS..., you NEVER sit Brees. No logic, whatsoever. Do not tell people you predicted his poor performance, and that the streak would end tonight, you will embarrass yourself.

I call BS..., you NEVER sit Brees. No logic, whatsoever. Do not tell people you predicted his poor performance, and that the streak would end tonight, you will embarrass yourself.

Not true. RGIII is the top scoring QB in my league, and another owner had the exact dilemma all year. Granted, it took him until last week to start RGIII over Brees, but I think it is reasonable to start the #1 scoring QB over the #4.

Someone with more time than me needs to do a study of this year....what percentage less do fantasy players score than their average output.

Gotta look as I hope none of my fantasy studs are playing Thursday games in playoffs

You are so right. I started Ryan, Julio and Gonzo tonight. Thank God for the TD to Gonzo because otherwise I would already be chalking up a loss. I cannot believe how inept the Falcons passing game looked tonight against a bad Saints defense.

These TNF games have been atrocious fantasy-wise.

I call BS..., you NEVER sit Brees. No logic, whatsoever. Do not tell people you predicted his poor performance tonight, and that the streak would end, you will embarrass yourself.

I fought with the RGIII over Brees start/sit but went with my 2nd round pick. I know hindsight is 20/20, but Atlanta's pass defense worried me, especially at home. Never saw a 5 interception game outta Brees, but this game essentially killed any playoff hopes his owners had that needed atleast a serviceable game out of him. This was atrocious & gonna need a LOT of help now.

I call BS..., you NEVER sit Brees. No logic, whatsoever. Do not tell people you predicted his poor performance tonight, and that the streak would end, you will embarrass yourself.

Fine I embarassed myself, however, I am in 2 leagues (sorry not 5+ as I have a social life) I have Ryan in one and Brees in another. My opponents in one have Ryan and also Brees in the other As I started Ryan in one w/my only other option was Palmer and in my league w/Brees my other option was RG3. Weird situation, but I figured I would bank on perhaps a higher upside in a PPR w/RG3. Add to the fact I have been burned by Thurs nite games in the past. No I did not predict nor thought Brees would have this kind of nite, but I gambled RG3 might (with his running ability & having Garcon back) match or exceed what Brees would do tonite. I could have been wrong, but was fortunately right tonite at least.

Not true. RGIII is the top scoring QB in my league, and another owner had the exact dilemma all year. Granted, it took him until last week to start RGIII over Brees, but I think it is reasonable to start the #1 scoring QB over the #4.

If at week #13, one still has the #1 and #4 scoring QBs, then I would suggest you are NOT a very good team manager. One of the two should have been shipped months ago... But then again, I am sure you are also the guy who thinks he is "stacked" and has no reason to address team needs.

I'm not sure how or why the players union accepted a situation where there are so many games with guys having to play on 3 days rest, especially considering how they fought the 18 game season that some owners wanted. Although I can imagine there was lots of cash involved (there always is when something this stupid is allowed). The games have been almost uniformly ugly and the lack of rest and preparation for teams has been evident.

According to the number crunchers at SportingCharts.com, of the 67 Thursday games played since 2002 to Sept. 2012, the average total combined score for these games is 42 points. Over the same period, there have been 2,668 NFL games played. The average total combined scores of these games is just over 43 points.

There are repeated references to a Thursday night "home team advantage." Sports writers seem to base this on the notion that the visiting team loses one of those three short-week prep days to travel.

The Minneapolis Star Trib's Sid Hartman wrote on Oct. 26 that "since the NFL Network's Thursday night game became a weekly feature this season, only one road team had managed a victory -- the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants beat a weak Carolina Panthers squad 36-7 in Week 3." This was after Tampa's Doug Martin racked up 214 total yards and a few dozen TDs against the Vikings in that 36-7 Thursday night road win. The Bucs put together a total of 416 offensive yards against the 7-point favorite Vikes.

If a one point difference defines a "curse," then Thursday night games are cursed. Unless you were a Doug Martin owner that night.

If at week #13, one still has the #1 and #4 scoring QBs, then I would suggest you are NOT a very good team manager. One of the two should have been shipped months ago... But then again, I am sure you are also the guy who thinks he is "stacked" and has no reason to address team needs.

I would suggest you are right to a point. Our league does not trade much, and the RGIII/BRees owner tried repeatedly to trade, but something didn't work out. I don't know what he tried, or what the reasons were for not moving one of the two. I have no idea since I am a Brady owner. My guess is that he didn't get enough perceived value in return for a position where there is only one starter from a position of need, where there were 2 (he was looking for a RB or WR).

If at week #13, one still has the #1 and #4 scoring QBs, then I would suggest you are NOT a very good team manager. One of the two should have been shipped months ago...

Maybe. But until the NFL decides to mandate two-hand touch for QBs, they'll likely continue to be carted from the field with some regularity. Having a top 5 QB and a ton of points on the bench is frustrating, especially when the faces of your WRs and RBs are beginning to turn up on milk cartons. But their insurance value, plus the spot play flexibility these two QBs give you, isn't a minor consideration. You also need to be in a situation where you have three or four teams really loaded at other positions, but find themselves scraping the bottom of the QB waiver wire every week.

We have an owner with three top-10 WRs (we can only use two). His QB might as well be in the witness protection program. He's losing points, I'm losing points. On paper, it's a no-brainer. Unfortunately, so is he. No deal. Ain't as easy as it might seem.

According to the number crunchers at SportingCharts.com, of the 67 Thursday games played since 2002 to Sept. 2012, the average total combined score for these games is 42 points. Over the same period, there have been 2,668 NFL games played. The average total combined scores of these games is just over 43 points.

I'm assuming those numbers include about 20 Thanksgiving games, which seem to buck the trend and be high scoring games (as we saw again this year with over 200 points scored in 3 games). I wonder how the numbers change if you remove the Thanksgiving games from the equation. Besides, total points scored is not always the best indicator of the quality of the game. I've seen 17-14 games that were beautifully played and I've seen 37-27 games that were turnover and penalty filled slopfests.

I'm assuming those numbers include about 20 Thanksgiving games, which seem to buck the trend and be high scoring games (as we saw again this year with over 200 points scored in 3 games). I wonder how the numbers change if you remove the Thanksgiving games from the equation. Besides, total points scored is not always the best indicator of the quality of the game. I've seen 17-14 games that were beautifully played and I've seen 37-27 games that were turnover and penalty filled slopfests.

Not sure the numbers show anything. From a FF perspective, a beautifully played 17-14 game could be a FF disaster while the 37-27 slopfest could make an owner's week. Personally, if I can avoid a Thursday night game, I will. No good reason, just do.

um bro. weve been on this all season long. where have you been?

only safe starts are dsts and kickers.

+1 I just had Bryant for the Falcons get me 12 points. :doublethumbsup:

in my league one guy had falcons d got 5 points, the other guy started graham and ryan who scored a total of 4 combined

Not sure the numbers show anything. From a FF perspective, a beautifully played 17-14 game could be a FF disaster while the 37-27 slopfest could make an owner's week. Personally, if I can avoid a Thursday night game, I will. No good reason, just do.

Point is, total points scored is not a be-all indicator of whether marquis players produced in a game.

I thought Thursday games would b awesome this year as a football fan but as a ff guy they have sucked however I don't see Thursday games going away. The NFL has got revenue and the cable channels have got they're subscribers so unfortunately for us ff guys I think Thursday games are going to stay along with the lack of production they bring with the guys that play om Thursdays. Something to think about for the future