Sign in to follow this  
Natetradomus

Alexis Smith future

Trade or released? Any chance we are able to get a draft pick for this bum? Would be great if we can get a 3rd or 4th for him. For all that money he made, he didn't do didly squat. I'm not fooled by his qb rating the last couple of years and us making it to the nfc championship game last year, but maybe other teams are and will be willing to pay. It sounds like he'll just be released though. Would you want any of your teams making a trade for him? Jets fan? Jagoff fan? Az?

Per Rotoworld:

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat believes it's "more realistic" the 49ers work with Alex Smith on finding a trade partner than granting him his outright release.With nearly a third of the league in the market for a quarterback, we agree. The 49ers will likely try to do right by Smith after unceremoniously benching him following his November concussion, but releasing him would make little sense when they could probably net at least a fourth- or fifth-round pick. Smith won't be more than a stop-gap option wherever he ends up, but interest in his services should be robust. Jan 28 - 1:44 PM

Per Rotoworld:

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat believes it's "more realistic" the 49ers work with Alex Smith on finding a trade partner than granting him his outright release.With nearly a third of the league in the market for a quarterback, we agree. The 49ers will likely try to do right by Smith after unceremoniously benching him following his November concussion, but releasing him would make little sense when they could probably net at least a fourth- or fifth-round pick. Smith won't be more than a stop-gap option wherever he ends up, but interest in his services should be robust. Jan 28 - 1:44 PM

I agree here. They should be able to get at least a 5th but hopefully a 4th. Teams that come to mind that could use his services are the Chiefs & Cardinals mostly. Possibly the Jags,Miami(let Tannehill learn a bit if they get a legit WR1), maybe Philly or even the Titans. Point is will any of these teams wanna bite on a trade. I know these teams hope they release him but no guarantee they'll get him unless they DO trade. Like I said, will probably end up with a 5th round pick but maybe we get lucky and get a 4th.

Scratch Arizona. Yeah, even though He's not a stud I don't think Harbaugh wants to trade him to a team in the same division.

Aside from Matt Flynn and maybe Flacco (if he makes it to FA, which is won't), Alex Smith is the best QB option. Every QB after him is a HUGE drop off. You want Quinn? Campbell? Pass.

Throw in the fact that there are no 1st round talents in the QB draft class this year.

Alex Smith should get at least a 4th rounder. If Baalke really want to shop Smith around hard, and using things like his previous 2 season's stats as a sales pitch, I could see someone coughing up a 3rd rounder for him.

i mentioned this in a previous thread that a place like kc makes perfect sense. reid has proven to have done much more with less and kc does have some basic tools in place with charles, the moeaki and bowe if they can convince him to stay. KC has doesnt have much else to plan on so I would be fine giving up a 4th or a 3rd to get smith for the next 5 or 6 years or so.

Aside from Matt Flynn and maybe Flacco (if he makes it to FA, which is won't), Alex Smith is the best QB option. Every QB after him is a HUGE drop off. You want Quinn? Campbell? Pass.

Throw in the fact that there are no 1st round talents in the QB draft class this year.

Alex Smith should get at least a 4th rounder. If Baalke really want to shop Smith around hard, and using things like his previous 2 season's stats as a sales pitch, I could see someone coughing up a 3rd rounder for him.

:thumbsup:

I agree here. They should be able to get at least a 5th but hopefully a 4th. Teams that come to mind that could use his services are the Chiefs & Cardinals mostly. Possibly the Jags,Miami(let Tannehill learn a bit if they get a legit WR1), maybe Philly or even the Titans. Point is will any of these teams wanna bite on a trade. I know these teams hope they release him but no guarantee they'll get him unless they DO trade. Like I said, will probably end up with a 5th round pick but maybe we get lucky and get a 4th.

Cardinals are in QB hell but are not options for both Flynn and Smith for the same reason. Teams don't trade players -especially QBs with their in-depth knowledge of the workings of the offense- to division rivals.

Cardinals are in QB hell but are not options for both Flynn and Smith for the same reason. Teams don't trade players -especially QBs with their in-depth knowledge of the workings of the offense- to division rivals.

Unless your coach/decision maker is Andy Reid.

Alex Smith sucked for the 1st 5 years of his career, after beind drafted #1 overall.

Without Harbaugh he'd probably be out of the NFL.

He's not good. He played terribly against the Giants last year. Go back and watch the game.

Unless Harbaugh is going with him, no thanks. He's going to end up on a crap team, with a crap coach.

Alex Smith sucked for the 1st 5 years of his career, after beind drafted #1 overall.

He's not good. He played terribly against the Giants last year. Go back and watch the game.

Unless Harbaugh is going with him, no thanks. He's going to end up on a crap team, with a crap coach.

Keep this on the down low in case someone is truly willing to give a 4th rounder for his sorry ass............

Much appreciated..............

Keep this on the down low in case someone is truly willing to give a 4th rounder for his sorry ass............

Much appreciated..............

This.

There is a reason why Niners fans have absolutely no problem letting him go.

And the team that picks him up as their starting QB, the Niners fans will be whispering "dumbasses" to.

You're probably right, but fortunately for the Niners, people have short memories.

This.

There is a reason why Niners fans have absolutely no problem letting him go.

And the team that picks him up as their starting QB, the Niners fans will be whispering "dumbasses" to.

Do you really think the Jets would be dumbasses for giving up a 5th or maybe 6th round pick for him? He's Dan Marino compared to Mark Sanchez.

Do you really think the Jets would be dumbasses for giving up a 5th or maybe 6th round pick for him? He's Dan Marino compared to Mark Sanchez.

The Jets suck. Sanchez is better than Alex Smith and that's no lie.

Unless Alex Smith goes to a good team with a great coach, he's focked. He's just not that good.

I never really believed Smith was the 49ers future from the day they got him. I'd be happy to get what we can for him of course the last couple of years may boost his stock a little so management needs to work their magic and get the best deal they can for him. I'd always cringe when knowing Smith would be the starter for any season even after going to the NFC title game last year. He's nothing more than a serviceable QB & maybe a tad better if you got studs around him. No studs on the team he'll suck. Yet I agree KC would probably be the best landing spot for him if they can keep Bowe. He could have moderate success there though I still wouldn't start him on my fantasy team period.

Thank you, its like one very solid season erased an entire career of clueless sucktitude. Any team dealing for him as starter will have a very disappointing 2013.

Roll the dice on Flynn.

Didn't the guy have 6 or 7 OC's until Harbaugh arrived? Can't we attribute some of his past suckiness to that ridiculous amount of instability? I don't think he's the fearless gunslinger that Harbaugh desired, which is why he got the hook, but he is a smart QB who has made some solid decisions with the ball the past two (well one and a half) seasons under the proper offensive coaching. Put a solid offensive cast around him like Belichick does with Brady, and you might have a winning QB for many years to come.

I always felt bad for Smith jumping from OC to OC. It just seems like you are really stacking the odds against a young QB when he has to learn a new playbook year after year. How does he ever settle in and reach his potential?

Just thinking of the top QBs in the league, it seems they've all been in very stable offenses. Brees obviously changed when he left SD, but I would be interested in knowing how many different offenses the consensus top QBs have had to learn.

To Alex's credit:

- He is a very very good sport. With so much hate coming from Niners fans the last 6-7 season, he kept quiet and did the best he could.

- He is handling this situation of being released or traded very well. Keeping quiet, not demanding everything, and letting others be the main story of super bowl week.

- That playoff win vs the Saints last season was the best Niners game I've seen for over 10 years.

However:- In his 80 games, Alex Smith passed over 300 yards 3 times.

- His success the last 2 seasons was because of Harbaugh, who brought a 6-10 team with barely any roster changes to a 13-3 record.

- The only reason he did well last season was because Harbaugh drew him a "play to not lose" game plan every week.

I wish him luck in the future, but let's just say I would never consider him for my fantasy team, no matter where he goes.

Donovan McNabb anyone? Unfortunately he didn't have any knowledge of either the Eagles or Redskins offensive schemes.

Jets Receive

A. Smith

2nd Round Pick

49ers Receive

D. Revis

:lock:

And if Revis walks after one year, the 49ers get a 3rd round compensatory pick out of it. :thumbsup:

Jets Receive

A. Smith

2nd Round Pick

49ers Receive

D. Revis

And if Revis walks after one year, the 49ers get a 3rd round compensatory pick out of it. :thumbsup:

Yes please.

Dilfer: Andy Reid 'courted' Alex Smith in '12 According to ESPN's Trent Dilfer, new Chiefs coach Andy Reid "courted" Alex Smith last offseason.

"There was a courtship last year, to a certain degree," Dilfer said. "I don't know a whole lot. I just know there was a courtship. It was not even an inside source, you know what I mean? It was just kind of the scuttle in the offseason." Dilfer and Smith are close friends from their days as teammates in 2006-07, and Smith was available on the 2012 free agent market for roughly a week before signing a three-year, $24 million deal to stay in San Francisco. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Chiefs were one of the teams already showing interest in Smith. The tea leaves suggest Kansas City is the early favorite to land Smith via trade, likely for a middle-round pick. Source: San Francisco Chronicle Jan 31 - 8:02 PM

I always felt bad for Smith jumping from OC to OC. It just seems like you are really stacking the odds against a young QB when he has to learn a new playbook year after year. How does he ever settle in and reach his potential?

Just thinking of the top QBs in the league, it seems they've all been in very stable offenses. Brees obviously changed when he left SD, but I would be interested in knowing how many different offenses the consensus top QBs have had to learn.

Alex Smith does deserve his fair share of the blame as far as why he didn't develop into a franchise QB in SF. However, the organization also deserves its fair share of blame as well with changing offensive coordinators practically every year up until 2 years ago not to mention the number of head coaches that he had during his time as well. I believe you can't change systems every single year and expect to have a ton of success, it just doesn't happen that way.

I hope he gets his ring on Sunday and then he will be leaving the 49ers to go start somewhere else. He's been a class act and I wish him well in the future.

I think the Chiefs make the most sense. There is no Luck or RG3 in this draft; why use the top pick on Geno Smith? They are better off taking Joeckel and acquiring a stopgap like Smith. JMO

I think the Chiefs make the most sense. There is no Luck or RG3 in this draft; why use the top pick on Geno Smith? They are better off taking Joeckel and acquiring a stopgap like Smith. JMO

I don't think Alex Smith is any better than Matt Cassell, for real. I agree with not taking Geno Smith though. Trade that pick ASAP

San Francisco will not drop Alex Smith.

He is the best trade value of any veteran QB in the league that could realistically be traded.

None of this years FA are worth more than a #3 spot.

Only competition he would have from a trade standpoint might be Romo or backup Matt Flynn.

Biggest trade value this offseason might be Percy Harvin. I do not believe it is true. I think it is just media hype. Those lazy sons of...

Which teams could be in the hunt?

1. AZ Cardinals - depth

2. Jacksonville

3. MN Vikings - give Ponder another year or two

4. NY Jets

5. KC Chiefs

I don't think Alex Smith is any better than Matt Cassell, for real. I agree with not taking Geno Smith though. Trade that pick ASAP

Smith may be mediocre, but Cassell is downright terrible.

Maybe not, but I don't think Smith goes anywhere as "the" starter; I think at best he goes somewhere for an honest competition. KC seems like such a place; AZ as well -- have him and Kolb fight it out, drop Skelton, keep Lindley for development potential, and take a top OL guy with their first rounder.

Jets Receive

A. Smith

2nd Round Pick

49ers Receive

D. Revis

I'd be ok with this as long as they don't give Revis money like they did Nate Clements when they screwed that deal up. I believe the Jets already think they can win more with Smith rather than Sanchez. Yet what will they do with him? Backup, release? How much of a cap hit would they take to relase Sanchez?