Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

The Kevin Kolb era begins in Buffalo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156120/article/kevin-kolb-agrees-to-contract-with-buffalo-bills

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reported that Kolb agreed to a two-year contract worth up to a maximum of $13 million. Those financials suggest the Bills view Kolb -- and nobody else -- as the starter heading into offseason activities. With Kolb amassing roughly $36 million over his first six seasons in the league, the man -- if nothing else -- knows how to play the system

Makes sense. Although cheap for a starting QB, still too much for Kevin Kolb. But they had to do something, this is clearly the best they could do, maybe had to sweeten it a bit to outbid the Jets and Oakland who have no money.

I think the Bills are still in the running to draft a quarterback high in the draft. Kolb can't stay on the field, and honestly if anyone can't beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick... then they definitely aren't a capable NFL backup

What an era it'll be. Hopefully for the Bills franchise sake they can keep him alive behind a much better offensive line than he had in Arizona. But like Adam Caplan said, this guy has parlayed a few good starts into a lot of money. Jamarcus Russell must be smiling somewhere slurping down some sizzurup.

Kolb is a good guy and I wish him success. I also think he's a career backup. But probably better than Fitzpatrick, especially at a much more reasonable price tag.

Looks like a decent short term fix. It will be interesting to see what they do in the draft.

Reminds me of Bubby Brister type of Qb

Amazing how the NFL pays players, especially QBs, so much for doing almost nothing.

Kolb, Flynn, ....

Kolb is a good guy and I wish him success. I also think he's a career backup. But probably better than Fitzpatrick, especially at a much more reasonable price tag.

I'm happy for him as well. I'm in the minority who thinks he got a bit of a bum wrap here in AZ. He was 4-1 last year before he went out, and his injury was ribs separated from his sternum when a very large man landed on him the wrong way. The year before that he had a concussion. Does that make him injury prone? IMO no, not like a guy like McFadden or Bradshaw who have chronic foot problems.

That being said, he was given every opportunity to take over the team and didn't do it. He lost the camp battle to Skelton last year. It appears there is something about him that just doesn't inspire those around him. I think it was time for both sides to cut ties and move on.

I think the Bills are still in the running to draft a quarterback high in the draft. Kolb can't stay on the field, and honestly if anyone can't beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick... then they definitely aren't a capable NFL backup

Agreed. Kolb is a stopgap while they draft and groom a QB.

I'm happy for him as well. I'm in the minority who thinks he got a bit of a bum wrap here in AZ. He was 4-1 last year before he went out, and his injury was ribs separated from his sternum when a very large man landed on him the wrong way. The year before that he had a concussion. Does that make him injury prone? IMO no, not like a guy like McFadden or Bradshaw who have chronic foot problems.

That being said, he was given every opportunity to take over the team and didn't do it. He lost the camp battle to Skelton last year. It appears there is something about him that just doesn't inspire those around him. I think it was time for both sides to cut ties and move on.

Nothing about Kolb really stands out football wise. His arm and mobility are just OK. His decision making and pocket awareness are poor and always have been. He's a turnover machine.

Always said the right things and handled himself with class so I really do wish him well. But if the Bills are smart they will draft his heir this year.

Good assessment of the Kolb Error in AZ. :thumbsup:

Looks like a decent short term fix. It will be interesting to see what they do in the draft.

I think they realized Geno Smith probably won't be there at 8, so now they'll use their second round pick on someone like Manuel or Nassib. That's my guess.

Amazing how the NFL pays players, especially QBs, so much for doing almost nothing.

Kolb, Flynn, ....

romo

I think they realized Geno Smith probably won't be there at 8, so now they'll use their second round pick on someone like Manuel or Nassib. That's my guess.

I think they know Geno Smith will be there at 8 but they don't like him much and would rather go QB in round 2. Probably Nassib. I would hope most of the Kolb contract is incentives and little guaranteed, especially in year 2. It says maximum $13 mil but doesn't tell us the minimum. He'll be penciled in as the starter and let them take a more sure thing with pick # 8 but I doubt the Bills/Kolb era will last long.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tarvaris Jackson, and Kevin Kolb are taking up 20 million dollars of the Bills' cap space. :doh:

Epic fail here, fitz is the best of the bunch. Kolb is utter trash like ive been saying for years since philly and despite the fan club when he took over. Also never underestimate the power of tarvaris to make a coach fall in love. Iv never seen a worse qb have such an influence over a coach. In Minny they had to pry tjax away from that coach and there were reports earlier that he was the fav to start in buff. I just have no idea how this is possible.

I think Fitzpatrick was better than Kolb too. But we still really don't know what Kolb can do, Arizona's O-line might have been the worst in the NFL in several decades.

Still you have to wonder if Kolb is going to be able to function at all or will he be like David Carr was and just a jittery, shell shocked mess (that said Carr tried for several years, Kolb only endured it for half a season).

I think Fitzpatrick was better than Kolb too. But we still really don't know what Kolb can do, Arizona's O-line might have been the worst in the NFL in several decades.

Still you have to wonder if Kolb is going to be able to function at all or will he be like David Carr was and just a jittery, shell shocked mess (that said Carr tried for several years, Kolb only endured it for half a season).

Kolb was concussed in Philly, then again in 2011 in AZ. Having watched his every game as a pro, along with probably a dozen of his college games, I felt early in 2012 that he had already fallen into the David Carr shell shocked realm. That was BEFORE he took a beating for the ages behind the Five Blocks of Styrofoam last season.

I don't see things ending well for him.

Is there any precedent for a QB like Kolb, who's been around for a bit and had mutiple opportunities, to suddenly bust out at this point in his career? Kurt Warner was a late bloomer but he didn't take the abuse that Kolb has. Maybe Bubby Brister? Jake Plummer? Those are the only guys coming immediately to mind.

It would seem that Kolb would need to be going to a pretty good team to have any chance of suddenly blossoming into a good QB at this point in his career. Buffalo...well, you know.

Is there any precedent for a QB like Kolb, who's been around for a bit and had mutiple opportunities, to suddenly bust out at this point in his career? Kurt Warner was a late bloomer but he didn't take the abuse that Kolb has. Maybe Bubby Brister? Jake Plummer? Those are the only guys coming immediately to mind.

It would seem that Kolb would need to be going to a pretty good team to have any chance of suddenly blossoming into a good QB at this point in his career. Buffalo...well, you know.

Fitzpatrick got passed around some before breaking out in Buffalo. Also, Rich Gannon in Oakland.

Fitzpatrick got passed around some before breaking out in Buffalo. Also, Rich Gannon in Oakland.

Fitzpatrick had a run of about six or seven good games. I wouldn't count him.

But Gannon is a very good example. Of course that Raiders team he joined was pretty darn good though, wasn't it? I don't know of he would've broken out going to a team like today's Buffalo Bills.

I think you guys are taking this too much at face value.

Kolb is filler until a rookie QB can start.

And if the rook can't start right away like Russell Wilson, then the Kolb contract should be heavily incentive-laden to get anywhere near the max value.

Gannon had above average mobility and meshed well with a future star of a coach. My opinion of Kolb is high in the respect that he seems to know his limitations and plays well within them. I just don't see the intangibles that will separate him from the rest of the middle of the pack. Marrone might be good, who knows.

And if the rook can't start right away like Russell Wilson, then the Kolb contract should be heavily incentive-laden to get anywhere near the max value.

So do you figure they take Nassib in the 2nd?

I'm interested in what you think Kolb's arrival in BUF will do to Stevie's value.

Is he going to be better or worse or about the same?

I'm interested in what you think Kolb's arrival in BUF will do to Stevie's value.

Is he going to be better or worse or about the same?

I am too. I would rather him almost be with Fitz again b/c that is known commodity. New coach plus new qb shakes things up.

In the end probably 75-1,050-7 like he's always done.

Accumulating mediocre qbs is not a blueprint for success.

A source tells ProFootballTalk.com that Kevin Kolb's two-year contract with the Bills only guarantees him $1M and has a base worth of $6.1M over the 2 years.

Kolb's deal was originally reported as a two-year, $13M contract. But per PFT, $6.9M of that "is tied up in escalators and incentives and other factors that likely require him to actually play — and play well — to get the money." Kolb is the favorite to win the starting job ahead of Tarvaris Jackson and a draft pick (Ryan Nassib?), but his contract is backup caliber. The Bills can get off nearly scot-free if they end up cutting him.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com Apr 9 - 12:01 PM

Yeah I think Kolb is a stop gap QB until they find a rookie. The issue with that is that I'm not sure any in this class are gonna be ready to start next season.

Radio reports yesterday said the contract is structured so that, if Buffalo cuts him in camp, they owe him $1M. If he makes the roster, the cap hit is $2.1.

Everything else is HEAVILY incentive laden.

That's a backup contract. I think the only question now is if they take Nassib in the first or try to wait for the second.

Meanwhile, AZ takes a $6M cap hit this year and still doesn't have a their franchise QB. The miraculous run with Warner and subsequent QB/OL injuries kind of obscured it for a while, but that is one horribly run franchise.