Sign in to follow this  
Recliner Pilot

Lebron James fined $5000 for flopping.

I have never stated Lebron never flops, I have stated he doesn't flop any more or less than almost any other NBA player. HTH

And actually the league handed down several fines and foul changes. 1 on the Heat and 3 on the Pacers.

MIAMI -- The NBA handed down a flurry of discipline for flopping and flagrant fouls from Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals, including a $5,000 fine to LeBron James.

Both James and David West were fined $5,000 for flopping on the same play from the fourth quarter of the Indiana Pacers' win over the Miami Heat on Tuesday. West was fighting for position on the play, and both recoiled when there was contact in the lane.

"We accept it," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said Thursday morning. "We don't want the attention and the focus to be on the officiating. We want it to be on the competition, which is a great series. Our focus is taking business at home (in Game 5)."

Earlier this week, James said there was a strategic advantage to flopping.

"Some guys have been doing it for years, just trying to get an advantage," James said Monday. "Any way you can get an advantage over the opponent to help your team win, so be it."

It furthered a tough night for James, who was called for six fouls plus a technical. The league also handed down a $5,000 fine for flopping to the Pacers' Lance Stephenson for exaggerating contact against Ray Allen in the first quarter of Game 4.

In addition, a West foul in the fourth quarter on Dwyane Wade has been upgraded to a flagrant-1 foul. It marked the third time in the series the NBA has upgraded a foul to a flagrant after a game. The Pacers' 99-92 victory Tuesday, which tied the series, was filled with such plays and marked by a combined 55 personal fouls.

The Pacers had 2 guys fined for flopping and one foul upgraded to flagrant that wasn't in the game. Pacers 3 Heat 1. Yet the Heat are the floppers and dirty players huh?

Let's make Lebron fish and sell 'em on Ebay!

Put a little fro on it ... make it say, "Dat was a foul!"

Come on KSB, they basically started the flop rule for lebron

Someone in my poker room recently said he was best all time ... I said Jordan .... hands down.

Best ever? No way ... not even close. Could he beat up Manute Bole in a boxing ring ... prolly. Doesn;t make him the best ever.

Fining players for flopping is a masturbatory exercise for fans and message boards, and will do nothing to address the issue.

A few years ago, the point of emphasis was the player's demonstrative protests of foul calls. Not what we see today. The run to midcourt with the ball under my arm, point at the replay board, put on a show for the crowd kind. The league began assessing technicals for anything remotely fitting that description and it rarely happens anymore.Players still gripe, but it's not of the Broadway production variety that it used to be.

I'm not suggesting technicals for flopping. Much too arbitrary a decision to make in a split second, and the last thing we need is the 3 Blind Mice watching more tv replays. If it's not a foul, don't call it, and let play go on. Enough guys lay there while teams get a 5 on 4 runout and it'll fix itself.

Same with the traveling issue which has been discussed ad nauseum. Call it by the rules. Don't give people the inane "yeah, it's a travel, but they don't call it" excuse. Believe it or not, there is less palming of the ball now then when they made that a point of emphasis several years ago (an Iverson rule).

It won't happen overnight, but a concerted effort to call the game correctly will alleviate most problems.

A monetary fine is just a joke in this case and is no deterrent. Unless they have a graduated scale where say, three offenses is a one game suspension or something. I dont know the rule completely.

Seriously though, Lebron wipes his azz with 5 grand. 10 grand if he ate at White Castle the day before.

Fining players for flopping is a masturbatory exercise for fans and message boards, and will do nothing to address the issue.

A few years ago, the point of emphasis was the player's demonstrative protests of foul calls. Not what we see today. The run to midcourt with the ball under my arm, point at the replay board, put on a show for the crowd kind. The league began assessing technicals for anything remotely fitting that description and it rarely happens anymore.Players still gripe, but it's not of the Broadway production variety that it used to be.

I'm not suggesting technicals for flopping. Much too arbitrary a decision to make in a split second, and the last thing we need is the 3 Blind Mice watching more tv replays. If it's not a foul, don't call it, and let play go on. Enough guys lay there while teams get a 5 on 4 runout and it'll fix itself.

Same with the traveling issue which has been discussed ad nauseum. Call it by the rules. Don't give people the inane "yeah, it's a travel, but they don't call it" excuse. Believe it or not, there is less palming of the ball now then when they made that a point of emphasis several years ago (an Iverson rule).

It won't happen overnight, but a concerted effort to call the game correctly will alleviate most problems.

I agree here. And how bad is it to start now all the sudden with a change like this? This is like a fantasy football commish changing it to PPR midseason. You don't make fine and rule changes mid season. :thumbsdown:

I agree here. And how bad is it to start now all the sudden with a change like this? This is like a fantasy football commish changing it to PPR midseason. You don't make fine and rule changes mid season. :thumbsdown:

Didn't they fine a couple guys during the regular season for flopping? I seem to recall Barea, the little guy that used to be in dal, getting fined.

Just stop giving the call to any player who wildly exagerates a response, even if it was arguably a foul. It's that easy. They'll stop flopping if it no longer works and might actually be to their detriment.

Didn't they fine a couple guys during the regular season for flopping? I seem to recall Barea, the little guy that used to be in dal, getting fined.

Not sure maybe they did. :dunno:

Just seems a bit to arbritary to me.

I don't like flopping as much as anybody. The most egregious of them like James Harden, Ginobli (actually most Euros), Lance Stevenson, Derek Fischer etc are the worst in my opinon.

If the league wants to curb flopping then simply don't call a foul or maybe even have a rule where if you purposefully flop and its obvious its a foul on the flopper. Sort of like 'diving' in Hockey or Soccer where you get a penalty.

But a 5K fine from the league is just politics at this point. To arbritary. Tony Allen for the Grizzlies had one of the worst flops I've ever seen the other night and he wasn't fined. Why? Because he's Tony Allen.

Which is the equivalent to about $12.50 for any one of us.

Yeah but now he has to go to the bank to break a $10,000 dollar bill.

I don't like flopping as much as anybody. The most egregious of them like James Harden, Ginobli (actually most Euros), Lance Stevenson, Derek Fischer etc are the worst in my opinon.

I think Barea and rubio are bad as well, although with Rubio it could just be his hair all flying all over that makes it look bad.

BTW, Ginobli is from Argentina, but he is as bad if not worse than the Eurofloppers.

I just saw somewhere twitter maybe, that Lebeon made something in the range of $4865.00 per minute played this year......

Not sure maybe they did. :dunno:

Just seems a bit to arbritary to me.

But a 5K fine from the league is just politics at this point. To arbritary. Tony Allen for the Grizzlies had one of the worst flops I've ever seen the other night and he wasn't fined. Why? Because he's Tony Allen.

Yes, he is. The same Tony Allen that was fined the same $5000 for the flop in question.

Face it. If it involves Miami you lack the ability to be objective about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/05/24/nba-fines-grizzlies-g-tony-allen-5000-for-flopping-after-flagrant-foul-in-game/

Yes, he is. The same Tony Allen that was fined the same $5000 for the flop in question.

Face it. If it involves Miami you lack the ability to be objective about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/05/24/nba-fines-grizzlies-g-tony-allen-5000-for-flopping-after-flagrant-foul-in-game/

Well good, I was wrong.

See I can amit it when I'm wrong. Seems to be something most can't on this board. :thumbsup:

Just stop giving the call to any player who wildly exagerates a response, even if it was arguably a foul. It's that easy. They'll stop flopping if it no longer works and might actually be to their detriment.

Go one step further - call an offensive foul for flopping. But that will never happen in David Stern's NBA.

Come on KSB, they basically started the flop rule for lebron

Vlade Divac was the master of it...

I was unaware of the new fine rule for flopping this season. Here is a list:

Players Warned and Fined for Flopping in 2012-13

Player Flops Most recent C.J. Watson, Nets Warning Jan. 23, at Timberwolves Kevin Martin, Thunder 2nd Jan. 20, at Nuggets J.J. Barea, Timberwolves 2nd Jan. 14, at Mavericks Tony Parker, Spurs Warning Dec. 28, vs. Rockets Royal Ivey, 76ers Warning Dec. 26, at Grizzlies Gustave Ayon, Magic Warning Dec. 26, vs Hornets Omer Asik, Rockets Warning Dec. 10, vs Spurs Zaza Pachulia, Hawks Warning Dec. 7, vs. Wizards Chauncey Billups, Clippers Warning Dec. 3, at Jazz Gerald Wallace, Nets 2nd Dec. 1, at Heat Patrick Patterson, Rockets Warning Nov. 23, vs. Knicks Reggie Evans, Nets 2nd Nov. 20, at Lakers Donald Sloan, Cavaliers Warning Nov. 2, vs. Bulls

Looks like this is LeBrons first. I thought he was the king of flop and the rule was made just for him though?

He is the king of flopping, that's why he is always commenting on it. Nobody has ever asked me repeatedly about focking an alligator because I don't fock alligators.

Do a search on YouTube, there are thousands of examples

I was unaware of the new fine rule for flopping this season. Here is a list:

Players Warned and Fined for Flopping in 2012-13

Player Flops Most recent C.J. Watson, Nets Warning Jan. 23, at Timberwolves Kevin Martin, Thunder 2nd Jan. 20, at Nuggets J.J. Barea, Timberwolves 2nd Jan. 14, at Mavericks Tony Parker, Spurs Warning Dec. 28, vs. Rockets Royal Ivey, 76ers Warning Dec. 26, at Grizzlies Gustave Ayon, Magic Warning Dec. 26, vs Hornets Omer Asik, Rockets Warning Dec. 10, vs Spurs Zaza Pachulia, Hawks Warning Dec. 7, vs. Wizards Chauncey Billups, Clippers Warning Dec. 3, at Jazz Gerald Wallace, Nets 2nd Dec. 1, at Heat Patrick Patterson, Rockets Warning Nov. 23, vs. Knicks Reggie Evans, Nets 2nd Nov. 20, at Lakers Donald Sloan, Cavaliers Warning Nov. 2, vs. Bulls

Looks like this is LeBrons first. I thought he was the king of flop and the rule was made just for him though?

I thought it was too arbitrary to just fine to Lebron. :dunno:

He is the king of flopping, that's why he is always commenting on it. Nobody has ever asked me repeatedly about focking an alligator because I don't fock alligators.

Do a search on YouTube, there are thousands of examples

He was asked about flopping by a reporter because Lebron is asked the most about everything in the NBA. He gets the most attention. He gets the most questions asked about anyting...period. Because you get the most attention doesn't mean you flops the most. Facts versus Perception.

In fact in that flopping article where James made the comment, Roy Hibbert was asked the same question and gave the same answer as LeBron. But Hibberts comment wasn't the healdline or talked about, even though he agreed.

Just look at this thread title for example. Lebron James, David West, and Lance Stevenson all were fined. And David West's foul on Wade was upgraded to a flagrant foul. That is the actual healdine of what happened today. But you won't hear about all that, all you will hear and all people will type is LEBRON JAMES FINED FOR FLOPPING!@#!.

When LeBrons flops it get all the attention, then of course people think he does it the most. Add in some confirmation bias on top. He doesn't do it the most, his just get examined, broken down, whined about, put on youtube the most.

I don't condone anyone flopping, but just have some perspective and don't get caught up in the hype. :thumbsup:

I thought it was too arbitrary to just fine to Lebron. :dunno:

Did you miss the post where I said I was wrong, and was unaware they had this new rule for fines? I even bolded the 'I was wrong' part.

Did you miss the post where I said I was wrong, and was unaware they had this new rule for fines? I even bolded the 'I was wrong' part.

You're right. Just breaking your stones at this point. :cheers:

Well good, I was wrong.

See I can amit it when I'm wrong. Seems to be something most can't on this board. :thumbsup:

FYI---The NBA regulated flopping starting in the 2012–13 season. Any player who flops during the regular-season game would first be warned, followed by fines in increments of $5,000 for each successive flop during the season. The fines would increase to $30,000 for a fifth offense, when a suspension would also be considered.[2] In the playoffs, players are fined $5,000 for their first flopping offense, $10,000 for a second, $15,000 for a third, and $30,000 for a fourth. Any player who flops five or more times could be suspended.[3]

I don't know if Lebron is worst flopper but he is the worst actor. Am I the only one that remembers his flops from last year and the yerar before in the playoffs. Still I would say Battier is the worst one on the Heat for flopping but then again he went to Flopping U aka Duke.

Fines should start at one game check and go up from there. Suspensions should come faster.

Automatic technical foul for every flop. Once it starts costing the team they will stop.

Automatic technical foul for every flop. Once it starts costing the team they will stop.

They'll flop at home, they'll flop on the road.

They'll flop and they'll flop as long as they're told.

How can we get the flopping to stop?

Should we fine them, suspend them, or call in a cop?

For stopping the flopping we make the team pay.

Not dollars but fouls they will pay out the A.

When LeBrons flops it get all the attention, then of course people think he does it the most. Add in some confirmation bias on top. He doesn't do it the most, his just get examined, broken down, whined about, put on youtube the most.

He gets dissected because he is arguably the most physically freakish gifted athlete to ever play in the NBA. The general public already feels like he is playing with a stacked genetic deck, so they aren't amenable to his flopping to gain yet another advantage. HTH.

He gets dissected because he is arguably the most physically freakish gifted athlete to ever play in the NBA. The general public already feels like he is playing with a stacked genetic deck, so they aren't amenable to his flopping to gain yet another advantage. HTH.

This is an interesting comment. And I think you are correct, and it speaks to why a good portion of the general public sometimes roots against athletes or overly successful people who are on top. We think they were given something or have some as you 'genetic advatage' over others so we try to find chinks in the armour, we root for them to fail. It makes us feel better about our ownselves (maybe just subconciously)

The pubic and media are notorious for building up young players/entertainers/politicians, but once they reach the top, we then proceed to tear them down the best we can. Then the next new young thing happens. Rinse and Repeat.

Its not all that much different than some who look at CEO's of Fortune 500 companies as if they were given what they've accomplished, and root for them to fail at every chance because of it.

It would be a good sociology study/thesis for a college kid to do in a class.

This is an interesting comment. And I think you are correct, and it speaks to why a good portion of the general public sometimes roots against athletes or overly successful people who are on top. We think they were given something or have some as you 'genetic advatage' over others so we try to find chinks in the armour, we root for them to fail. It makes us feel better about our ownselves (maybe just subconciously)

The pubic and media are notorious for building up young players/entertainers/politicians, but once they reach the top, we then proceed to tear them down the best we can. Then the next new young thing happens. Rinse and Repeat.

Its not all that much different than some who look at CEO's of Fortune 500 companies as if they were given what they've accomplished, and root for them to fail at every chance because of it.

It would be a good sociology study/thesis for a college kid to do in a class.

I agree that it is human nature. For the record I'm not a Lebron hater, and in general I enjoy watching greatness on display.

I think your CEO analogy is a little weak though, at least with Lebron. I agree that there are combinations of genetics and hard work that get you to the top in both sports and business. Lebron though is so stacked genetically that I don't think there is an analogous CEO comparison. I don't know him and he might be the hardest worker in the NBA, but to do what he did right out of HS, that's freakish IMO.

$10,000 fine around the corner for LeFlop.

Dayum, does he have zero pride? If I were as big and strong as he is there is no way I would let a feather send me flying around the gym like he does. :doh:

Let me pre-emptiively say fukk you KSB. That was a puzzy move. :first:

Won't be any fine for that. He played the contact exactly the way he should have.

Reggie mocking anybody for flopping is the height of absurdity. Was funny to hear Kerr call him on it also.