Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**Round Three & Four Commentary**

Peterson, Brees, and White.

I'd be happy with that. Really happy.

We're moving into the part of the June Mock that I love the most now...that is, rounds 3-6. It's less about individual picks now and more about how those picks shape the teams that we're putting together. Picking Brees here was an awesome move for ICE, but he has to hope that he can fill other positions with quality guys in the rounds to come. Should be fun to see how it unfolds...

There are worse ways to start a draft. I am happy to have three solid contributors, all with histories of elite scoring levels and very little risk.

ICEMAN

VJax, Harvins, and Fitz, in that order. I really wanted VJax, but am happy that Fitz gets Palmer to throw to him. Sounds like he will be moved all over, and they have two solid guys complimenting him now. Fitz is the pick.

I was gonna pull the trigger on harvins. He is now on a better team, with a better coach, and a much better QB. (all this means that I predict less migraines) The team IS still gonna run the ball more than it throws, but the defense is gonna get them the ball back quicker and give Harvins more times to lineup.

A little early for Peyton Manning, I had him in the late 3rd round.

But I have a feeling that there is a 2nd tier QB rush coming in this draft, and I wanted to have my 1st pick of the 2nd tier guys, and not the last pick.

ETA: I also see a significant difference between Manning and the rest of the 2nd tier QBs.

....and I reported you

Admin

8,694 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:05 AM

For my own sanity, please format your selections like...

1.01 - RB Lawrence Phillips, STL

3.11 - QB Charlie Sheen, DEN

10.06 - D/ST Carolina

Matt has started out by taking three potential Hall of Famers in the form of Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, and Tom Brady.

The question now is: What are his running backs going to look like since he's skipped the position altogether thus far?

Wow, RBs really slid. I was sure I would get one of Roddy/Fitz/Harvin/V-Jax. If I'd known who would still be on the board, I would have taken D Thomas in the second, and a RB here. If robb had taken Cruz, I was going to take a third RB.

Bush was available, so I took him! He and Spiller could combine for an exciting backfield and I can see some TDs between them. Most available WRs were equal IMO, so went with the more exciting choice.

Debate is welcome on this selection.

Bush was available, so I took him! He and Spiller could combine for an exciting backfield and I can see some TDs between them. Most available WRs were equal IMO, so went with the more exciting choice.

Debate is welcome on this selection.

I feel like with the combination of Bush/Spiller, your team will have the highest points in half the weeks and lowest points in the other half.

Both will be explosive in their offenses, but there will be no consistency

My only beef with the Bush pick is that he relies on passes caught, and there is no reward for receptions in this league. But explosion you have. I agree with Riceman, though. You'll be unbeatable on the strength of that backfield on some weeks, but you'll be tearing your hair out in others.

My only beef with the Bush pick is that he relies on passes caught, and there is no reward for receptions in this league. But explosion you have. I agree with Riceman, though. You'll be unbeatable on the strength of that backfield on some weeks, but you'll be tearing your hair out in others.

Yea....but Spiller/Bush would be my dream RB core if it's a PPR league

pretty surprised by all the wide receiver pic so early in this format I thought more running backs will come off the board very glad I took Dez Bryant when I did instead of going running back running back

There are still viable RBS out there

very true

I'm going to retract that statement now....

I also started the RB run, which I really thought might happen here. I didn't/won't get on the end of a run, so felt like it was time for a running back. Think I was right.......now, was it the "right" running back, only time will tell!

Nice!!! Just what I was hoping to see at this turn when I logged off mid-3rd.

Hey JScott.....you trying to draft the "all injury team" this year?

If so.......Green is not on the Injury Report!

Hey JScott.....you trying to draft the "all injury team" this year?

If so.......Green is not on the Injury Report!

Cr@p, is my plan that obvious?

;)

going for the home run at RB after the more "steady" option. Gave serious thought to another RB

I like my trio of SJax, Ridley, Miller..... might not be sexy, but i'm liking it

I know this is a mock for the benefit of FFToday readers first and foremost, but I can't help drafting with the no hassle format and league in mind. Which is part of the reason I expected more RB's to go off the board. In a normal league you could take some shots on guys late and if they don't pan out, hit the waiver wire. Not the same luxury here. So i definitely like to grab some starters.

going for the home run at RB after the more "steady" option. Gave serious thought to another RB

I like my trio of SJax, Ridley, Miller..... might not be sexy, but i'm liking it

I know this is a mock for the benefit of FFToday readers first and foremost, but I can't help drafting with the no hassle format and league in mind. Which is part of the reason I expected more RB's to go off the board. In a normal league you could take some shots on guys late and if they don't pan out, hit the waiver wire. Not the same luxury here. So i definitely like to grab some starters.

I like this pick a lot. I would have taken him at 4.06 had he been there, but the Champ showed why he is the defending "Champ".

I believe he is the bell cow in Miami now with Reggie gone and a receiving corps to keep defenses honest.

Nice!!! Just what I was hoping to see at this turn when I logged off mid-3rd.

I'm curious where everyone else would have targeted Gronk. Personally I've been selling him in my dynasty leagues because the long term effect of the injuries is going to take it's toll soon or later. But for 2013 I really like the risk/reward value at the 3rd/4th turn. I was sure someone else would have taken the risk in the 3rd before me, even if he misses a game or two as expected.

As for the turn itself, I was eyeing Ridley/DMC/Gronk. Worst case (which still wasn't too bad) was only having both Patriots there. I didn't want to load up on a somewhat unpredictable offense (Brady aside). Seeing Ridley go and leaving me DMC/Gronk was my best case. Yes, injury history abound but what they can give when they're on the field is worth it at this point in the draft imo.

Had Gronk valued overall at 4.02...he would have made it past me at 4.04, but not by much.

I'm usually not a TE early drafter so i'm probably the wrong person to ask. I actually like the idea of dealing for him in keeper or dynasty formats where you already have a core you're working with (as long as the price is right). In redraft I don't think I could use one of my first 5 picks on him. Not that the value isn't right, just my drafting preference means someone else will likely own him.

man i would like to add some really in depth comments but i am pressed for time this week at work and this draft is moving too fast.....anyway......

Ray- so your daughter is getting an athletic scholarship? congrats!! who is recruiting her and what sport? when i was being recruited for baseball at college that was a GREAT experience.......

on to the draft.......the early 2nd round run on wide receivers was expected.....after calvin johnson i have brandon marshall 2nd....great pick there for value............thought it was too early for andre johnson and cobb was a BIG gamble there.....two other guys on that team are better value and lots of competition at wr there to justify a 2.11 pick.....like the qb picks at the end of the round

will add some more insight tomorrow when i am not busy.........

Ray- so your daughter is getting an athletic scholarship? congrats!! who is recruiting her and what sport? when i was being recruited for baseball at college that was a GREAT experience.......

We will see. She has drawn interest from DIII schools for lacrosse, and now DII schools are making her club team aware of some interest. She is only a freshman in high school so we will have to see where it goes. DI and DII aer not allowed to talk to us until September of her junior year, but DIII schools can talk to us right now.

The thing being that we may likely find a better deal financially in state than any offer that might come from these out of state schools. The trick being that the private schools have more money to offer, and its all academic money, so she really needs to be a great student ( which she is ) in order for the DIII coaches to quarterback access to all the money for us.

The only DI school showing any interest is Princeton right now, but I see that as a long shot.

Nicks is at mini camp now and I see where the Giants may pay him before Cruz, so pretty safe selection in mid-fourth round. Should be a red zone target for their QB also.

I hit my target at 4.04 in Cam Newton...really, the first one that I've hit in the draft. I wanted Marshawn Lynch in round one and wasn't crazy about MJD in Round Three, even though he was a good value there. I thought Newton might slide in this draft into the fourth round and I'm thrilled that he did.

Newton seemed to get some things figured out the last six weeks or so of last season and returned to being a dominant force. Some people may only remember his semi-ordinary first half of the season. I am thrilled to get him this late. He's the #3 QB on my board behind Brees and Rodgers.

Nicks is at mini camp now and I see where the Giants may pay him before Cruz, so pretty safe selection in mid-fourth round. Should be a red zone target for their QB also.

I agree. Good pick! :thumbsup:

Love the decision to go with Nicks here, even if Cruz does return I have a suspicion that Nick's will be the better option for us FF ballers in the end.

I hit my target at 4.04 in Cam Newton...really, the first one that I've hit in the draft. I wanted Marshawn Lynch in round one and wasn't crazy about MJD in Round Three, even though he was a good value there. I thought Newton might slide in this draft into the fourth round and I'm thrilled that he did.

Newton seemed to get some things figured out the last six weeks or so of last season and returned to being a dominant force. Some people may only remember his semi-ordinary first half of the season. I am thrilled to get him this late. He's the #3 QB on my board behind Brees and Rodgers.

Look at you waiting until the 4th for a QB. Our little Fumble is growing up so fast :tear:

I actually like this pick. If I talked myself out of rolling the dice on Gronk, Cam would have been my pick given how things unfolded at the turn.

Love the Cam Newton pick. He would have been my next selection had he still been sitting around. Still a very high upside player in a league that rewards running QBs. Nice grab.

Frank Gore, crap man, now I have to start marking off players from my ADP in rounds 6 and 7? You are making this harder than it needs to be <_<