Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Any Dog people here?

My kids want me to get a dog. We are all allergic to cats or I would get a cat as they are just easy and pretty much take care of themselves. After almost a year of badgering I have decided to give in and get a dog. My Neighbor has a sister that breeds Yellow Labs and she was wanting me to go and check them out -- I think she said they were like 700 dollars or something. My Daughter the future animal rights activist staunchly ONLY wants a dog from a shelter or the pound as she wants to SAVE a dogs life as she puts it. To be honest it would be a lot cheaper - but I don't know how much I trust a dog from a shelter.

Right now I am trying to decide whether or not to get a dog from my neighbors (sister) breeders - Yellow Lab - who I hear are also great around kids. Or heed my daughters wishes and get a dog from a shelter.

First - is their any real difference - I don't give a fock about a show dog - just a good loyal dog who is good with kids and won't tear the house up.

If anyone might have any pro's and cons of both that would be really helpful

Go through a rescue organization. They take in animals from the pound and "other" situations, then make sure they are healthy, assess their temperment, etc. They will charge a nominal fee and want you to fill out an application, but it make the process much easier.

Also, :thumbsup: for your daughter.

I forgot to mention... If you truly would rather have a cat, they make a breed that is hypoallergenic. I forget what they are called, but I'm sure you could Google it.

I forgot to mention... If you truly would rather have a cat, they make a breed that is hypoallergenic. I forget what they are called, but I'm sure you could Google it.

I know I think they are Siberian cats -- they are like 1500 dollars for a cat -- and my friend who got one as his wife wanted a Cat and he was allergic -- swears that he is just as allergic to that cat as he is any other cat.

I don't know that I would recommend a yellow lab for a first time dog owner. While they are great dogs they can be a handful, especially when they're younger.

Take a look at your local dog pound. If you see a dog you like, give him/her a shot. Worst case scenario, you take it back. Or like OM said, you can go to a rescue organization if you're worried about getting a lemon at the pound. FWIW I've had good and bad luck with dogs from the pound. Obviously if you can get a puppy or a younger dog, you have a better chance of the dog acclimating to your family. However, you can find older dogs at the pound who are absolutley no trouble at all. Maybe their owner died and had no family to take the dog in.

Why the fock would anyone get a cat for kids who want a dog? Cats are horrible pets as far as companionship or fun, which is probably what the kids want from a pet.

Go through a rescue organization. They take in animals from the pound and "other" situations, then make sure they are healthy, assess their temperment, etc. They will charge a nominal fee and want you to fill out an application, but it make the process much easier.

Also, :thumbsup: for your daughter.

So is there really any difference in getting a dog from breeder or a Mutt from the pound / shelter. For me - as I admit I know little here - The mutt at the pound likely has the shots already and is spayed/Neutered so I basically just take it home and hope/pray to be able to teach it to not go to the bathroom in the house. Where as at a breeder I have to pay the large amount for the dog and get all the shots etc. So off the bat it just seems easier getting it at the pound anyway. As I said I don't know much about it - so just want to make the right choice the first time.

So is there really any difference in getting a dog from breeder or a Mutt from the pound / shelter. For me - as I admit I know little here - The mutt at the pound likely has the shots already and is spayed/Neutered so I basically just take it home and hope/pray to be able to teach it to not go to the bathroom in the house. Where as at a breeder I have to pay the large amount for the dog and get all the shots etc. So off the bat it just seems easier getting it at the pound anyway. As I said I don't know much about it - so just want to make the right choice the first time.

Mutts typically live longer and have fewer health problems than purebreds.

I know I think they are Siberian cats -- they are like 1500 dollars for a cat -- and my friend who got one as his wife wanted a Cat and he was allergic -- swears that he is just as allergic to that cat as he is any other cat.

I just did a quick Google search... apparently there a are a few breeds that are considered hypoallergenic.

Maybe your friend is one who suffers from a saliva allergy (rather than dander) in which case a Balinese would be the recommended breed.

I don't know that I would recommend a yellow lab for a first time dog owner. While they are great dogs they can be a handful, especially when they're younger.

Take a look at your local dog pound. If you see a dog you like, give him/her a shot. Worst case scenario, you take it back. Or like OM said, you can go to a rescue organization if you're worried about getting a lemon at the pound. FWIW I've had good and bad luck with dogs from the pound. Obviously if you can get a puppy or a younger dog, you have a better chance of the dog acclimating to your family. However, you can find older dogs at the pound who are absolutley no trouble at all. Maybe their owner died and had no family to take the dog in.

Maybe they were just selling it - I don't know. I thought Golden retrievers were the hyper ones and Yellow Labs were more docile? I know I have read they are really good around kids.

The only thing that I don't like is virtually 1/2 of the dogs at the pound or shelters are some kind of Pit Bull which I refuse to get around a 6 year old and a 9 year old. You can tell me whatever but I won't take the chance with my kids - same with a Rot or a doberman - probably even a Sheppard.

I just did a quick Google search... apparently there a are a few breeds that are considered hypoallergenic.

Maybe your friend is one who suffers from a saliva allergy (rather than dander) in which case a Balinese would be the recommended breed.

Let me just speak for the little Mozlings here; "SHUT THE FOCK UP ABOUT CATS! WE DON'T WANT A FOCKING CAT!!" :mad:

Let me just speak for the little Mozlings here; "SHUT THE FOCK UP ABOUT CATS! WE DON'T WANT A FOCKING CAT!!" :mad:

Pretty much accurate -- I just wanted one as a compromise as they are 10X easier than a dog. But I admit Dogs are 10X more fun.

Maybe they were just selling it - I don't know. I thought Golden retrievers were the hyper ones and Yellow Labs were more docile? I know I have read they are really good around kids.

The only thing that I don't like is virtually 1/2 of the dogs at the pound or shelters are some kind of Pit Bull which I refuse to get around a 6 year old and a 9 year old. You can tell me whatever but I won't take the chance with my kids - same with a Rot or a doberman - probably even a Sheppard.

Yeah, I'd never try to talk anybody into getting a pit. You either like them or you don't. Personally, if raised right, I think the can be great pets but I would have second thoughts about owning one if I had small children. Two of the friendliest dogs I've ever met were pit/pit mixes but neither of them came from the pound.

I'm not sure if the pound will be responsible for making sure the animal has it's shots or spaying/neutering. I'm not even sure if they guarentee the animal to be healthy. That's where a rescue orginization comes in. They will make sure everything is taken care of, for a nominal fee.

I would agree with 5 Points on the purebred vs mutt opinion. You have to be careful with purebreeds... sometimes breeders don't do the right thing and allow inbreeding to occur, which can lead to a whole host of problems. Then there are some health problems that are breed specific (regardless of how they were bred). That being said, if there is a particular breed you really like, you shouldn't let that sway your decision. Just know, there may be added vet bills.

I'm not sure if the pound will be responsible for making sure the animal has it's shots or spaying/neutering. I'm not even sure if they guarentee the animal to be healthy. That's where a rescue orginization comes in. They will make sure everything is taken care of, for a nominal fee.

I would agree with 5 Points on the purebred vs mutt opinion. You have to be careful with purebreeds... sometimes breeders don't do the right thing and allow inbreeding to occur, which can lead to a whole host of problems. Then there are some health problems that are breed specific (regardless of how they were bred). That being said, if there is a particular breed you really like, you shouldn't let that sway your decision. Just know, there may be added vet bills.

There is no specific breed - basically which ever one the kiddies pick out -- I have since researched a few places

this seems the best -- is this what you were taking about?

http://www.pawschicago.org/

There is no specific breed - basically which ever one the kiddies pick out -- I have since researched a few places

this seems the best -- is this what you were taking about?

http://www.pawschicago.org/

Yep... looks as good as any. I think Petfinder also will have a list of all the different organizations in your area, if you don't find what you're looking for, at that one.

I think I saw a German Shephard you might like on an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. His name was Sheriff and he only barked at black people :thumbsup:

Adopt a dog

Many of the humane society/big shelter places have sites on which you can see some dogs and get an idea. You don't want to walk in cold with your kids and have them make a rash decision or have to argue them out of a dog.

There is zero need to get a purebred dog from a breeder. They can't guarantee anything more about the dogs future health or behavior then a shelter can, and you invite all kinds of problems and expense. It's a dog.

You don't say what age your kids are, or I didn't see it. Keep in mind what the kids like to do and how big they are when selecting a dog.

There are dogs with hair vs fur. Those dogs won't shed and will be a big help in the allergy department. We have two, both shelter rescues: a terrier mix and a poodle mix. Both less than 20 lb. Great, low maintenance dogs.

Get dog today. Sign kid and dog up for obedience classes (for either or both) tomorrow. You won't regret it. Keep the kids busy during syummer vacation, and they'll have the tools to have a well behaved, obedient dog that can do tricks and stuff by the time summer's over.

Oh, and don't get a baby puppy. Lots more work, and you have to wait for them to get old enough to accept training.

Good luck! Every kid should not only have a dog, but also the responsibility that comes with being a good pet owner.

I think I saw a German Shephard you might like on an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. His name was Sheriff and he only barked at black people :thumbsup:

Adopt a dog

Many of the humane society/big shelter places have sites on which you can see some dogs and get an idea. You don't want to walk in cold with your kids and have them make a rash decision or have to argue them out of a dog.

There is zero need to get a purebred dog from a breeder. They can't guarantee anything more about the dogs future health or behavior then a shelter can, and you invite all kinds of problems and expense. It's a dog.

You don't say what age your kids are, or I didn't see it. Keep in mind what the kids like to do and how big they are when selecting a dog.

There are dogs with hair vs fur. Those dogs won't shed and will be a big help in the allergy department. We have two, both shelter rescues: a terrier mix and a poodle mix. Both less than 20 lb. Great, low maintenance dogs.

Get dog today. Sign kid and dog up for obedience classes (for either or both) tomorrow. You won't regret it. Keep the kids busy during syummer vacation, and they'll have the tools to have a well behaved, obedient dog that can do tricks and stuff by the time summer's over.

Oh, and don't get a baby puppy. Lots more work, and you have to wait for them to get old enough to accept training.

Good luck! Every kid should not only have a dog, but also the responsibility that comes with being a good pet owner.

You seem to know what you're doing here. Any idea the best age to get them? I know the kids will be nice to the dog and play with it but might have to get em to take of it. I don't have a fenced in back yard at least not yet and i counting on them for the dog walking. Actually my 6 (soon to be 7) year old daughter will take of it - she loves that stuff it's my son I am not to sure about :(

Kids are 6 and 9 they both want a big dog :( or at least NOT a small toy dog.

My kids want me to get a dog. We are all allergic to cats or I would get a cat as they are just easy and pretty much take care of themselves. After almost a year of badgering

Get a badger. That'll shut em up.

The best dog I ever had was from a rescue group. He was older and not only needed a good home, but deserved one. You can find a rescue org. for most any breed. If they are not local to you, many will bring the dog to you.

We have a shepherd mix that we got as a puppy - recused from a dumpster. WTF?? Anyway, she's about 50lb now and full of love and great with kids. Nothing like coming home to your dog after a tough day. My wife works from home and she's a great security system. We always know when anyone is anywhere near the house. She's large enough to make someone with bad intentions think twice.

I'd make sure you have a fenced yard before you get any decent-sized dog. They need some room to run around and patrol.

Good luck!! :cheers:

I just want to add

CATS SUCK

I am starting to get that nugget of knowledge

My kids want me to get a dog. We are all allergic to cats or I would get a cat as they are just easy and pretty much take care of themselves. After almost a year of badgering I have decided to give in and get a dog. My Neighbor has a sister that breeds Yellow Labs and she was wanting me to go and check them out -- I think she said they were like 700 dollars or something. My Daughter the future animal rights activist staunchly ONLY wants a dog from a shelter or the pound as she wants to SAVE a dogs life as she puts it. To be honest it would be a lot cheaper - but I don't know how much I trust a dog from a shelter.

Right now I am trying to decide whether or not to get a dog from my neighbors (sister) breeders - Yellow Lab - who I hear are also great around kids. Or heed my daughters wishes and get a dog from a shelter.

First - is their any real difference - I don't give a fock about a show dog - just a good loyal dog who is good with kids and won't tear the house up.

If anyone might have any pro's and cons of both that would be really helpful

Go through a rescue group 9 out of 10 times the dog has already lived with a family and they have 1st hand knowledge of the dog and the personailty. do research on the breeds of dog you think you may want first. Labs are high maintance and need to run, if thats for you and you go jogging or have a huge fenced in yard so it can run great. you want lazy and high maintance something like a bull dog you want big and lazy maybe a great dane you want little and high energy jack russell.....there are millions of options out there.

Technically, if you are still banging their mom, you don't have to get them a dog.

Technically, if you are still banging their mom, you don't have to get them a dog.

your reason?

Mutts typically live longer and have fewer health problems than purebreds.

FACT - Incest isn't good for anyone including animals.

Also our pooch was is a rescue. American Eskimo.

If you get one that is young, try to socialize as well as train. You should try to get it comfortable around other dogs, other people, kids etc.

And watch a few episodes of The Dog Whisperer. He's the man.

Adopt a dog

You seem to know what you're doing here. Any idea the best age to get them? I know the kids will be nice to the dog and play with it but might have to get em to take of it. I don't have a fenced in back yard at least not yet and i counting on them for the dog walking. Actually my 6 (soon to be 7) year old daughter will take of it - she loves that stuff it's my son I am not to sure about :(

Kids are 6 and 9 they both want a big dog :( or at least NOT a small toy dog.

6 and 9 are too young for a big dog. They can't properly walk an animal that's even 1/3 their size, at least until it's really well leash trained. And if the dog decides that it's above them in the pack heirarchy, they'll never be in command of their animal.

I'd think a young dog that's 8-12 lb, maybe going to grow to double that, would be what I would be looking for. That way they get some "puppy" play, but you're not dealing with an infant. A dog 6 mos-1 yr old should already be housebroken (though new digs = new scents) and certainly at the stage where training will really take.

look at the teeth, open its mouth, raise its upper lips and look at the teeth. if it looks like the dog has been eating poop, dont choose that dog. i promise, u dont want that dog. and if it bites u as u try to look at its teeth, dont pick that dog either. dependent on the age of ur kid(s) a stray dog from the pound might be a great choice. the best dog ive ever had was a female black lab, pit bull mix we named Lady. she was the best dog ever. super smart and just an awesome dog. were i to get another dog now i would definitely consider looking for a mild mannered female black lab.

6 and 9 are too young for a big dog. They can't properly walk an animal that's even 1/3 their size, at least until it's really well leash trained. And if the dog decides that it's above them in the pack heirarchy, they'll never be in command of their animal.

I'd think a young dog that's 8-12 lb, maybe going to grow to double that, would be what I would be looking for. That way they get some "puppy" play, but you're not dealing with an infant. A dog 6 mos-1 yr old should already be housebroken (though new digs = new scents) and certainly at the stage where training will really take.

When I was like 6 years old we found a Shepherd/Lab mix on the street and had the dog for like 11 years - best dog we ever had -- that was a big dog :dunno: The dog literally would camp out outside my room to guard it at night -- damn I loved that dog.. :(

Get a badger. That'll shut em up.

And teach them that they should have dogged him instead. :thumbsup:

black lab

Gobble was a black lab. I can't begin to describe how smart the dog naturally was. Everyone's dream dog - bring you paper/slippers type dog - do every trick imaginable. But not the greatest around little kids. When my 4 y.o. nephew pulled on his ears one too many times one night, Gobble nipped his hand. Nothing serious and only that once, but he couldn't be trusted with really small children after that.

Interestingly, Gobble was 1/4 chow, which is among the dumbest breeds on the planet (luckily the lab gene was dominate and might explain the nipping my nephew). But I've always thought labradors tend to do better when mixed a little, simply because of all the inter-breeding that goes on with labs and goldens. That can lead to health problems (bad hips are common) and low intelligence. Ever met a golden retriever that's bred like a Kentucky hillbilly? Sweetest dogs on the planet, but man they're dumb.