Sign in to follow this  
bigblue08

Sproles vs. Bush in PPR

Who do you like better for an RB2 in a PPR?

Sproles who will be reunited with the pass happy Sean Peyton?

Or the potential of finally seeing Reggie used like he was in...New Orleans?

Leaning Bush, but know I will kick myself for passing on Sproles if he lights it up like he should.

Thoughts?

Well, I have Reggie in our 3-player keeper league and Im holding him even though we only get 1pt every 3 catches and 1pt per 20 yards rush/rec. Reggie is a sneaky fantasy back. The dude has lots of ways to get points and they all add up. I dont see him getting the carries that he did in Miami but thats a good thing. hell catch more balls and be able to use his skill set better in Detroit. Sproles is an interesting player but the Saints spread things out a tad too much for my liking. Plus, Reggie might even see a few GL carries which Sproles likely wont.

Both are solid fantasy players but if I had to choose one Id give Reggie the slight edge.

Oh yeah - both can get points on kick returns too which is an added bonus.

Sproles and I honestly don't think it is that close.

Wow - not even close? I dont see where you get that from but to each their own.

I still worry about how crowded Detroit's backfield is. Will he out-compete Leshoure and Bell to dominate the carries? Maybe, but it's a gamble. On top of that you're counting on him getting regular targets on a team with Megatron. Obviously it's nice to be able to spread the ball and relax the coverage on Megatron, but how much do you rely on that? They also have Nate Burleson back after his leg injury last season, and though I'm sure he's a bit old and creaky, he was a reliable target early last season too.

So, maybe Bush can stand out still; there might even be a better-than-average chance of it. Lots of people seem to think so. But you're still taking a risk.

I still worry about how crowded Detroit's backfield is. Will he out-compete Leshoure and Bell to dominate the carries? Maybe, but it's a gamble. On top of that you're counting on him getting regular targets on a team with Megatron. Obviously it's nice to be able to spread the ball and relax the coverage on Megatron, but how much do you rely on that? They also have Nate Burleson back after his leg injury last season, and though I'm sure he's a bit old and creaky, he was a reliable target early last season too.

So, maybe Bush can stand out still; there might even be a better-than-average chance of it. Lots of people seem to think so. But you're still taking a risk.

yea but , do they have a #2 wr?

the saints have piere thomas, and the guy out of alabama

yea but , do they have a #2 wr?

the saints have piere thomas, and the guy out of alabama

Well, Burleson was a solid WR2 before his injury last year. After Burleson went down, Joquie Bell had the second most catches. And even if Bush steps up in the catch department, he's still doing it behind Megatron. He's also going to be splitting touches with Leshoure and Bell. He doesn't clearly dominate any position at this point.

That said, Detroit lists him as RB1 right now on their roster, and everyone expects he'll get some respectable share of the receptions. It might all pan out nicely for Bush, but that's a lot of unknowns for a 2nd/3rd round draft pick, as I've been seeing him go recently. I personally wouldn't pick him up before the 4th round in a PPR league, but I don't like to gamble too big on my first three picks.

Sproles seems to never get hurt and Bush always gets hurt.

Even though I have Bush on my dynasty team, I'll take Sproles.

Not really - Bush hasnt really misssed many games. last year with Miami he held up well for taking quite a beating as an almost every down back. Plus, in Detroit he'ss be able to roam free and maximize his opportunities. IMO.

Good question. I actually expected this to be one of Fumbleweed's look alike player battles. I'd lean towards Sproles just because of how remarkably consistent he's been--85 receptions two years ago, and on pace for about 88 last year. Bush is a bit of a question mark; we know he'll get a lot of passes, but probably not that many, and will they run him enough to make up the difference? Detroit has also had pitiful run blocking recently, so I think even 4 ypc would be a big achievement for Bush.

I am also a bit wary of Bush on turf.

Bush is a bit of a question mark; we know he'll get a lot of passes, but probably not that many,

Which is it, lol? Will he or won't he catch a lot of passes? I agree with your assessment that playing on turf is a bit concerning too. However, the Lions didn't pay Bush all that money to come in and be a complimentary player. They weren't happy with Leshoure's sub 4.0 yards per carry, and he is better suited as a short yardage and GL back where he excelled last season. And though Joique Bell surprised last year, the Lions obviously don't view him as more than a role player. They were looking for that dynamic back that Jahvid Best once was in this offense in between his bouts with a rattled brain. It wasn't that long ago that we were all drinking the Best koolaid because of all the potential he had within the Lions pass happy offensive scheme. There's no reason to think Bush can't fill that same role and won't be used the same way that Best was (when he played).

As to the OPs' original question though, I don't think you can go wrong with either Bush or Sproles in PPR. Barring injuries, their final numbers should be really close, and I have them both ranked within fractional points of each other, with Bush ranked at RB13 and Sproles at RB14. In Sproles career year a couple of seasons ago, he had 1300+ combined yards with 8 or 9 TDs I think. I don't think he'll carry the ball enough to reach those numbers again, but 1100 combined yards with 7-8 TDs is within reason. On the flip side, Bush doesn't need 200 carries to put up more total yardage than Sproles, and Bush could easily have more receiving TDs than rushing TDs. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either, but I think Bush has a more prominent role in his offense than Sproles does in his IMO.

Haha. I meant not as many as Sproles. I'd be surprised to see Bush get past the 65-70 threshold, which would still be quite the awesome display.

If they both play 16 games then I would lean slightly towards Reggie. Since he never finished a season down in New Orleans I will go with Sproles.

Haha. I meant not as many as Sproles. I'd be surprised to see Bush get past the 65-70 threshold, which would still be quite the awesome display.

Yep I agree. I don't think Bush gets as many receptions as Sproles either, but he should have twice as many rushing attempts if not more.

I like Bush's upside, since he could put up 1,000 yards on the ground AND catch a ton of passes. With Sproles, you know he's going to get his catches but there's little chance of an added bonus.

Then again, Sproles is the safer option. So it just depends on what you're looking for, safety vs upside

I would probably go bush, because the ball is so spread in NO, but sproles is the safer pick. Bush is made of glass..

Saints do plan to run sproles a bit more out of the backfield this year.

Bush for me. I'm all in...drafted him in both PPR leagues so far.

Honestly, its a video game offense, and one of the best video game backs in the league.... Its like when I used to put Charles Woodson as my RB in Madden 99...

Lots of space underneath with Megatron, Burleson and Broyles running seam routes...

How many viable saints players get drafted? Colston, Moore, Graham, Sproles..... All productive.

Sounds like Ingram is making strides to be a more heavily used rusher, I wouldn't expect that part of sproles game to expand. I think he's somewhat limited on his ceiling, where bush has alot more upside...

except for LAST season, where Spoles got hurt and Bush didnt

except for LAST season, where Spoles got hurt and Bush didnt

Buyer beware. Bush never went a season in New Orleans without getting hurt. He's going back to turf and he's has said in the past that he prefers to play on grass.

I've never been much of a fan of Reggie Bush, but I will say I have him a lot higher on my draft board than Sproles. I remember what Jahvid Best was able to do in that offense during his short healthy stint and Reggie is superior to Best IMO. Bush proved last season that he can be a between the tackles runner (on occasion) and will have tons of opportunity with the attention that Calvin draws. The two are separated by about 1/2 a round in PPR draft formats but I expect Bush to put up 15-20% better points on the season.

seems bush always get no love, in ppr he's money, even moreso this yr. i know their adp's are close, but bush is the easy choice for me. heck, just tonite, bush got 13 touches in one half, no way sproles gets more touches than bush. bush will be heavily used i think.

Darren Sproles is a low end RB1 in my opinion in PPR leagues. He's a lock to catch 80 passes as long as he's healthy. Everyone is "projecting" Bush to reach that level, but no one really knows exactly how things will play out with Bush on a new team. It looks like a great fit in Detroit but I'll take the security of Sproles in PPR. With Sean Payton back, I think Sproles gets much closer to his 2011 numbers.

Why this debate? Why not just take both of them? In a 12-man full PPR league would you be willing to do that if you had the 11th/12th pick?

Why this debate? Why not just take both of them? In a 12-man full PPR league would you be willing to do that if you had the 11th/12th pick?

Sure, if you can swing it. I'd probably rather go withForte and then Bush or Sproles, but to each his own.

Darren Sproles is a low end RB1 in my opinion in PPR leagues. He's a lock to catch 80 passes as long as he's healthy. Everyone is "projecting" Bush to reach that level, but no one really knows exactly how things will play out with Bush on a new team. It looks like a great fit in Detroit but I'll take the security of Sproles in PPR. With Sean Payton back, I think Sproles gets much closer to his 2011 numbers.

im pretty sure reggie bush leads nfl RBs in receptions last 5yrs, ahead of sproles. i like his situation in detroit more than sproles in NO too.

It's a keeper league and they're the top two RBs on the board.

In a redraft, it depends who is there at 11 but would easily draft these two as RB1/2.

im pretty sure reggie bush leads nfl RBs in receptions last 5yrs, ahead of sproles. i like his situation in detroit more than sproles in NO too.

Now Look At Who Leads Since sproles Went To Nola

Now Look At Who Leads Since sproles Went To Nola

touche. i still like reggie's situation more.

while Sproles might have 20 more catches and a couple hundred more yards receiving, Bush may rush for 1000 yards and add 60 catches for 400-500 yards, with more opportunities for TD's. I think people are highly undervaluing Bush in PPR, if I pick top 4 I will target one of the 2 on the way back