Sign in to follow this  
Wil Infamous

DeMarco Murray or Ryan Mathews?

Who do you trust more as a RB3/Flex in a 12 team PPR, DeMarco Murray or Ryan Mathews?

When healthy both Murray and Matthews can put up some nice numbers and I feel at least one will stay relatively healthy this season (13 games or more). Just not sure who.

When has Mathews put up "some nice numbers" the last two years? Murray by far but I wouldn't reach for him due his injury history.

I'd personally rank Bradshaw and even Deangelo Williams ( no time share in Carolina with Stewart hurt and he turned it on late last year) ahead of both.

When has Mathews put up "some nice numbers" the last two years? Murray by far but I wouldn't reach for him due his injury history.

I'd personally rank Bradshaw and even Deangelo Williams ( no time share in Carolina with Stewart hurt and he turned it on late last year) ahead of both.

I said "can" not have.

Maybe 2011? When he was RB7 (non-ppr)? When he averaged more PPG than Demarco Murray? Maybe then?

Lotta fail here.

• Like 1

I like Murray more. I actually have both of them on one of my teams after I swore I'd never own Mathews again, so one of them better pan out. I got Mathews as a RB3 and we only start two RBs(no flex) so as long as I don't have to rely on him week in and week out, I'm ok with it. But Murray is in a better situation to succeed IMO.

Mathews is on my permanent no-draft list. His fragility is well-documented, but the thing that really soured me forever on Mathews was just watching him play a lot last year.

He's not a good NFL running back.

His vision is poor- he seems to miss holes and cutbacks and run into tackles instead of away from them.

When he does get to the second level, his speed to take it to the house is disappointing.

He's tentative, indecisive. Tap-dances a lot instead of getting what's blocked. Seems to slip and fall a lot for a guy who runs as a profession.

Seems to continually have a hard time gaining his coach's trust in redzone situations and passing downs.

Oh, and he's a bit of a fumbler.

Add all that to his physical frailty and, all in all, just too many flaws in his game. I think 2011 will turn out to be the anomaly in his career, not the norm. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is the last year we see him as a starting RB in the NFL.

Both have the 'glassman' label on them.

Mathews would be my choice. He's at least proven he can play 14 games in a season and be productive.

I don't have a no draft list, but Mathews would have to fall pretty far. I like Murray better and think he has more upside. Both have injury issues though.

I don't have a no draft list, but Mathews would have to fall pretty far. I like Murray better and think he has more upside. Both have injury issues though.

+1

Wouldn't want either as my RB2, but I think Murray has more upside. I'd be pretty happy with either as an RB3. I haven't seen Murray fall that far in mocks I've done though. Murray has been going late round 2, just after Bush, Ridley, Gore... while Mathews has been going early 4th, with Mende, Bradshaw, etc.

+1

Wouldn't want either as my RB2, but I think Murray has more upside. I'd be pretty happy with either as an RB3. I haven't seen Murray fall that far in mocks I've done though. Murray has been going late round 2, just after Bush, Ridley, Gore... while Mathews has been going early 4th, with Mende, Bradshaw, etc.

Not only do I love when you reply to a post (fan of Havoc and Prodigy and enjoy seeing your avatar in the responses, haha) but you bring up a good point. I'd hate it if either of these two were my RB2 but I'm in a keeper league so my other RB's are Ray Rice and Marshawn Lynch. Just looking for that former bust might become boom lottery ticket to cover myself incase one of my main RB's get hurt. And since its a keeper league some players are available where they normally wouldn't be.

Planning to pick one of these two with my 5th RD 2nd pick. Hoping that Murray's still on the board but wanted to see what people thought of Matthews.

In the 5th RD as a RB3 I think they both can be a good pick if...and its a BIG if...they can stay healthy.

Murray has had some bad injurys yes but he is by far the more explosive of the two. Not that I ever really see it happening but Matthews could be a top five RB If he could ever manage to play 16 games. That offence in Dallas is light years ahead of San Diego and there is almost No real compition for the lead roll for Murray. The same cannot be said for Matthews with wood head coming on for all third downs and passing situations.

Not only do I love when you reply to a post (fan of Havoc and Prodigy and enjoy seeing your avatar in the responses, haha) but you bring up a good point. I'd hate it if either of these two were my RB2 but I'm in a keeper league so my other RB's are Ray Rice and Marshawn Lynch. Just looking for that former bust might become boom lottery ticket to cover myself incase one of my main RB's get hurt. And since its a keeper league some players are available where they normally wouldn't be.

Planning to pick one of these two with my 5th RD 2nd pick. Hoping that Murray's still on the board but wanted to see what people thought of Matthews.

In the 5th RD as a RB3 I think they both can be a good pick if...and its a BIG if...they can stay healthy.

In your situation I'd definitely shoot for Murray. Assuming both stay healthy, I have both projected to around 1000/7 on the ground. Where Murray takes the advantage is catching. Murray should be good for 50+, while Mathews would be lucky to crack 30 rec.

Took Matthews in the 5th tonight, didn't feel that was bad value for a guy with upside even with the Mr. Glass label. He was my 3rd RB taken so not dependent on him.

• Like 1

If forced to make a decision I'd probably go Murray.

I just think that he has the highest ceiling if healthy. He very well could have a higher floor too.

Just curious. Who are your first two RBs?

Richardson and Lamar.

I kept taking rbs too, mendy and Williams.

Honestly, that's a choice I wouldn't want to HAVE to make. I'm not a fan of either. Murray, if you're lucky, gives you 9-11 games but is listed as injured most weeks and is a constant headache of will he play or won't he. Mathews is an injury concern as well. (Realistically though, aren't ALL RBs a bit of an injury concern a little bit? LOL) More importantly, he just can't seem to "put it all together." He doesn't hit the hole, seems to run tentatively and fumbles quite a bit. He'll also lose 3rd downs to Woodhead this year, if not his starting job. If I was absolutely forced to pick one of these guys, I'd say Murray. Dallas will be a much better team than San Diego this year, and I think Murray has higher upside. But, for my RB3, I'd rather have a guy like Sproles, D Richardson, one of the rookie RBs, Ingram or even D Williams.