Sign in to follow this  
Rashean Mathis

Brandon Bolden

The kid has soft hands & fills the Vareen role well. Potential to be used a lot. However, Blount very well could gangster the red zone touches inside the 5 though. Eventhough, there's s huge upside to him.

Talented, but always dinged up. Now he's hurt again. Just not durable enough to be relied on.

Link? Belichickie games and you believe?

Link? Belichickie games and you believe?

No, I "believe" because he actually HAS missed games. He missed 2 full games last year with injuries and parts of others (and that's not even counting his suspension) and he missed the first 2 this year. Out of a possible total of 19 games going back to last year, he's played 11, and not all of those 11 were even complete games. He's not like a Welker, who was permanently "questionable" but never missed a game.

Is he a viable option going forward with vereen out for the foreseeable future? Any pats homers have updates on him?

with this team and this coach . wow its always never a a strong future unless our name is tom brady imo

No, I "believe" because he actually HAS missed games. He missed 2 full games last year with injuries and parts of others (and that's not even counting his suspension) and he missed the first 2 this year. Out of a possible total of 19 games going back to last year, he's played 11, and not all of those 11 were even complete games. He's not like a Welker, who was permanently "questionable" but never missed a game.

I'm talking about tomorrow not his career.

I agree that he does seem to always be dinged and questionable to play. This makes me not want to start him.

I'm talking about tomorrow not his career.

Exactly - all that matters is right now - he just needs to be healthy enough to keep carving out a role for himself. Maybe he's not great for dynasty given the injury history, but for redraft......and for having a RB who can possibly help your team get some mid season wins right now.....I just want to know if he's healthy now.

CBS has their unreliable red cross next to his name with a questionable (knee) tag. I'm not sure if this is something new or just continuing from before last week. If it's just from before last week, it sure didn't seem to slow him down.

Fock CBS red cross. This is the Belichick 'doubtful' designation we're talking about here......means nothing. I'm almost sure Bolden will play tomorrow. But tomorrow, I'm stuck between Rice and Bolden. If Rice doesn't suit up and Bolden plays, my decision is easy. But Rice could try to give it a go and be far less than 100%, In that case, I'm between a rock and a hard place with not enough information to make a good decision.

Exactly - all that matters is right now - he just needs to be healthy enough to keep carving out a role for himself. Maybe he's not great for dynasty given the injury history, but for redraft......and for having a RB who can possibly help your team get some mid season wins right now.....I just want to know if he's healthy now.

CBS has their unreliable red cross next to his name with a questionable (knee) tag. I'm not sure if this is something new or just continuing from before last week. If it's just from before last week, it sure didn't seem to slow him down.

You're not getting it. The point is the guy can't be relied upon to play, tomorrow or any given game, because of his tendency to get hurt. It limits his value in any format.

Take this weekend, for example. I could use him in the flex spot in a PPR league, but if he doesn't go I'd be pretty screwed since the Pats play the night game. So he'll be sitting on my bench. What use is that?

You're not getting it. The point is the guy can't be relied upon to play, tomorrow or any given game, because of his tendency to get hurt. It limits his value in any format.

Take this weekend, for example. I could use him in the flex spot in a PPR league, but if he doesn't go I'd be pretty screwed since the Pats play the night game. So he'll be sitting on my bench. What use is that?

By my count he missed the first two weeks of the season with a knee injury and weeks 7 and 8 with another knee injury sustained in the 2nd quarter of week 6. Neither injuries were serious ACL or MCL tears. And of course he was suspended for the month of November (4 games) for PEDs. So he was out a great deal of the season, but he was behind Vereen, Woodhead,and Ridley on the depth chart anyway. I think you are putting the injury prone tag on him with a very little sample size to base it on.

By my count he missed the first two weeks of the season with a knee injury and weeks 7 and 8 with another knee injury sustained in the 2nd quarter of week 6. Neither injuries were serious ACL or MCL tears. And of course he was suspended for the month of November (4 games) for PEDs. But i think you are putting the injury prone tag on him with very little to base it on.

The guy has missed 8 games out of a possible 19 in his career.

And he didn't even play at all in some of the games he didn't miss.

Maybe things change but for now he deserves the "unreliable" label.

When you are 4th on the RB depth chart, you aren't going to see the field very much, healthy or not. You are looking at a glass half empty.

I see a glass at least half full. He was a UDFA who made the team and contributed extremely well when he was called upon. He's a power RB with enough speed to the corner as well as good receiving hands who averaged almost 5 YPC last year in limited action.

When you are 4th on the RB depth chart, you aren't going to see the field very much, healthy or not. You are looking at a glass half empty.

I see a glass at least half full. He was a UDFA who made the team and contributed extremely well when he was called upon. He's a power RB with enough speed to the corner as well as good receiving hands who averaged almost 5 YPC last year in limited action.

Oh I see the upside as well and think he's a great speculative hold. Just saying I'd temper expectations until he proved reliable.

Now watch him post 100, 40 and 2 today to make me eat my words ;)

would you drop him to pick up Broyles? I have McCoy, Moreno, Bernard, Bell, Tate, Bolden and Vereen on IR, WR wise i have Hartline, Gordon, and White starting with Cobb and Amendola on the bench. Broyles would be coming in to start for White.

would you drop him to pick up Broyles? I have McCoy, Moreno, Bernard, Bell, Tate, Bolden and Vereen on IR, WR wise i have Hartline, Gordon, and White starting with Cobb and Amendola on the bench. Broyles would be coming in to start for White.

I would not. RB depth is much more valuable than WR depth.

By my count he missed the first two weeks of the season with a knee injury and weeks 7 and 8 with another knee injury sustained in the 2nd quarter of week 6. Neither injuries were serious ACL or MCL tears. And of course he was suspended for the month of November (4 games) for PEDs. So he was out a great deal of the season, but he was behind Vereen, Woodhead,and Ridley on the depth chart anyway. I think you are putting the injury prone tag on him with a very little sample size to base it on.

Case in point - exits yet another game early. Knee again. Not even much contact on the play. Although, if your alternative was Rice, I guess you were screwed either way.

Bolden is a special teamer, so he'll be suited up and could likely get some of Ridley's work. Worth a speculative add I guess if you have room. But this is a backfield Id stay far away from if you can.

Most people would have said that Ridley was an uninspiring choice to put in your line up. Now take a guy that was behind Ridley and will most likely split a few of his carries with James James White and you have even less of an exciting option. I think this probably leads to more leaning on Brady and Vereen. It can also be added that if you look at New England's future schedule I don't see too many (if any) spots where you could play Bolden.

Most people would have said that Ridley was an uninspiring choice to put in your line up. Now take a guy that was behind Ridley and will most likely split a few of his carries with James James White and you have even less of an exciting option. I think this probably leads to more leaning on Brady and Vereen. It can also be added that if you look at New England's future schedule I don't see too many (if any) spots where you could play Bolden.

I agree that, if anything, it bumps guys in the passing attack: Gronk, Edelman, Vereen, LaFell

A decent fantasy player could emerge between James White and Brandon Bolden. Hard to say which though. And we're talking a flex play at best anyway

So does Vereen turn into an every down back or is he still the 'passing game' running back.

I don't think they want Vereen being a 300 carry type. My guess is his workload stays about the same and a mix of Bolden and White takes Ridley's role

Bolden's best game was week 4 2012, went 16/137/1 vs BUF. The next week he went 14/54/0 and for the most part that was the last time he made any noise. Last year week 11 he went 13/58/1.

Ridley's role was totally up and down this year. He had games of 19, 25 and 27 carries and games of 5 and 8 carries.

So does Vereen turn into an every down back

not a chance

So the concensus here is that Vereen's value stays the same?

yes.

I don't see Vereen becoming a "bell cow" at all.

Bolden may fill in for Ridley - but keep an eye on James White and Jonas Grey too - White lacks experience but maybe has more upside, Grey looked great in pre-season this year.

And don't forget Benjarvus Green Ellis is available too - if NE gets desperate, he's a guy who know the system.

So no, I don't think Vereen's role changes - I think NE looks at multiple other options for that "between the tackles" runner.

Belichik makes owning any NE RB a risky prospect.

Like Blount last year? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Like Blount last year? :rolleyes:

I think youre remembering Blounts two huge games in week 17 (after most leagues playoffs are over) and in the first round of the playoffs (after all leagues playoffs are over) and not remembering the other 16 weeks where he was the very definition of fungible

*waits for everyone to look up fungible*.

Standard scoring (Hell PPR would hardly be any different, he caught all of 2 passes last year)

If you were genius enough to start Blount in your week 16 Super Bowl after that 15 week heaping pile of inconsistency, hats off to you. I could see where some owners may have used him in a week 17 SB after his big game week 16, but it still doesnt change the fact that for the vast majority of 2013, Blount was exactly everything we expect from a NE RB these days.