Sign in to follow this  
Antiramie

Amendola/Edelman Week 5

If Amendola plays, do you start him this week (with the risk of reinjury)?

On that same note, what do you do with Edelman? Immediate bench or does he still have WR3 value even with Amendola in the lineup?

I have Edelman in 2 leagues and have been wondering the same thing.

It's not fair ... Gronkowski is the best TE in the league when healthy. Prolly even with a bad hangover ... best in the league.

Gronk, if he returns this season, will get hurt again. He's just too physical and not everyone can be as durable as guys like Marshawn Lynch.

Amendola is done. that pulled groin isn't healing this season. He'll return and then he'll sit right back down.

Edelman and Thompkins will be players all season. Dobson too.

Keep in mind.....I do not have the exact numbers but in week 1 this yr vs buffalo Amendola played 51 or so snaps and Edelman played in 78 snaps. Edelman didnt come off the field when amendola came in.

I feel like the kid who hurt his neck in Sunday Night football aaron dobson is the odd man out.

Edelman may lose some targets but his YPC will go Way up. Still a strong #3 WR Weak #2 imo.

It's not fair ... Gronkowski is the best TE in the league when healthy. Prolly even with a bad hangover ... best in the league.

Jimmy Graham and Jordan Cameron are giving him a run for his money this season.

I would go with Amendola if healthy, they got him to be the top WR.

You can also post WDIS matchup questions here and see what others think.

Nope. Graham is more athletic and talented than Gronk. Gronk is just a big guy with good hands.

Run away ... run far, far away.

Get out of all NE WRs while you still can ... release the Gronk:

why do you say that? Edelman has been an FF easter egg so far and still not much downside in sight unless I'm missing something... Brady still healthy, the hoodie still pacing, gronk and amendola still hurt, did the Browns trade AP to the pats in some kinda Herschel 2.0 ponzi scheme?

the pats barely run, why avoid a healthy starting target in NE??

If you're not going to use Amendola on the weeks when he's actually going to play, then you might as well drop him. You have to strike while the iron is hot with that guy.

On that same note, what do you do with Edelman? Immediate bench or does he still have WR3 value even with Amendola in the lineup?

the pats at wr and rb are just a pain in the ?

We are entering 4 weeks with this injury. It was initially thought to be a 2-6 week injury. Won't surprise me one bit if Amendola doesn't return until week 7.

Why anyone is still on the amendola band wagon is a mystery, it's not like waiting around for Megatron to get over a sore throat. It is about coin flip odds he gets in half a season at this point isn't it? Holding on to Wallace seems like a more rewarding pipe dream....

Why anyone is still on the amendola band wagon is a mystery, it's not like waiting around for Megatron to get over a sore throat. It is about coin flip odds he gets in half a season at this point isn't it? Holding on to Wallace seems like a more rewarding pipe dream....

This. Didn't get the hype during the draft, don't get it now.

Thinking about benching Edleman for M. Floyd this week. Kind of gut that Floyd is due to score.

LOL

If I meant Malcon that would be a very bold prediction.

Which is why I LOL, it was the first thing that poped into my mind

The Michael Floyd hunch gamble doesn't pay out... Trust me, I've tried.

Between him and Edleman though? Edleman could also easily see the 6/70/0 type of game again...

I think you have to start Amendola, especially in PPR leagues, immediately assuming they plan to give him a full compliment of snaps. He will become a target monster again.

As far as Edelman goes, I'm still starting him this week in PPR leagues. Week 1 he has 7 for 79 and 2 TD's on 9 targets. Amendola had 10 for 104 on 14 targets. So I think they both can produce (at least while Gronk is out).

I still like Edelman, he was the only one catching week 2, I think everyone is playing catch up. Thompkins seems to have earned Brady's attn, Dobson I'm not sure... amendola, when he plays a month straight I'll back off my opinion that he is FF kryptonite.

This. Didn't get the hype during the draft, don't get it now.

??? What's to get? It all depends on your situation. If your winning and/or have a respectable record without him, why not hold?

Guys like you always look at everything in a vacuum, in isolation but don't see the big picture.

Chances are you won't get fair value for him for his potential upside for the amount you invested in him during the draft, so why trade him?

What's worse than Amendola are guys not living up close to their expected ADP and guys have to play them. Chris Johnson, MJD, Bowe, Nicks, Spiller, Roddy White, etc come to mind off the top of my head.

With Danny, you can at least find a suitable replacement like I did by trading off bench players at high value to replace his production rather than sell him low.

Instead of being a critic, maybe you should consider buying right now instead of saying I don't want any part of him.

??? What's to get? It all depends on your situation. If your winning and/or have a respectable record without him, why not hold?

Guys like you always look at everything in a vacuum, in isolation but don't see the big picture.

Chances are you won't get fair value for him for his potential upside for the amount you invested in him during the draft, so why trade him?

What's worse than Amendola are guys not living up close to their expected ADP and guys have to play them. Chris Johnson, MJD, Bowe, Nicks, Spiller, Roddy White, etc come to mind off the top of my head.

With Danny, you can at least find a suitable replacement like I did by trading off bench players at high value to replace his production rather than sell him low.

Instead of being a critic, maybe you should consider buying right now instead of saying I don't want any part of him.

Um, you're both missing and confirming my point. Everyone knew or should have known during the draft that he'd missed something like 20 of the 32 previous games, so they should have built into their draft strategy the risk premium for getting him. To me, that meant he was worth a mid/late round pick at best, so it was insane to draft him where I'd have to draft him. In my 10-team PPR league, he went in the 5th round -- before Bush, Sproles, Decker, Gronk, Colston, and Murray, and right after Cruz. In my 16-team PPR league, he went early in the 4th -- ahead of most of those guys plus Jordy, Garcon, etc. The central concepts of drafting to me are minimizing risk and maximizing value. IMHO, I don't think anyone can seriously argue, either before the season or especially now with 20/20 hindsight, that Amendola does either.

So much for the draft. As for during the season, the point is not that it's impossible to plug in some late-round or WW scrub or scrubs to basically get a marginal WR3 to hold the fort (I would be interested to know who you're referring to when you said you've been "trading off bench players at high value to replace his production" because the like of Floyd, Hopkins, Givens ain't getting you there) until Amendola steps up. The point is opportunity cost. You wouldn't HAVE to do any of that if you had accurately factored in the rock-solid certainty that this guy misses a substantial amount of time. Every year. You'd be locking in Decker or whoever every week instead of scrambling around with subs AND wasting a roster spot on a guy who's played 25% of the season so far.

Now, if your argument is that you're just stuck with him now and you need to ride him out, sure. I never said you should drop Amendola. (Hell, I drafted Spiller in both my leagues, so I know what you mean.) I'm only saying that I don't get the tsunami of hype about Amendola coming back and its effect on the fantasy-relevant guys on the NE offense. He's not Megatron, as the OP said. There's a pretty decent chance that starting this week, he's not even better than Edelman ROS if you factor in likelihood of injury.

I have Edelman and Amendola and I'm not sure which one to play.

I am playing them both as of right now. We will see if that's the case on Sunday. If amendola is out I gotta go with someone else at my flex.

There's a pretty decent chance that starting this week, he's not even better than Edelman ROS if you factor in likelihood of injury.]

You had me until this statement. So when on draft day you factor in the likelyhood that Amendola was/is injury prone, and that his status so far this season has been to no one's surprise, I can assume that you would have valued and drafted either of these players around the same time? Perhaps, even Edleman higher because he is apparently more dependable?

All of that aside, I just don't know why so many like Edleman... I guess if you play heavy PPR leagues he has some value, but I really don't think he is all that good... Even though because he is small, white, and plays the slot we can label him as another "Wes Welker-type" receiver.

You had me until this statement. So when on draft day you factor in the likelyhood that Amendola was/is injury prone, and that his status so far this season has been to no one's surprise, I can assume that you would have valued and drafted either of these players around the same time? Perhaps, even Edleman higher because he is apparently more dependable?

All of that aside, I just don't know why so many like Edleman... I guess if you play heavy PPR leagues he has some value, but I really don't think he is all that good... Even though because he is small, white, and plays the slot we can label him as another "Wes Welker-type" receiver.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Edelman is in fact the 6th best receiver in the league, either in real life or in standard scoring fantasy (I was referring only to PPR in my comments). And I would not have drafted him above Amendola had I drafted either of them, although it would be much closer than most (say, 9th round vs. 15th). But let's say Edelman averages 10 points a game ROS, which is reasonable (6/40, 5/50, the odd TD, whatever). That's 110 points over 11 games, factoring in NE's bye. I don't think it's a stretch to say that of NE's remaining 11 games, Amendola probably will miss 5 or 6. If that's right, then Amendola would have to average 18.3-22.0 points per game when he plays. That's Marshall/Dez/Julio territory. If he misses just 3, he has to be where Fitzgerald and Colston are now. You get the point. As I said, there's a "pretty decent chance" -- not a certainty or likelihood, but a chance -- that ROS plays out in Edelman's favor. All that plus he effectively occupies two roster spaces?

Um, you're both missing and confirming my point. Everyone knew or should have known during the draft that he'd missed something like 20 of the 32 previous games, so they should have built into their draft strategy the risk premium for getting him. To me, that meant he was worth a mid/late round pick at best, so it was insane to draft him where I'd have to draft him. In my 10-team PPR league, he went in the 5th round -- before Bush, Sproles, Decker, Gronk, Colston, and Murray, and right after Cruz. In my 16-team PPR league, he went early in the 4th -- ahead of most of those guys plus Jordy, Garcon, etc. The central concepts of drafting to me are minimizing risk and maximizing value. IMHO, I don't think anyone can seriously argue, either before the season or especially now with 20/20 hindsight, that Amendola does either.

So much for the draft. As for during the season, the point is not that it's impossible to plug in some late-round or WW scrub or scrubs to basically get a marginal WR3 to hold the fort (I would be interested to know who you're referring to when you said you've been "trading off bench players at high value to replace his production" because the like of Floyd, Hopkins, Givens ain't getting you there) until Amendola steps up. The point is opportunity cost. You wouldn't HAVE to do any of that if you had accurately factored in the rock-solid certainty that this guy misses a substantial amount of time. Every year. You'd be locking in Decker or whoever every week instead of scrambling around with subs AND wasting a roster spot on a guy who's played 25% of the season so far.

Now, if your argument is that you're just stuck with him now and you need to ride him out, sure. I never said you should drop Amendola. (Hell, I drafted Spiller in both my leagues, so I know what you mean.) I'm only saying that I don't get the tsunami of hype about Amendola coming back and its effect on the fantasy-relevant guys on the NE offense. He's not Megatron, as the OP said. There's a pretty decent chance that starting this week, he's not even better than Edelman ROS if you factor in likelihood of injury.

Let's discuss your first point. In my 12-man PPR league all of those guys went before Danny with the exception of Decker who's 3rd in pecking order in Denver. I drafted him mid-4th round because of his upside and the only guy I almost took was V-Jax there. In a 10-man league there is no way I'd draft Danny over freakin Sproles (who I took mid-second in my 12-man league btw) Bush, (went early 2nd) Gronk (early 4th who hasn't stepped on the field and we don't know when and if he can stay healthy too), Colston (went early 4th), Murray (early 4th and he hasn't proved he can stay healthy yet either BTW). Garcon was dealing with a foot injury and still no guarantees he can stay healthy ROS and Jordy came into the season questionable with knee surgery.

It's football. I don't like to predict injuries but prefer to go with high upside guys early and often in the draft. Which brings me to my 2nd point. I was able to sell high a combo of Joique Bell and Marlon Brown to acquire Desean Jackson to offset Danny's missing production. But I get your point and was willing to accept the risk and still am to tell you the truth because if Danny can stay healthy I drafted him at a WR2 price for WR1 potential.

Come on now comparing him to Edelman who's had a history of injuries himself. No guts no glory man. I drafted Danny on is immense upside potential and I still believe he can give me that. Dude hasn't even played yet and I started getting trade offers for him.

Owners know Amendola is a game changer and to me he's well worth the risk. Especially since I won't get anything close to his worth in trade value.

Why anyone is still questioning Edelman in PPR at this point is beyond me. The guy is on pace for 136 catches. Obviously he won't get that much but no doubt he gets 90-100 at least. The comparisons to Welker are justified because he IS the new Wes Welker in the Patriots offense. Amendola and/or Gronk returning will not make a difference.

It's football. I don't like to predict injuries but prefer to go with high upside guys early and often in the draft. Which brings me to my 2nd point. I was able to sell high a combo of Joique Bell and Marlon Brown to acquire Desean Jackson to offset Danny's missing production. But I get your point and was willing to accept the risk and still am to tell you the truth because if Danny can stay healthy I drafted him at a WR2 price for WR1 potential.

Come on now comparing him to Edelman who's had a history of injuries himself. No guts no glory man. I drafted Danny on is immense upside potential and I still believe he can give me that. Dude hasn't even played yet and I started getting trade offers for him.

On your first point, fair enough. I've been burned in years past by high upside/injury prone guys, so I prefer either to go with someone safer or to reach a bit for someone lower-ADP'ed who I've done my home on and believe in.

Good job selling Joique and Brown for DeSean. That's pretty one-sided in your favor so long as Reggie's upright. I did something similar in another league (Powell + Givens for Demaryius) and am obviously happy with that.

On the final point, I'm comparing him not as a real-life receiver but as a fantasy substitute. We all have to ask where Brady's directing those 600 or so targets this year, and so long as Edelman stays healthy (an if in itself as you point out), I think he has solid PPR value because he'll get about 100 of them (he already has 43, 6th in the NFL). Again, issues are an owner's risk aversion and game-to-game consistency. Not saying Edelman will ever be draftable at Amendola's level, but the production is there, as I'm happily finding out.

Why anyone is still questioning Edelman in PPR at this point is beyond me. The guy is on pace for 136 catches. Obviously he won't get that much but no doubt he gets 90-100 at least. The comparisons to Welker are justified because he IS the new Wes Welker in the Patriots offense. Amendola and/or Gronk returning will not make a difference.

Yeah, what's the downside with Edelman? He is ppr gold, he hasn't had a game with less than 7 catches. And as someone else mentioned, the game Amendola played is the game in which in Edelman had 2 td's. I'm rollin with him regardless this year. In ppr he's pretty much guaranteed 10-12 points as his basement, and if he scores it's a bonus.