Sign in to follow this  
FFGirl22

Vikings signed Josh Freeman

Unless your QBs get points for handoffs... This move makes no impact on fantasy what so ever.

I don't think it makes much sense for Freeman or the Vikes.

Ponder is not that much better than Cassel and Freeman's not much better than either. You've got 3 QBs who are about equal. When you got 3, you got zero!

Buffalo made much greater sense short term and Oakland long term, especially with the OC, unless they're convinced Pryor is the guy.

Even Cleveland and Jax made sense as did SF as a backup.

Don't see MInny as a good fit for Freeman.

I think Freeman is better than the two they have, but I don't think he'll learn the playbook for weeks. I guess they can use the wrist pads with all the plays on them like they used to a few years ago, until all the current top QBs just memorized every single play.

it def makes sense for freeman, they're paying him 3 mil on top of the 8 mil from the bucs. plus, he's got a better chance to start long term compared to buffalo.

but fantasy wise, yeah, I don't see this having an impact.

Cassel is better than Freeman probably.

Cassel isn't better than Ponder. And Ponder is a top 3 worst starting QB in the league (Ponder, Gabbert............). Top 2 worst starting QB in the league

Freeman=Cassel>>>>>>>>>>Ponder.

I live here, I see every snap, not sure how anyone can see it different. Cassel did things in one game that Ponder isn't capable of doing physically or mentally. Not saying Cassel is the next Johnny Unitas but at least he's decisive on his throws. Long term solution, probably not.

So, does Ponder get released once Freeman is up to speed? I can't see them carrying 3 veteran QBs, and they're obviously keeping Freeman. While I guess its possible for them to carry 3, I think it more likely they would just move on with Freeman and Cassel and let Ponder get a fresh start somewhere else.

Cassel >/= Freeman >---------------- Ponder.

I dont think Freeman has shown that he is anything better than an avg at best QB. Mins best chance to win is start Cassel until he either stops producing or gets hurt. Then put Freeman in to see what he has as soon as he learns enough of the playbook and they are mathematically out of the playoff race.

1.If Freeman plays well - franchise and give him a year to show its not a fluke..if he does.. sign him to a long deal.

2.if he struggles and sucks in locker room - let him find a new team next season and draft a QB.

Personally i think Cassel is the best QB on the team and gives them the best chance to win... of course its Min, so they'll find a way to screw this up somehow.

Cassel >/= Freeman >---------------- Ponder.

I dont think Freeman has shown that he is anything better than an avg at best QB. Mins best chance to win is start Cassel until he either stops producing or gets hurt. Then put Freeman in to see what he has as soon as he learns enough of the playbook and they are mathematically out of the playoff race.

1.If Freeman plays well - franchise and give him a year to show its not a fluke..if he does.. sign him to a long deal.

2.if he struggles and sucks in locker room - let him find a new team next season and draft a QB.

Personally i think Cassel is the best QB on the team and gives them the best chance to win... of course its Min, so they'll find a way to screw this up somehow.

I agree that Cassel gives them the best chance to win but then this move doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. They didn't pick up Freeman just to have him ride the bench the rest of the year. And it's not like they really need a backup with Ponder there.

I guess they can use the wrist pads with all the plays on them like they used to a few years ago, until all the current top QBs just memorized every single play.

It wasn't that long ago when QBs called their own plays.

There is often too much placed on measurables when it comes to how the NFL does its drafts.

This guys can do a 40 in this time. How often does that happen in a game, without pads, and no one about to hit you.

blah blah freaking blah.

Ponder - this guy should not have been drafted. Not ahead of Dalton, not ahead of Capernick. Of the three, Dalton maybe the unless Capernick becomes a pocket passer.

Ponder - his measurable he is awful with. Is passing the ball, on time, on target, in the correct spot, with zip, rifled throwing, and good decision making. He leads on behind, low, and high passing categories. He has stated he is awful at the game Horse. Shouldn't this be the basketball game of a QB?

Comments being leaked from the Huddle is he has no control of the Huddle. No Huddle presence = no leadership.

Freeman - I am concerned. Though given what I have heard about TB right now. I will give the benefit of the doubt. But his passing highlights, of what I have seen. Concerns me that he is just a bit better at passing than Ponder. But as I do not watch Bucs often. do not know what should be expected there.

Cassel, I have in mind what he did in Pittsburgh. Which was exactly what was supposed to have been done. Chiefs fans have question his consistency. I didn't see that issue in one game. What I saw in that game suggests staying with him.

Bethel Thomas - What I saw of this guy in preseason is a strong arm, limited accuracy. Where as Ponder is a weak arm, BT was his inversion.

I would have rather dropped Ponder than BT. Rather have BT on practice squad than Ponder anywhere in this organization.

BTW, before you get haughty on putting a franchise on Freeman. Realize the cost and know it won't be worth it for him.

I agree that Cassel gives them the best chance to win but then this move doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. They didn't pick up Freeman just to have him ride the bench the rest of the year. And it's not like they really need a backup with Ponder there.

True... but do you really expect Freeman to come in, learn the new playbook, terminology, jell with coaches/ players, find rhythm with receivers - in one week?

Problem in Min is that they are stuck between a rock and a hard place...

1. if they give the job to Freeman right of the bat -its unfair to Freeman and wont truly show his potential as he is learning the toughest position on the go. If he struggles early, (which should be expected) fan base will call for his head, which will hurt his fragile ego.

2. if they stay with Cassel and he is doing well, then they switch to Freeman and Freeman struggles - fan base will rebel and HC will get run out of town. AP will punch the coach in the mouth.. and Cassel gets pissed and is gone the following season.

Thing is, the next 3 games are very winnable with decent play. Eagles, Falcons, Panthers... schedule gets tougher after that. Agreed, you have to see what you have in Freeman...If i was the coach.. i'd play Cassel vs Eagles. Then play Freeman vs Falcons and Panthers. It's funny how much better this team could play with some form of at least avg threat in the passing game which will open up lanes for Martin and with pretty good D.

If freeman sucks against Falcons/ Panthers and Cassel played well against Eagles - go back to Cassel - dump/ trade freeman in off season.

have they even decided on who gets the start this week?

I'd assume Freeman is at least 2 weeks (and probably 3) away from being the starter but I had heard that Minny wanted to start Ponder again if he was healthy enough to play.

Maybe a Vikings homie can give us the latest

I for one think its a good move, low risk with high possible reward.

It wasn't that long ago that everyone was talking about Freeman as a potential franchise quarterback his fall from grace has been unusually swift. I am very suspicious this has everything to do with Schiano's poor character and judgement.

All that said Freemans performance over his last 10 games is historically bad, like Blaine Gabbert bad. And mentioning Gabbert makes me wonder, if the Vikings think they are out of the playoff race this could be a great tanking move as well. You just throw in Freeman and see if he sinks or swims and either you improve at QB or your in the running for one of the top QB's in this years draft.

If they do go into tanking mode they should trade Peterson, he deserves better than to waste the last couple years of his prime on a rebuild, but I am not sure they can with his popularity. Can you imagine what they could get for Peterson if Trent Richardson is worth a first rounder?

• Like 1

I think its a case of bad coaching that led to Freemans Quick decline.

Freemans stats have always been decent. his first full season as a starter he had 3451 yards, 25 TD and 6 INTs

his second season he regressed a bit with 3592 yards, 16 TD and 22 INT's

his third season under the new coach he threw for 4065 yards, 27 TD's and 17 INTs. Most of those INT's came late in the season. I certainly dont think it was his fault they were 7-9.

this year there was a slow start and suddenly hes out of a job. I dont get it.

anyhow, I suspect this has been brewing since the off season. I dont think it happened overnight.

anyhow, I am more confused by Minnys committment to Ponder who looks like he'd be lucky to hold a job as a second string QB. I do think they have not given up on the playoffs. the division is still wide open but they cant afford too many more early losses or the hole will be to big to climb out of.

I would start Matt Cassel if I were in charge there and re-evaluate once Freeman has sufficiently learned the playbook.

that being said, and to echo other comments on this thread, it seems that Minny does not seem to make their QB decisions with a lot of common sense, so it would not surprise me to see them start Ponder again.

Unless your QBs get points for handoffs... This move makes no impact on fantasy what so ever.

I dunno bout that... picking up freeman kind of solidifies Walsh as the number two scoring threat, behind AP :)

I also think Adding freeman increases jennings value (assuming Freeman gets to start at some point)

I dunno bout that... picking up freeman kind of solidifies Walsh as the number two scoring threat, behind AP :)

Actually.... if Minny scores more TD's wouldnt they also be likely to score less FG's?

I'm not so sure about how this affects the kicker. I agree there will also be more red zone opportunities.... but there is a tradeoff there somewhere.

I remember one year where the Indy Kicker was one of the lowest scoring kickers because Manning drove for TD's every time. no FG's to be had.

just food for thought.

Actually.... if Minny scores more TD's wouldnt they also be likely to score less FG's?

I'm not so sure about how this affects the kicker. I agree there will also be more red zone opportunities.... but there is a tradeoff there somewhere.

I remember one year where the Indy Kicker was one of the lowest scoring kickers because Manning drove for TD's every time. no FG's to be had.

just food for thought.

correct... I was bagging on freeman :clap:

I definatly think his decline ishas a lot to do with coaching. Under Morris he was a quality starter then Schiano (ms?) Comes in and its all downhill. Here's to Frazier/Musgrave getting hbis mojo back!

There is often too much placed on measurables when it comes to how the NFL does its drafts.

This guys can do a 40 in this time. How often does that happen in a game, without pads, and no one about to hit you.

blah blah freaking blah.

Ponder - this guy should not have been drafted. Not ahead of Dalton, not ahead of Capernick. Of the three, Dalton maybe the unless Capernick becomes a pocket passer.

Ponder - his measurable he is awful with. Is passing the ball, on time, on target, in the correct spot, with zip, rifled throwing, and good decision making. He leads on behind, low, and high passing categories. He has stated he is awful at the game Horse. Shouldn't this be the basketball game of a QB?

Comments being leaked from the Huddle is he has no control of the Huddle. No Huddle presence = no leadership.

Freeman - I am concerned. Though given what I have heard about TB right now. I will give the benefit of the doubt. But his passing highlights, of what I have seen. Concerns me that he is just a bit better at passing than Ponder. But as I do not watch Bucs often. do not know what should be expected there.

Cassel, I have in mind what he did in Pittsburgh. Which was exactly what was supposed to have been done. Chiefs fans have question his consistency. I didn't see that issue in one game. What I saw in that game suggests staying with him.

Bethel Thomas - What I saw of this guy in preseason is a strong arm, limited accuracy. Where as Ponder is a weak arm, BT was his inversion.

I would have rather dropped Ponder than BT. Rather have BT on practice squad than Ponder anywhere in this organization.

BTW, before you get haughty on putting a franchise on Freeman. Realize the cost and know it won't be worth it for him.

:wacko:

just food for thought.

the correct way to look at it is Freeman helps them move the ball better and is just good enough to get them to the redzone only to stall out. Tampa's kicker last year was top 5 if I remember right.

This year it seems the mantra for why an NFL team continues to start a guy that sucks ... "You don't trade X for a guy mid season just to warm the bench!"

Freeman sucks. Nothing to see here. Is he better than Cassel? Yeah ... but that's not a real high bar to hafta clear. Freeman is only rosterable in the deepest leagues, or teams desperate for a QB.

Slight bump to Simpson and Jennings long term ... but this has zero chance of being some amazing, perfect trade where Freeman turns into a stud.

Rudolph likely is waivable. The Vikings will continue to be the Adrian Peterson show.

+ 1 Freeman has regressed every year since his rookie year. He went to the absolute wrong place when he signed with Minny. They had a great QB coach in Darrell Bevell, but since he left, they have no one to TEACH the position. Freeman has all the physical tools, but he has no ability to read the whole field offensively, much less read and interpret a defensive scheme pre-snap and make a hot read while the play is developing.

He should have gone to a place that could actually teach him the mental part of how to play QB.

+ 1 Freeman has regressed every year since his rookie year. He went to the absolute wrong place when he signed with Minny. They had a great QB coach in Darrell Bevell, but since he left, they have no one to TEACH the position. Freeman has all the physical tools, but he has no ability to read the whole field offensively, much less read and interpret a defensive scheme pre-snap and make a hot read while the play is developing.

He should have gone to a place that could actually teach him the mental part of how to play QB.

agreed. or make it simple for him. one read, then scramble and go deep or dump off if its there. that's how i'd use him, more like how he was used early in his career.

For people in 1 QB leagues, you can safely ignore Freeman, unless you're in need of a bye week fill-in from Week 7 to Week 10 (See below). For people in 2 QB leagues, assuming you don't have much depth at the position, I think Freeman needs to be picked up now.

Clearly, in 2 QB leagues, the Top 20 QBs should be starting every week. I think Josh Freeman should be in that mix the rest of the season (at least after Week 6). Here's my breakdown:

1 - Cassel is the starter for Week 6, but the Vikings didn't just drop $3 mil on Freeman to warm the bench for the rest of the season. It's a larger amount than what they spent on Cassel for the whole season. Plus Cassel plays against a stout Carolina defense this week, 1st in fantasy football against opposing QBs. Cassel will likely have a poor game, thereby creating the justification to start Freeman in Week 7.

2 - Minnesota's bye week was in Week 5, so Freeman likely won't miss a week from Week 7 forward.

3 - Minnesota's schedule is soft. Here are Freeman's likely first four opponents: @NYG, GB, @DAL, WAS. It's really almost impossible to get a softer schedule than that. These are four of the worst teams in fantasy against opposing QBs. The rest of the season isn't bad either, @GB, CHI, and @BAL to end the regular season, then PHI and @CIN for the playoffs. The only matchup to worry about is @SEA in Week 12. Outside of QBs playing a lot of NFC East opponents the rest of the season, Freeman probably has the easiest remaining schedule.

So there you have it. Freeman's a must own in my opinion for 2QB leagues, and a great bye week fill-in for Weeks 7 through 10 in single QB leagues.

I'd be pretty miffed if I was Cassel. They brought him in to start if/when Ponder faltered. Well Ponder faltered and Cassel came in and played well to get him their first win. Then they run out and sign Freeman?

I know Cassel isn't the future so it does make sense for the Vike's, but the poor fella did everything that could've been asked of him and will likely lose his job regardless.

I'd be pretty miffed if I was Cassel. They brought him in to start if/when Ponder faltered. Well Ponder faltered and Cassel came in and played well to get him their first win. Then they run out and sign Freeman?

I know Cassel isn't the future so it does make sense for the Vike's, but the poor fella did everything that could've been asked of him and will likely lose his job regardless.

eh cassel is lucky anyone signed him after the historically bad year he had in KC last year

3 - Minnesota's schedule is soft. Here are Freeman's likely first four opponents: @NYG, GB, @DAL, WAS. It's really almost impossible to get a softer schedule than that. These are four of the worst teams in fantasy against opposing QBs. The rest of the season isn't bad either...

I disagree with most of your post suggesting that Freeman only has value in 2 QB leagues. For the reason I quoted above, I think Freeman has high QB2 value rest of the way.

In addition to the schedule, keep in mind that the Vikings have a very good supporting cast for Freeman. Their line is solid, their receivers are good and they have the best back in football. Signing Freeman is absolutely not a move to manage the game and handoff to AD; this is a move to go deep and stretch the field to get that safety out of the box.

I'm not adding him yet. There's a chance that Cassel could have another good game, thus prolonging Freeman's time with the playbook, but if Cassel doesn't absolutely light things up against CAR, Freeman will like start against the Giants—the start of a sweet QB schedule.

I disagree with most of your post suggesting that Freeman only has value in 2 QB leagues. For the reason I quoted above, I think Freeman has high QB2 value rest of the way.

Yeah, I guess it depends on your QB situation in a single QB league (I only play in a 2 QB league myself). If you've got a stud QB (i.e. Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, etc.), I wouldn't mess around with Freeman except as a bye week fill-in. But if you've got a low-end QB1, I could definitely see doing some plug-and-play with Freeman after he's shown some ability to put up some fantasy points in Minnesota.

I agree about the supporting cast. You can't ask for a better back than AP. The receiving corps is solid with Jennings, Simpson, and Patterson. Rudolph is a good TE. The offensive line is good. This is a very nice situation for Freeman to prove he's a starting QB in the NFL, and he should hopefully be motivated to do so.