Sign in to follow this  
ricanrockers

Drafting Adrian Peterson

I drafted him #1 overall last year, and even though he had a good season, his numbers weren't what you would like from the first overall pick. One reason his numbers took a hit was the lack of a QB so defenses just stacked the line and dared Ponder or Cassell to throw. Their offense was not upgrade at all besides hiring Norv Turner as their OC. My question is will we see the old ADP or do we see a 31 year old running back in his declining years? Thoughts....

I drafted him #1 overall last year, and even though he had a good season, his numbers weren't what you would like from the first overall pick. One reason his numbers took a hit was the lack of a QB so defenses just stacked the line and dared Ponder or Cassell to throw. Their offense was not upgrade at all besides hiring Norv Turner as their OC. My question is will we see the old ADP or do we see a 31 year old running back in his declining years? Thoughts....

Well, he's 2 years away from being a 31 year old running back.

In between but more valuable in ppr

I'm going to have to disagree there. His career high for receptions is 43, and he's only hit 30 3 times.

He's not a terrible pass catcher, but he's not very reliable for anything more than a little dump off or a screen.

I think norvell will run more screens w AP to get him in space and save a little wear and tear

Ill take 45 catches with that!

Probably wouldn't take him 1st overall, but I wouldn't be afraid to take him in the top 3. I think he'll be better than last year, and I think Norv makes the difference, regardless of whether Cassel or Teddy is the QB. I believe the key to AP's success may be tied to Patterson and how well he adjusts to an expanded role on offense. If Norv uses Patterson correctly (and I believe he will), then Patterson is going to help stretch the field, which will keep defenses from stacking the box because there is another weapon on the outside to contend with in Patterson.

Norv knows how to use his personal, and I think he will get more out of Rudolph and Patterson, which will take some of attention off of AP. Norv's history suggests the Vikes offense will be much improved, regardless of who the QB is, and Norv has always had a top RB as his centerpiece. In Cleveland last year, there wasn't much talent at RB, but people might forget that Dion Lewis was tearing things up in preseason if I recall, and was staking claim on the starting RB job, until he broke his leg late in the preseason and missed the entire year.

My point is, even though the Vikes didn't upgrade of the offense, with a new coaching regime in place, I think the Vikes offense takes a step forward, and AP should be used more in the passing game than previously, as Norv will look for opportunities to get AP in space more. I'm buying AP this year personally.

Routinely going 1.03, which seems right for him. McCoy and Charles are being taken ahead of him, with Forte and others after.

Well, he's 2 years away from being a 31 year old running back.

My bad, he'll be 31 when the Vikings get a new stadium. CBS was saying would the Vikings want a 31 year old RB as their starter.

I'm going to have to disagree there. His career high for receptions is 43, and he's only hit 30 3 times.

He's not a terrible pass catcher, but he's not very reliable for anything more than a little dump off or a screen.

I see you're a Vikings fan, what are your prediction for Peterson this year?

Peterson will see the bench more, but he'll also catch more passes than he ever has. He's money in the red zone and he's on a team that should be able to move the ball well. The Vikings are a very good offense with a very good run blocking OL in need of a QB. If Cassel responds to Turner, or if Bridgewater earns the starting nod, then Peterson could return to the fantasy stratosphere. Plus, he seems to have a chip on his shoulder this year.

I see you're a Vikings fan, what are your prediction for Peterson this year?

I love the guy, but his age and mileage worry me. I do think bringing in Turner will help the offense as a whole, and hope Turner will use him more in the passing game (although that's an almost yearly refrain).

Barring injury, I do think he'll finish as one of the top backs. As for seeing the bench more, maybe. Asiata can be given the ball 30 times, but can only really go 3 yards then go down. McKinnon is interesting. He can be compared to a very raw, poor man's Percy Harvin. I think they'll try to get him the ball and see what he can do with his athleticism, but he's not someone I would think they'll pull AD for much.

I'd say third is fair for him, even in PPR. Just because of his monstrous ceiling.

top 5 pick. not first but easily as high as 3rd. not many safer options out there.

In PPR after McCoy and Charles would you take him before Forte?

Yes. Peterson's career track record indicates that he'll be Top 10 in rushing yds and TD. His career indicates that Forte has about a 50% chance of that happening.

So the only real reason to take Forte would be receptions. Last year he had 20 more than any season but his rookie year and if you'll look at the game breakdowns, that's largely a result of McCown.

Inclusding last year, Forte avg 3.7 rec for 32 yds per gm. Peterson 2 for 16.5.

I don't know your scoring or the value of those catches and yards, but history doesn't indicate that Cutler will utilize him as much in the passing game, while AD is in a situation where he may be used in that aspect of the offense more than ever. Then there's Peterson's production in the run game, whioch is significantly higher than Forte's.

To me, that makes it a clear cut decision.

I love the guy, but his age and mileage worry me. I do think bringing in Turner will help the offense as a whole, and hope Turner will use him more in the passing game (although that's an almost yearly refrain).

Barring injury, I do think he'll finish as one of the top backs. As for seeing the bench more, maybe. Asiata can be given the ball 30 times, but can only really go 3 yards then go down. McKinnon is interesting. He can be compared to a very raw, poor man's Percy Harvin. I think they'll try to get him the ball and see what he can do with his athleticism, but he's not someone I would think they'll pull AD for much.

I'd say third is fair for him, even in PPR. Just because of his monstrous ceiling.

Thanks!!

do you ask a dolphin how it swims? No

Or a eagle how it flies? No

That's right, you don't, because that's what they were made to do

You don't ask you just draft ADP

In ppr no i like him in the top four

The opinions in this thread are pretty accurate, hes top 3 material but an iffy no.1. Its hard to tie my horse to a vikings team that could start a rookie at QB. Yes weve all seen AP do great things with bad qbs, but thats an uphill climb he made as a miraculous youngster. Theres def one thing you dont do, and thats doubt that Peterson can do something. He cost enough of us the title after that injury season when we bumped him way down and paid for it.

One reason his numbers took a hit was the lack of a QB so defenses just stacked the line and dared Ponder or Cassell to throw..

lemme ask ya this ...

WHO THE FOCK WAS HIS QB THE YEAR HE APPROACHED THE SINGLE SEASON RUSHING YARDAGE RECORD??!?11!?

- insert jeopardy theme -

thaaaaat's right, it was PONDER!!1111!111

so, why was this overrated d-bag able to have a near record breaker WITH Ponder, but then have Ponder/Cassel blamed for jackoff Peterson having a "down" year??!111!11?

this focktard is the most nut-hugged foo' in fantasy ... you fanboys are major idiots.

but, pleasepleaseplease draft him if you are ahead of me ...

ADP IS DONE!!11111

IAMNEWPOSTERGUY11!111!111

lemme ask ya this ...

WHO THE FOCK WAS HIS QB THE YEAR HE APPROACHED THE SINGLE SEASON RUSHING YARDAGE RECORD??!?11!?

- insert jeopardy theme -

thaaaaat's right, it was PONDER!!1111!111

so, why was this overrated d-bag able to have a near record breaker WITH Ponder, but then have Ponder/Cassel blamed for jackoff Peterson having a "down" year??!111!11?

this focktard is the most nut-hugged foo' in fantasy ... you fanboys are major idiots.

but, pleasepleaseplease draft him if you are ahead of me ...

ADP IS DONE!!11111

IAMNEWPOSTERGUY11!111!111

Whoa....calm down there buddy, I think you just blew a blood vessel there!!

• Like 1

If I had the #1 pick in the draft I would take Peterson and I wouldn't think twice about it. I'd also handcuff Jerrick McKinnon to him, who might just get Sproles-like points even if Peterson remains healthy.

However, I play in auctions and my yearly strategy is to pretty much avoid everyone at the top end, everyone who would be considered first round guys.

For example, I can probably get CJ Spiller, Toby Gerhart and Cordarrelle Patterson for what it would cost me to draft Adrian Peterson.

Peterson isn't even top 3 IN HIS OWN DIVISION!!111!111!111

1. Lacy - BEAST. here's a tidbit, Rodgers comes back with a vengeance, and rips the league a new, fat one ... this kid benefits to the tune of 1,800 total yds, 12-15 tds. the GB offense will be friggin' LETHAL, back to the Super Bowl for them!!1!111111!

2. Forte - can easily see a scenario where he could end up #1 overall in ppr. that offense will be huge ... however, Rodgers >>>>>>> Cutler, so more love for Lacy. but Forte will get his.

3. Reggie Bush - yep, if he can stay healthy (BIG IF) .... BOOOOOMMMM!!!1!111! - easily over Petrrson.

i'll even go further ... guarantee Joique Bell finishes closer to Peterson than Peterson does to the three mentioned above. BANK!!1!111!

these taint lappers and nut huggers swingin' from ADP's sack are delusional fools!!11!111 it's OVAHHHHHHHHH!!11!111

i know from what i speak, i'm a middle aged dude with a receding hairline, and a slight paunch, BUT I'M workin on my gut!!111. anywhooooo, o've seen a lot of football in my day, and i play a ton of fantasy ,,. mostly for the league champion t-shirt and spiffy troohy ... if a few dolllars are won, i keep it on the low so the ol' ball and chain and rugrats don't hassle me, LOLLLZ!!!11!1

heed my advice, foo' !!111!

IAMTHESAGACIOUSPLAYERWHOGOESBYTHEHANDLEOFNEWPOSTERGUY!!111111!

New poster guy, you quickly need to become no poster guy

• Like 3

New poster guy, you quickly need to become no poster guy

no need to get personal, junior!!11!11 you just can't handle the truth that your man crush is DONE!!111!111 LOLLLZ!!1

hey, i'm controversial, i know ... but it's the way i roll, slats!!11!1 example, while everyone drooled over Alyssa Milano, i was sweatin Kimmie Gibbler!!11! Lolllzz

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, SHEEPLE!!11!

IAMTHECOOLDUDENEWPOSTERGUY!!11

I don't care about whatever points you are making. But your retarded caps 1!11z shtick is played.

Enjoy

Dude, you might want to mix in a valium, NPG. You're sounding eerily similar to Axe Elf. :thumbsdown:

If I had the #1 pick in the draft I would take Peterson and I wouldn't think twice about it. I'd also handcuff Jerrick McKinnon to him, who might just get Sproles-like points even if Peterson remains healthy.

However, I play in auctions and my yearly strategy is to pretty much avoid everyone at the top end, everyone who would be considered first round guys.

For example, I can probably get CJ Spiller, Toby Gerhart and Cordarrelle Patterson for what it would cost me to draft Adrian Peterson.

Did i miss something about cordarrelle? I think he is going to be a massive disappointment. A rookie qb at best with no other receivers to take a little focus off of him. Unless you think bridgewater is going to vastly out perform his expectations i dont understand why everyone wants him so badly.

I think itd be tough for me to take AP above McCoy, Charles, and Forte in ppr leagues....but there's no way he'd slip past four.

In standard...I probably take him after LeSean.

Either way, outside of those four backs...its a clusterfock

Did i miss something about cordarrelle? I think he is going to be a massive disappointment. A rookie qb at best with no other receivers to take a little focus off of him. Unless you think bridgewater is going to vastly out perform his expectations i dont understand why everyone wants him so badly.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that he's not completely QB-dependent. He scored 9 TDs last year playing only 40% of the snaps. Only 4 of those TDs were receptions. And every one of those receptions was under 10 yards. In other words a monkey could've thrown it. His numbers are not dependent on a QB getting him the ball downfield. And what happens to those numbers if he does start getting the ball downfield?

Right now it's a toss up as to whether Bridgewater or Cassel will start, but whomever it is, it will be a far better result than what we saw last year. Even if Cassel starts all 16 games.

But again, I know there are a lot of folks who haven't seen him play much who think he's the next AJ Green or Megatron. He's not that kind of receiver yet. He may never be. But what he is already is what everyone always hoped Percy Harvin would be. So keep that in mind in your rankings.

Cord may get over drafted but if you get him as a wr3 he will be a good value

Jesus christ, NEWPOSTERGUY is STILL doing his schtick? What is it, 3 years later? since he joined?