Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Brandon Marshall the safest receiver?

Maybe he should be ranked #1 overall? He doesnt have the ceiling as some of the other top receivers, but he is consistently awesome most weeks. He is typically the fifth receiver off the board, and i have been passing by. Are we making a mistake by reaching for the receivers with a higher ceiling but more risk?

I think he is ranked as a few peoples third receiver, i wonder if anyone should be drafted ahead of him besides johnson. I think i may target him a little more heavily at the end of the first.

Hell no...Demarious Thomas is this year. Especially with the loss of Decker. Marshall has Jefferies creeping up and Marshall is 29 yrs old..

FYI two of my 4 keepers are Demarious and Marshall..I am very happy with that. :clap:

I would be a little concerned, and by concerned considering pushing thomas to 4th receiver this year, about the tough schedule and peyton mannings noodle arm. I saw the noodle throwing ducks all year, but defenses were so bad that it didnt matter. In the SB the problem was glaring.

If i were denver i would strongly consider running a lot of my offense through Ball. Use the fear of peyton and demaryius to allow ball to carry the offense a little. I just dont think manning can have that many attempts against good pass defenses and expect to be as successful. Of course manning runs that offense so is he really going to limit his attempts? Probably not. It will be interesting for sure.

Historic years are usually followed by disappointment.

It is hard to say the safest when it comes to football. But besides injury risk, you have to think he is the most consistent WR for the past few years.

I'm glad I am not the only person who thinks Peyton's arm strength has gotten down right scary. He's been able to out think and out prepare people until the point of the super bowl. I really think it's possible that we see a significant step back from last year. More teams will play press and try to force deeper throws focusing on pressuring up the middle of the pocket to really force his arm to work to make throws.

Then again I am the over analyzer.

I'm glad I am not the only person who thinks Peyton's arm strength has gotten down right scary. He's been able to out think and out prepare people until the point of the super bowl. I really think it's possible that we see a significant step back from last year. More teams will play press and try to force deeper throws focusing on pressuring up the middle of the pocket to really force his arm to work to make throws.

Then again I am the over analyzer.

You know what they say, you cant say analyzer without anal. :banana:

• Like 1

wtf #nolove calvin?

I like Marshall a LOT this year - especially for dynasty teams that are close and need a target hog WR1 to complete the lineup. He's still not Calvin. Or DT. Or AJG (but I'm down on him this year). Definitely not Dez! So ok Marshall is like the #3 possibly 4th ranked WR. Also, probably tacos.

• Like 1

Lol tacos!

I did mention that calvin should probably be ranked ahead of him. His floor is high and his ceiling is astronomical. He isnt as consistent as marshall though.

Maybe he should be ranked #1 overall? He doesnt have the ceiling as some of the other top receivers, but he is consistently awesome most weeks. He is typically the fifth receiver off the board, and i have been passing by. Are we making a mistake by reaching for the receivers with a higher ceiling but more risk?

I think he is ranked as a few peoples third receiver, i wonder if anyone should be drafted ahead of him besides johnson. I think i may target him a little more heavily at the end of the first.

Some sites do have Marshall ranked #1. You don't need to target him at the end of the first. I got him at 2.10 in my last redraft. He's being taken behind Julio and just ahead of Antonio Brown. Marshall put up great numbers last season and missed several quarters throughout the year due to his hip. He is healthy, has his contract and will beat last seasons numbers.

Not sure why someone would point out he's 29. Dumb. That is the prime of a career for a WR. Look up the guys who had career years at WR after 34. There are a LOT of them. 29/30/31 is still young at this position. I'm targeting him in the 2nd round of EVERY draft I do if he's on the board when I pick. He is the only WR I'll take in place of a running back in the first several rounds. I won't touch one in round one as you lose out on a RB1, but in Round two, he's a steal. I fully expect him to end up as a top 3 WR this season. His ceiling is #1 overall, but his floor, in my mind, is no lower than the #6 overall, which means you can't miss on him in the 2nd round.

I'm not saying you shouldn't draft another WR over him, just that he's a very safe pick as a WR1. Look at the situation of the other guys. AJ Green has a new coordinator. Calvin has a new Coordinator and has well known knee issues, not to mention a plethora of new talent around him. I think the Broncos will run more this season, so I see D. Thomas staying about the same. Julio is coming off another injury and a risky pick at the end of round one or beginning of round two. Antonio Brown is an outlier and the odds are against him putting up those totals two seasons in a row. Jefferies is a stud who will get his, but Marshall is the top WR for the Bears and if you look closely at the numbers, a lot of Jefferies yardage came when Marshall was on the sidelines. A case can be made for anyone, but Marshall is about as safe as a pick you can make in Round Two.

You can't go wrong making Marshall your WR1. I don't like Denver's schedule and Manning will come back to earth this season. Calvin is still overall the #1. Dez is a bit of a gamble, but if Romo stays healthy I see him having a monster year.

Hell no...Demarious Thomas is this year. Especially with the loss of Decker. Marshall has Jefferies creeping up and Marshall is 29 yrs old..

I would agree DT and prob Calvin are the safest. But saying Marshall is 29 is not a knock against him. Iv seen some people using age lately as an argument against wrs lately who are 29-30 and its just not correct. 30 is not the dropoff point for a wr like it is for a rb, in fact 30 can still be called a wrs prime id say. Even 31-32 is not some red flag age. 33-34 is when I start to factor age, but 29? The dudes still capable of his best seasons.

In defense of me stating Marshall is 29, it was in comparison to Demarious being only 25 yrs old. If I felt the 29 yr old Marshall was an issue I wouldnt be keeping him as one of my 4 players. But to me Demarious is the better of the two this year.

I've seen Peyton go off the board in the first round in numerous redrafts. That's too high for my taste. lol As some have pointed out, I see a year in which they focus more on the run and they are also playing a more difficult schedule this season. San Diego and Oakland have both improved as well. I think D. Thomas and Welker will still get their receptions, but I'm also seeing Denvers 3rd and 4th WR's going off the board a couple rounds before they should. Last year does not equal this year.

You guys are making some really valid points about B. Marshall being one of the safest 2nd round picks. I would be really happy if I got to draft Marshall in at least one league. It seems all nfl skill players have risks and for Marshall the one I keep thinking of is Jay Cutler his health and performance. I do like the Bears offense in year 2 with Marc Trestman. And I do think Cutler steps up and the Bears have a top 5 offense this year.

Megatron is in a class unto himself.

Marshall is a top 5 WR, but he is not Megatron.

I would be a little concerned, and by concerned considering pushing thomas to 4th receiver this year, about the tough schedule and peyton mannings noodle arm. I saw the noodle throwing ducks all year, but defenses were so bad that it didnt matter. In the SB the problem was glaring.

If i were denver i would strongly consider running a lot of my offense through Ball. Use the fear of peyton and demaryius to allow ball to carry the offense a little. I just dont think manning can have that many attempts against good pass defenses and expect to be as successful. Of course manning runs that offense so is he really going to limit his attempts? Probably not. It will be interesting for sure.

Historic years are usually followed by disappointment.

Manning has always thrown ducks his entire career he throws one of the ugliest passes out there. But it's usually on time and accurate so it doesn't matter. The superbowl was due to him not having time and the Oline breaking down.

Calvin .. DT ... then you got 3 basically equal in Julio, Green, and Marshall. The "safest" should be DT but Megatron will have bigger single weeks DT will be more consistent. In PPR it's tough to go against Marshall for 3rd.

I don't think Marshall is the safest. Cutler does have a man crush on him, but that was before AJ2 exploded. Who's to say who the #1 in that offense will even be?

I see Calvin and DT as 1a and 1b (and I'm 100% sure in which order). After them, everyone has questions. Dez has all the talent in the world and a new OC who says he's going to feed him the ball. That didn't happen last year and still look at his numbers. If they actually do feed him, look out. AJ was/is great, but JG is gone to the Redskins (yeah! I wrote it!) and I think Cincy wants to run more. Plus they still have the redheaded pee shooter at QB and other emerging options at RB, WR, and TE. Julio was flat tearing it up before he went down for the year.

Any one of these 6 could end up #1. Maybe even someone else. Maybe Jeffrey. Maybe Antonio Brown. They should fed him the ball last year (except in the red zone). This year he might get those looks. Then what? But talk about safe, look at AB! That guy produced nearly ever week. No fewer than 5 catches in any week and double digit catches only once. Consistency.

They all have questions, but if I have a choice, I'm CJ or DT all the way!

Mannings passes were fairly accurate but i remember seeing the receivers making catches with no one around them. The defenses denver faced last year were historically bad. Probably one of the easiest scheds of all time. I think thomas is safe, but we all know cutler is going to the well with bmarsh, because cutler knows he is going to hear if if he doesnt.

Anyone have a clue what is wrong with Marshall considering he should be way past his injury?

His yelling in the locker room tells there is something wrong with the gameplan or Cutler's execution of it especially considering that the Bears are losing.

I dont get it. He is fine, the offense is healthy. Its more jay cutler if anything. I worked last sunday so i cant say exactly what i think happened, but the local media is pretty much putting it on jay. Marshall is just doing what marshall does, be a head case. It shouldnt hinder his play so i dont get why he isnt consistent.

Just the nature of wrs really. Jeffrey hasnt lit the place on fire either so its not exclusive. I wouldnt worry about Marshall yet, they have time to right the ship. If you didnt get DThomas, Nelson or ABrown your not thrilled about your early wr pick anyway.

I don't think Marshall is the safest. Cutler does have a man crush on him, but that was before AJ2 exploded. Who's to say who the #1 in that offense will even be?

I see Calvin and DT as 1a and 1b (and I'm 100% sure in which order). After them, everyone has questions. Dez has all the talent in the world and a new OC who says he's going to feed him the ball. That didn't happen last year and still look at his numbers. If they actually do feed him, look out. AJ was/is great, but JG is gone to the Redskins (yeah! I wrote it!) and I think Cincy wants to run more. Plus they still have the redheaded pee shooter at QB and other emerging options at RB, WR, and TE. Julio was flat tearing it up before he went down for the year.

Any one of these 6 could end up #1. Maybe even someone else. Maybe Jeffrey. Maybe Antonio Brown. They should fed him the ball last year (except in the red zone). This year he might get those looks. Then what? But talk about safe, look at AB! That guy produced nearly ever week. No fewer than 5 catches in any week and double digit catches only once. Consistency.

They all have questions, but if I have a choice, I'm CJ or DT all the way!

Hmmm, looks like someone was right about DT and maybe AB being the most consistent. I had DT as the #1 going in and he's done little to disappoint. Calvin's been hurt so... But the guy I said was the most consistent, has been that! AB.

Just as consistent? J Nelson. IF only the Pack wouldn't blow up big and rest him. IF!

Ill take Antonio Brown over Marshall all day....Marshall best days are behind him!!! He will finish outside the top 10 this year!! Bank on it

Well i did say he didnt have the ceiling that others did, but i really didnt think he would be worse in the second year of the tresticle offense.

Forte is on pace for what close to 100 catches in ppr? Maybe even more.... He sits at 52 now. INSANE!!!

on pace for an NFL first of 1,000 yds rushing/1,000 yds rec/100 receptions.

UBER-STUDLINESS

Ill take Antonio Brown over Marshall all day....Marshall best days are behind him!!! He will finish outside the top 10 this year!! Bank on it

Not exactly going out on a limb here being 7 weeks in and him not doing so hot.

Not exactly going out on a limb here being 7 weeks in and him not doing so hot.

I took Brown over Marshall in my ppr league LOL.