Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Preseason Games: Week 1 Observations

Let's see what he does with Joe Thomas and the starters next week against the Skins.

johhny football looked like a deer in headlights

This.

The QB option isn't going to work for him in the NFL. He's more Tim Tebow than Cam Newton.

Add in the poor focus, work ethic and huge ego, and the writing is on the wall. This has bust written all over it.

Thanks for the clueless insight fellas.

He played solid tonight, going to be tough for the haters, dude is a player.

Thanks for the clueless insight fellas.

He played solid tonight, going to be tough for the haters, dude is a player.

good luck with that. i wasn't making a projection on his overall outlook but if you watched the game tonight, he did not look sharp. looked skittish.

good luck with that. i wasn't making a projection on his overall outlook but if you watched the game tonight, he did not look sharp. looked skittish.

Actually I did watch, and I agree with the consensus, he played solid and didn't look the least bit skittish. Good zip on his passes, accurate, and showed the burst with his feet when he needed to.

Actually I did watch, and I agree with the consensus, he played solid and didn't look the least bit skittish. Good zip on his passes, accurate, and showed the burst with his feet when he needed to.

he had a few nice passes, a few terrible passes. dove head first twice on short gains which Im pretty sure you don't want your QB doing and he ran entirely too much... also seemed to jump around and have 'happy feet' on a few drop backs.

Manziel is also a rookie playing his first nfl game. The talent level is way higher than it was in college. So it could take some getting used to. I see him becoming better and more relaxed in the game the more he plays. However, that being said I'm still not touching him in fantasy due to him being more of a potential bust than a fantasy boom. Maybe next year he might start being rosterable bit with Gordon out indefinitely and Hoyer still having the coaches favor manziel won't do much this season

johhny football looked like a deer in headlights

Yes. He is a rookie QB taking his first snaps in a real NFL football game.

Shockingly, he didn't rush for over 100 and throw 3TDs.

He didn't turn it over, or take any hits... He will be okay.

johnny looked great in his 1st ever NFL game....

great? what game were you watching?

ive already said a few times in this thread, im not making any predictions about his future NFL success but he did not look good, let alone great. Of course hw should continue to grow / mature and this was simple 1 preseason game. But the title of the thread is week 1 observations and my observation on Manziel is that he was quick to run, dove headfirst twice, looked a little skittish in the pocket and has as many poor throws as 'good' ones.

Sigh there goes any hope for getting cooks as a wr3. He will be a trendy 4th round pick by preseason end.

Fine with me!

Sounds good to me. My buddy bet me $50 dollars he throws more picks than tds.

That's $50 easy dollars.

I saw a couple of games, here's what stuck out:

Cutler absolutely carved on that first drive. I love him this year.

Rashad Jennings does nothing for me. Looks like just a guy.

Bills D-line looked good, Manuel still stares at his primary target for too long. Had at least 3 passes that hit defenders in the hands and should have been intercepted.

As a non-fantasy side note, the Bills went right after Prince Amakamura on D. Seemed like every first-time throw was in front of Prince. Coincidence or strategy? He's had injury problems but if healthy I thought Amakamura would be the CB you'd try to throw away from given the lack of other Giants secondary talent.

Ertz looked good.

Jordan Matthews dropped more than he caught.

Benjamin made a crazy catch but Carolina's whole offense, including Newton, scares me.

Ravens RB's all looked solid likely to be a RBBC.

I won't touch Henne/Bortles unless Bortles is a super late round keeper. Same for Cassel/Bridgewater.

Yes. He is a rookie QB taking his first snaps in a real NFL football game.

Shockingly, he didn't rush for over 100 and throw 3TDs.

He didn't turn it over, or take any hits... He will be okay.

I agree with the overall assessment except for not taking any hits. He got drilled a couple of times when he went in head first instead of sliding. Injury factor scares me.

Still if there's not much difference between Hoyer and Manziel that team is going to be 1-4 and put Manziel in there for ticket sales/buzz. Or just name Manziel the starter from day 1. Unless you are starting Hoyer early Manziel is the guy to own because Hoyer won't be a starter by the time you get to byes.

Let's be honest. When Josh Gordon gets suspended for the year, nobody in their right mind is taking any Browns Qb.

I agree with the overall assessment except for not taking any hits. He got drilled a couple of times when he went in head first instead of sliding. Injury factor scares me.

Still if there's not much difference between Hoyer and Manziel that team is going to be 1-4 and put Manziel in there for ticket sales/buzz. Or just name Manziel the starter from day 1. Unless you are starting Hoyer early Manziel is the guy to own because Hoyer won't be a starter by the time you get to byes.

The ticket sales thing is actually probably a piece of this puzzle.

If you are actually trying to develop Manziel is that the right move though?

Just looking back RG3 took a beating his rookie year and he was more pro ready with better weapons.

Hoyer will take them 5-0!!

Just kidding, 2-3. Schedule is kind of tough.

This got me. Well played.

I see them 1-4. They beat the Titans. Lose to Steelers, Saints, Ravens, and Steelers again. Early bye hurts them immensely. 2-3 isn't crazy, though. Just requires one upset early in the season and the only lock losses for me are the Steelers in the opener and the Saints. They could beat the Ravens and the Steelers a second time on any given Sunday.

They don't start Manziel in week 6 due to the Steelers being in town, but he's the guy starting week 7 (Jags), 8 (Raiders), 9 (Bucs) and then they're stuck with him. Cupcake schedule for positive looking reps is where they start Manziel to sell tickets and get some buzz.

johnny looked great in his 1st ever NFL game....

great? what game were you watching?

ive already said a few times in this thread, im not making any predictions about his future NFL success but he did not look good, let alone great. Of course hw should continue to grow / mature and this was simple 1 preseason game. But the title of the thread is week 1 observations and my observation on Manziel is that he was quick to run, dove headfirst twice, looked a little skittish in the pocket and has as many poor throws as 'good' ones.

Like I said, I will reserve judgement until at least gm 3 of the preseason. I'll let Johnny Shake the jitters off his first ever nfl snaps. But he def did not look great. He was afraid to throw anything down the field and was far too eager to run, even costing him the easy throw to the fullback. On that one great run he had, the announcer said it was a designed draw, but it clearly wasn't. He just saw the hole and took off. But again he gets a full and total pass from me til gm 3. He's got to become a pass first qb otherwise the run will be a liability and defenders will be licking their chops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkUU5DgGJCI

play 1 - ok solid first nfl throw

play 2 - WTF are you doing lowering your head?

play 3 - too quick to run, looked like "ahh which way do i go!?" again he lowered his head and watching the game they made reference that he got up a tad shaky.

play 4 - another run, good run but still another run

play 5 - jumpy in the pocket, rather than stepping up. good job hitting lewis though

play 6 - good strike

play 7 - bad throw

play 8 - rolling out again, incomplete

play 9 - best run, good slide

couple more dinks and dunks and the "amazing 1 yard pickup :rolleyes:

bad throw behind the WR

another throw over the Wr head

^ I actually like the play by play analysis and would welcome more. You should have also noted on the 1yd run that altho he picked up the 1st, he had an easy completion to his fullback as an alternative right in his face that he was too scared to attempt. That shows me he was running no matter what.

^ I actually like the play by play analysis and would welcome more. You should have also noted on the 1yd run that altho he picked up the 1st, he had an easy completion to his fullback as an alternative right in his face that he was too scared to attempt. That shows me he was running no matter what.

On play 2, he had the HB coming off the option wide open. It doesn't look like a passing play, but if he has the presence of mind to flip it ahead, he's got a huge gain or a TD (although the refs may have called ineligible man down field).

On play 3, the LT whiffed against the RE. I don't know if he saw that, but if he stays in the pocket another couple seconds, he gets hit.

play 1 - ok solid first nfl throw

play 2 - WTF are you doing lowering your head?

play 3 - too quick to run, looked like "ahh which way do i go!?" again he lowered his head and watching the game they made reference that he got up a tad shaky.

play 4 - another run, good run but still another run

play 5 - jumpy in the pocket, rather than stepping up. good job hitting lewis though

play 6 - good strike

play 7 - bad throw

play 8 - rolling out again, incomplete

play 9 - best run, good slide

couple more dinks and dunks and the "amazing 1 yard pickup :rolleyes:

bad throw behind the WR

another throw over the Wr head

Yup, and this all equals a solid debut from a rookie in his first live NFL action. Which seems to be the consensus from anybody and everybody who covers the NFL.

Ok White Wonder, I went back and watched him... your right he was far from great. I tell ya that refusal to toss a 1st down pass when dude was wide open on the side line would concern me. He will start pissing off his receivers and end up getting hurt. I think I am going to be glad my Cowboys didn't grab him at 16.