Sign in to follow this  
72dolfan

Sleeper Defense this Season?

After watching a couple of preseason games last year, I noticed Carolina was much improved, so I drafted them in the late rounds, and obviously had a lot of success with them.

Who do you see as that sleeper defense this season? I haven't seen enough to make the call yet, but maybe some of you have some info I haven't been privy to?

It never fails in our league each year, someone takes the projected #1 defense early (7th round) and then there's a run of at least four more defenses in that round. I refuse to pick up a defense that early (there's too much talent still on the board at other positions for depth). So I'm always looking for that team that changed their DC, or went batch sheet crazy in free agency and the draft to improve their defense.

Cleveland Browns and New Orleans Saints. Both have defensive coordinators with aggressive, attacking schemes. And both have quality returners. Both also drafted/acquired free agent defensive players to address their immediate needs.

• Like 1

Cleveland Browns and New Orleans Saints. Both have defensive coordinators with aggressive, attacking schemes. And both have quality returners. Both also drafted/acquired free agent defensive players to address their immediate needs.

You can probably easily get away with not drafting the browns and then picking them up on waivers like week 3-4, because they open against the steelers and then will probably get absolutely torched by the saints week 2-- and also, who is going to actually draft the browns defense even though they are much improved :dunno: after all, it is the browns

I'm not sold on Tampa so much as some others. The Tampa Two is predicated on the front four getting to the QB. 3/4 of that defensive line has had injury issues. Verner played well for TN last season, but I am not sold he's as good as some think. His Int's came when the ball was thrown to him, not when he jumped routes. I think the "potential" is there for them to do good, but they play against some high scoring teams. No way do they shut down New Orleans or Atlanta, although starting them against Carolina's weak line twice per season isn't a bad idea.

I think New Orleans can be a nice defense, and they aren't being drafted in the top 15 at the position currently. I like their upgrades and towards the end of the season, they found a couple of guys who should have great 2014's, especially coming off the edge. Another couple I like are Miami and Green Bay. Green Bay was awful last season, but ranked 5th the prior year. The year before that, they were dead last in defense, but ranked in the top 7 the year before. History would indicate they are due for a good season. Adding Peppers and Clinton-Dix will help shore up some of the issues, but they need Clay to stay healthy. If he does, I think they are a great sleeper team to finish in the top ten and they are going late, if they are even drafted.

I change my Defense so much that I really just look at match ups from week to week . Week one match up I like is the Eagles Def vs the Jags . So right now that's my target for Defense . Then week two I will wait to play week one first

The bears d line looked really good. If the line can play great all yeah it is going to hide their suspect secondary and linebackers. Im not taking them because the rams and pats will be on my teams.

Maybe steelers?

- a true 'sleeper' unit for 2014 is ....

the Jaguars.

will go undrafted in virtually ALL formats ... and the week one matchup vs. Philly may be very tough sledding ... but Bradley is quietly building some quality depth on that d-line, and they will get after the qb ... the team, as a whole, is certainly looking to be on the improve, playing very decent down the stretch last season.

I can see the defense being a very opportunistic bunch ... sacks/pressures leading to turnovers ... if that offense can find any consistency, and keep the defense a bit fresher ... look out.

I can see the Jags being a hot pickup as the season progresses, and a unit that will provide hugee dividends in certain spots.

Jags will be worth a play 2x against Tennessee and 2x against Houston. I really think that defense will improve and if they can get any help from the offense they could be a startable defense on the majority of the weeks.

They might be such a sleeper that they never wake up, but they could be sneaky off the WW this year.

Because of their division and the propensity for turnovers by the quarterbacks in that division, including Luck, the Jaguars COULD be a nice stash ala KC last season. The biggest fear I have for them is the offense. If their offense can't sustain drives and eat some clock, I see a gassed D by the end of the 3rd quarter

Pats, Houston, New Orleans.

Houston plays Washington, Oakland, Giants and Bills first 4. Only one that might be a torching in Washington.

After week 4 they play Cowboys, Colts, Steelers, then Titans who don't scare me, then Eagles before the bye. So I'll grab them late round with the intention of at most playing them until week 4.

New Orleans have Atlanta, Cleveland, Minnesota, Dallas, Tampa Bay in first 5.

After bye it's Detoit, Green Bay, Carolina, San Fran, Cinciy, Baltimore Pittsburgh so I would be dropping them after week 5 at the latest.

Pats are Dolphins Vikings Raiders right out of the gate, then Chiefs Bengals Bills Jets Bears Broncos. That's a nice 3-week start and then find someone else week 4.