Sign in to follow this  
Gandalfthecat

Doug Martin...why the love?

Possibly the worst OL in the game. Coming off a season where he looked bad, even when healthy.

Bobby Rainey somehow succeeded where he failed. I tell you this, I'd even take Arian Foster over Doug Martin.

There's no way in HELL I'm drafting him. Even in the 3rd bloody round.

Martin's first year was magical; 1926 total yards with 12 tds. Many speculate that he was hurt coming out of camp last year, which would explain him not looking good while Rainey shined. Don't forget Rainey was cut from the Browns before TB picked him up - back when the Browns had nothing at RB. That TBs offensive line looked so well, offensive in their first preseason game is more a reflection on TB moving to a wholly different philosophy with Tedford than what was done with Schiano. Tedford wants smaller faster mobile o lineman running multiple formations to give the offense a chance to put playmakers in space. I think they start slow - the Bucs could be 1-5 or 2-4 when they hit their bye week this year. Once settled I expect to see Martin become a force because they won't be able to stack the box with VJax and Evans on the outside. With a current ADP of 3.04 he's going behind Foster, and is a good upside RB2 pick imo - as the RBs going behind him have just as much or more risk with lesser performance history.

After the first 8-10 or so RBs are off the board they all have warts to some extent. Once the first two tiers of RBs are off the board in mid-round 2 you may as well draft WRs. I see very little difference between Alf, Stacy and Martin vs. RBs available 2-3 rounds later.

Hes a guy that will get the most carries on his team. That alone makes him worth a pick as an rb 2/3. He was a top 5 pick last year so he did something right. I see him the same as ray rice, big bounceback potential for former top 5 picks under 30yrs old.

If you can get him as a late RB2 or RB3, great. Good luck though. In my drafts, I've seen him go from the 1.12 to the middle of the 2nd. His actual draft ADP is rising.

My thoughts on him are this; Lovey drafted "his guy" in Forte and didn't hesitate to use him. He has no stock in Martin and Sims has already been named the 3rd down back. I don't think it will take much for Lovey to divide the carries up equally. Two years ago, Martin had what, 3 mega games, that boosted him in the rankings. All were against horrible defenses. He is average at everything, but great at nothing and bad at nothing. If he were going to hit 275 carries, I'd look more into drafting him. I'm not going to do it though, especially not in the 2nd round. I don't see a massive bounce back year for him. If he struggles out of the gate, he may be out of the picture entirely. The line is flat out bad, and even if they trade for the Guard from the 49'ers, he isn't going to improve the line much by himself. Teams aren't going to be worried about his QB, a rookie WR, or a rookie TE. He will face stacked boxes behind a horrible line. To me, if you draft him in the 2nd, you are getting more of a 5th round value. In that case, don't draft him and take a different RB. There are guys who will split time this season who I have ranked ahead of Martin. Maybe I'm wrong and he blows up. Either way, I'm not drafting him, especially while his ADP continues to increase for absolutely no reason.

Possibly the worst OL in the game. Coming off a season where he looked bad, even when healthy.

Bobby Rainey somehow succeeded where he failed. I tell you this, I'd even take Arian Foster over Doug Martin.

There's no way in HELL I'm drafting him. Even in the 3rd bloody round.

. That's ok with me .

Exactly with the all RBs in his area have warts. Doug Martin had some impressive games in his first year. If you go back and look at the highlights he shows major play making ability. I think that he led the league in rushes of 20 yards or more his rookie year. He also was excellent in space in the screen game.

I understand that he looked less than sensational in his time last year but go back and look at the defenses he faced. Add in the turmoil at QB and the issues with the coaching staff and he did as well as can be expected.

That being said with questions on the offensive line and no clear feel on how Smith/Tedford plan on running the offense I will not be drafting him. In the area that his is going I would rather have an established WR or a higher upside RB like A.E.

How are folks viewing Martin recently?

Positives:

• Tedford offense
  • Sims and James seem out of the way, Tedford perhaps would prefer a RBBC but given the situation it looks like all Martin all the time, a rarity these days - Martin's use could be very high, like L. Bell's last year with PIT
  • He should be getting receptions
  • The addition of ASJ might mean more room in space for Martin.
  • Added Mankin and maybe Incognito soon to a terrible o-line
  • Looked good in the PS

Negatives:

• Even in his excellent rookie year he never seemed to show great moves or break long runs
  • The schedule is largely favorable but week 16 is Carolina

Overall he seems like a great trade target right now before the season gets started.

What would be an appropriate trade value in terms of WR's, do you think?

Positives:

• Tedford offense
  • Sims and James seem out of the way, Tedford perhaps would prefer a RBBC but given the situation it looks like all Martin all the time, a rarity these days - Martin's use could be very high, like L. Bell's last year with PIT
  • Looked good in the PS
Negatives:

• Even in his excellent rookie year he never seemed to show great moves or break long runs
Overall he seems like a great trade target right now before the season gets started.

T

I thought his rookie year he had a bunch of really long td runs.

To the op, in a league with few bell cows he is one and has proven he can do it at an elite level. Now they have a good qb and above average looking pass catchers that are huge guys, so I think they will move the ball.

The offensive line is still a major area of concerN overall..

But I'll tell you why he has appeal....his qb showed he could move a team up and down the field with two big receivers....and that's what he has again....and when that happens it creates opportunities for backs....

The offensive line is still a major area of concerN overall..

But I'll tell you why he has appeal....his qb showed he could move a team up and down the field with two big receivers....and that's what he has again....and when that happens it creates opportunities for backs....

This is pretty much the reason I like him. If a qb can move the ball and get some first downs while also having the defense fear the outsider wrs it gives guys a chance to be productive. You have to be as bad as TRich to screw that situation up.

This is pretty much the reason I like him. If a qb can move the ball and get some first downs while also having the defense fear the outsider wrs it gives guys a chance to be productive. You have to be as bad as TRich to screw that situation up.

Yes....that

Having guys like VJax and evans can create opportunities....drawing flags in the redzone....

Martin was a lot of fun to watch in his rookie season. He has shake and bake as well as speed, not sure why it's stated he is simply average. He's also built like a brick house for a guy his size. If that o line settles in a bit he's a prime bounce back candidate IMO. The Evans factor, as pointed out, can only help, as he's shown well (much better than I expected) in preseason.

27% of career fantasy points came in 2 of his 22 games played.

27% of career fantasy points came in 2 of his 22 games played.

What percentage of nick Foles points came from that 7td game he had last year?

I don't disagree, but I had Martin starting in that raider game. Anyone who did is hopelessly in live with him, man what a game.

I'm not keeping him this year. I prefer Gio over him. Hope I did good.

I'm not keeping him this year. I prefer Gio over him. Hope I did good.

Martin probably gets more touches this year. I like Martin more personally but arguments can be made for either player.

Martin probably gets more touches this year. I like Martin more personally but arguments can be made for either player.

I think I'm somewhat biased because Martin hurt me big time last year and I still haven't forgiven him.

Positives:

• Tedford offense
  • Looked good in the PS

Negatives:

I thought his rookie year he had a bunch of really long td runs.

To the op, in a league with few bell cows he is one and has proven he can do it at an elite level. Now they have a good qb and above average looking pass catchers that are huge guys, so I think they will move the ball.

His rookie year he had 3 huge runs vs the Raiders, everyone remembers those. He had 7 runs of 21-41 yards vs 4 teams that year as well. Last year he had 2 runs between 21-28 yards in 6 games, but otherwise he seemed really plodding to me. That might have had to do with the TB line problems and what was going on with the team in general under Schiano. I do think this year under Tedford he could have a lot more room to run. I'd like to trade for him if I could.