Sign in to follow this  
TennisMenace

I hate PPR

RBs run and catch and have historically outscored WRs in fantasy football. PPR was invented to level the playing field and bring WRs up to the scoring potential of RBs. With most NFL teams going RBBC lately, WRs are gaining more prominence making PPR somewhat outdated.

I was going to post this. I cut my FF teeth in a non-PPR deep keeper league since the mid-90s. Any RB with any chance of getting playing time was kept or drafted early. All other positions were afterthoughts. They guy who happened to pick up Priest Holmes dominated for years. Funny thing is, that league finally went 0.5 pt PPR this year, and I'm not sure it is needed as much anymore.

You haven't been here very long, have you?

In fairness, you should know better and have said "Can size?" Can Size is an accepted FFT meme which provides plausible deniability that you were just joking around, because who would ask a guy how big his daughter's fun bags are? Of course we are all hoping he answers, but that is the beauty of the meme. :thumbsup:

I don't like PPR. Points should not be rewarded for a skill - such as catching, footwork, vision, etc. Points should be rewarded for actually gaining yards. If the player has a skill such as catching that gives them more opportunities to achieve the actual goal - gaining yards and scoring.

I think the original idea was to balance out all of the RBs with WRs back when RBs were dominant. That is no longer the case.

Guess not if it is what it is and it's alright ?

Seemed a bit off the mark

Hey, thanks for being concerned that some words on this thread were a wee bit inappropriate. That was honorable and considerate. Much appreciated.

Guys will be guys, and I have no animosity towards them for sharing their thoughts in a playful way. I'm sure they meant no disrespect to my daughter, just having fun.

Cheers,

TM

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for being concerned that some words on this thread were a wee bit inappropriate. That was honorable and considerate. Much appreciated.

Guys will be guys, and I have no animosity towards them for sharing their thoughts in a playful way. I'm sure they meant no disrespect to my daughter, just having fun.

Cheers,

TM

PICS or GTFO :banana: :banana:

PICS or GTFO :banana: :banana:

Do you really think I'm going to share photos of my daughter to you wolves? Ain't going to happen. Lol. However, I will say this- she is very attractive and very very easy on the eyes. You can thank her mother for that.

Do you really think I'm going to share photos of my daughter to you wolves? Ain't going to happen. Lol. However, I will say this- she is very attractive and very very easy on the eyes. You can thank her mother for that.

Pics of mother or GTFO :banana: :banana:

No face is OKAY, just the good stuff :ninja:

Fantasy football folks yep :)

PPR adds another factor to account for. It's FF managers job to take account for this factor. It's like playing in a td heavy league,IDP league, 2 Qb league, etc.

No one has yet to,explain the reason why you don't give point per carry, nor has anyone explained what value you get from this apart from the yards?

It's ppr not ppc. Ppr adds more value to some possesion wrs and 3rd down backs that other wise would be not as good in standard.

It as a new dimension to the game and a different strategy. Point totals are higher and gives the chance for a more even playing field.

Wait a minute....is your daughter your wife?

It's ppr not ppc. Ppr adds more value to some possesion wrs and 3rd down backs that other wise would be not as good in standard.

It as a new dimension to the game and a different strategy. Point totals are higher and gives the chance for a more even playing field.

It also makes already great players like impossible to beat. So you drag some scrubs to an 8 pt total and normal great players to 30 pt totals.

The scrubs are still scrubs yet it devalues real producing rbs like Morris. Makes no sense

• Like 1

I would have less problem if the only time you got a point for the reception is when the reception garnered at least 10 yards. That would eliminate all these drop offs that produce negative yards to 9 yards, which is a lot.

Agreed. PPR makes no logical sense. The RB's that receives gets those yards counted as points in addition to running yards. Therefore rewarded for his catching ability. No need to double count points by adding a point for a reception.

Danny Woodhead 7 reception for 50 yds and 15 yds rushing scores 13 pts

Alfred Morris runs for a 120 yds and scores 12 points

Yah, that makes a lot of sense.

Alfred Morris got to touch the ball 28 times, Danny Woodhead got to touch the ball 9 times.. PPR makes plenty of sense.

Alfred Morris got to touch the ball 28 times, Danny Woodhead got to touch the ball 9 times.. PPR makes plenty of sense.

But you don't mind giving points for poor yards per catch? 6 catches for 30 yards is reward able by 9 PTs. 1 catch -1 yds is 1 pt? Brilliant

• Like 1

But you don't mind giving points for poor yards per catch? 6 catches for 30 yards is reward able by 9 PTs. 1 catch -1 yds is 1 pt? Brilliant

It makes no sense to me either murf. How can you reward a guy for catching a ball for no gain? SMH

I like getting something for a reception. I'm in leagues with varying scoring but I think .5 per reception is the perfect compromise. Doesn't over weigh a reception but gives you a few points for the catches. 7 for 70 = 10.5; 2 for 100=11 points.

You guys are nit picking about one or two points. A 10 catch 120 yard day is definitely worth the 22 points. Dez Bryant only gets 9.5 targets per game, why should he have less opportunity to put up points because guys like Alfred Morris and Chris Ivory get to touch the ball 3 times as muchas Dez. Dez Bryant is a better football player than both of those guys, and standard leagues punish that.

You guys are nit picking about one or two points. A 10 catch 120 yard day is definitely worth the 22 points. Dez Bryant only gets 9.5 targets per game, why should he have less opportunity to put up points because guys like Alfred Morris and Chris Ivory get to touch the ball 3 times as muchas Dez. Dez Bryant is a better football player than both of those guys, and standard leagues punish that.

Wow you have warped view of fantasy football. Draft a guy because he has more opportunity don't try to manufacture points for guys that don't. That's just goofy.

You don't even understand it yourself. You want to award players like Dez for doing more with less touches but actually are punishing him by making a guy who catches a lot of balls for little yardage come close to him

Which is it you are trying to do?

1 catch -1 yards = 1 point is insane and your only response to justify is "it's only a point"

I think your league may want to start awarding points for field goal attempts. I mean if he doesn't make it so what. Same philosophy for awarding a point for losing yardage

• Like 1

Ppr is just another scoring format for this game. Same as return yards, long plays, etc.

It is getting a little played out as teams pass that much more and RBBC has become commonplace.

I'm a much bigger fan of bonus per first downs...take a look. Most names you would expect but some surprises further down the list

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingFirstDowns

Rb same difference. Reward the guys that move the chains.

Ppr is just another scoring format for this game. Same as return yards, long plays, etc.

It is getting a little played out as teams pass that much more and RBBC has become commonplace.

I'm a much bigger fan of bonus per first downs...take a look. Most names you would expect but some surprises further down the list

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingFirstDowns

Rb same difference. Reward the guys that move the chains.

Good stat. What I like about that stat is that there isn't a bum on the list on the first page. By bum, I mean a guy who only catches balls for minimal gains, the safety dump off guy.

Wow you have warped view of fantasy football. Draft a guy because he has more opportunity don't try to manufacture points for guys that don't. That's just goofy.

You don't even understand it yourself. You want to award players like Dez for doing more with less touches but actually are punishing him by making a guy who catches a lot of balls for little yardage come close to him

Which is it you are trying to do?

1 catch -1 yards = 1 point is insane and your only response to justify is "it's only a point"

I think your league may want to start awarding points for field goal attempts. I mean if he doesn't make it so what. Same philosophy for awarding a point for losing yardage

The point is, standard leagues makes guys like Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas equals to the likes of Alfred Morris, Chris Ivory, etc. when they are higher calibur players and should be treated as such.

And yes, who gives a about one point. Its not "insane", whats insane is playing a scoring where elite WRs are only as valuable as the middle tier RBs

The point is, standard leagues makes guys like Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas equals to the likes of Alfred Morris, Chris Ivory, etc. when they are higher calibur players and should be treated as such.

And yes, who gives a ###### about one point. Its not "insane", whats insane is playing a scoring where elite WRs are only as valuable as the middle tier RBs

Have yet to see a std league that Morris or middle tier rb is more valuable than any elite wr.

Wtf fantasy planet are you from?

1st year ppr and not a fan. I did the math for my team and so far it has not effected the out come of any games I played when compared to standard scoring.

Fred Jackson's stat line this week is a perfect example why PPR makes no sense.

35 Ru yds, 10 reception for 37 yds = 16 points

That stat line should not score the same as a back that rushes for 100 yds and a td.

The great thing about fantasy football is that you CAN ban it in your league. Leagues can score most any way they want. :)

For my league it came down to balance. We went to 0.5 PPR a few years ago to bring the WRs up to a level where they can compete with the RBs. RBs simply get (or atleast used to get) more volume than the WR and TEs so we had to bring everyone else up to compete.

Before the switch our league was all about who drafted the right couple RBs and the rest pretty much didnt matter. Now, you need a team with quality in each roster spot.

We've always been a 6 Point Passing TD league, which some of our members are trying to change to 4 points, again, to bring balance. Part of the problem is this New NFL where the passing game is more emphasized whereas just 5 or so years ago the RBs dominated fantasy football.

if you want to play a simulation of football, play madden. FF is not football. hell--it's completely absurd that you can draft players from different teams, but we do that because it's part of the game.

PPR makes the game more diverse, by adding more nuance to the scoring system and therefore allowing a wider array of effective personnel combinations. if you don't like it, there are a billion standard scoring leagues out there.

this thread is just silliness.

• Like 1

I have played in them and they suck. I won't play in them anymore. Watching RBs catch a ball and lose a yard yet get a point was nauseating

Try losing a game because 3 QB kneel downs got points per rush.

I don' get the point of ppr as far as evening things out between positions. A RB is a RB and should score like a running back. A WR is a WR and should score like a wide receiver. If the goal is to even out the scoring between all the positions, then what is the point of positions? Instead of starting a QB, 2RB, 2WR, FLEX, TE, K and DST, why not nine flex positions?

I also hate PPR. Well maybe that's too strong, I use to hate it now I merely dislike PPR.

I never wanted to play that way. We had wars to keep it out of the IBL for years. At first we thought it was a fad and support would be minimal so we had a vote to shut the fockers up and the new boards were all voting 12-0 in favor and even though we beat it down, the support was shocking. Even the old boards that voted for standard were barely pulling in small majorities to keep things the same. The next year the fockheads had a coup and hijacked the league. The IBL became PPR and under new management. A$$holes. Still bitter about that.

What I learned from those wars though is that PPR was more popular than I thought. Other than me being an ass, one of the other arguments I remember they were making was that it made WRs more valuable at the expense of RBs. Granted I never found that necessary though even back then. In today's NFL and FF, it's even less necessary than ever. WRs can score already without need for help while RBBC has totally watered down the RB position.

Anyways, if you guys want to start a FFT standard scoring league, I'd be cool with setting it up. Especially if we could get a really large format with multiple conferences similar to IBL which I miss so much. Cult Classic was supposed to be that but the second conference fell through and the next season nobody wants to expand it but me, so now we're a garden variety 14 team PPR.

.5ppr seems to be a good spot. It seems reasonable to reward skill players for actually running their routes (how often do players take plays off? That seems to vary, though it's hard to judge without the All-22 film). One point seems a little heavy because of the examples cited. I'd be in favor of 1st down points.

We've used .5ppr and .2ppcarry for a decade in one league, and I recently convinced my sig league to switch to .2ppc (already had .5ppr). I'm pretty happy with the effects those two settings have (especially when lost fumbles are treated differently than fumbles).

I like PPR for two reasons:

1) Scoring over 200 points in a week is fun.

2) Saying "PeePee" out loud is fun too. Seriously try it.

i'm changing our scoring next year to weighted categories based upon 10 team league:

win weekly matchup: 5pts

pts for/against differential: 1-10

coaching (points left on bench): 1-10

weekly record vs all teams: 1-10

i'm changing our scoring next year to weighted categories based upon 10 team league:

win weekly matchup: 5pts

pts for/against differential: 1-10

coaching (points left on bench): 1-10

weekly record vs all teams: 1-10

I like this approach, minus the points on the bench.

It punishes you for having good talent on the bench.

For instance, a guy that was sitting with Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Cecil Shorts, Bye week qb could've had zero points left on the bench.

Does that really mean that he/she was skilled in setting the LU? And seeing how that 10 points is nearly 29% of the weekly points possible, it surely could present a big problem late in the season if a team needed to get into the postseason and had muck on their bench just to get freebie victory points

I like this approach, minus the points on the bench.

It punishes you for having good talent on the bench.

For instance, a guy that was sitting with Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Cecil Shorts, Bye week qb could've had zero points left on the bench.

Does that really mean that he/she was skilled in setting the LU? And seeing how that 10 points is nearly 29% of the weekly points possible, it surely could present a big problem late in the season if a team needed to get into the postseason and had muck on their bench just to get freebie victory points

yeah, i got some work to do in the coaching area...i think i'd like it to have something to do with picking the correct players and somehow adjusting the score (maybe subtracting the difference from the starters to the bench players)...for instance say you have ap, charles and cj as rb options and you start ap and charles, but ends up having 8 more pts than charles, you'd take the difference and do the same with the rest of the lineup and then total it up for the coaching score...does that make sense? i also think this coaching category would really challenge players as to a different approach to the players they add to their benches each week