Sign in to follow this  
Dragan187

Revisiting this year's WR/WR redraft strategy

At the beginning of the year, those in redraft leagues who drafted in spots 8 thru 12 were discussing the stud Wide out theory. I was one of those dumb@sses who bought in to the madness. My team finished 5-8, I snuck in the playoffs and am now in the championship game due to blind azz luck.

For those of u who went WR/WR in rounds one and two.....how did u fare? and would u do it again? My answer would be a healthy Fock no! What about U?

My answer would be Fock Yes! 12 team PPR, picking 11th, I went Dez then Julio, and got Gronk in the 4th. I passed on guys like Marshall and AJ Green because Dez and Julio were the two WRs I had ranked 1 & 2 going into my draft. I punted on RB's (drafted and cut scrubs like Gerhart and Martin), but hit on Jeremy Hill and Bradshaw late, then played the wire to land guys like Ingram (was cut when he broke hand), CJ Anderson, and Latavius. Dez, Julio, and Gronk allowed me to mix and match my RBs all the way to the championship game where I'll be starting Hill and CJ.

9-4 in regular season, 2nd in points. Lost one game by a point, a 2nd when I had bye week issues, and lost twice to the guy that finished as the top scorer, but I beat him last weekend in our 3rd meeting in the semis to advance.

At the beginning of the year In 1998, those of us in redraft leagues who drafted in spots 8 thru 12 were discussing the stud Wide out theory.

Fixed.

One team's individual record doesn't mean anything with regard to this strategy.

With each passing year, it has become a more effective strategy to build a winning team*.

Duh there are exceptions, injuries, etc.

*Of course dependent upon league scoring, rules, etc.

On the flip side, going RB/RB can work too.

I drafted from #2 spot in 10 Team redraft and finished 9-4 having taken Forte at #2 then LeVeon Bell. I followed that with Julio at the turn. I worked the WW and eventually traded Forte straight up to A. Luck owner for Rodgers the day of the trade deadline.

I'm heading to the dance and hopefully my first title (I'm the FF fat chick at the wedding; always the bridesmaid/booty call).

Any strategy can work if you hit on producers. I drafted QB first in a league in which I am 13-2.

This. If there was an proven method, then everyone would do it.

How would it worked if you had started your draft with Julio/Marshall this past week? Would've gotten a fat goose egg in the semifinal game out of those 2. But if you were lucky enough to have gotten players like ODB/J. Hill off the WW your day could've been saved.

Hitting on the right players early or late in the draft & working the WW is essential to a playoff run more than any draft strategy.

At the beginning of the year, those in redraft leagues who drafted in spots 8 thru 12 were discussing the stud Wide out theory. I was one of those dumb@sses who bought in to the madness. My team finished 5-8, I snuck in the playoffs and am now in the championship game due to blind azz luck.

For those of u who went WR/WR in rounds one and two.....how did u fare? and would u do it again? My answer would be a healthy Fock no! What about U?

No luck in fantasy

Any strategy can work if you hit on producers. I drafted QB first in a league in which I am 13-2.

It's really that simple. Draft to your league settings, do your homework and hope your gut feelings pan out. :dunno:

12 team redraft, I picked 12th, ended up with a 10-3 record and #1 overall seed in the playoffs. Now I'm in the Championship playing against the #2 team in the league. I went Dez/AJ Green with my first 2 picks. My team:

Ryan, Dalton

Jennings, Elllington, J. Stewart, Doug Martin

Dez, Green, Emmanual Sanders, Gordon

Olsen

A few different kickers

Broncos, Ravens

Would I do it again? Depends. Hindsight is also 20/20 though. I could have had Murray and Bell instead of Dez and Green. Regardless, I'm in the Championship. See what happens!

Will have ups and downs.

I went with a mix...took Lacy early, then AJ Green.

But the reason Im the top team is getting ODB as a FA, and drafting L. Bell when people had concerns about him.

On the flip side, going RB/RB can work too.

I drafted from #2 spot in 10 Team redraft and finished 9-4 having taken Forte at #2 then LeVeon Bell. I followed that with Julio at the turn. I worked the WW and eventually traded Forte straight up to A. Luck owner for Rodgers the day of the trade deadline.

I'm heading to the dance and hopefully my first title (I'm the FF fat chick at the wedding; always the bridesmaid/booty call).

undefeated guy in one league started off with Beast/DeMarco from the 10 (outta 12) hole.

he supplemented with Manny Sanders, Luck and T.Y. through 5 rounds.

snagged Evans and KBenji later on.

scooped CJ Anderson and Forsett and freakin' ODB from the WW.

damnit.

any strategy can pay big dividends ... :thumbsup:

and congrats on hittin' the dance, Filth ... hope someone puts a ring on that fat biatch this year :banana:

I went WR in the first 3 rounds with D. Thomas, D. Bryant & J. Nelson. My intention was to go RB in the 3rd but couldn't pass on Jordy. In hindsight I should've went with L. Bell in the 4th instead I grabbed Gio. (Bad move). At the time Bell was looking to split carries & just got arrested, so I was apprehensive. I finished the season 7-7, led the league in points scored but also in points allowed.

I went RB, RB and that didn't work out very well for me.

Ball didn't ball all year.

Lacy took off 6 weeks, so I traded him for Megatron.

Nope, in PPR I will still go wr/wr.

Got Demaryius and A Brown with my 1,2 picks (picked 9th in 10 team redraft), got Julio with 3, VJax with 4, and Gronkowski was there for me I the 5th. Also got Sanders later in the draft. Didnt get a RB until late, ended up with Joique, CJA, and Hill.

Playing in the ship, projected to win by 10.

grabbing stud WRs early worked out, my main league drafts RBs and QBs fairly early so I knew stud WRs would be there in rd 2/3.

Standard scoring I went RB-WR-WR

Charles-Jordy-Brown- then Toby-Maclin-Foles-SJax-Hill-Allen-Eli (1st/2nd in points) = Championship game

&

Peterson-Jordy-Brown- lost 1st round (had Bradshaw most of the season to fill the Beaterson hole) (8-5) 5th in points

Later pick, PPR w/flex, I went

Dez-AJ-Jordy- lost 1st round (9-4) 3rd in points

Strategy isn't that big of a deal in 10'teamers. 12 team leagues are a whole different ball game. In 10 teams, it's not who you draft, it's who you play. Very hard to overcome a bad draft/injuries in a 12 team league. I only play in a ten teamed for low amounts of money, as my skill is diminished. I play in $500 plus 12 team leagues where my skill is a bigger factor.

I think you have to look at is this way - any strategy pays off if you hit on the players you select. However the one thing to be said for going WR/WR this year in a 12 teamer is that there were no outright "busts" of any of the WR's with ADP's in rounds one and two.

The following are based on this sites ADPs and non-ppr scoring - 12 team redraft.

For the WR's the worst performer of that group was Brandon Marshall averaging 9.2 PPG. You were certainly disappointed with megatron's 11.8, and his injuries but not a flat out bust. Alshon Jeffery was the next lowest at 11.4. All the other WR's with ADP's in the first two rounds averaged 13.2 PPG (A.J. Green) up to 15.5 PPG (Antonio Brown). Basically you had a 10% chance to pick a bust with each pick or a 33% chance to pick a bust/disappointment but not a draft killer. You had a 66% chance to pick a stud WR on each pick.

Much different story in the RB arena. For RB's with top two round ADP's there were 3 busts. And these were busts far beyond Brandon Marshall in the WR group. Montee Ball, Doug Martin, and AP were useless this year. In addition there were 4 "disappointments" Shady McCoy, Alf Morris, Gio Bernard and Andre Ellington all averaging between 10.6 and 11.3 PPG. This leaves Foster, Murray, Lynch, Lacy, Forte and Charles as performers worthy of these picks averaging between 14.7 and 19.6 PPG. So if you were going RB/RB you had a 23% chance of selecting a bust on either pick or a 47% chance of selecting a bust or disappointment. That left you with a 53% chance of selecting a stud RB on each pick.

In addition, the WR Bust (Brandon Marshall) wasn't as severe as the 3 RB's busts in Ball, Martin, and Peterson.

So if you went in dead set on going WR WR it gave you a 13% better chance per pick of hitting a stud player and a 13% better chance of avoiding a bust in the first two rounds. Really the only outlier in this data set was Murray as he averaged 19.6 over the season 4ppg better than Antonio Brown. Foster also had a similar 19.5 ppg, but he did miss several games along the way and his production was certainly not replaceable even if you knew that in advance.

So while I think WR/WR would ultimately yield better teams over a large data set it really comes down to not blowing your first two picks and hitting on some guys late in the draft more than a particular strategy.

I tried this strategy for the first time and picked up Calvin Johnson and Antonio Brown and for my backup picked up Jeremy Maclin and rode it through the whole season and now made it to the championships with a 7-7 record.

Worked well for me all year. I went Demaryius and Dez. Since i hit on all my WRs, I traded Dez for Rodgers and Morris early on. I made it to the championship round, despite Rodgers last week.