Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Cheating at Golf

:thumbsdown:

It's a $800 a foursome. First place team usually gets a $200 dollar putter for each player and the second place team gets a nice golf bag. We shot a 60 one year and came in third behind those two. I knew they had cheated.

Same team seems to always win the tourney I am playing in tomorrow morning.

almost makes me want to buy a drone with a camera and follow them around.

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Professional-Quadcopter-Camera/dp/B00VSITBJO/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1435255361&sr=1-5&keywords=drone+camera&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

So I guess there's no way to stop the cheating without direct supervision?

This is going to lead to the event's demise if we don't figure it out.

We may have to stop the cash prizes and/or all prizes related to scoring and just give the winner a trophy.

Maybe we'll use the giveaways only as door prizes or raffle prizes.

People suck.

So I guess there's no way to stop the cheating without direct supervision?

This is going to lead to the event's demise if we don't figure it out.

We may have to stop the cash prizes and/or all prizes related to scoring and just give the winner a trophy.

Maybe we'll use the giveaways only as door prizes or raffle prizes.

People suck.

Unfortunately that's true. Or you give donated prizes for the first place team

Top 3 teams play one hole at the end. Everyone watches.

That is a focking fantastic idea!

the course I am playing tomorrow, everyone can watch 18 from the clubhouse/blacony/porch while waiting for the food.

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Professional-Quadcopter-Camera/dp/B00VSITBJO/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1435255361&sr=1-5&keywords=drone+camera&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Maybe you'll get lucky and get stuck right behind them. Then keep track of their scores to the best of your ability and sneak a peek at their card at the end

Brady, Bonds, Armstrong and Rose?

Hmm. This has potential.

How is one hole gonna decide anything? Other than saying "wow, look how crappy that swing it, there is no way they put up at 62".

How is one hole gonna decide anything? Other than saying "wow, look how crappy that swing it, there is no way they put up at 62".

It's not just one hole. You have to finish in the top 3.

Hmm. This has potential.

I wouldn't sell it as an anti cheating method. I would say it's to add excitement to the tournament.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get stuck right behind them. Then keep track of their scores to the best of your ability and sneak a peek at their cars at the end

same groupings every year.

other 4 someone that plays with us is miserably bad.

I think tomorrow will be my 10th year.

we tied for 1st one year, lost because the tie breaker we got a bogey (10 under)

come in 2nd another time (-9) and 3rd (-8)

I didn't show up one year, because I was up all night blowing lines. my team picked up a guy with a broken arm and they focking won :( guy with broken arm only putted and the best guy on the team, took 2 shots.

winning scores last few years have been in the 50s.

same groupings every year.

other 4 someone that plays with us is miserably bad.

I think tomorrow will be my 10th year.

we tied for 1st one year, lost because the tie breaker we got a bogey (10 under)

come in 2nd another time (-9) and 3rd (-8)

I didn't show up one year, because I was up all night blowing lines. my team picked up a guy with a broken arm and they focking won :(

winning scores last few years have been in the 50s.

:lol:

That pretty much tells you where you stand in life :first:

:lol:

That pretty much tells you where you stand in life :first:

Yup. a complete and utter failure

It won't eliminate the cheating in and of itself.

But, what if it was expanded so that the top 5 groups go to a three hole playoff?

I believe 2-3 of the top 5 groups would be legit, and a legit group SHOULD triumph in that scenario.

Maybe the cheating groups would get trounced so badly during the playoff that they'll slink back in shame and stop focking up my event.

But, what if it was expanded so that the top 5 groups go to a three hole playoff?

I believe 2-3 of the top 5 groups would be legit, and a legit group SHOULD triumph in that scenario.

Maybe the cheating groups would get trounced so badly during the playoff that they'll slink back in shame and stop focking up my event.

Top5 sounds good to me. If that group that wins every year focks up during that last round they are going to be pissed. I say let them throw a fit

Good luck. You're going to have teams out there for 5-6 hours already, now an extra hour - plus an awards ceremony? No way I see guys hanging out there for 8/9 hours.

Plus - if you have a morning start, taking a huge gamble that they will even have an opening for you to get back on the course. Could be backed up with regular play.

Good luck. You're going to have teams out there for 5-6 hours already, now an extra hour - plus an awards ceremony? No way I see guys hanging out there for 8/9 hours.

Plus - if you have a morning start, taking a huge gamble that they will even have an opening for you to get back on the course. Could be back up with regular play.

You're right. Time is the biggest obstacle for this scenario.

We eliminated the putting contest this year since people complained about it taking too long after the scramble.

Plus - if you have a morning start, taking a huge gamble that they will even have an opening for you to get back on the course. Could be backed up with regular play.

people get to the course at 7 am and by the time the food and raffles are done, it is around 4.

I didn't show up one year, because I was up all night blowing lines. my team picked up a guy with a broken arm and they focking won

I'd say you were the real winner

I'd say you were the real winner

Yeah, the bleach blonde with fake cans I was with (my GF at the time) we had a good time I am sure.

until it was time to sleep and she couldn't and drove me insane

it is my favorite day of the year though.

I golf all day, take a nap and then dj one of the largest crowds we have all year.

• Like 1

Get rid of the mulligans. There should be no need for them with four people playing on a team. If you insist on keeping them, it's 20 bucks per mulligan( with a limit) that goes to the charity. If these guys still come in with the same scores as in the past when they were using mulligans, they are FOS. At worst you get more for the charity.

Get rid of the mulligans. There should be no need for them with four people playing on a team. If you insist on keeping them, it's 20 bucks per mulligan( with a limit) that goes to the charity. If these guys still come in with the same scores as in the past when they were using mulligans, they are FOS. At worst you get more for the charity.

No tourneys I play in have them,. or strings, or anything like that.

There shouldn't be. I've never played one that does. You have four shots already, that's enough

There shouldn't be. I've never played one that does. You have four shots already, that's enough

:thumbsup:

if I had 4 shots, I might be able to break par.

You don't appear to have run a golf tournament before. The entire concept is to raise money. You make more $$ selling them at $5a pop than at $20. And eliminating mulligans altogether is out of the question - it's a cash cow.

when we have our 1st annual geek golf extravaganza how will we do it?

You don't appear to have run a golf tournament before. The entire concept is to raise money. You make more $$ selling them at $5a pop than at $20. And eliminating mulligans altogether is out of the question - it's a cash cow.

I never have run a tournament. The OP never stated they sold them. I also have never played in one that has them. Maybe things are done different in the North East.

I never have run a tournament. The OP never stated they sold them. I also have never played in one that has them. Maybe things are done different in the North East.

Yes, better. Like everything else

when we have our 1st annual geek golf extravaganza how will we do it?

Blind draw after the round. Everyone plays their own ball and keeps score as individuals. Play with whoever you want or random 4 somes.

Then at the end of the round, you pick teams at random by drawing names out of a hat. Do team scores on best gross of top 2 or all 4 of each team by hole.

Lot less cheating because you are likely not playing with your "partner"

Blind draw after the round. Everyone plays their own ball and keeps score as individuals. Play with whoever you want or random 4 somes.

Then at the end of the round, you pick teams at random by drawing names out of a hat. Do team scores on best gross of top 2 or all 4 of each team by hole.

Lot less cheating because you are likely not playing with your "partner"

That is how my league does it.

we do it off of quota.

then draw a random partner from a hat.

Cheating on the scorecard is just sad. rolling the ball to better lie in the rough when you're having a bad round is understandable.

ETA -- I know it's a scramble 4 man - but 59 60 61 scores? were you playing with club pro's or something - I have been in MANY a scramble with my work and the winning score is maybe 67 at best 65 with most in the 70's . I am a 12 handi and played a scramble with similar players and we were stoked about our 65 and won the thing.

I played a scramble once that gave you three mulligans in one. You got a regular mulligan, hit from the ladies tees, and an extension of your shot. An extension of your shot can only be used around the greens. It's basically you walking up to your ball if you're around the green and throwing it as close to the tee as you can. If you're hitting two, you throw it up on the green and putt for three. Dumb.

I played a scramble once that gave you three mulligans in one. You got a regular mulligan, hit from the ladies tees, and an extension of your shot. An extension of your shot can only be used around the greens. It's basically you walking up to your ball if you're around the green and throwing it as close to the tee as you can. If you're hitting two, you throw it up on the green and putt for three. Dumb.

a mulligan in a scramble ??? you got 4 people hitting the same ball (location) WTF you need a mulligan for?

I don't mind doing a shamble, but I don't think this will cut down on the cheating.

Guys who are cheating now will call everything inside 5 ft. a gimmie, fluff up their lies, won't count any penalty strokes, and on and on.

No I didn't mean a shamble will cut down on cheating although it's much harder to explain a 52 in a shamble since you're only using best ball off the tee

a mulligan in a scramble ??? you got 4 people hitting the same ball (location) WTF you need a mulligan for?

They make money off of it. I always get one and only use it for a putt.

When I fished bass tournaments it would happen every once in a while. Not in the club tournaments where everyone knew each other, but in weekly open-to-all tournaments...

Somebody who nobody's ever seen before shows up with an 8+ lb bass that looks it's been dead for 12 hrs and wins Big Bass money. It's risky though because drunk rednecks don't cotton to cheaters. Seen a few brawls break out at the boat ramp.

Dead fish = 1/2 the weight in my fishing tournaments.

So much to comment on, I'll just make bullet points:

- Cheating on a scorecard in a tourney is pathetic. When playing casually I've hit the ball into the treeline and thought I'd find it, I didn't, so I said fock it, dropped a ball, and took a stroke. But to cheat in an actual competition is sad. More on this later.

- Agreed you can't add a playoff. It's a charity event, you can't have people out there for 7 hours.

- So what can you do? Not much really. You can try talking to the alleged (probable) cheaters and say that some of the other golfers were concerned that some cheating might go on. They'll deny it of course. Question is, will they pony up for the tourney next year? Presumably you want them to participate because they pay money to the charity. If you had a full tourney and somebody willing to take their place, you could obviously tell them they aren't welcome next year, but you don't, and you want their money.

- Speaking of wanting their money, I don't get the mulligan hate. We had a charity tourney for my kids' grade school every year, and people paid for mulligans. The school made I'm guessing into the thousands of dollars on them. The point is to raise money for the school, not to have a USGA sanctioned scramble.

Anyway, back to cheating in a competition -- I was involved in a golf cheating scandal in HS. I was on the HS team and at our district championships, we were grouped in threesomes where A kept B score, B kept C, C kept A. Apparently there were spotters watching golfers with binoculars. Say I was player C -- after the round our group was approached by officials about B's score not being accurate, implying he had cheated. I was asked about it and said I dunno, I wasn't tracking his scorecard. In hindsight though, B was being really chummy with A, and when I heard his score I wasn't surprised that they had cheated. Terrible.

If the school is making in "the thousands" on mulligans then by all means keep them. I didnt realize that much was made off of them. Like I said, the tournys I've played in don't have them but maybe they should.