Sign in to follow this  
james00

Melvin Gordon vs. Ameer Abdullah

What round are you willing to take a chance on these guys? And who would you pick first? And who will have the better season? Would you consider both of these guys rb2s?

i'm not ready to cut my board just yet, but gordon will likely be well above abdullah. i see gordon as an RB2, and abdullah as a flex with serious upside.

but again, this is off-the-cuff. i haven't sat down and run the numbers yet.

like Abdullah over Gordan at this time .

Both have a lot of promise, but I won't own either in any draft. They have high ceilings, but also low floors. They are much better as RB3s than 2s. That said, I'd have Gordon over Abdullah because is role is slightly more well defined.

• Like 1

- in ppr it's the Butcher, and that's a no brainer

- to wit with above point, take Woodhead in the 8th/9th, and you outscore Gordo

HTH -

I waited too long to take my RB and ended up with Melvin as my rb1. I didn't know too much about him because I don't follow college that closely. I did a little research on him and he averaged 7 yards per carry last year. BUT I guess he shuffles his feet too much so he gets stuffed at the line a lot. (I forget the exact percentage but I think 20% of his carries) I don't know what Wisconsin's system is like but he must be a boom or bust kind of runner. I mean how else do you average 7 yards a carry when you get stuffed 20% of the time at the line? I'm not sure how that translates to the pros but I know it is probably going to lead to a lot of frustration for owners early going. If I had to do the draft over, I would probably take Abdullah over Melvin but target Melvin for a trade mid-season with hopes that he might break out at some point like Jeremy hill did last year.

I like Abdullah a lot, but his price is too high right now. If you draft him for an RB2, you will probably be disappointed first half of the season. If you get him as your Flex/RB3 or RB4, then I like it better. Joique Bell will be coming off PUP and will be Detroit's main back. Theo Riddick will get carries. Abdullah may take the main role, but it won't be until later in the season if at all.

Are you willing to take Abdullah that early for a possibility later in the season?

I would rather take Arian Foster iin the 6th instead of Abdullah in the 4th.

I prefer Gordon but it's close enough for a coin toss if you are undecided. I pay no attention to 6 carries for 11 yards in the first preseason game. Once San Diego opens up the passing game he's going to rip off very long runs.

I prefer Gordon but it's close enough for a coin toss if you are undecided. I pay no attention to 6 carries for 11 yards in the first preseason game. Once San Diego opens up the passing game he's going to rip off very long runs.

Too bad he won't be on the field during obvious passing downs. Watching Abdullah, it's obvious he's the more explosive back. He'll be in a better situation as well, in my opinion.

Here's one of the reasons I am higher on Abdullah (certainly in PPR anyway):

Detroit is in the second year of running Joe Lombardi's New Orleans-inspired offense. Abdullah will almost certainly play the Reggie Bush role and doesn't have the injury history of his predecessor. Joique Bell may or may not be ready for the start of the season at this point (he hasn't even practiced yet this year!). I'd say Joique is probably going to need about four weeks to get to the point where is ready to handle 15 carries regularly, if it even gets to that point.

Even if we assume Abdullah doesn't start the season as the lead back, I think his upside is somewhere around 50-60 receptions. Gordon's upside is probably around 20. Let's conservatively saw both players average at eight yards per catch.

Abdullah - 50 catches (50 points) for 400 yards (40 points)

Gordon - 20 catches (20 points) for 160 yards (16 points)

If you're willing to buy this math, Abdullah has a 54-point lead on Gordon based solely on the passing game and even before we start counting touchdowns. Can Gordon make that difference up as a runner with Woodhead stealing valuable touches (including in the red zone)?

Too bad he won't be on the field during obvious passing downs. Watching Abdullah, it's obvious he's the more explosive back. He'll be in a better situation as well, in my opinion.

I agree he won't be in on third and long but it isn't a run-run-pass on third offense. I disagree that Abdullah is obviously the more explosive back. Watch their college tape, look at their measurables, and IMO Gordon will 'more explosive' though I still think Abdullah is a great prospect as an NFL running back.

I have no problem with people taking Abdullah but his situation isn't any less murky than Gordon nor do I think through the preseason thus far we can judge which will be a better NFL running back.

Gordon can't block. You have been warned

If you have already made up your mind you'll probably read this and dismiss it because hey, what else would he say?

Chargers RBs coach Ollie Wilson said Melvin Gordon's pass-protection concerns are overblown.
"When he matches up, he’ll put his head in and strike somebody," Wilson said. "He’s a big-bodied guy, and he’s long, so he keeps people off of him. I don’t see what people say, that he won’t pass protect. I’ve had no problem with it."

If you have already made up your mind you'll probably read this and dismiss it because hey, what else would he say?

Chargers RBs coach Ollie Wilson said Melvin Gordon's pass-protection concerns are overblown.

"When he matches up, hell put his head in and strike somebody," Wilson said. "Hes a big-bodied guy, and hes long, so he keeps people off of him. I dont see what people say, that he wont pass protect. Ive had no problem with it."

Lots of people make up their mind on a player, then hop into a thread looking for the devils advocate. Gordon really hasn't impressed in preseason, but you're correct not to read into it.

However I just prefer the upside of Abdullah a little better. He's got a Barry Sanders type style, including a vicious spin move. But he's no scat back either. In fact his entire senior year he posted a sign in his room-

"You're just a scat back."

He's worked hard to develop some power, and though he doesn't have elite speed his 4.54 time will net him some big plays coming out of the backfield in Detroit's offense. They'll use him as a pass catcher until he takes Bell's job, a role he excelled in at Nebraska where he caught 73 passes and 7 TDs.

Just have visions of him running wild on that Ford Field turf, catching swing passes from Mathew Stafford.

ever since jj Arrington busted as a rookie I've been scared to take another. their prices are always too high for the risk. maybe look to trade for them a month in if their owners are getting scared....I did that with hill last season.

Lots of people make up their mind on a player, then hop into a thread looking for the devils advocate. Gordon really hasn't impressed in preseason, but you're correct not to read into it.

However I just prefer the upside of Abdullah a little better. He's got a Barry Sanders type style, including a vicious spin move. But he's no scat back either. In fact his entire senior year he posted a sign in his room-

He's worked hard to develop some power, and though he doesn't have elite speed his 4.54 time will net him some big plays coming out of the backfield in Detroit's offense. They'll use him as a pass catcher until he takes Bell's job, a role he excelled in at Nebraska where he caught 73 passes and 7 TDs.

Just have visions of him running wild on that Ford Field turf, catching swing passes from Mathew Stafford.

IMO it's hard to see either guy being a bust and it wouldn't surprise me if I draft Abdullah. At their current ADP it's just more likely that Gordon is on my team than Abdullah.

Here's one of the reasons I am higher on Abdullah (certainly in PPR anyway):

Detroit is in the second year of running Joe Lombardi's New Orleans-inspired offense. Abdullah will almost certainly play the Reggie Bush role and doesn't have the injury history of his predecessor. Joique Bell may or may not be ready for the start of the season at this point (he hasn't even practiced yet this year!). I'd say Joique is probably going to need about four weeks to get to the point where is ready to handle 15 carries regularly, if it even gets to that point.

Even if we assume Abdullah doesn't start the season as the lead back, I think his upside is somewhere around 50-60 receptions. Gordon's upside is probably around 20. Let's conservatively saw both players average at eight yards per catch.

Abdullah - 50 catches (50 points) for 400 yards (40 points)

Gordon - 20 catches (20 points) for 160 yards (16 points)

If you're willing to buy this math, Abdullah has a 54-point lead on Gordon based solely on the passing game and even before we start counting touchdowns. Can Gordon make that difference up as a runner with Woodhead stealing valuable touches (including in the red zone)?

Great analysis. I'm sold.

And last night they treated Abdullah like a seasoned vet by limiting his playing time. Tells me the staff doesn't need anymore proof. He's the guy.

I'm all in.

Gordon is splitting carries with two other solid RBs. Abdullah doesn't have much competition in Detroit.

Abdullah is splitting carries with Bell and another guy. He's defined closer to a third down back. Gordon is going to get the ball more.

Depends on the type of league you are in , PPR its Abdullah .

You're getting soft.

4.54!!!

Outside of the one big run, can someone tell me exactly what Abdullah has done?

Well, he's a rookie so it's all projection. But he had back to back 1600 yard seasons at Nebraska and is the second all time rusher there. So he has pedigree. He's a dynamic back who catches passes well (ppr). And Joique has been hurt and he's played well in the pre-season. And by all accounts should get beacoup touches.

Seems like a lot of upside. Will it pan out? Who knows, but the recipe sounds delightful.

You're getting soft.

4.54!!!

Dude, I'm going to have to get you an autographed 8 x 10 lol... Actually, the rookie RB with the fastest 40 time at this years combine is Jeremy Langford out of Michigan State. He's a 6'0 210 lb kid who ran a 4.42 and is in Chicago behind Forte and Kadeem Carey. Langford is very adept in the passing game, both as a receiver and as a blocker. He'd look very good in Dallas right now, but the Bears snapped him up early in the 4th round. He'll pass Carey on the depth chart, and a 30 year old Forte is in a contract year.

Keeper league players should take a look. A late round selection could turn into gold next season.