Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Giants at Cowboys: In-Game Discussion

Steven A. Smith is flipping out right now. Lol!!!

I am starting to enjoy the win.

Steven A. Smith and Skip Bayless are two of the most entertaining sports guys to listen to, even though Bayless is an idiot sometimes.

... even though Bayless is an idiot sometimes.

Sometimes? Pfft, 99.4% of the time.

Notes on the game:

* Not a lucky win, but damn sure a fortunate win. To play that sloppy, with that many turnovers, and still win - fortunate.

* D. Murray was clearly missed last night.. That being said, no need for panic mode. Dallas still got 211 total yards out of the RB position.... IMO - DMC looked better and more explosive, but that's just me.

* Last night was the 1st time since basically the first few days of training camp that the entire offensive line has been on the field together. They were rusty, prolly a bit gassed, and it showed. They will be better.

* Our defensive front was not very good - especially at stopping critical run downs... On the flip side, Mo Claiborne was fantastic.

* This win was costly - very costly. Dez gone 4-6 weeks, Gregory gone 4-6 weeks, Leary gone, who knows how long. Couple this with Scandrick already - not good at all.

* WTF was Eli and Coughlin thinking? If that had been Romo and Garrett passing on that down - they would be getting roasted on this board and across the country today - not to mention laughed out of the stadium.... Eli not only botched that play, but he also cost the Giants about 18 seconds earlier when he snapped the ball after trouble with the time clock - could of easily run off more time there too.

* And then there's Romo. The haters will give him no credit bcoz this was not a SB or Conference game - and that's fine, that's what they do... But he was off the chain last night. Had that been Rogers - there would be an 1 hour documentary on ESPN tonight talking about it.

These are great takes from an informed fan of his team. Good job. I could almost hear the stadium rocking from my pad, four miles away. My thoughts...

-This is a different team than last year. Forget 12-4 and everything that came with it. What that means, it's hard to say as of yet. Injuries will have much to do with it.

-The RB committee worked fine last night, but before anyone gets glassy eyed look who they were playing. I like how they overcame the turnovers, but again, they were playing the Giants.

-I'd be very excited about having a nice receiving/COP back like Dunbar. He really saved their asses last night.

-Why was Collins inactive???? That could have been costly once Leary went down.

-Romo threw the ball way too many times and took some vicious shots. I predict Randle's ineptitude at blocking will keep him off the field. This is why DeMarco had 400 carries last year. If this team wants 12-4, it MUST run the football with power.

-I actually liked the rush defense, they stepped up huge late. This game really should've been over after Mincy's idiocy.

-As bad as they were, injuries could have been far worse. Winning that game helps.

-Romo is cementing himself as a Cowboy legend. Super Bowl or no.

-This team still has a long shot wildcard.

Michael was an inactive, but there still may be opportunity there. If he can create a power running game, coupled with Dunbar? Then we're talking. I still think a committee suffers in continuity and will not get the job done against the better teams.

-45 passes by Romo is too many.

-Raider fans are killing Derek Carr this morning. He made a bone headed play on a scramble to get himself hurt. I reminded them that even $100 million super bowl winning QBs make bone headed mistakes.

-The cowboys are best when Dunbar on the field... it's that simple. McFadden had one series where he looked like he could potentially be the guy to move the chains, but other than that I didn't see DMC or Randle doing much of anything.

-I think that Escobar needs to step up BIG TIME if the cowboys are going to have any success this season, as they appeared to run best when he and witten were loaded to one side. If he can become a dual threat TE then the cowboys might have something going forward.

-Beasley needs to keep his head up... right now he is the most explosive offensive weapon the cowboys have.

-Williams made a step in the right direction, as he was getting up the sideline, coming back when romo was in trouble, and not making stupid drops or fumbles

-Street looked lost out there, i know that he's only a 2nd year guy, but he needs to step up if he's going to be in on 3WR sets for the next 4-6 weeks

-The cowboys are best when Dunbar on the field... it's that simple. McFadden had one series where he looked like he could potentially be the guy to move the chains, but other than that I didn't see DMC or Randle doing much of anything.

Many don't remember, but before Sproles and his ilk were tearing up chunks of yardage on short dump passes - Emmitt Smith was doing the same. He used to check for a rusher then release 5 yards in the middle of the field - catch it and go for chunks of 7, 8, 10, 12 yards all the time. Now we finally seem to have found a back that can do the same. I hope we don't try and out think ourselves and stick to it - it's a deadly weapon.

Many don't remember, but before Sproles and his ilk were tearing up chunks of yardage on short dump passes - Emmitt Smith was doing the same. He used to check for a rusher then release 5 yards in the middle of the field - catch it and go for chunks of 7, 8, 10, 12 yards all the time. Now we finally seem to have found a back that can do the same. I hope we don't try and out think ourselves and stick to it - it's a deadly weapon.

And behind that line he can run out of the shotgun as a COP as well.

I missed the late game winning TD to Witten, but as a Witten owner, I was thrilled.

Stupid PVR cut the end of the game off..

Anyway, the Dez injury certainly means Witten will have to become more involved. I think Randle looked pretty average last night, expecting him to just step in and replace Murray is a stretch. I see a RBBC developing in Dallas.

They've gone from a run offense to a pass first offence, which over time will expose mistakes by Romo again.

Notes on the game:

* Not a lucky win, but damn sure a fortunate win. To play that sloppy, with that many turnovers, and still win - fortunate.

* D. Murray was clearly missed last night.. That being said, no need for panic mode. Dallas still got 211 total yards out of the RB position.... IMO - DMC looked better and more explosive, but that's just me.

* Last night was the 1st time since basically the first few days of training camp that the entire offensive line has been on the field together. They were rusty, prolly a bit gassed, and it showed. They will be better.

* Our defensive front was not very good - especially at stopping critical run downs... On the flip side, Mo Claiborne was fantastic.

* This win was costly - very costly. Dez gone 4-6 weeks, Gregory gone 4-6 weeks, Leary gone, who knows how long. Couple this with Scandrick already - not good at all.

* WTF was Eli and Coughlin thinking? If that had been Romo and Garrett passing on that down - they would be getting roasted on this board and across the country today - not to mention laughed out of the stadium.... Eli not only botched that play, but he also cost the Giants about 18 seconds earlier when he snapped the ball after trouble with the time clock - could of easily run off more time there too.

* And then there's Romo. The haters will give him no credit bcoz this was not a SB or Conference game - and that's fine, that's what they do... But he was off the chain last night. Had that been Rogers - there would be an 1 hour documentary on ESPN tonight talking about it.

1 full hour of verbal jackoffery about how good Arodge is

1 full hour of verbal jackoffery about how good Arodge is

Well he is pretty amaze-balls. At least we don't have to listen to Madden licking Brett Favre's taint at every opportunity, so there's that.

Well he is pretty amaze-balls. At least we don't have to listen to Madden licking Brett Favre's taint at every opportunity, so there's that.

Oh i know. You could see the taint crumbs all over Maddens mouth after a Packer game. Madden was the cookie monster to Favres taint.

Oh i know. You could see the taint crumbs all over Maddens mouth after a Packer game. Madden was the cookie monster to Favres taint.

hahaha... and summerall too drunk to care

:wub: Fock Madden was so in love with Favre, I think he made a point of mentioning him at every game.

Older but still funny, Bret Favre talk starts at about 4:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKkpyRo4n0o

I'm still shocked the Giants gave it away with Eli throwing the incomplete. It's not even about being "time smart", any moron with a basic understanding of the rules knows what to do. Let alone an experienced player and coach being paid multi-millions of dollars.

I just lost a ton of respect for Eli and Coughlin. Apparently, I'd been giving them way too much credit.

I'm still shocked the Giants gave it away with Eli throwing the incomplete. It's not even about being "time smart", any moron with a basic understanding of the rules knows what to do. Let alone an experienced player and coach being paid multi-millions of dollars.

I just lost a ton of respect for Eli and Coughlin. Apparently, I'd been giving them way too much credit.

the giants are notorious for pulling shat like this early in the season... they will blow a bunch of games... coughlin will be put on the hot-seat... they will go on a tear to end the season and either just make or just miss the playoffs... you can almost set your watch by it

Roto:

Rashad Jennings tells ESPN's Dan Graziano he was told not to score on 1st- and 2nd-and-goal on New York's final drive Sunday evening.

The idea being, to drain clock. Only the Giants then made the worst call of the young season, opting to pass on third down. They didn't complete it, and the Cowboys got an extra 40 seconds. Tony Romo promptly marched the Cowboys down the field for the game-winning touchdown after the Giants settled for a field goal. If true, it's a mind-bogglingly bad decision from coach Tom Coughlin, who has seemed increasingly out of his element in recent seasons.

:doh:

-Why was Collins inactive???? That could have been costly once Leary went down.

math. bernadeaux backs up both G and C, vice collins at G only. this makes a huge difference on the 46-man gameday roster. because of this, collins will probably continue to be a gameday inactive unless/until he moves into the starting lineup.

completely agree that murray was missed. randle had a couple of decent runs, and 141 rec yards from the RB spot was nice, but the authority was missing. the run game didn't put a suspect front 7 on its heels, which is disturbing.

but i think romo's number of attempts is overblown. yes it was high, but that was due to guys putting the football on the turf--attempts are going to be higher when trailing. that's the nature of the game. but a second look reveals that 8-10 of those 45 attempts were quick-strike, almost west coast reads (bubble screens, quick outs, quick crossers). unlike outlets or checkdowns, these are designed to get the ball out almost instantly, and consequently involve much less risk of protection breaking down. the WC uses plays of this type to set up the run game, and it's a very effective addition to the toolbox.

so all in all, a mixed bag. the defense did exactly what it is designed to do--bend but not break. the crappy corners made ODB invisible for most of the game, and wilcox erased him (apparently, ODB told wilcox postgame that it was the hardest he had ever been hit). NY's only offensive TD came on a 1 yard drive. but for the 2 turnover returns, this wasn't even close.

OTOH, the offense sputtered all through the 2nd/3rdQ, and couldn't dominate the LOS. randle looked randlish in pass pro, and there was no consistent downfield work until the 4thQ. once gregory went down, so did the pressure on eli. and the run defense was getting gashed in crunch time (though they did come up big on the GL).

so a lot of wrok to be done, but also a lot of reasons for optimism.

Roto:

:doh:

You gotta be kidding me.

They were up 23-20 with 1:34 to go on 3rd and goal when Eli thows the ball away and stops the clock. They could have run twice, and turned the ball over on downs on 4th down after a run on the 1 yard line likely with less than 30 seconds left on the clock. Just run right at them on 3rd and 4th down.

Why the wouldn't they want Jennings to score and make it a 10 point game? That would have iced it even with 2 minutes left.

Coughlin.

Why the ###### wouldn't they want Jennings to score and make it a 10 point game? That would have iced it even with 2 minutes left.

Easy. Because of the new extra point rules, they had a higher chance of missing the PAT. So if they're up by three, and then score but miss the PAT, they're only up by 9. That leaves the Cowboys with over a minute to drive the length of the field, score 6, and then decide not to kick and go for 3 instead. Boom. Tie game. :ninja:

Easy. Because of the new extra point rules, they had a higher chance of missing the PAT. So if they're up by three, and then score but miss the PAT, they're only up by 9. That leaves the Cowboys with over a minute to drive the length of the field, score 6, and then decide not to kick and go for 3 instead. Boom. Tie game. :ninja:

Even then. Even then nobody would fault Coughlin as he would have a statistically high chance of getting the win.

I don't understand your math here. Even if they Giants miss the XP convert, and the Cowboys score and go for 2point conversion they're still down a point after scoring 8...They still have to recover an onside kick and drive into FG range again. Odds are still very much in favour of the Giants in this scenario. How do you get the Cowboys all of a sudden scoring 9 on one drive?

Even then. Even then nobody would fault Coughlin as he would have a statistically high chance of getting the win.

I don't understand your math here. Even if they Giants miss the XP convert, and the Cowboys score and go for 2point conversion they're still down a point after scoring 8...They still have to recover an onside kick and drive into FG range again. Odds are still very much in favour of the Giants in this scenario. How do you get the Cowboys all of a sudden scoring 9 on one drive?

i thought when he said "go for 3" he was being cheeky... in coughlin's old age, maybe he thought you could go for 3...

i thought when he said "go for 3" he was being cheeky... in coughlin's old age, maybe he thought you could go for 3...

Ahh, ninja sarcasm detection fail. :ninja:

Understood.

Coughlin just confused himself.

i thought when he said "go for 3" he was being cheeky...

No no, go for three. If you bounce the ball off the crossbar with enough spin so it comes back into the field of play, catch it, and run it into the endzone, it's 3 points. Seriously.

No no, go for three. If you bounce the ball off the crossbar with enough spin so it comes back into the field of play, catch it, and run it into the endzone, it's 3 points. Seriously.

Ahh yes, Rule 98.1, subsection 3. (Hidden 3 point crossbar bounce bonus point recovery rule, but only after the 2 minute warning).

does this mean i need to pick up one of the dude perfect guys for my flex?

Ahh yes, Rule 98.1, subsection 3. (Hidden 3 point crossbar bounce bonus point recovery rule, but only after the 2 minute warning).

They brought it over from the CFL, and even those guys don't understand their kicking points.

does this mean i need to pick up one of the dude perfect guys for my flex?

LOL

They brought it over from the CFL, and even those guys don't understand their kicking points.

LOL

, I'm Canadian, and I love the CFL and we have some seriously stupid rules.

You get a point in our league for missing a FG if it goes through the back of the endzone. Yay! let's reward failure!