Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Official Latavius Murray reception conspiracy of 2015

For those that missed the play, Murray had a 24 yd reception that he then lateraled to Amari Cooper. Murray was originally given the yardage because the referee stated that both penalties on the play were declined by San Diego. This would allow the play to stand and end the half. Now, the NFL.com box score is stating that one of the penalties was accepted, which was not whaf the referee stated. Now Murray has the yardage removed as the play never took place.

4-4-OAK 46 (:03) (Shotgun) D.Carr pass short right to L.Murray to SD 30 for 24 yards. Lateral to A.Cooper to OAK 46 for -24 yards. Lateral to D.Carr to SD 49 for 5 yards. Lateral to M.Crabtree to SD 49 for no gain (M.Te'o). Penalty on OAK-J.Feliciano, Illegal Block Above the Waist, declined. PENALTY on OAK-G.Jackson, Ineligible Downfield Pass, 0 yards, enforced at OAK 46 - No Play.

I just noticed that, thanks for posting this. I had over 20 points when I last checked. Now I have 17.

Meanwhile, ESPN's play by play still says this: 4th and 4 at OAK 46

(0:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) D.Carr pass short right to L.Murray to SD 30 for 24 yards. Lateral to A.Cooper to OAK 46 for -24 yards. Lateral to D.Carr to SD 49 for 5 yards. Lateral to M.Crabtree to SD 49 for no gain (M.Te'o). Penalty on OAK-J.Feliciano, Illegal Block Above the Waist, declined. Penalty on OAK-G.Jackson, Ineligible Downfield Pass, declined

This whole situation is b.s. With all the millions of dollars in fantasy football these days, with every fraction of a point being crucial to someone out there, how hard is it for statisticians to not be confused imbeciles all the time?

I cant see how they cant reverse this again. Can they change something that a ref said after the fact? Obviously the outcome made no difference to San Diego, so I can see McCoy saying "Decline them both, lets get off the field". I cant imagine how they can enforce a penalty that was originally declined. That would open a gigantic can o worms. I cant ever remember that happening.

NFL.com has it as Murray 79 yds rushing, 38 yds receiving.

ESPN has it as 79 and 38.

Yahoo has it as 79 and 38.

This takes away 2 catches for another 10 yds that Murray "had."

They all have Cooper with 10 yds receiving on 2 receptions.

• Like 1

MFL has a feature which adjusts situations like this on Thursday, if there's a finding on it by league official scorers after the fact.

Yeah. This is BS. As stated above, a lot is riding on this week and surely there WILL be some affected by this when its all said and done. Who can we contact? NFL.com???

You can call the Elias Sports Bureau in NYC. They handle all the official stats. I've actually called them before and pointed stuff out. Haha, fantasy makes us crazy! Have to google their #.

Even the description listed isn't correct. As I believe Murray lateraled to Cooper just a few yards back, then Cooper threw 20 yards backwards or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QIg12f5bso

Not really sure how they accepted the penalty as it clearly said during the game that it was declined.

Whatever it's supposed to be it will be by time it's official. I don't think joe schmo calling will help

• Like 1

Exactly. Whatever it is, it will be. No amount of crying will change that. So, stop trying to convince everyone the way it works out best for you is the "right" call.

I suspect it's already decided.

Murray with a 19-79-1 and 5-38-0 line.

Cooper with a 2-10-0 line.

End of story. Get over it.

• Like 1

Exactly. Whatever it is, it will be. No amount of crying will change that. So, stop trying to convince everyone the way it works out best for you is the "right" call.

I suspect it's already decided.

Murray with a 19-79-1 and 5-38-0 line.

Cooper with a 2-10-0 line.

End of story. Get over it.

Settle down Francis

I too am shaking my head over this. Someone has to address it in the NFL because it makes no sense to we fans and we fans is what makes the NFL so great. Why would the NFL want us angry at them? Bad for business.

How have laterals been handled in the past, statistically? If someone goes 98 yards then laterals it back 97 yds resulting in a net gain of 1 yard, should the player that lateraled it be credited with 98 yds? I ask because I don't recall how they have been handled in the past and also on the latter point I feel the player that lateraled should only be credited for the net gain, but that's my opinion.

Laterals for a gain are considered return yards in the official scoring.

The biggest question is regarding the acceptance (or lack thereof) of the penalties.

During the broadcast they said both were declined. If that was the case, there's a lot of stats to figure out. But most importantly is the fact that DFS scoring already was affected, and in some cases fantasy championships could ultimately be decided on this potential scoring change.

The crux of all of this is wether both penalties were actually declined or not. If theres evidence that one was accepted, it doesnt matter how its scored.

As a side note, because this play occurred at the end of a half, the networks might have not stayed with the call long enough to have the ref say the penalty was ultimately accepted.

After all, as an opposing coach, why even allow yardage against your defense? Might as well accept a penalty and make your porous defense appear a bit better not giving up an extra 24 yards through the air.

As a side note, because this play occurred at the end of a half, the networks might have not stayed with the call long enough to have the ref say the penalty was ultimately accepted.

After all, as an opposing coach, why even allow yardage against your defense? Might as well accept a penalty and make your porous defense appear a bit better not giving up an extra 24 yards through the air.

You would think that Jim Nance and Phil Simms would have been aware if a penalty was accepted or not. If you watched the game, they were joking right before start of 3rd quarter about how the play was being scored.

The crux of all of this is wether both penalties were actually declined or not. If theres evidence that one was accepted, it doesnt matter how its scored.

No, the crux of all of this is that no matter what anyone on this forearm thinks or who anyone calls ( :lol: ), the NFL kinda knows what it's doing and this has been decided. Despite all of the cries to the contrary here. You guys can and moan all you want, you can "discuss" it like you're sitting at the table with the NFL rules committee if you want, but the fact is you aren't. On a board of ridiculous statements, the notion that we're discussing something that isn't already done decided, currently leads the pack of nonsensical fancy.

Good luck with that.

:doublethumbsup:

No, the crux of all of this is that no matter what anyone on this forearm thinks or who anyone calls ( :lol: ), the NFL kinda knows what it's doing and this has been decided. Despite all of the cries to the contrary here. You guys can ###### and moan all you want, you can "discuss" it like you're sitting at the table with the NFL rules committee if you want, but the fact is you aren't. On a board of ridiculous statements, the notion that we're discussing something that isn't already done decided, currently leads the pack of nonsensical fancy.

Good luck with that.

:doublethumbsup:

You lost me at "the NFL kinda knows what it's doing". And no, the play is not decided. The outcome yes, the way it's score, no. Or, do you just ignore stat corrections the week following games? All your banter is spoken like someone who is losing already because of Murray.

ETA... Yes, calling to complain is a little over the top. Waiting for final stat corrections, perfectly acceptable.

Laterals for a gain are considered return yards in the official scoring.

The biggest question is regarding the acceptance (or lack thereof) of the penalties.

During the broadcast they said both were declined. If that was the case, there's a lot of stats to figure out. But most importantly is the fact that DFS scoring already was affected, and in some cases fantasy championships could ultimately be decided on this potential scoring change.

I believe that's if the lateral hits the ground, ie a fumble.

In this play, Moss got a reception and receiving yards, Williams receiving yards and a TD, and Culpepper all the yardage and a passing TD.

You lost me at "the NFL kinda knows what it's doing". And no, the play is not decided. The outcome yes, the way it's score, no. Or, do you just ignore stat corrections the week following games? All your banter is spoken like someone who is losing already because of Murray.

ETA... Yes, calling to complain is a little over the top. Waiting for final stat corrections, perfectly acceptable.

Aaaaah, so all of this is to convinced yourselves of a hypothetical stat correction? Gotcha. And again, good luck with that!

And in the two leagues I'm facing Murray, I will win going away regardless of some hoped for "correction" of a pretty basic call. Stat corrections tend to be changing an assisted tackle to a solo tackle or a reception to a run, that sorta thing. But, again, good luck to you all! Must be rough to have a WHOLE season come down to a stat correction....or not.

To be honest, I think Murray exceeded his projections Thursday night and I am happy with what is on the board. But it would be nice to get a few extra points out of him. Maybe it will be a late Christmas present?

And in the two leagues I'm facing Murray, I will win going away regardless of some hoped for "correction" of a pretty basic call.

You're right, it was a pretty basic call as far as any of us know, including you. Two penalties were declined so the play should stand. All anyone wants is the correct call to be made in accordance with the rules. No more, no less. And all any of us have to go on is the fact that the ref said both penalties were declined. Do you have some insider info to the contrary? Are you just here to make fun of people for hoping that a just decision is made, or trying to convince everyone to deal with a bad call based on the info a available?

FWIW, the NFL.com play-by play lists this at the end of that play:

PENALTY on OAK-66-G.Jackson, Ineligible Downfield Pass, 0 yards, enforced at OAK 46 - No Play.

FWIW, the NFL.com play-by play lists this at the end of that play:

PENALTY on OAK-66-G.Jackson, Ineligible Downfield Pass, 0 yards, enforced at OAK 46 - No Play.

Correct... All i want to know how it went from both penalties declined to a penalty accepted. During the game, the box score notes had penalties declined, and then a few hours later it changed.

All anyone wants is the correct call to be made in accordance with the rules...hoping that a just decision is made...

C'mon man! You, and everyone else here, is only interested in the "just" call IF it helps you! Nothing more, nothing else. Every site I have seen has said there was a penalty (and if it's an official penalty, it WAS accepted - despite what anyone thinks or what was said or not) and therefore no play. Beyond that, everyone wishing for more is simply wishing for a mythical reversal so their fantasy team can gain a few points. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm just saying that it won't be coming. The official record was a penalty. A stat correction would require the NFL going back and saying, "No. The penalty was not declined and is therefore enforced." Won't happen. Sorry.

To be honest, I think Murray exceeded his projections Thursday night and I am happy with what is on the board. But it would be nice to get a few extra points out of him. Maybe it will be a late Christmas present?

Right , Merry Christmas .

not at all unhappy about the #'s that Murray put up, but I would definitely take the 1 more pass for 7 net yds. there's $$$ on the line, and every point counts.

• Like 1

not at all unhappy about the #'s that Murray put up, but I would definitely take the 1 more pass for 7 net yds. there's $$$ on the line, and every point counts.

If Murray ends up getting the points does it get taken away from Cooper? I have them both so if there is a correction it doesnt affect me.

C'mon man! You, and everyone else here, is only interested in the "just" call IF it helps you! Nothing more, nothing else. Every site I have seen has said there was a penalty (and if it's an official penalty, it WAS accepted - despite what anyone thinks or what was said or not) and therefore no play. Beyond that, everyone wishing for more is simply wishing for a mythical reversal so their fantasy team can gain a few points. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm just saying that it won't be coming. The official record was a penalty. A stat correction would require the NFL going back and saying, "No. The penalty was not declined and is therefore enforced." Won't happen. Sorry.

Don't know what game you were watching, but clearly on the field the refs stated that both penalties were declined. I am playing against Murray so I hope it stands as it was recorded, but I am not holding my breath and won't feel comfortable unless I win by more than the points in question.

In a free league (ESPN) I'm in, my opponent was changed at some time after this game was over. I sent an email to ESPN asking if there had been a change or if I was losing it. Relieved to find that I'm still somewhat here from their reply, part of their explanation was this: "The NFL has the opportunity to make additional stat/score changes between Tuesday and Saturday following the Monday night game. Scores and stats are "NFL certified" on Saturday."

I guess this could be interpreted to mean that the stats are not set until next Saturday (Jan 2) ?

I believe that's if the lateral hits the ground, ie a fumble.

In this play, Moss got a reception and receiving yards, Williams receiving yards and a TD, and Culpepper all the yardage and a passing TD.

I don't think Culpepper got a td. Seem to remember getting screwed.

They better fix this sh*t. I already got screwed out of 13 yards for Denard because the stat correction happened 'too late'.

I own LM and playing against AC....so I just go with official ruling. I don't get the hand wringing. Nobody is getting screwed

This directly affects the champ game in my league. Guy has Cooper and murray and lost by 2 points and has tiebreaker.