Sign in to follow this  
hoytdwow

AFC Championship - Patriots at Broncos Game Thread

Sunday, January 24, 3:05 PM on CBS

Patriots 3-point favorites

Weather looks to be a nonfactor, unlike last time New England journeyed to Mile High, when it was snowing.

Injuries again are a concern for the Pats, as Collins, Mayo and Jones are dinged up again.

I expect a lower scoring game. Probably come down to a turnover or something. Denver has a better defense but NE has a better offense.

• Like 1

Pats gotta protect Brady and avoid turnovers. If they do that I think they win because Denver isn't scoring a ton of points without a few golden opportunities

The biggest concern for this Pats fan is the "mystique" of Mile High and New England's rough history in that stadium.

I have a hard time picking Kubiak over Belichick or ancient-Manning over Brady.

This is a QB/Coach league - these 2 have more to do with wins and losses in the NFL (especially post season) than anyone else.

I respect Denver's D, but I'm not sure they are what SEA was last year. IMO, Denver is another opponent that features a really good defense with a mediocre offense... in a league that is designed to favor passing, offense, and scoring. Can Manning put up a 300+ yard, No Turnover performance? I'd bet against it - he hasn't done it all year.

In the end, it's the NFL - anything can happen - but a healthy NE should roll over DEN this week.

What worries me about the Broncos in this game is the fact they couldn't stop Gronk nor Chandler from imposing their will when Amendola and Edelman weren't in the lineup. Now with those two back, those linebackers are likely going to be exposed in coverage again.

What worries me about the Broncos in this game is the fact they couldn't stop Gronk nor Chandler from imposing their will when Amendola and Edelman weren't in the lineup. Now with those two back, those linebackers are likely going to be exposed in coverage again.

Add James White to the mix for NE - in the week 12 DEN / NE game, the Pats hadn't really figured out how to replace Dion Lewis (lost in week 9?). James White has become a reliable pass catcher out of the backfield - he's a safety valve for NE when trying to keep aggressive defensive fronts honest.

Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, Chandler, White all give Brady those short, 2-second drop-back targets that can neutralize the pass rush... 1, 2, ball is gone even if the d-line beat the o-line.

And NE's defense is respectable - for years, NE's D couldn't really make any plays now Collins, Jones, Hightower, Ninkovich, Sheard, Butler, McCourty are all capable of making plays, causing turnovers, sacks, fumbles, etc. It's the best NE's D has been since the /03, '04 seasons with Bruschi, Harrison, :Law, McGinnest, etc.

But... it's at Mile High... Denver is a home underdog... both "intangibles" I don't like.

My head says pick the Pats, but I keep coming back to the fact that a vastly inferior Chiefs team without Charles and Maclin and led by gutless check down master Alex Smith only lost by a TD in New England.

My head says pick the Pats, but I keep coming back to the fact that a vastly inferior Chiefs team without Charles and Maclin and led by gutless check down master Alex Smith only lost by a TD in New England.

Thats a good point. But, the NFL is a league of matchups and overall you have to think NE has more to offer. Its not the Ravens who've had NE's number for years now. If both teams play their best.... hmmm.... ought to be close. The fact that its in Denver makes it a "game" more than if it was in NE.

The chiefs were down 21-6 until the end of the 3rd quarter. They were never in the game.

• Like 1

The Chiefs... The Ravens... and now The Broncos....

The Chiefs (as mentioned above) were never really in that game.

The Ravens?

They've been one of the few teams that puts up a good fight against NE. But, IMO, the Ravens Defenses were better than Den's and Flacco could throw the long ball - BAL lived on their aggressive defense while their offense took shots down field - pound Brady and throw bombs on NE's weak secondary to either make a play or get a flag.

I don't think Manning can throw the bombs and I don't think DEN's defense is at the same level as those great Ravens D's or SEA last year.

It's not Pats arrogance or homerism talking here - just pure analysis based on what I've seen.

Den has the home crowd and NE's weak O-line in their favor - it means their pass rush has a chance *IF* Brady can't get rid of the ball quick enough and lately, with NE's offense healthy, the ball is out in under 2 seconds.

Guess you didn't actually watch that game

• Like 1

I'm curious how Bronco fans (and players) really feel about who should start at QB - Manning or Osweiler?

As a Pats fan, the "Manning" farewell could give DEN an emotional boost (like Ray Lewis did for BAL) but that's a "maybe"... is Manning really their best option at the QB position? and if DEN can't generate any offense in the first half, how quickly will we see Osweiler in there?

the Ravens who've had NE's number for years now.

Lizzy -

this is proof of how dominant the NE Dynasty has been - you consider going 3-9 (2-2 post season) against NE as "having their number"... if the Washington Generals ever beat the Globtrotters, I guess they'll "have their number" too. :doublethumbsup:

Lizzy -

this is proof of how dominant the NE Dynasty has been - you consider going 3-9 (2-2 post season) against NE as "having their number"... if the Washington Generals ever beat the Globtrotters, I guess they'll "have their number" too. :doublethumbsup:

Isn't Brady 2-6 in Denver? :dunno:

Lizzy -

The point is that twice the Ravens went in there and won a playoff game. NOT easy to do at all. But, OK, gotchya :)

If the Generals beat the Globetrotters...ehhh.... the universe may stop expanding. Or something.

Thinking about this game , been saying Patriots , but I'm going to make a change and bet on the Broncos . And I'm going to put just a little on the money line for a straight up bet also . Good luck .

The point is that twice the Ravens went in there and won a playoff game. NOT easy to do at all. But, OK, gotchya :)

If the Generals beat the Globetrotters...ehhh.... the universe may stop expanding. Or something.

:thumbsup:

nothing but respect for BAL.

I don't like them, but I respect them. Other teams that fall into that "respect" b/c they always play NE tough:

NYG

NYJ

DEN (especially at Mile High)

IND (Manning years)

SD (used to be on this list)

off the top of my head, these are the teams that seem to play NE frequently and "bring it" every time

Something to consider for those engaging in the final weekend of DFS:

Chris Harris Jr. lined up in the slot on 459 plays this season, including the playoffs. Talib and Roby were in the slot 254 plays combined

Could be a decent amount of Harris Jr. on Edelman

Something to consider for those engaging in the final weekend of DFS:

Chris Harris Jr. lined up in the slot on 459 plays this season, including the playoffs. Talib and Roby were in the slot 254 plays combined

Could be a decent amount of Harris Jr. on Edelman

did Talib spill the beans a bit in a recent press conference? When asked about needing to stop Tom Brady, he replied something along the lines of , "man, I gotta' stop Julian Edelman".

:dunno:

:thumbsup:

nothing but respect for BAL.

I don't like them, but I respect them. Other teams that fall into that "respect" b/c they always play NE tough:

NYG

NYJ

DEN (especially at Mile High)

IND (Manning years)

SD (used to be on this list)

off the top of my head, these are the teams that seem to play NE frequently and "bring it" every time

I feel the Patriots always play the NYG tough too. I give them respect for that.

Thinking about this game , been saying Patriots , but I'm going to make a change and bet on the Broncos . And I'm going to put just a little on the money line for a straight up bet also . Good luck .

Can't argue with that analysis

Oh yeah sorry , my analysis , the Broncos will score more points than the Patriots .

There is only one player in this game who is impossible to cover, Gronk. A healthy Gronk = a Patsies* win. Only way Dungver wins is if they sack Brady every time he drops back. I think they will get to him and keep him from putting up big numbers, I expect at least one Brady int. But he will stay upright just enough to toss two TD's to Gronk plus another one to one of the short white dudes and that will be enough to win it.

Pats have 17 players listed as questionable, including Jamie Collins, chandler jones and Julian Edelman. Collins and Jones left the KC game due to injury, I believe.

Probably just messing with Denver, but if there's anything to it that could make a huge difference.

The chiefs were down 21-6 until the end of the 3rd quarter. They were never in the game.

Doesn't change the fact that had they recovered an onside kick they could have tied the game.

Doesn't change the fact that had they recovered an onside kick they could have tied the game.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

If wishes were horses beggars would ride

Patriots health is the difference. If they're faking/putting on, victory via casual 4-11 yard gains and not giving up anything huge. If not, Denver is one or two big plays away from taking it just like they did in the CJ Anderson invincibility snow earlier this season.

I fear another 'Denver getting killed in the sb' situation so I'm 'pulling' for the pats at least a little. That and Goddell is clearly hoping the pats don't win again cam during the whole game would be wwe hilarity. Tom's resume is already enough for folks to say what they want about him. When he's playing, he's mostly winning. And he doesn't have unlimited cap on his side like Joe Joe. Some other time.

Patriots health is the difference. If they're faking/putting on, victory via casual 4-11 yard gains and not giving up anything huge. If not, Denver is one or two big plays away from taking it just like they did in the CJ Anderson invincibility snow earlier this season.

I fear another 'Denver getting killed in the sb' situation so I'm 'pulling' for the pats at least a little. That and Goddell is clearly hoping the pats don't win again cam during the whole game would be wwe hilarity. Tom's resume is already enough for folks to say what they want about him. When he's playing, he's mostly winning. And he doesn't have unlimited cap on his side like Joe Joe. Some other time.

I think I understand about every third word of this

:huh:

ajfg4q[w8tyu hgorhgwa80fga[0sj0sf :banana: :banana:

I move onto the next point pretty quickly since I trust that folks who watch football will follow.

But hey...I'm too longwinded sometimes...sorry guys. I'll work on it.

Let's see...

I have the Pats today. I think they're healthy enough. And I do not think Denver can get huge plays to make up for it. I'm a 6 on a scale of 1-10..with 10 being friggin sure and 1 being crapshoot.

Massive money from the public on the Pats. All the sharps are betting denver. Line opened at pats -3. 75% of the money went on new england, and the line stayed there. Denver is the pick.

• Like 1

Simple as it may sound, but I couldn't tell you definitely if the Pats are great against the run, seeing as it's not too often teams get to stick with the running game against them. So to me it's about the Denver D in this game, if they can allow the running game to be utilized, they have a good chance. But if they can't, the Pats win comfortably. Denver has no chance in a shoutout.

Everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that Peyton Manning is quarterbacking today. He stinks. He's got a rag arm. He is the reason the Broncos are going to get crushed today.

Inactives

Patriots: OL Tre Jackson, OT LaAdrian Waddle, DL Ishmaa'ily Kitchen, LB Jonathan Bostic, WR Chris Harper, DK Geneo Grissom

Broncos: OL Sam Brenner, CB Lorenzo Doss, NT Darius Kilgo, G Robert Myers Jr., CB Taurean Nixon, QB Trevor Siemian, RB Juwan Thompson

Guess you didn't actually watch that game

I did. If not for classic Reid clock debacle it would have been 7 pt game with a 2 minute warning and 3 timeouts left

Your implication it wasn't a close game defies logic when you take above into consideration. OP was correct that KC team was limping into the game