Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Credit Card Question

So as some of you know, my dad passed away three months ago and I have been taking care of my mom and their affairs. Dumb question: He has a credit card with a seventeen thousand dollar balance. What happens If I stop paying on it? My mom is still alive but her name is not on the CC account. I spoke with my accountant about it today and she said I should send them a letter explaining that there are no funds to pay this and send them a copy of the death certificate. Any of yous have any experience dealing with this?

So as some of you know, my dad passed away three months ago and I have been taking care of my mom and their affairs. Dumb question: He has a credit card with a seventeen thousand dollar balance. What happens If I stop paying on it? My mom is still alive but her name is not on the CC account. I spoke with my accountant about it today and she said I should send them a letter explaining that there are no funds to pay this and send them a copy of the death certificate. Any of yous have any experience dealing with this?

Similar situation with my Aunt many years ago. She was left with close to 100K that her husband had rolled up in CC debt that she had no idea about (he was a compulsive spender). It was erased, after a time. I cannot remember the details of how.

no one here owns or has ever used credit or a credit card. We pay everything straight cash homey.

Does not compute

• Like 1

no one here owns or has ever used credit or a credit card. We pay everything straight cash homey.

Does not compute

:thumbsup:

Does not compute

We make it rain with our empty credit card balances while we are banging our model-wives

Currently I do not believe they can go after siblings, etc., after the death of the card holder.

Your accountant seems to know what they are talking about, but by all means, inquire with your internet buddies on a low-rent internet message bored.

Currently I do not believe they can go after siblings, etc., after the death of the card holder.

Your accountant seems to know what they are talking about, but by all means, inquire with your internet buddies on a low-rent internet message bored.

......and lightly trafficked......

......and lightly trafficked......

:first:

Not sure about a spouse, but a sibling or child is not responsible for the debts of a parent or sibling.

Listen to the accountant and send the letter. What do you have to lose?

Not sure about a spouse, but a sibling or child is not responsible for the debts of a parent or sibling.

Why not, it's not like dad didn't benefit from the charges. I'd pay and not stick me with your bill.

So basically when I get older I can just run up my CC debt buying all kinds of stuff I deserve. Sweet!

So basically when I get older I can just run up my CC debt buying all kinds of stuff I deserve. Sweet!

Liberal way. They deserved it!

If you're not the cardholder you don't owe em sh1t.

But I believe they can go after the estate. So if the dead person has anything to their name I believe the CC company can make a claim on that.

Not my bag though so I could be wrong

Why not, it's not like dad didn't benefit from the charges. I'd pay and not stick me with your bill.

Dumb.

I went through this shizz when my dad died 10 years ago.

Tell the focks there is no money.

There is no law that debt passes from one generation to the next (or to the spouse).

They have no way to get any $ unless you volunteer it.

But I believe they can go after the estate. So if the dead person has anything to their name I believe the CC company can make a claim on that.

If there is an estate, they can get it from there. If there is nothing there, then they can't get anything

If there is an estate, they can get it from there. If there is nothing there, then they can't get anything

All that's left is life insurance money. Which is tax free? And untouchable?

Well I could be wrong but I think life insurance money is paid directly to the beneficiary and does not run through the estate. So yeah, think that would be untouchable too but again it's not my bag

I haven't read the rest, because why would I?

It varies from state to state, but in the case of my brother, despite all the threats, if your estate is less than 10 G's, the creditor's threats matter not.

On the flip side, if you form an actual estate, it is protected by virtually any and all creditors. Again, states matter. there are hassles to be sure, but this has been my life for a while now.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

When my brother died, a lot of companies tried to threaten my folks. It varies from state to state, but in his case, his estate was less than ten grand. I sent all them to me. They were legally and absolutely focked. Didn't stop them from claiming the most awful shiite aobut my parents credit and legal responsibilities. I had a ball rooning their respective days.

Estate law is entirely different. Again, seek counsel, but the Estate I established is focking bullet proof. Hit the penniless individual as much as you want, but the estate is sacrosanct. This what happens when your son and brothers are all lawyers and accountants.

Was for my brothers and I in Nebraska/Kansas.

When the fock collectors call you, don't let them know any life insurance even exists. Very unlikely they know about it unless you specifically tell them.

Even then, YOU are the benefactor.

Is there more to this story than you're letting on?

FYI, these collectors are pieces of shiot. My dad had lost his mind several years before passing and some biotch called me and said he owned a home and there was $$. I laughed at her and she said she thought it was great I was laughing at my dad dying.

Unless there's something you're holding back, don't take the calls and hang up and tell em there's no $$ if they get through. Advise the other life insurance benefactors the same.

Life insurance is income-tax free. It is still part of the estate regardless of the beneficiary, i.e. subject to estate tax if the estate is over $5+ million (which doesn't happen often).

But this is why you want a person named as the beneficiary on life insurance... so it does not flow through the estate (probate) and therefore no public paper trail for the CC company to find. But untouchable? No. This is why you absolutely don't mention it to the CC company.

Pay your debts. I'm surprised how weasely some of you are.

Dumb.

Spending 17k and take my kids on a trip of a lifetime. Stick it to the cc company when I die. Perfect example of what is wrong with our country. I'm surprised by your cavalier attitude in regards to this bunny. Man up, pay the debts to society. BTW, the reason your dad HAD life insurance was to pay any outstanding debts.

Spending 17k and take my kids on a trip of a lifetime. Stick it to the cc company when I die. Perfect example of what is wrong with our country. I'm surprised by your cavalier attitude in regards to this bunny. Man up, pay the debts to society. BTW, the reason your dad HAD life insurance was to pay any outstanding debts.

I am not a fake lawyer so I can't speak to the legal implications but why would it be BB's responsibility to pay debt his dad accrued?

I am not a fake lawyer so I can't speak to the legal implications but why would it be BB's responsibility to pay debt his dad accrued?

It's not bunny's issue. It's his mother's. And yes bunny, as long as they were still married, she is responsible for his debts.

Probably not legally, morally, I'll let you make your own decision on that. You see my stance though.

Fock yourself and get out of the thread, JTB.

Who are you again?

It's not bunny's issue. It's his mother's. And yes bunny, as long as they were still married, she is responsible for his debts.

And I'll bet his mother was a recipient of his life insurance. Therefore the debt should be paid, not sidestepped in my op-onion.

Probably not legally, morally, I'll let you make your own decision on that. You see my stance though.

That's my question: Why is BB morally obliged to pay someone else's debts?

Bunny doesn't owe em sh1t you focking retard. He didn't sign the credit card agreement and he didn't make the charges.

What, he's supposed to pay em out of the goodness of his hear? Fock those assh0les charging usurious interest rates to people who don't know any better.

And while we're talking about interest rates, don't you think this scenario is already built into the business plan? Of course it is you dumbass.

Why is she responsible for his debts? Not unless she signed the agreement. What a load of bullsh1t

Who are you again?

Excuse me? I've been here over 15 years. I've noticed your POS posts maybe the past two.

Whatever debt BB's father had with the cc company died the day he did.

Whatever life insurance BB and his fam has is theirs. Funerals aren't free. Headstones aren't free.

I don't know who the fock you think you are but BB is one of the most beloved posters here. If you wanna start shizz in this thread when BB just lost his pops, I'll get your ass banned just like I did Giants Fan.

Now stfu or watch me prove it.

Yeah, I would think that has to be it.

Reminds me of Medicaid's 'power to recover' (not sure if this has changed due to ACA legilslation)

Under Medicaid law, following the death of the Medicaid recipient a state must attempt to recover from his or her estate whatever long-term care benefits it paid for the recipient's care. States also have the option of recovering all Medicaid benefits from individuals over age 55, including costs for any medical care, not just long-term care benefits. However, no recovery can take place until the death of the recipient's spouse, or as long as there is a child of the deceased who is under age 21 or who is blind or disabled.

While states must attempt to recover funds from the Medicaid recipient's probate estate, meaning property that is held in the beneficiary's name only, they have the option of seeking recovery against property in which the recipient had an interest but which passes outside of probate. This includes jointly held assets, assets in a living trust, or life estates. Given the rules for Medicaid eligibility, the only probate property of substantial value that a Medicaid recipient is likely to own at death is his or her home.

Excuse me? I've been here over 15 years. I've noticed your POS posts maybe the past two.

Whatever debt BB's father had with the cc company died the day he did.

Whatever life insurance BB and his fam has is theirs. Funerals aren't free. Headstones aren't free.

I don't know who the fock you think you are but BB is one of the most beloved posters here. If you wanna start shizz in this thread when BB just lost his pops, I'll get your ass banned just like I did Giants Fan.

Now stfu or watch me prove it.

Go ahead and flex your muscle. Ban me. Now, go eff yourself.

Can't wait to charge up my cards and then not pay em off. Hell of a business plan.

Can't wait to charge up my cards and then not pay em off. Hell of a business plan.

I think that some folks are looking for you to die, too. :(