Sign in to follow this  
JTB

Baseball Solution

Admittedly, I haven't given this a ton of thought but I think a way the game can be changed is to only play 3 innings!

Here is the difference, there will be 9 or 10 batters and each batter hits each inning. The came can be played with similar rules other than any runners left on base at the end of the inning count is some way.

This will guarantee ONLY 27 or 30 plate appearances..maybe have 2 DH's. I think it will have a HR derby feel and be a smashing success.

Go ahead rip away!

Edit - start with a 2 & 1 count too!

You giving out participation trophies as well at the end of the season?

You giving out participation trophies as well at the end of the season?

No.

Money dictates the argument against my revolutionary ideas but I think these athletes are taxing their bodies way too much. Basically playing every single day has to take away their phenominal abilities. Many are playing at 80% of their potential after 30-40 games. Add in minor injuries and by midseason, lots are playing (and they still play) at 75% - 60% and even below 50%.

Too many games taxing these exceptional athletes abilities and overall health.

I think a 120 game regular season is max for the athlete. Also, I think back to back games should NEVER be played in different cities.

With travel, it just takes away from what the athlete can produce. I think we'd see better results if they rested more often. Five games in a week is plenty. And to go a step further, play occasional double-headers at 7 innings each game so players could have actual days off.

Playoffs could be 3 out of 5, too.

I'm not gonna go so far as to say limit ALL games to 7 innings but rarely do your best (starting) pitchers go more than 7 and then relievers come in and either limit the batter's chances of hitting better OR a lesser ability pitcher blowing leads that starters earned.

But money will never let any of this happen. Jmho.

Money dictates the argument against my revolutionary ideas but I think these athletes are taxing their bodies way too much. Basically playing every single day has to take away their phenominal abilities. Many are playing at 80% of their potential after 30-40 games. Add in minor injuries and by midseason, lots are playing (and they still play) at 75% - 60% and even below 50%.

Too many games taxing these exceptional athletes abilities and overall health.

I think a 120 game regular season is max for the athlete. Also, I think back to back games should NEVER be played in different cities.

With travel, it just takes away from what the athlete can produce. I think we'd see better results if they rested more often. Five games in a week is plenty. And to go a step further, play occasional double-headers at 7 innings each game so players could have actual days off.

Playoffs could be 3 out of 5, too.

I'm not gonna go so far as to say limit ALL games to 7 innings but rarely do your best (starting) pitchers go more than 7 and then relievers come in and either limit the batter's chances of hitting better OR a lesser ability pitcher blowing leads that starters earned.

But money will never let any of this happen. Jmho.

They are playing baseball, not football. HTH.

so much wrong with this yet for some reason im focusing on why start with a 2-1 count rather than simply change to 2 ball walks and 2 strike outs?

so much wrong with this yet for some reason im focusing on why start with a 2-1 count rather than simply change to 2 ball walks and 2 strike outs?

Would have to re-write the song?

In no particular order:

1. batter back in the box within 10 seconds of the pitcher getting the ball back from the catcher

2. pitcher pitches the ball within 15 seconds of getting the ball back from the catcher

3. pitcher/team gets only 1 pickoff attempt per inning.... if nothing else this could create more excitement with more stolen bases.

4. catcher gets no more than 2 visits to the mound per game

5. manager get no more than 1 visits to the mound per game. every other visit after 1 must be a pitching change.

6. intentional walks are initiated by the umpire telling the batter to take 1st base. no more throwing 4 lame azz balls.

Game flow is the key here. This will provide a steadier stream of action.

In no particular order:

1. batter back in the box within 10 seconds of the pitcher getting the ball back from the catcher

2. pitcher pitches the ball within 15 seconds of getting the ball back from the catcher

3. pitcher/team gets only 1 pickoff attempt per inning.... if nothing else this could create more excitement with more stolen bases.

5. manager get no more than 1 visits to the mound per game. every other visit after 1 must be a pitching change.

6. intentional walks are initiated by the umpire telling the batter to take 1st base. no more throwing 4 lame azz balls.

Do 1, 2, 6 now and see how we do. It won't change how the game is played.

In no particular order:

I would add that umpires be instructed to call the full strike zone also, which means the high strike. You get more strikes, batters will be forced to swing more, more balls in play, less full counts all equal more balls in play. And if umpires don't do it, I would show them a picture of the computer/laser technology that will soon be replacing them.

The downside, batters would have to be a little less selective and you might lose a .5-1 run a game. Doesn't bother me, but that's the big reason why owners really don't push this as an issue for speeding up the game.

Also, I don't want to waste any more time with owners/commissioner talking about making shifts illegal. If you can't hit/bunt to a completely open field, you deserve to be out when 8 guys play one side of the field against your one dimensional azz.

Also, I don't want to waste any more time with owners/commissioner talking about making shifts illegal. If you can't hit/bunt to a completely open field, you deserve to be out when 8 guys play one side of the field against your one dimensional azz.

This should be known as the Ryan Howard rule. :(

I would add that umpires be instructed to call the full strike zone also, which means the high strike. You get more strikes, batters will be forced to swing more, more balls in play, less full counts all equal more balls in play. And if umpires don't do it, I would show them a picture of the computer/laser technology that will soon be replacing them.

The downside, batters would have to be a little less selective and you might lose a .5-1 run a game. Doesn't bother me, but that's the big reason why owners really don't push this as an issue for speeding up the game.

7. Let QuesTec call ball & strikes. It's time already. I find it hard to believe players wouldn't want this. Fans would love it. An umpire behind the plate is still needed to keep track of things.

BTW, the game of baseball is fine the way it is, even with the stupid DH rule...

Agree.

BTW, the game of baseball is fine the way it is, even with the stupid DH rule...

8. It's time for the NL to adopt the DH rule. Pitchers cost too much these days, get them off the base paths for ####'s sake. They're embarrassing.

The only fixes needed are to get rid of the 5 minute between innings tv timeout, and that once you're in the batters box you can't leave it (the David Ortiz rule)

8. It's time for the NL to adopt the DH rule. Pitchers cost too much these days, get them off the base paths for ####'s sake. They're embarrassing.

See that just proves how clueless you are...

What's the question? How to make it worse?

See that just proves how clueless you are...

Bud Selig fan here I see. Too many blue hairs making decisions in mlb.

Salary cap...../thread

Wait 20 years for football to outlawed. White people don't care about NBA. No one really cares about NHL. MLB back in the driver's seat. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Bud Selig fan here I see. Too many blue hairs making decisions in mlb.

Couldn't stand Bud Selig...

Let steroids back in like the NFL