Sign in to follow this  
BobSanders_33

Late Round Rookie RB Hype Trains

I've had some success in recent years identifying rookie RBs that have come out of nowhere to contribute. A few years ago I was touting Alf Morris. Then it was Crowell and last year Thomas Rawls and Buck Allen. Here are two that people will not be talking about but have the talent and situation to make an impact.

Keith Marshall- The kid has a ton of talent and a roster in front of him set up. He looked great as a freshman but later regressed but impressed with excellent metrics at the combine. He only has Matt Jones in front of him and the coaches talk up Jones but he averaged 3.4 yards per on 144 carries and had ball security issues. There is not another complete back on the Washington roster.

DeAndre Washington- He looks good on tape with a Maurice Jones-Drew bowling ball style and 3 down skills. Oakland has put together a nice OL and they seemed not to be sold on Lat since they have been looking at adding another back the last two years but came up short. Behind this OL and with little talent in the Oakland backfield outside of Lat he would have a lot of potential if Lat went down.

I've had some success in recent years identifying rookie RBs that have come out of nowhere to contribute. A few years ago I was touting Alf Morris. Then it was Crowell and last year Thomas Rawls and Buck Allen. Here are two that people will not be talking about but have the talent and situation to make an impact.

Keith Marshall- The kid has a ton of talent and a roster in front of him set up. He looked great as a freshman but later regressed but impressed with excellent metrics at the combine. He only has Matt Jones in front of him and the coaches talk up Jones but he averaged 3.4 yards per on 144 carries and had ball security issues. There is not another complete back on the Washington roster.

DeAndre Washington- He looks good on tape with a Maurice Jones-Drew bowling ball style and 3 down skills. Oakland has put together a nice OL and they seemed not to be sold on Lat since they have been looking at adding another back the last two years but came up short. Behind this OL and with little talent in the Oakland backfield outside of Lat he would have a lot of potential if Lat went down.

Where do you get this Latavius Murray isnt liked in Oakland? I dont get how a team would dislike a player so much yet not bring in a serious running back to replace him. I own Latavius in one dynasty so i have been tracking his news. At first i bought it too since he didnt hit the expectations i had on him. Now i am starting to get pretty skeptical and i wonder why everyone keeps parroting Oakland wants to replace him so badly. Not saying Washington couldnt end up with a significant role, just think the hate for Lats isnt there.

Where do you get this Latavius Murray isnt liked in Oakland? I dont get how a team would dislike a player so much yet not bring in a serious running back to replace him. I own Latavius in one dynasty so i have been tracking his news. At first i bought it too since he didnt hit the expectations i had on him. Now i am starting to get pretty skeptical and i wonder why everyone keeps parroting Oakland wants to replace him so badly. Not saying Washington couldnt end up with a significant role, just think the hate for Lats isnt there.

My understanding was he was in the doghouse around mid season because of his blocking (or lack thereof) and had his reps cut back a bit for a couple of games. (pretty Typical for a young RB actually)

It is also my understanding that this issue seems to be over and done with, but it is worth watching to see if recurs.

that being said, I do NOT think he is on the bubble in Oakland. I do think they need a good backup and this is what Oakland has been looking for (and may now have)

I think there is a lot more there than we might think .

Good post about D Washington he will surly cut into Murrays production especially in ppr .

• Like 1

I think there is a lot more there than we might think .

Good post about D Washington he will surly cut into Murrays production especially in ppr .

Murray really didnt have a ton of production last year as a whole. I think Washington will take the snaps that other backup rbs have been taking in the past. But as far as cutting into Murrays actual stats, thats probably not going to happen since Murrays stats werent great to begin with. I see a better year actually coming for Murray, which would mean more points fantasy wise, the opposite of what you are saying there weepers

My understanding was he was in the doghouse around mid season because of his blocking (or lack thereof) and had his reps cut back a bit for a couple of games. (pretty Typical for a young RB actually)

It is also my understanding that this issue seems to be over and done with, but it is worth watching to see if recurs.

that being said, I do NOT think he is on the bubble in Oakland. I do think they need a good backup and this is what Oakland has been looking for (and may now have)

I hadn't heard this. Though Slats doesn't get high grades for his blocking he isn't a complete novice either. I'd be interested in seeing the source of this if you could provide a link?

The team did indeed show interest in workhorse running backs, often masking that by claiming to seek a backup, or compliment to Murray. But Doug Martin could hardly be called such.

It's my belief the team has limited confidence in Murray, though leadership has been very skilled at masking any personnel information this off season. Other than Zeke Elliott it's obvious there was no back in the draft who could come in and take his job outright. McKenzie really likes Washington, but I doubt the kid could handle the gig full time other than a few games stretch.

As for any injuries to Murray, keep a keen eye towards concussions. He's already had two of them in just a little over 300 carries. This is probably the main reason in the interest for Martin. Murray has poor vision, and his upright running style leaves him prone to head contact as he does not get low on hits.

Bob - what are your thoughts on Allen going into year two?

That is a tough one. His rushing YPC being sub 4.0 is not to like. His strong suit is catching the ball and he did a good job of that last year 5 or more catches in games where he had significant time including 12 receptions for 107 and a TD @Mia.

I just think that it is going to be too muddled for my liking. Forsett is a year older and coming off and injury so if he gets cut I will feel a little better. I don't think Taliafaro is a good fit for this offense. That and Forsett's age where to reasons I liked him last year. I'm also concerned with Kenneth Dixon being added to the mix. He is another good all around RB with an ability to catch balls. I loved Dixon going in to the draft and I like him long term but not this year.

http://www.scout.com/fantasy/story/1599023-raiders-rb-latavius-murray-likely-playing-through-injury

http://www.rotoballer.com/roy-helu-unseating-latavius-murray/280482

one article says he was playing hurt. the other says he was having trouble in the passing game (AKA-missing his blocking assignments)

Either way, I really dont think he is on the bubble. I think this is the growing pains a young RB goes through. Once he gets the blocking & blitz pickup down, he will get all the playing time he can handle.

I figure this year or next (more likely next) there will be a breakout.

http://www.scout.com/fantasy/story/1599023-raiders-rb-latavius-murray-likely-playing-through-injury

http://www.rotoballer.com/roy-helu-unseating-latavius-murray/280482

one article says he was playing hurt. the other says he was having trouble in the passing game (AKA-missing his blocking assignments)

Either way, I really dont think he is on the bubble. I think this is the growing pains a young RB goes through. Once he gets the blocking & blitz pickup down, he will get all the playing time he can handle.

I figure this year or next (more likely next) there will be a breakout.

His problems in the passing game stemmed from dropping passes. He had a couple horrible drops, and a fumble, in the Pittsburgh game. The same game incidentally in which he was concussed by Mike Mitchell. Do not discount what I referred to vis a vis his concussions. This is a serious issue with this kid's running style.

As far as breakout, he did gain 1,000 yards and finish second in the AFC in rushing. For all that, and considering his potential, I do feel like he underachieved. Maybe the coaches did as well.

His problems in the passing game stemmed from dropping passes. He had a couple horrible drops, and a fumble, in the Pittsburgh game. The same game incidentally in which he was concussed by Mike Mitchell. Do not discount what I referred to vis a vis his concussions. This is a serious issue with this kid's running style.

As far as breakout, he did gain 1,000 yards and finish second in the AFC in rushing. For all that, and considering his potential, I do feel like he underachieved. Maybe the coaches did as well.

how many concussions has he had?

how many concussions has he had?

He's had two, but each was very serious to the point he was knocked out and even fumbled the ball. But what's important is the manner in which he was hit- facemask-to-facemask frontal blows in which the defender came at him and he seemingly could not protect himself.

Murray needs to learn to get low on contact, and protect himself better. You could argue both hits were illegal, but then neither came with a flag thrown. What's more ironic is that Murray hasn't missed significant time to jnjury these last two seasons, save from being placed in concussion protocol. It should also be added he bounced right back in both instances, where other players have missed multiple games. As a Raider fan I'm telling you this is a real concern with this kid.

Howard? Anybody? I'm not really that impressed with what I saw from Langford when you look deeper.

I like Howard but he doesn't catch the ball or pass block well. I don't think Langford is worth the 2nd rounder that some are projecting but he did do OK and Ka'Deem Carry is also another decent RB. I just find it hard to see a monster workload that would give him sleeper breakout status.

Tyler Ervin is someone I'm keeping an I on for ppr. Still not sure where exactly he will fit in the Texans game plan. I would assume special teams, 3rd downs, and lined up at Wr. He can catch the ball and has the speed to take it all the way.

Just throwing out 2 guys with decent situations, Marshall and Smallwood. Marshall is very talented, and Smallwood seems to be a natural fit systematically.

Any opinions?

Just throwing out 2 guys with decent situations, Marshall and Smallwood. Marshall is very talented, and Smallwood seems to be a natural fit systematically.

Any opinions?

I like both of those guys based on situation. I don't think Mathews is anything special by any stretch, jones is a more interesting guy, but he hasnt been overly impressive either. Who knows if they'll be any better, but it's not much of an investment.

I really like Alex Collins out of Arkansas going to the Seahawks. He's got Rawls ahead of him of course and they drafted a RB even higher than him but if injuries happen I see him as being a perfect fit for Seattle. To me, he could be one of those "no name" guys everyone is bidding like crazy to get later in the season a la Thomas Rawls.

I really like Alex Collins out of Arkansas going to the Seahawks. He's got Rawls ahead of him of course and they drafted a RB even higher than him but if injuries happen I see him as being a perfect fit for Seattle. To me, he could be one of those "no name" guys everyone is bidding like crazy to get later in the season a la Thomas Rawls.

I like Collins talent to some extent, and he performed well in three seasons in the SEC, but IMO the Seahawks fantasy RB situation is about to become a helluva mess. Rawls is the incumbant starter but the existence of CJ Procise basically makes Rawls (or whoever the starter is) a two down back. Collins will get some touches im sure, and that will eat away at Rawls value. At this point Alex Collins just sounds like Touchdown Vulture to me. And dont forget that they resigned Christine Micheal. He is still only 25 and if he ever gets his head screwed on straight, he is the most talented back on the roster. Pete Carol has gone out of his way to praise Micheal's improvement since rejoining the Hawks, going so far as to say he expected Rawls and Micheal to be the teams One-Two punch at RB. Maybe its coachspeak, but it was around this time last year that Caroll started talking positively about a little know UDFA RB named Thomas Rawls. I foresee a muddled RBBC forming in the northwest as we speak.

And its all brought down another level by the fact that Russell Wilson will probably throw the ball 600 times this year, suppressing the entire running game a bit. They arent paying him 90 million dollars to hand the ball off 40 times a game.

I don't like Alex Collins, mostly because of situation and fumbling issues. They didn't just draft 1 back they drafted 3 backs this year with Rawls returning. That sounds like a throw at the wall to see what sticks scenario, mix in the fumbling issues and I don't feel great about it. I also don't think he's really great in any particular area...might be a worse version of Rawls honestly.

Bills 5th round pick Jonathan Williams might be worth a flyer. Karlos Williams got off to a good start last season but tailed off sharply towards the end of the season. I can see the new Williams moving past Karlos and the Bills should still run a lot this year.

Bills 5th round pick Jonathan Williams might be worth a flyer. Karlos Williams got off to a good start last season but tailed off sharply towards the end of the season. I can see the new Williams moving past Karlos and the Bills should still run a lot this year.

There are so many backs worth taking a flier on but limited space on a fantasy roster. I like to keep it to one thing happening. The guys I mentioned above are one thing happening away. Alfred Morris was just passing Royster. In Crowell's rookie season it was Ben Tate who couldn't stay healthy. Last year after C-Mike was shipped Rawls was just an injury away from a high mileage RB.

Johnathan Williams would first need McCoy who is still young but high mileage to go down. He would need to surpass Karlos Williams who ran for 5.6 ypc and scored 9 TDs last year. Then he would have to position himself from getting work load taken by Gillislee who ran for 5.7 ypc and rushed for TDs in 3 of his last 5 games. All of that coming off of not playing last year do to a foot injury. It all could happen but too many things have to work out for my liking.

murray is pretty much done in oak.

Respectfully, this is probably the most uninformed job of throwing shite against the wall I've ever seen.

I dont mind if you make a statement like this and you back it up with facts, or some other information to backup what you are saying, but you have provided nothing here. Just a statement saying hes done.

how bout an explanation as to why you think this is the case?

I dont mind if you make a statement like this and you back it up with facts, or some other information to backup what you are saying, but you have provided nothing here. Just a statement saying hes done.

how bout an explanation as to why you think this is the case?

Because .

Who is going to be their top runner then? They didnt sign or draft a starting running back.

Justin Fargas :ninja:

Cornerback from Michigan? Kid'll never make it at RB. :rolleyes:

Heard that his dad was a snitch

Cornerback from Michigan? Kid'll never make it at RB. :rolleyes:

Safety, wasn't he?